Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl  (Read 350223 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #1075 on: August 16, 2006, 01:30:34 PM »
*tosses and turns in bed*
Mr. Sakurai! Come back! No! Don't leave meeeeeeeeeee!
*falls into a troubled, fitful, nightmare-ridden sleep*

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 16, 2006, 02:13:08 PM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear I don't like this idea much.  I agree that there's a problem with slow, heavy characters being kept off balance by fast characters, but that's pretty much the only way a lightweight could expect to beat a heavyweight.  If Bowser can smash you regardless, what chance do you have against him?  I think you're trying so hard to overcome one character's weakness that you're overcompensating.  I think a better answer would be to give the heavy characters faster weak attacks so that they can return the favor.  If a Pichu player and a Bowser player got into a slapping match, Bowser would win by attrition, so it would cease to be a viable strategy for the Pichu player.

The idea would be to force the light character to attack from the air instead of being able to run up to Bowser and attack him mercilessly, which SHOULD be reality in SSB. Maybe after a certain % the heavy character will start reacting to weaker hits, but some kind of buffer which just prevents heavy characters from being eaten alive by slower characters would be ideal.

Maybe just give the move precedence to heavy characters (which it generally should be anyway) so that they can overpower specific characters when they attempt similar attacks. DK's smash should override Mario's, for example, in all cases.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 16, 2006, 03:13:39 PM »
Like how I said above?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #1078 on: August 16, 2006, 03:18:36 PM »
Which do you mean? Getting lighter with time or move precedence for heavy characters?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #1079 on: August 16, 2006, 03:33:47 PM »
> the first one.
That's not a verb I recognize.

> tell Smash_Brother that he said what I already said above.
I don't see any Smash_Brother here.

> F**k!
Real adventurers do not use such language.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1080 on: August 16, 2006, 03:45:42 PM »
Throws wouldn't be as powerful as Smashes, don't get me wrong.  But I think they should do signicant distance...and I think it should be the only means to sorta Smash characters with less damage %.  Throwing is not easy.  

Also I think they should take that up button jumping out completely.  It complicates things, and it would allow for better useage of up attacks and such.  

I also didn't say that Heavier characters can Auto Smash smaller characters...but their Smash attacks should always send lighter characters further and easier.  It will force Smaller characters to hit and fade, and not try to engage in exchanging blows, because lighter characters shouldn't get away with that.  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: August 16, 2006, 03:50:05 PM »
Sorry, I'm on my PDA.
Smash_brother:  l meant the bit about getting lighter.

Wandering: I don't swear.

(also never finished the Adventures Correspondence School )

10 points to whoever  can name the game that is from using the original name

Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: August 16, 2006, 07:30:46 PM »
I think making Samus' grappling beam auto-aim at ledges is a cool way to increase its use as a recovery move, but I definitely don't think it should be used as a replacement for Samus' third jump, if that's what you guys were suggesting.  Samus has always been really acrobatic in the 2D games (slightly less in the Prime series), and I think she should retain that in Smash Bros.
GOREGASM!

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: August 17, 2006, 02:08:18 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

Hero's Quest: So You Want To Be A Hero.  I take it you signed your name in the Adventurer's Journal with a flourish?  Man, when are they going to finish that VGA remake of Trial By Fire?  I'm itching to play it.

Also, put in Solar Boy Django in Brawl.  Or perhaps Stafi.  We need more Stafi.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1084 on: August 17, 2006, 04:21:47 AM »
Smoke:  I think Samus should have two nice regular jumps, and at the peak of her regular jump she can Screw Attack, but not for as much additional Air.  And probably for only 1 or 2 times in that single jump sequence.  I just want to make sure she can pop out of the Screw Attack fast enough to latch onto ledges.  This would help distinguish her more than having the same Uppercut special attack.

Anymore people have their own personal desires for the game?

