Author Topic: Mario Galaxy  (Read 241033 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1225 on: January 21, 2008, 10:53:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Fun fact: all of Super Mario Galaxy's music data is stored in 32KHz format.  You read that right, high-def nerds.

To heck with waiting for the stupid limited-edition-i-don't-know-if-there's-enough-copies-for-all-the-internet OST.

I'm listening to the glorious audio rips right now.

How did you go about pulling the data from the Wii disc? I'd love to get all of the tracks off the game but I don't really know too much about how I would be able to do that.

Sidenote: Just got 120 stars with Louie-G, completing the game 100%.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1226 on: January 21, 2008, 12:14:36 PM »
I think there's a special DVD drive which reads Wii discs.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Galaxy
« Reply #1227 on: April 09, 2009, 02:59:07 AM »
Star bit bump!

I've been thinking about this game lately, and I was wondering: Do you think Super Mario 64 was overshadowed by Galaxy? 64 used to be lauded as one of the greatest games of all time, and since Galaxy, people are more quick to point out its flaws.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1228 on: April 09, 2009, 03:03:21 AM »
Well both are good games. I think the controls are better in Galaxy though.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1229 on: April 09, 2009, 03:08:17 AM »
Star bit bump!

I've been thinking about this game lately, and I was wondering: Do you think Super Mario 64 was overshadowed by Galaxy? 64 used to be lauded as one of the greatest games of all time, and since Galaxy, people are more quick to point out its flaws.

What a coincidence, I was just thinking about Galaxy!

I think the reason Galaxy overshadows 64 is because the overall game is more polished.

The worlds are fantastically designed and extremely creative. You can tell that a lot of imagination went into the creation of these worlds. The story, while still minimal, was memorable and the new character, Rosalina, was presented beautifully. It also helps that the music was incredible.

Its the same way that Mario Bros. 3 overshadows Mario Bros on the NES; the game took what made the first game work and amplifies it by a million and thus creates a far more memorable experience.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: April 09, 2009, 03:58:07 AM »
I don't think Galaxy made people point out flaws from 64. If anything that happened with Sunshine, or even before. We all knew that Mario 64 wasn't perfect by any means, but I think two things come into play here.

1) Nostalgia. It was the first 64 game (and 3D Mario) all of us played and I'll never forget the way it completely swept me off my feet.

2) The accomplishment of the game at the time. The first ever fully 3D game controlled by the analogue stick.. and yet it was executed so damn well that it still holds up today. I still have no idea how Miyamoto pulled it off.

So while Galaxy is definitely more technically sound and polished than 64, it's nowhere near as groundbreaking or fresh. And I think that's what Mario 64 will be remembered for.

On a side note, this is one of the reasons the Mario platformer series is my favourite. Nearly every game is a timeless classic in the true sense of the word. The graphics, gameplay and presentation of, say, SMB3 can still be appreciated as gaming excellence so many years after it has been released. To me, that's the mark of a generational game. It's similar to movies - somehow 2001: A Space Odyssey has aged incredibly and would be considered amazing by today's standards.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 09, 2009, 10:26:26 AM »
I don't think Galaxy made people point out flaws from 64. If anything that happened with Sunshine, or even before. We all knew that Mario 64 wasn't perfect by any means, but I think two things come into play here.

1) Nostalgia. It was the first 64 game (and 3D Mario) all of us played and I'll never forget the way it completely swept me off my feet.

2) The accomplishment of the game at the time. The first ever fully 3D game controlled by the analogue stick.. and yet it was executed so damn well that it still holds up today. I still have no idea how Miyamoto pulled it off.

So while Galaxy is definitely more technically sound and polished than 64, it's nowhere near as groundbreaking or fresh. And I think that's what Mario 64 will be remembered for.

On a side note, this is one of the reasons the Mario platformer series is my favourite. Nearly every game is a timeless classic in the true sense of the word. The graphics, gameplay and presentation of, say, SMB3 can still be appreciated as gaming excellence so many years after it has been released. To me, that's the mark of a generational game. It's similar to movies - somehow 2001: A Space Odyssey has aged incredibly and would be considered amazing by today's standards.

I too had this game on my mind lately..

IceCold put it perfectly here so theres not much i can add unless i take my usual route and poke fun of how in love IceCold is with Fzero

This bump makes me want to finish this game (100% completion, i've already beat it/seen the ending)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1232 on: April 09, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
I was just talking about MArio 64 with some friends.  We agreed we find it cold and depressing now, especially the echoey castle lobby.  Mario Galaxy, however, is vibrant and warm, even in the deep dark reaches of space.  That polish goes a long way to making me want to go back to the game.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 06, 2009, 03:56:47 PM »
Galactic Bowser Bump

Going through a Mario binge now and just popped this game back in. How many people here collected all 120 stars?  After beating Bowser I became destracted after picking up Wave Race Blue Storm and I'm just now coming back. After being away from it so long I'm totally ready to tear into it again. Looks like I have 25 stars to go. I'd like to finish it off before number two hits this spring. For those that did, would you say it was harder than getting 120 in M64?  And what was the hardest star?  So far for me it's the daredevil star on the rock boss. I'm finding it much harder than the 100 purple coins on the dissapearing platform.

