Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl  (Read 351553 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #650 on: June 30, 2006, 09:23:00 PM »
Let's just be frank, Nintendo is not going to go to Interplay with the plan to fill one of the 2-3 third party character slots with someone whose franchise is dead today.

That'd be difficult anyway since Interplay is dead. I think Shiny got the rights to EWJ back (or kept them in first place?)

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 30, 2006, 09:53:57 PM »
Earthworm Jim is being re-released on PSP, why would it be on Wii? (and why would anyone want it)
Gex is a cooler character then EWJ

If anything, Rockman exe would be a good choice, hes 100% nintendo exclusive (ignoring the wonderswan game)  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #652 on: June 30, 2006, 09:57:59 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
That'd be difficult anyway since Interplay is dead. I think Shiny got the rights to EWJ back (or kept them in first place?)

I thought I had heard about that as well, but IGN doesn't mention it at all and the Interplay site is still up (regardless of how awful it looks):

http://games.ign.com/objects/025/025034.html

From the sounds of it, Interplay is still around, although they are caught up in a heaping pile of legal troubles at the moment (regardless, it appears that they wouldn't be in the possition to give out the EWJ rights anyway).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #653 on: July 01, 2006, 04:31:36 AM »
Ha.

I have said it once, and I will say it again.

The list of 3rd party characters will be:

Mega Man
Bomberman
Sonic
Snake

That is it.  Period...and they will be like the last characters you unlock (if they need unlocking.)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 01, 2006, 08:23:37 AM »
Ax Sonic.  I hate to say this but Bomberman shows up on all the platforms and has good roots with Nintendo.  Same with  Megaman but less platforms still solid roots.  Snake is iffy but I'm sure there was more then just begging going on.  

Sonic on the other hand is well Sonic.  There is too much brand recognition tied to him.  Sega is still associated with hardware even though they no longer make it.  Introducing Sonic would only raise more problems then it's worth.  If you did Sonic why not Knuckles?  Or Tails?  Or Vector-Man? or <Insert notable Sega game character that people have been itching to fight together with Nintendo >  Sonic has always been preceived as the Anti-Mario.  If they touch the world would end.  Intense rivals in a way.  Incompatible in others.  Those other you mentioned has roots to the "Retro Age"  and those are with Nintendo.  Sonic Decidedly not so.

I encourage the inclusion of Bomberman.  Not so much of either Megaman or Sonic.  (I like Megaman a lot and Sonic a fair amount.)  I rather see Simon Belmont instead.  A Konami character with strong brand recognition with no System association.  Good solid NES-SNES roots and good current Nintendo support.  A lot of slack to play with in terms of moves and design, if based off of Castlevaine(sp? Tired) 3 you could be getting 4 characters for one.  Also giving this more thought then I should, I think what would be best is to find something that was popular and nostalgic in each one of the Generations on Nintendo platforms that just didn't stand the test of time.

These are all my opinions and the design team will do what they want but they are treading a fine line especially because we want the cast of millions that feels like the cast of few.  Videogame share some common things but we all have are favorite characters for different reasons.

Ceric's popularity -6
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 01, 2006, 11:33:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang

That is it.  Period...and they will be like the last characters you unlock (if they need unlocking.)

Sakurai said in one of his responses on the Japanese website that since 3rd party charactors are guests, they will need to be unlocked.

Even though with Melee, Nintendo didn't offically start revealing secret charactors until the game was released, I get the feeling they'll revealed Sonic is in the game sometime before it's release just to get the videogame world going crazy and create even more hype.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 01, 2006, 04:46:54 PM »

Originally posted by: DeadlyD
Earthworm Jim is being re-released on PSP, why would it be on Wii? (and why would anyone want it)
Gex is a cooler character then EWJ

Um, that's like saying Solid Snake is on the PlayStation 3, why would anyone want Metal Gear Solid on the Wii?

Gex may be "cooler", but his character has far less depth and is a bit too static.  What makes Gex cool are the little sarcastic comments he makes, not the zany actions that he does.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 01, 2006, 08:24:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Ax Sonic.  I hate to say this but Bomberman shows up on all the platforms and has good roots with Nintendo.  Same with  Megaman but less platforms still solid roots.  Snake is iffy but I'm sure there was more then just begging going on.  

Sonic on the other hand is well Sonic.  There is too much brand recognition tied to him.  Sega is still associated with hardware even though they no longer make it.  Introducing Sonic would only raise more problems then it's worth.  If you did Sonic why not Knuckles?  Or Tails?  Or Vector-Man? or <Insert notable Sega game character that people have been itching to fight together with Nintendo >  Sonic has always been preceived as the Anti-Mario.  If they touch the world would end.  Intense rivals in a way.  Incompatible in others.  Those other you mentioned has roots to the "Retro Age"  and those are with Nintendo.  Sonic Decidedly not so.

I encourage the inclusion of Bomberman.  Not so much of either Megaman or Sonic.  (I like Megaman a lot and Sonic a fair amount.)  I rather see Simon Belmont instead.  A Konami character with strong brand recognition with no System association.  Good solid NES-SNES roots and good current Nintendo support.  A lot of slack to play with in terms of moves and design, if based off of Castlevaine(sp? Tired) 3 you could be getting 4 characters for one.  Also giving this more thought then I should, I think what would be best is to find something that was popular and nostalgic in each one of the Generations on Nintendo platforms that just didn't stand the test of time.