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: August 17, 2006, 07:45:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang I also didn't say that Heavier characters can Auto Smash smaller characters...but their Smash attacks should always send lighter characters further and easier.  It will force Smaller characters to hit and fade, and not try to engage in exchanging blows, because lighter characters shouldn't get away with that.

The trophies for Bowser actually tell you that the best way to beat him is to just get in his face and keep attacking, which should be the exact opposite of what you need to do to beat him.

In Mario 64, there was a REASON you had to run behind him: attacking from the front equated suicide.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1086 on: August 17, 2006, 08:00:51 AM »
Smash:That is funny.  In Almost every single Mario game that is the exact opposite way to defeat Bowser:

Mario One: You had to sneak past him and use tha Axe.  (Unless you were lucky and had fire power)

Mario Three:  You had to force him create a hole for him to fall into...or get luck with Fire Flower.

Super Mario World:  Indirectly attack him with his robots.  No other way.  

Super Mario World 2: Wait for an opening and jump on him...then Aim and throw eggs at him from a distance.

Super Mario 64:  Sneak behind him grab his tail and throw him into a Bomb.  The Bomb is the only thing that can hurt him.

Hmmmm....yip, I think history proves attacking Bowser directly is the only means to defeat him.  

If they could get heavy characters to feel unique, play more balanced, and be fun, I would definately want many more Heavy characters in the game...and Nintendo actually has quite a few heavy characters they can choose to put in the game.

King Hippo
King Deedeedee
Bowser
Jill from Drill Dozer
Ganon

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1087 on: August 17, 2006, 08:13:21 AM »
KING HIPPO IS DEFINITELY A NEW CHARACTER

this is a message board.  this is truth.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1088 on: August 17, 2006, 09:10:06 AM »
AS long as King Hippo has an easy to take advantage of patner and delay to his attacks we are all good.

(Joking)

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: August 17, 2006, 11:30:59 AM »
I think all the characters should have morphing capabilities.  It only makes sense.

Mario -> Dr. Mario
Luigi -> Ghost Hunter Luigi
Wario (classic) -> Wario (Biker)
Yoshi (classic) -> Yoshi (Paper Mario)
Princess -> Daisy
Zelda -> Sheik
Link -> Young/Cel Link
Ganondorf -> Ganon
Fox -> Falco
Captain Falcon -> Samurai Goro (or whatever the dude's name is)
Ness -> Poo/Paula/Jeff/Mother 3 Hero
Donkey Kong -> Diddy Kong
Bowser -> Bowser Jr.
Jigglypuff -> Wigglytuff
Pikachu -> Pichu
Marth -> Roy
Kid Icarus (classic) -> Kid Icarus (new)
Ice Climbers Popo -> Ice Climbers Nana (just switch them, but with new attacks)
Mewtwo -> Mew
Samus -> Zero Suit Samus
Kirby -> Metaknight

Man...who does that leave?

Even with new characters it works:

Solid Snake -> Big Boss or Gray Fox (whatever the Ninja's name is)
Megaman (rumored) -> X or Zero
Simon Belmont (rumored) -> Alucard
Geno (rumored) -> ....Maybe Mallow?
Ryu (perhaps) -> Ken

You know, when I started writing this, it was a total joke, but honestly, it's not that terrible of an idea, and it works out surprisingly well.  There's only a few that wouldn't honestly work (Mr. Game and Watch?  Maybe he turns into a G&W variant?)

I'd rather them just do tag functions if someone thought this was a good idea.  

And personally I don't really care to see/not see this implemented.  Again, this started out as a joke, but once I look at the list, it just works.  
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: August 17, 2006, 11:45:42 AM »

Jigglypuff -> Wigglytuff
That made me laugh.

