Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 670747 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #3150 on: January 11, 2011, 04:55:17 PM »
Apparently, if push comes to shove and heavy piracy arises due to the recent PS3 security breaches, Sony has the technology to remotely disable any PS3 connected to the internet regardless of whether it has a Playstation Network Account.  This is because the PS3 routinely reports back to Sony about what software has been run on your PS3 (ok, that's a little frightening), so Sony can just look at your software history; see that you have run illegal software; and then remotely disable your PS3 via internet.  On the one hand, it is nice that Sony has a way to deal with pirates.  On the other hand, although Sony likely won't do it, it is very unsettling that Sony has the capability (and possibly legal right?) to shut down and lock my PS3 any time they don't like what I've been playing.  I don't like where this is heading...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:52:02 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: January 11, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »
You said the P word...

Playstation

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3152 on: January 11, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »
I guess they may start with the person in this image. Yes, that is someone running an SNES emulator on their PS3.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: January 11, 2011, 11:31:18 PM »
Apparently, if push comes to shove and heavy piracy arises due to the recent PS3 security breaches, Sony has the technology to remotely disable any PS3 connected to the internet regardless of whether it has a Playstation Network Account.  This is because the PS3 routinely reports back to Sony about what software has been run on your PS3 (ok, that's a little frightening), so Sony can just look at your software history; see that you have run illegal software; and then remotely disable your PS3 via internet.  On the one hand, it is nice that Sony has a way to deal with pirates.  On the other hand, although Sony likely won't do it, it is very unsettling that Sony has the capability (and possibly legal right?) to shut down and lock my PS3 any time they don't like what I've been playing.  I don't like where this is heading...
Technically Nintendo and Microsoft have the "technology" to do this too, and the Wii and Xbox 360 push your gaming history to their respective domains as well. I don't think Sony has the right to actually do this, since there hasn't been any legal precedent set for the PS3 JailBreak - and if it ends up being anything like the iPhone, then it's perfectly legal. I don't think Sony is stupid enough to even attempt something like this (actually breaking consoles), and I think Nintendo has set the perfect example for how to deal with hackers - if they update, remove their homebrew. Of course the simple thing to do is just turn off your PS3's internet connection if you're worried.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: January 12, 2011, 10:14:37 AM »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:46:32 PM by UncleBob »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: January 12, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »
Well, Sony's made their first move by filing a legal restraining order against hacker George Hotz (aka geohot) and members of the team failOverflow, which would require these people to hand over their PCs etc. as well as cease distributing the hack.  Interesting move, which could lead to a lawsuit.  I'd been wondering why Sony hadn't yet sued Hotz ever since he declared himself the one responsible for the hack.  This is unlikely to do much to deter the spread of the hack, now that it is out on the internet, but it does indicate that Sony is going to actively fight this.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: January 12, 2011, 02:44:55 PM »
This is going to end up bad for Sony. First, you can't copyright numbers, and geohot didn't use Sony SDK or anything to create his tools, neither did anyone in fail0verfl0w, even if they end up being able to bring charges against anyone (which I doubt they will), it will probably be decided that jailbreaking your PS3 (just like the iPhone) is perfectly legal, if piracy is not your goal.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: January 12, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »
And just to show that no one is scared of Sony's bullshit...

...it's been mirrored on several sites now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: January 12, 2011, 04:36:06 PM »
You're right, though: if Sony actually goes through with it and takes it to court, they'll end up making things even worse for themselves.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: January 12, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »
Well, they are officially taking it court now.

I can see a lot of the charges being dropped, but the fact remains that they posted their jailbreaking method for the purpose of helping others to do it, which is in fact, illegal.

We'll see what happens I guess.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: January 12, 2011, 04:53:17 PM »

I can see a lot of the charges being dropped, but the fact remains that they posted their jailbreaking method for the purpose of helping others to do it, which is in fact, illegal.

Are you a lawyer? Last time I checked, freedom of speech wasn't illegal.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: January 12, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »

Are you a lawyer? Last time I checked, freedom of speech wasn't illegal.

Let's not start this again, please...both of you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: January 12, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »

How exactly is it illegal? Jailbreaking a phone is explicitly legal, so long as you're not doing illegal things with it, so why shouldn't jailbreaking a game console be the same? And if it's legal to do something, then it's legal to tell other people how to do it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3163 on: January 12, 2011, 05:00:54 PM »
Freedom of speech only applies to government censorship. The change to the DMCA only allows you to jailbreak for lawful programs. I am not a legal expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is illegal to tell others how to hack their system. It's the same way that various court rulings have said you can mod your system, but it's illegal to do it for others.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: January 12, 2011, 05:51:58 PM »
To teach a man how to fish and to fish for him are two very different things.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: January 12, 2011, 08:21:15 PM »
Thank you BnM, I don't know if you were agreeing with me, but that is all I was saying.

Everyone is free to jailbreak a device they payed for, with the realization that they in doing so they void the warranty and risk bricking their system.

It is however, illegal to jailbreak someone elses device, even if they ask you to do it. I don't make the rules, but those are they, and freedom of speech has its limits; .... There was a pedophile recently arrested because he wrote and self-published a book about how to be a pedophile (there are some entrapment concerns with the case, but even if they rule it was entrapment, it'll likely just become a federal case and he'll be jailed and raped and beaten like all pedophiles deserve... but I digress). I don't agree with Sony's stance, but I understand it, and I think they may have a case, but like I said; I guess we'll see.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:31:45 AM by vudu »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: January 12, 2011, 08:26:40 PM »
Thank you BnM, I don't know if you were agreeing with me, but that is all I was saying.

Everyone is free to jailbreak a device they payed for, with the realization that they in doing so they void the warranty and risk bricking their system.

It is however, illegal to jailbreak someone elses device, even if they ask you to do it. I don't make the rules, but those are they, and freedom of speech has its limits; .... There was a pedophile recently arrested because he wrote and self-published a book about how to be a pedophile (there are some entrapment concerns with the case, but even if they rule it was entrapment, it'll likely just become a federal case and he'll be jailed and raped and beaten like all pedophiles deserve... but I digress). I don't agree with Sony's stance, but I understand it, and I think they may have a case, but like I said; I guess we'll see.
No, it is not. I don't know where you got that information from, but it's not true, and it doesn't apply to geohot (coincidentally he's the same guy that came out with the iPhone jaibreak) and Sony anyway.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:32:09 AM by vudu »

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: January 12, 2011, 08:30:59 PM »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:32:22 AM by vudu »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: January 12, 2011, 08:58:14 PM »
I don't know the law but I think it's illegal for others to pay you to jailbreak.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3169 on: January 12, 2011, 09:12:57 PM »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:32:39 AM by vudu »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: January 12, 2011, 09:34:59 PM »
... I'm pretty sure it's legal to be compensated for jailbreaking/unlocking someone else's phone too (especially if they don't know how to do it), you just can't sell it with any pirated apps installed.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:32:57 AM by vudu »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: January 12, 2011, 10:28:29 PM »
George Hotz and his lawyer respond to Sony. Good read. I'm no judge, but i have a feeling this case will be dismissed.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: January 13, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
OJ Simpson in a Sony thread?  Seriously guys?  Cut it out.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: January 13, 2011, 09:46:03 AM »
WHAT DID I JUST SAY
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:35:35 AM by vudu »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: January 13, 2011, 09:58:02 AM »
OJ Simpson in a Sony thread?  Seriously guys?  Cut it out.

This is why I stayed the hell out after the first time. You just know there is going to be some seriously messed up analogies getting fired off in every which direction and someone is going to get shot.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?