These are all my opinions and the design team will do what they want but they are treading a fine line especially because we want the cast of millions that feels like the cast of few.  Videogame share some common things but we all have are favorite characters for different reasons.

Ceric's popularity -6

i agree completely, though i'd prefer megaman over simon belmont (but wouldnt be disapointed if her made it into the game

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #658 on: July 02, 2006, 09:05:43 AM »
Ceric:  I completely agree I hate the inclusion of Sonic.  I have the hardest time actually thinking of cool moves for him in this franchise.  

You have a spinning upward jump...a charge across the ground...and what else?

Also Sonic is supposed to be super fast...faster than Pikachu, Captain Falcon and the likes...yet to he will have to be slowed down alot to make sense.  I would just rather not have him in the game.

However, you know he is going to be in the game.  For the very reason that it is so iconic to have Nintendo vs. Sega in a real game.  It is literally a fan boys dream come true.

The problem I have with Simon Belmont is that the more recent Castlevania games don't use Simon, but descents of the Belmont clan.  In fact, in some of the most recent games Belmont is actually an after thought...and not the main focus of the game.  

Simon Belmont does have one thing going for him.  You can make a very nice fighter out of him.  Holy Water across the ground.  Arcing Axe throws, and the classic Cross boomerang would be a blast in this game.  His Charged Super could even be the stop time power.  

I just don't see Simon Belmont and two Konami characters getting introduced when you have a few other more classic characters.

Mega Man is a perfect classic character.  He has close to the same number of sequels as Mario (not counting spinoffs) and he has a huge history as a Nintendo character, and character recognition around the world.  Something I don't think Simon Belmont would have.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 02, 2006, 09:39:25 AM »
Well, Nintendo already has a deal going with Konami so they could get a second Konami char more easily than e.g. Megaman. Konami considers Simon Belmont the representative character of Castlevania and Cv was one of the defining games of the NES.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #660 on: July 02, 2006, 10:56:11 AM »
First off Spak-Spang you know I respect your opinion.  But I think the weakness you mention on Simon Belmont are actually his strengths.  To a younger gamer, post SNES, Simon is a relative unknown.  To us "older" gamers he IS the defining hero of the series.  Everyone else is just a spinoff.  He may not have world wide recognition but neither did the Ice-Climbers or Roy.  I think he has enough recognition with the people doing the reviews and with us "Older" Gamers to really cause a stir from his participation.  It be one of those cool facts for the newer people that he started it all and they may want the VC game for it, actually I want to say something about that later on in this post.  Castlevania is still a big franchise.  Also making a move set for him, a cool move set at that, would be, like you said, like taking candy from a baby.  That can't be said for either Sonic, as been discussed, or Megaman, ironically later X be an easier fit but a terrible idea.  Also new Megaman looks way to tiku tiku tiku!  compared to NES Megaman.

Just thinking back.  I don't think we batted around the idea of the trophies obtained from each player and item and like could link them to the VC game that they were in.  "Jeez, Mr. Saturn looks cool.  I wonder what the game was like and what he did." Clicks link to Earthbound and gets Earthbound.  Great advertisement and a handy feature for us lazy people.  I know that we thought about some other ties though.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 02, 2006, 01:16:53 PM »
you know someone is going to bump the "what do you want in smash revolution" thread and try to take credit for a similar idea.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 02, 2006, 02:35:58 PM »
Yeah, I can't remember if this was talked about or not and that, and this, is a pretty monstrouse thread to go back to for so little gain.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 02, 2006, 06:54:36 PM »
indeed.

i remember making a suggestion of having the actual carts the games came on as trophies, as well as an NES trophy (which would be ultra rare/ near impossible to get) which would unlock a bonus feature that let you play them on Wii.

the cart trophies themselves could also be pretty hard to come by (depending on your skill atleast). remember how in SSBM each character had 3 trophies? the third of which being the SMASH trophy won by completing the all-star mode? how about getting a trophy of that characters most famous game? since there would be millions that would opt for this way of getting the game rather than paying for a straight download, there could be a certain criteria to meet before the game just gives it to you (via wiiconnect24?).

i've thought about having SNES or even N64 carts as trophies but i think having the NES games won would be better. not only would it please the crowd of older gamers who remember those games but it would teach the younger crowd history about their favorite charactesr; more so than a blurb a paragraph long would. the original game would be the way to go.

for characters such as luigi, peach, yoshi, bowser and even wario, who all appear in the same series, they could make it so each unlocks a different game. for instance beating and all-star type mode with mario would no doubt unlock the Super Mario Bros. trophy, so instead of having five or so copies of that trohphy, luigi could unlock the original Mario Bros. Peach could unlock Super Mario Bros. 2 (first game she was playable in), Bowser could unlock Super Mario Bros. 3 and yoshi could unlock Yoshi's Cookie.

wait, it just hit me that a character like Captain Falcon got his start on SNES (unless there was on f-zero on famicom). I guess instead of an NES trophy, a Wii trophy (which would be in the game anyway, if trophies make a come back to begin with that is) could be the ultra rare trophy that unlocks the games as downloads. that way you could have all the cart trophies for every character but wouldnt unlock the actual download to VC without the Wii trophy. that trophy would then become a link to VC and allow you to play the library you collected on smash as prizes, as well as every other game you d/led.

or is that too complicated?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 03, 2006, 04:18:50 AM »
I can already imagine that: "Helirin. Sounds interesting. I'll just grab that Kururin game there and... 'We are sorry, this game is not available in your region'???"

