Author Topic: Mario Galaxy  (Read 198978 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mashiro

  • Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #800 on: November 16, 2007, 04:36:19 PM »
Quote

Originally posted by: pap64
I finally got the game and my first impression is...I AM WAY TOO TIRED TO PLAY THIS GAME!

Seriously, my heart is not into it right now. I need rest...


You sound like me when I first got the Wii. After waiting out in the cold from 4 in the morning till the store opened, I just couldn't bring myself to play Zelda.

On a similar note, working 40+ hours a week now really leaves such little time for games, just an observation.  

Offline Luigi Dude

  • Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #801 on: November 16, 2007, 07:10:34 PM »
Well after 31 reviews, Super Mario Galaxy is officially the highest rated game of all time with an average score of 97.9%, .4 percent higher then Ocarina of Time.

That's right people, Mario Galaxy has surpassed Ocarina of Time on Gamerankings.  Which makes me very happy since after all the time I've spend playing Mario Galaxy, it deserves to be considered the greatest game of all time.

I mean really, there is not one single game that exists that can rival Mario Galaxy.  Mario Galaxy is full of so much variety, content and quality, it's in a league of it's own right now.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

  • HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #802 on: November 16, 2007, 08:21:35 PM »
YOU DARE DOUBT TEH MINESWEEPER?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

  • boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #803 on: November 16, 2007, 08:24:42 PM »
I bet that average will go down a bit again. Though it'd be nice to finally have a game displace OOT.

Offline Luigi Dude

  • Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #804 on: November 16, 2007, 10:47:53 PM »
Quote

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I bet that average will go down a bit again. Though it'd be nice to finally have a game displace OOT.

True, but at this moment Galaxy has 31 reviews which is one more then Ocarina's 30 reviews.  This shows that when Ocarina and Galaxy are on even ground Galaxy is able to come out higher.  Every other game that has been close to Ocarina's score usually dropped quite a bit before they even got 20 reviews.  Galaxy on the other hand is the only game to actually get more reviews then Ocarina AND still outscore it.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline mantidor

  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #805 on: November 17, 2007, 10:20:12 AM »
I promised I wouldn't come back, but some other stupid site spoiled the big spoiler which by the ammount I've played is kind of expected... oh well...

I'm ashamed to admit I used to pay attention to the gamerankings scale, and got pissed off when certain other games which I won't mention displaced ocarina momentarely, and fortunately I snapped out of it. Still is good to see the big three in the top, even if the top ten as a whole is pretty retarded, and the whole "rankings" system is stupid and meaningless.

I'm getting close to 30 stars and I've loved every second of it, there really isn't much more to be said, it's an incredibly awesome game and I don't want it to end.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline wulffman04

  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #806 on: November 17, 2007, 10:40:05 AM »
Quote

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
Quote

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I bet that average will go down a bit again. Though it'd be nice to finally have a game displace OOT.

True, but at this moment Galaxy has 31 reviews which is one more then Ocarina's 30 reviews.  This shows that when Ocarina and Galaxy are on even ground Galaxy is able to come out higher.  Every other game that has been close to Ocarina's score usually dropped quite a bit before they even got 20 reviews.  Galaxy on the other hand is the only game to actually get more reviews then Ocarina AND still outscore it.


Yes, Galaxy currently has more reviews than ocarina but there are so many more gaming sites out there, that still need to review it.
Follow the Hobo <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo#Hobo_code">Code![/url]

Offline Bill Aurion

  • NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #807 on: November 17, 2007, 01:49:41 PM »
Oh man, 90 stars in and the game is really starting to heat up in terms of intensity...

For example, if you didn't start sweating during the Daredevil Comet run of the sinking volcano stage, I call you a liar...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NWR_pap64

  • You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #808 on: November 17, 2007, 04:57:11 PM »
Quote

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
Well after 31 reviews, Super Mario Galaxy is officially the highest rated game of all time with an average score of 97.9%, .4 percent higher then Ocarina of Time.

That's right people, Mario Galaxy has surpassed Ocarina of Time on Gamerankings.  Which makes me very happy since after all the time I've spend playing Mario Galaxy, it deserves to be considered the greatest game of all time.

I mean really, there is not one single game that exists that can rival Mario Galaxy.  Mario Galaxy is full of so much variety, content and quality, it's in a league of it's own right now.


