Author Topic: Quick and Dirty Review: Xbox 360 + Burnout Revenge  (Read 3243 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Quick and Dirty Review: Xbox 360 + Burnout Revenge
« on: May 15, 2006, 11:14:25 AM »
I had my first decent hands-on with the Xbox 360 on the weekend, playing one level of Burnout Revenge and watching my friends play a couple of others.

The system:  Pumped out some pretty nice graphics.  The explosions and stuff were cool, though the traffic in the game was surprisingly barren.  My friend is not running an HDTV, but to my surprise the game still looked noticeably better than anything I've played elsewhere.  Almost as good as the HDTV 360 displays I've seen at the mall, so either this is one of the best looking games on the system, or HDTV is overrated.  You decide!

The controller: I've heard so much praise for it...it is nice, but I'd put it on about equal footing with the GameCube controller, personally.  The button layout works for more types of games, but it's harder to remember which face button you're pushing.  I've said it many times before, but the Super Nintendo got it right with the different-shaped face buttons, why doesn't anyone realize that?  The triggers also felt a little funny, but it was very comfortable overall.  The right analog stick is better than Nintendo's c-stick, as was the case with the old Xbox controller.

The game: What have they done to poor Burnout?  Okay, this is still a fun game with a lot of the basic Burnout elements, but compared to Burnout 2 (a.k.a. the one I've played), it just doesn't require the same finesse and skill.  You can purposely rear-end traffic going the same way as you, and the boost meter fills so easily you almost never have to wait.  Traffic was also surprisingly thin on the tracks I saw, and the crashes felt less realistic.  Most notably, when you rear-end someone, they go flying ahead of you without slowing you down at all, killing the sensation of realism that the graphics are trying to provide.  Okay, the Burnout series isn't noted for realism, but the physics feel "wrong" even for the Burnout universe.  Overall, it's still a fun game that would probably be in my collection if I owned an Xbox 360, but in my brief play session, this game completely failed to capture the intensity that made Burnout 2 a legendary racing game.

The verdict: I had fun, but was it $500 CDN worth of fun?  No.  Basically the price is too steep, until Microsoft drops it by at least $100, I'll save my money, thanks.  Xbox heads who love Project Gotham and First Person shooters probably wouldn't be disappointed, but I still don't think this system's cost is justified by the games or the hardware.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Quick and Dirty Review: Xbox 360 + Burnout Revenge
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 01:38:32 AM »
either this is one of the best looking games on the system, or HDTV is overrated. You decide!

HD is overrated. When you're busy playing you don't notice the jump in resolution. The XCircle is much more powerful than the XBox so of courseit's going to look better. Compared current gen console games with PC games lately?

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 09:34:09 AM »
I agree on the ontroller thing

still, it's a big step uo over the fugly XBox controller.....

and yeah, HD is so overrated.....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Quick and Dirty Review: Xbox 360 + Burnout Revenge
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 12:13:44 PM »
Way out of date responses:

KDR: I know current PC games are similar to Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, but I was thinking more in terms of other consoles...my fault, I've always been console-centric.

Also, I played a little more of Burnout.  I'm happier with it now, but it still doesn't match up to Burnout 2 in my opinion, for most of the same reasons I mentioned in my first post.  Also, I was shocked to hear that the game locks up whenever you select particular track, that's a HUGE bug.  I don't know if my friend just has a defective copy of the game, but if not that's a giant oversight.

Finally, I got a taste of the "dashboard".  I don't know why everyone is so crazy about this thing, I don't want my console to have a complicated Windows-like interface.  I accidentally got into it twice because the dashboard button is way more prominent than the start button, I got lost in it, and had to be navigated out by my friend both times.  No thanks.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Quick and Dirty Review: Xbox 360 + Burnout Revenge
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 06:22:36 AM »
I have Burnout: Revenge for my XBox. Graphics-wise, it looks very good. I can only assume that the X360 version, looks even more realistic - but this game is a huge disappointment. Yes it's fun, but the gameplay is over simplified now. I loved the first 2 Burnout games, which I have for my GameCube. The first two games, offered a challenge. I've never played the 3rd one - though I have been thinking about picking it up just for the sake of owning all 4 games. With Revenge, it seems like all they worked on was making the game look good, but didn't even try to make it challenging. The only way to crash is if you hit a wall, another vehicle head-on or rear-end large trucks.

I like the XBox "S" controller. To me, it's laid-out very similarly to the GameCube controller and just as comfortable. I aboslutely hate Sony's controllers. They've always felt awkward to me and it looks like the PS3's will be just as clunky.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 04:01:30 AM »
Burnout 3: Takedown is hands down my favorite. Tons of courses, huge challenge and a bunch of fun. None of the other Burnouts come close to the awesomeness of 3, IMO. I suggest all of you go pick it up ASAP you won't be disappointed if you are fans of 2.
Check out PixlBit!