Ice Climbers Popo -> Ice Climbers Nana (just switch them, but with new attacks)
It really should be Ice Climbers -> Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Can be substituted with Diddy and Dixie Kong.)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1091 on: August 17, 2006, 01:58:57 PM »
Vudu:  What a strange idea...but it could work as a special mode.  Kinda like Tag-Team in the other fighting games.  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: August 17, 2006, 02:12:19 PM »

Originally posted by: Aussie Ben PGC

Originally posted by: Ceric

Hero's Quest: So You Want To Be A Hero.  I take it you signed your name in the Adventurer's Journal with a flourish?  Man, when are they going to finish that VGA remake of Trial By Fire?  I'm itching to play it.

Also, put in Solar Boy Django in Brawl.  Or perhaps Stafi.  We need more Stafi.

Ten Points to Aussie Ben.  I really wish they would have a remake of that whole series so I could replay them.  (Keeping the text interface in the first.)  Also 2 was too frustrating for me and four was to glitchy on my machine.  While I'm talking about Seirra I hope that Dr. Brain Series also comes back.

On the ideas transforms feel sparkling innovationy when forced.  I mean Samus to ZS Samus or Mario to Dr. Mario seem logical.  Even Belmont to Alucard because he does that in game (Castlevaine 3)  But Snake to Ninja guy... Not really....

No ones disagreed with my weight idea so it must be accepted as good.  

Antwerp for Third Party Slot in SSBB!!! Fear the mighty Antwerp....

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1093 on: August 17, 2006, 03:58:14 PM »
Ceric:  I fundamentally disagree with your weight thing, because it seems too hard to confusing, personally.  I want people to remain the same speed, damage potential and such.  Changing the weight is weird.

But when I possessed the question about how you would like to see Smash Brothers, I didn't want it to become a criticism of others ideas, because it is how they personally want the game.

And your personal vision may work very well better than mine...I just don't like it personally.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: August 17, 2006, 04:06:38 PM »
Well let me ask you this.  I've never seen it come up.  How do you guys think the percentage works now?

I mean you hit someone and they go farther as the percentage goes up so aren't they getting lighter?  I find it hugely unfair if a smaller character could never throw a larger character.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: August 17, 2006, 04:28:14 PM »
I'm rather amused at some of these "attempts" to make SSB more complex and, in the process, more confusing...What I love about the game is that it's not a standard fighting game, but merely a, sorry for the unintended pun, simple brawl for all to enjoy...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1096 on: August 18, 2006, 04:52:35 AM »
Ceric:  It isn't becoming lighter per say.  Its simply the amount of Damage received by a character determines the distance he will be pushed back by attacks.  He isn't becoming lighter.

The biggest problem with actually making characters become lighter is that fighting games is about timing, and if you have learned Bowsers timing for his special moves, Smash attacks, and generally getting around then you are always expecting that reaction time and planning to use it to your advantage.  If that timing changes mid-game because someone has attacked you to the damage level that it makes you lighter.  You may have an advantage, but it could also be a disadvantage because it throw your timing off.

As for smaller characters never being able to throw larger characters being unfair.  I think you must remember to take in to consideration all the other advantageous smaller characters have.  Very quick attacks that can help them hit and rack up damage against a heavy character and fade away.  Usually, larger jumps and better triple jumps.  This one aspect of throws is a minor aspect of the game, and it could be programmed that smaller characters just do something different than a throw to larger characters.  

Also remember that I have been discussing fundamentally changing characters like Bowser to where they don't even have a triple jump, so that would also balance out the no throws, and the heavier Smash attacks they recieve.

Bill:  I am not per say trying to make it more complicated.  I am trying to add character balance, and a means to still create creative and original fighters for the game.  As for my inclusion of Air Dashs, and a Combo counter, I think both of those are long over due.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: August 18, 2006, 06:39:18 AM »
I have definately gotta agree with bill.  Part of the appeal of Smash Brothers is that it doesnt have all of this cr@p that makes it so confusing.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 18, 2006, 09:00:59 AM »
OH GUYS QUIT IT...........

The game just needs fatalities

Announcer: JIGGLYPUFF WINS!

FINISH HIM!

::Jigllypuff starts to sing and Marios head explodes::