I find ironic that we were bitching about how the game wasn't getting any 10s when lesser XBOX 360 games were getting them like crazy, but now its one of the best reviewed games of ALL TIME. XD

Anyways, been playing it all day long and I honestly have no words to explain how epic this game is.

First off, its LEAGUES better than Mario Sunshine. In fact, this is the Mario 64 sequel Sunshine should have been! In just the few hours I've put into the game I am amazed at how creative, diverse and just plain magical these worlds are. In fact, I think Galaxy has some of the best worlds ever featured in a Mario game, rivaling only Super Mario Bros. 3.

I love the story. Even if its pretty light when compared to other games, its simple enough that it doesn't become the cheesefest that Sunshine was while conveys a sense of purpose, something rarely seen in a Mario game.

What impresses me the most are the graphics. Gamers and developers have been bitching about how the Wii is extremely underpowered when it comes to graphics. Yet Mario Galaxy manages to be very detailed and run at a smooth 60 FPS. It pretty much exposes that many developers, including some at Nintendo, are just plain lazy and use the "underpowered" excuse as a way to justify bad graphics.

What's also great about it is that it employs a gameplay mechanic that's been used in two Mario games and many, many knock offs (visit worlds, complete the mission, get a star) it manages to feel fresh and new. I think this has something to do with the controls and the new space theme.

The ONLY issue I have with the game is that its very easy. The game isn't afraid to give you a lot of lives and it generally grabs you by the hand and leads you to the very end. Even the bosses are quite simple as long as you know what you are doing. It does, however, provide a mild challenge with the extra galaxies as well as the comets.

I still have a long way to go and while I wouldn't honestly call it "the best game EVER" its definitely one of the finest games of the year, one that meets some of its hype.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Luigi Dude

  • Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #809 on: November 17, 2007, 06:10:05 PM »
Quote

Originally posted by: pap64
The ONLY issue I have with the game is that its very easy. The game isn't afraid to give you a lot of lives and it generally grabs you by the hand and leads you to the very end. Even the bosses are quite simple as long as you know what you are doing. It does, however, provide a mild challenge with the extra galaxies as well as the comets.


Keep playing because it get pretty challenging later on.  Some of the comet challenges in the later galaxies are crazy and will require you to be a master of all of Mario's moves.  Not to mention you will die several times since some of the challenges pretty much require you to memorize the stage pretty well before being able to complete them.

Anyone that says the game is too easy after collecting all the stars is a huge liar.  Either that or the only Mario game they should ever play is the Japanese version of Bros 2 since that is the only Mario game that will satisfy their demand for an insane god like difficulty.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_pap64

  • You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #810 on: November 17, 2007, 06:40:33 PM »
Quote

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
Quote

Originally posted by: pap64
The ONLY issue I have with the game is that its very easy. The game isn't afraid to give you a lot of lives and it generally grabs you by the hand and leads you to the very end. Even the bosses are quite simple as long as you know what you are doing. It does, however, provide a mild challenge with the extra galaxies as well as the comets.


Keep playing because it get pretty challenging later on.  Some of the comet challenges in the later galaxies are crazy and will require you to be a master of all of Mario's moves.  Not to mention you will die several times since some of the challenges pretty much require you to memorize the stage pretty well before being able to complete them.

Anyone that says the game is too easy after collecting all the stars is a huge liar.  Either that or the only Mario game they should ever play is the Japanese version of Bros 2 since that is the only Mario game that will satisfy their demand for an insane god like difficulty.


I make the claim because you can have more than 10 lives before you even complete the first two galaxies. Getting lives was not this easy in the older Mario games. Clearly they want gamers to have as many tries as possible by making the 1up mushrooms easier to get. It was the same way in New Super Mario Bros. for the DS.

I'll see if the difficulty does ramp up a bit when you go farther into the game.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_insanolord

  • Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18987
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #811 on: November 17, 2007, 06:55:14 PM »
Quote

Originally posted by: pap64
Quote

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
Quote

Originally posted by: pap64
The ONLY issue I have with the game is that its very easy. The game isn't afraid to give you a lot of lives and it generally grabs you by the hand and leads you to the very end. Even the bosses are quite simple as long as you know what you are doing. It does, however, provide a mild challenge with the extra galaxies as well as the comets.


Keep playing because it get pretty challenging later on.  Some of the comet challenges in the later galaxies are crazy and will require you to be a master of all of Mario's moves.  Not to mention you will die several times since some of the challenges pretty much require you to memorize the stage pretty well before being able to complete them.