And to the above post. I love the lobby in M64. The music is perfect. Cheery with dark undertones. A perfect fit for the new world that awaits.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 06, 2009, 04:26:08 PM »
I think that the rock boss was one of the hardest. The daredevil run up the fire mountain was pretty hard, so were the purple coins on luigi...
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: November 06, 2009, 05:04:16 PM »
I beat the game with all the srtars and was ready to do it again the "second" time around. Then I got a new Wii and moved out, took Galaxy with me and only amased about 20 stars. Man I was ready for that "second" time around.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 06, 2009, 05:25:02 PM »
I only borrowed it from a friend and beat the game. I didn't get much more stars once I beat it before returning it to my friend. Though now he is my upstairs neighbor in my apartment building so maybe I can go badger him to borrow it again to finish the game. Or I could go buy a copy.

I think I was at close to 90 stars or so.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 06, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »
I never finished this game, but doing so is on the list of things I hope to accomplish while on break from college later this month.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: November 06, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »
I've gotten all 120 stars, twice. Once with both Mario and Luigi. And also got the 121st star with both of them as well.

I actually remember Super Mario 64 being more difficult than Super Mario Galaxy, but that may just be because I was so much younger and inexperienced. Super Mario 64 is now pretty easy after the so many times I've played it, so it is hard to compare it to Super Mario Galaxy until I'm more familiar with it. Which probably won't happen, as I doubt I'll play through as many times as Super Mario 64. All of those Daredevil ones though, I hated those. And the purple coins ones, though those were more annoying than anything.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: November 06, 2009, 06:33:39 PM »
I think Mario 64 may have felt harder because for many of us, controlling a character in 3D back then was new and we hadn't adapted to it yet. By the time Galaxy rolled around we were quite comfortable and competent with 3D movement.
My Game Collection

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: November 07, 2009, 12:43:29 AM »
Going through again as Luigi as my savefile was deleted last time I tried it. Hopefully I'll finish it before NSBWii, I'm at about 50 or so, so it should be too hard.

I remember having a bit of a hardtime with the rock boss on daredevil the first time I tried it, but I did it the other night in one shot. Like many others my least favourite star was the 100 coins on the disappearing platforms. I'm not looking forward to that with the less reponsive Luigi.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 07, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »
Shweeet!  Finally killed the rock boss and danced on his stupid face.  Only 17 more stars to go now.  Forgot how much fun this game was.  The secret stars on Toy Galaxy, Spooky Galaxy, and Ghusty Winds were all pretty creative.  As was the one on the ice galaxy but those ice bats made it pretty challenging.  Died a dozen or so times in the process.

Looking forward to starting some of those early levels over as Luigi.  Anybody collect 120 with him?  I'm guessing Mop it Up did.  What happens after that?  A hearty congratulations screen?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: November 07, 2009, 03:25:22 PM »
Looking forward to starting some of those early levels over as Luigi.  Anybody collect 120 with him?  I'm guessing Mop_it_up did.  What happens after that?  A hearty congratulations screen?
If you don't want to find out yourself, you get a picture on your Wii Message Board of Luigi and Rosalina, and I think it says "Congratulations!"
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:27:03 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 07, 2009, 03:36:16 PM »
super mario 64 is still just fun to turn on just to run around just to bounce off things
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1244 on: November 07, 2009, 03:46:42 PM »
What I didn't like about Mario Galaxy's hub was how generic it felt despite how interesting it looked. It was more fun to jump around Peach's castle than it was to jump around the Comet Observatory. What I would've loved is some sort of gravity playground where you could mess around with the game's gravity system without having to re-visit the levels where it was most provident.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1245 on: November 07, 2009, 04:45:22 PM »
Yeah, it would have been nice to be able to do crazy things on the Observatory rather than just getting sucked back to ground-level when jumping off the side.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: November 07, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »
I try to ride the moving platforms around. That can be fun.
My Game Collection

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #1247 on: November 07, 2009, 06:07:36 PM »
The only thing that bothered me about those platforms is that they made me notice how the distance of Mario's reflection from the surface never changes; it stays in the same spot even when Mario jumps. I also noticed that in the Garden dome, if you walk along the sides of the "wall", you can see Mario's shadow disappear in the squarish areas "occupied" by the rocks.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: November 08, 2009, 01:36:49 PM »
Looking forward to starting some of those early levels over as Luigi.  Anybody collect 120 with him?  I'm guessing Mop_it_up did.  What happens after that?  A hearty congratulations screen?
If you don't want to find out yourself, you get a picture on your Wii Message Board of Luigi and Rosalina, and I think it says "Congratulations!"

Not bad not bad.  If I ever do it, it'll probably be a couple years from now so I'll probably forgot by then.  Only 15 more to go now for the 1st play through!  Not looking forward to the 100 purple coins in the desert.  I  envision myself hitting the quicksand around coin 97.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1249 on: November 08, 2009, 03:57:37 PM »
I think I have 1 or 2 stars left with Mario.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.