Easycure: I think that might cause problems with Action Replay cheating.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #665 on: July 03, 2006, 05:56:53 AM »
I think it would be cool if, instead of unlocking a game, you could unlock new character sprites for old games, like a custom sprite for each character for Super Mario Brothers.  How fun would that be?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #666 on: July 03, 2006, 06:29:37 AM »
Ceric:  I actually think Simon Belmont would be a cool character.  I was just listing reasons why Nintendo may not use him...although as you pointed out, the older gamer would love to see such a classic character...the ultimate question will be: "Does the design team want use a valuable character slot that oldskool gamers will play remember and enjoy.  Or one that more modern gamers and oldskool can enjoy.  It may be a mistake to actually go for the younger character in this case.  

As I definately agree Belmont makes a better character in the game than Sonic would.

To me Mega Man is near and dear to my heart.  As a child he was one of my favorite characters, and I hated watching Mega Man evolve into the X franchise.  (I loved the boss designs...just not Mega Man's design.)  There is also several unique ways you could design Mega Man.

1) Give him a few classic moves of his and then allow him to copy abilities ala Kirby.  (I used to think this was the best means of doing it.)

however I have rethought my idea and I believe

2)Full move set based on classic acquired powers from the NES games would be great.  You can even allow him a move to switch power sets with a taunt or something.

This would allow us to get all the classic Mega Man powers from Leaf Shield, Cut Blade...(Name your favorite here)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 03, 2006, 06:30:56 AM »
Actually they already said that All games will be available to you regardless of region.  If it's on one regions server then it yours for the taking.  Now if you can read it ... Thats another story...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #668 on: July 03, 2006, 07:14:55 AM »
I personally can't wait to be able to do real comparisons between Super Smash Brothers, Melee, and Brawl...all using the WiiClassic Controller...and determining which I like better...and the strengths and weaknesses of each.

I just have this feeling that Brawl will become the definative version of the series...really correcting the mistakes of Melee, and continuing the enhance the series the same way Melee did.

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 03, 2006, 07:43:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
I personally can't wait to be able to do real comparisons between Super Smash Brothers, Melee, and Brawl...all using the WiiClassic Controller...and determining which I like better...and the strengths and weaknesses of each.

I just have this feeling that Brawl will become the definative version of the series...really correcting the mistakes of Melee, and continuing the enhance the series the same way Melee did.

Yes, besides the horrendous framerate and the crappy graphics, I prefer the original Smash Bros. more than Melee.  The action was much quicker, when you hit someone even with a standard "B" move, the person would go flying, and just overall the pace seemed much more balance.   For some odd reason I feel that people stay on the course -- and in front of me for that matter, for way too long in Melee.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #670 on: July 03, 2006, 08:10:44 PM »
I believe Melee became more of a traditional fighting game.

Where the original stayed true to its conceptual roots (King of the Hill fights.)

You are right.  The original Smash seemed every attack pushed you back somewhat.  So the game seemed to have a balance of moving back to that center safe area, after being attacked.

With Melee, that need for safety is less important.  Your characters can take more abuse, and the speed and level design make it less of a factor to get back to the center.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 04, 2006, 05:41:24 AM »
Melee is hardly a "traditional fighting game" or anything remotely near one...If it were I'd hate the game...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #672 on: July 04, 2006, 09:13:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Melee is hardly a "traditional fighting game" or anything remotely near one...If it were I'd hate the game...

I think that's what I love the most about the game is how flexible it is. If you want a more traditional fighter, all you have to do is turn items off and have a one-on-one match on Final Destination. If you want something more hectic, then there is always max items, four players, and one of the moving stages like the Rainbow Cruise. Hell, you can have max item with all Bobombs for some truly frantic play on one of the smaller stages if you want. It's up to you. Also, I find Melee much more balanced then the first was (they nerfed Fox and Captain Falcon from the first... and they are still two of the best characters...).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #673 on: July 04, 2006, 12:41:51 PM »
Sonic is going to be in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.  Period.

I'm so convinced by this that I've stopped anticipating it.  It's just going to happen.  It has to.

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 04, 2006, 01:01:19 PM »
I just thought of a substitute for trophies. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before (and I'm not going to check this gigantic thread to make sure), but what if, instead of trophies, you had paintings? As Mario, you could walk around a gigantic hall of paintings (maybe even make it a castle and give it a Super Mario 64 feel), and basically get the same effect of the trophies, but it makes the whole thing more interactive. As far as the accompanying information, you can walk up to the painting and read the description.

Thoughts?
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!