Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 669012 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Sony getting hit Hard lately
« Reply #3075 on: July 16, 2010, 01:25:04 PM »
It takes me about 5 seconds to adjust, it's no big deal to me (or my friends that have both).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: July 16, 2010, 04:36:36 PM »
i love the xbox 360 controller so adjusting isn't a big deal.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: July 16, 2010, 06:25:28 PM »
It's funny how people rag on Nintendo for doing something different just for the sake of being different, and that's exactly what Sony did with its controllers and their shapes instead of letters...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: July 16, 2010, 06:48:19 PM »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3079 on: July 16, 2010, 07:59:24 PM »
They stole that from Nintendo, too! I knew it! :P
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: July 17, 2010, 04:34:56 AM »
Sony should redesign their controller to have a four-leaf clover button, heart button, and a horseshoe button.

But in all seriousness, it would have done wonders if the buttons were actually shaped like the shapes that represent them. For example, the square button should be square, and the triangle should be well, a triangle... why the hell couldn't that have been done? That way you wouldn't have to look, because you could physically feel with your fingers exactly what button you were pressing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:37:19 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: July 17, 2010, 12:35:37 PM »
Sony should redesign their controller to have a four-leaf clover button, heart button, and a horseshoe button.

But in all seriousness, it would have done wonders if the buttons were actually shaped like the shapes that represent them. For example, the square button should be square, and the triangle should be well, a triangle... why the hell couldn't that have been done? That way you wouldn't have to look, because you could physically feel with your fingers exactly what button you were pressing.

For starters, pressing an X-shaped button would be awkward.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: July 17, 2010, 01:23:33 PM »
Then make that one a different shape. Rectangle? Octagon?

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: July 17, 2010, 01:36:39 PM »
Rectangle would be confused with a square if it's too small, and would be both ugly and more prone to accidental contact if it was made big enough to make a difference.  The octagon would be confused with the circle.  Additionally, I think pressing the triangle would feel awkward and jaggy on the finger, so it's probably not a good shape either.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: July 17, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »
If Sony cared about comfort over appearance, they wouldn't have created a symmetrical controller with a "disconnected" d-pad, and buttons designated by shapes instead of letters.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: July 17, 2010, 02:02:09 PM »
If Sony cared about comfort over appearance, they wouldn't have created a symmetrical controller with a "disconnected" d-pad, and buttons designated by shapes instead of letters.

I'm actually pretty convinced that those decisions, along with the grips and extra shoulder buttons, were done primarily to avoid a lawsuit with Nintendo.  "See your honor?  Shapes, not letters!  Not-really-a-D=Pad!  Moar buttons!  Not a patent infringement at all!"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: July 17, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »
They could just make every button a triangle and point them all in different directions.

< ^ v >

That would be pretty easy to feel around with out having to look down.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: July 17, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »

For starters, pressing an X-shaped button would be awkward.

Not really. You could feel the x-shape with your finger and not have to look down at it. What would be awkward about it? It would be less awkward than it is now where the buttons have the same shape and size.

ETA: I think I can see what you mean if we were talking about a skinny stick-figure type X button, but it doesn't have to be like that. It could be a thick fat X.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:44:12 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: July 17, 2010, 02:48:52 PM »

I'm actually pretty convinced that those decisions, along with the grips and extra shoulder buttons, were done primarily to avoid a lawsuit with Nintendo.  "See your honor?  Shapes, not letters!  Not-really-a-D=Pad!  Moar buttons!  Not a patent infringement at all!"

True, but the layout is the same. They basically took an SNES controller and addred grips, disconnected the D-Pad, and named the buttons after Shapes. But if you put those changes aside, its pretty blatantly a rip-off of the SNES controller. Then right after the N64 came out Sony ripped off the Analog stick concept and tacked them on in the most un-ergonomic positions. The Playstation controller hasn't changed at all since then, except for the addition of wireless and SIXAXIS. In every other respect its the same (oh, and the home button too).
is your sanity...

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: July 17, 2010, 03:04:06 PM »
I'm not sure how you can consider the PS3 d-pad worse than the 360.  The 360 is barely usable.

Correct. And I used to think the 360 controller was better then the DS. But after switching between both versions of GTA4 I must say I feel like I am significantly more comfortable with the dual shocks analog sticks than with the 360.

I suggest trying it for yourself and seeing if you agree. However, the shapes are real retarded.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3090 on: July 17, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »
I don't get the problems with the d-pad. It may not be the best one i've seen, but it is more than good enough.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: July 17, 2010, 03:19:08 PM »
I don't get the problems with the d-pad. It may not be the best one i've seen, but it is more than good enough.

The 360 one? Almost think its dependent on the controller. I think maybe there are just faulty ones out there, however, the design isn't as nice as the Nintendo d-pad or the Sony pad.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3092 on: July 17, 2010, 04:49:02 PM »
The 360 d-pad, i believe, is an 8-way d-pad.  8 sounds better than 4, but combine that with how it's designed, and it's next to impossible to reliably press one direction, without accidentally pressing the diagonal near by.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: July 17, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
The PS3 d-pad is great for navigating the menus, but I wouldn't want to play a game with it. The 360 d-pad is just plain terrible. I've finally gotten used to the positions of the shapes on the PS3, but I still can't stand how it feels in my hands; they really didn't consider ergonomics at all when designing it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: July 17, 2010, 05:48:18 PM »
In my opinion, the worse aspect of the Dualshock controller is the handles.  They're just incredibly uncomfortable for me.  If we're comparing it to the SNES pad of which it's inspired, it actually provide less grip.  The best analogy I can conceive is it's like hugging an anorexic chick; you just wish she'd put on weight so there'd be something more to hug.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3095 on: July 17, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »
The 360 d-pad, i believe, is an 8-way d-pad.  8 sounds better than 4, but combine that with how it's designed, and it's next to impossible to reliably press one direction, without accidentally pressing the diagonal near by.

I've had that problem with the 360 controller. I think it's just the positioning though because I have the same issue with the PS3 controller.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: July 17, 2010, 07:56:38 PM »
I find the DualShock D-Pad great for 2-D games (<3 <3 <3 Braid), AWFUL for fighting games. I can't play Marvel Vs. Capcom with that fricking D-Pad. At all.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: July 17, 2010, 09:16:40 PM »
Isn't every D-pad 8-way?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: July 18, 2010, 01:01:55 AM »

My main gripe is that its in the wrong spot. However, the fact its a detached D-pad is also a cause for criticism.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3099 on: July 18, 2010, 02:09:19 AM »
I was talking about the 360 one, I don't like the PS3 one.