Anyone that says the game is too easy after collecting all the stars is a huge liar.  Either that or the only Mario game they should ever play is the Japanese version of Bros 2 since that is the only Mario game that will satisfy their demand for an insane god like difficulty.


I make the claim because you can have more than 10 lives before you even complete the first two galaxies. Getting lives was not this easy in the older Mario games. Clearly they want gamers to have as many tries as possible by making the 1up mushrooms easier to get. It was the same way in New Super Mario Bros. for the DS.

I'll see if the difficulty does ramp up a bit when you go farther into the game.


It doesn't matter if you have lives, what matters is how often you die. You mentioned New Super Mario Bros., I barely died at all while playing that, but in Galaxy I've died quite a bit, at least in comparison. The whole lives thing shouldn't matter, this is a game where there's no such thing as a Game Over, you can always continue on and keep trying, so why arbitrarily force people back to the title screen?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

  • Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #812 on: November 17, 2007, 07:43:14 PM »
Quote

Originally posted by: pap64
Quote

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
Quote

Originally posted by: pap64
The ONLY issue I have with the game is that its very easy. The game isn't afraid to give you a lot of lives and it generally grabs you by the hand and leads you to the very end. Even the bosses are quite simple as long as you know what you are doing. It does, however, provide a mild challenge with the extra galaxies as well as the comets.


Keep playing because it get pretty challenging later on.  Some of the comet challenges in the later galaxies are crazy and will require you to be a master of all of Mario's moves.  Not to mention you will die several times since some of the challenges pretty much require you to memorize the stage pretty well before being able to complete them.

Anyone that says the game is too easy after collecting all the stars is a huge liar.  Either that or the only Mario game they should ever play is the Japanese version of Bros 2 since that is the only Mario game that will satisfy their demand for an insane god like difficulty.


I make the claim because you can have more than 10 lives before you even complete the first two galaxies. Getting lives was not this easy in the older Mario games. Clearly they want gamers to have as many tries as possible by making the 1up mushrooms easier to get. It was the same way in New Super Mario Bros. for the DS.

I'll see if the difficulty does ramp up a bit when you go farther into the game.


I think you should go back and play Mario 64, which was super easy to get lives as well if you wanted. All the 3d Marios and yes the 2D Mario's, except for SMB2 and 1 were easy to get lives in. The game is much more challenging then Mario 64 ever was, and even rivals Sunshine in difficulty with some of the boss battles and levels.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

  • Tom Nook - Like a Boss!
  • *
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #813 on: November 17, 2007, 08:01:24 PM »
I got to the Giant Mole Boss He's getting on my nerves!

Offline IceCold

  • I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #814 on: November 17, 2007, 08:49:31 PM »
Quote

I make the claim because you can have more than 10 lives before you even complete the first two galaxies. Getting lives was not this easy in the older Mario games. Clearly they want gamers to have as many tries as possible by making the 1up mushrooms easier to get. It was the same way in New Super Mario Bros. for the DS.

I'll see if the difficulty does ramp up a bit when you go farther into the game.
Well, when you power off your console, you lose all the 1ups you've gained, right?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

  • Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #815 on: November 17, 2007, 08:57:12 PM »
Quote

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I got to the Giant Mole Boss He's getting on my nerves!


I think I died once on him, you just need to be careful and patient. Though it is definitely good to see some challenging bosses in a Mario game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Bill Aurion

  • NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #816 on: November 18, 2007, 02:01:33 AM »
Quote

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Quote

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I got to the Giant Mole Boss He's getting on my nerves!


I think I died once on him, you just need to be careful and patient. Though it is definitely good to see some challenging bosses in a Mario game.

Haha, just wait until you realize there's a Daredevil Comet against him...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nitsu niflheim

  • Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #817 on: November 18, 2007, 02:26:27 AM »
I haven't been beat by a star yet, but comet-wise, I have only done one comet star challenge, but I have all the stars from the bonus stages and bonus galaxies.  And so far I have 2 green stars.  I am right now in the Bedroom Dome.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline ShyGuy

  • Tom Nook - Like a Boss!
  • *
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #818 on: November 18, 2007, 04:46:27 AM »
Quote

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Quote

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Quote

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
I got to the Giant Mole Boss He's getting on my nerves!


I think I died once on him, you just need to be careful and patient. Though it is definitely good to see some challenging bosses in a Mario game.

Haha, just wait until you realize there's a Daredevil Comet against him...


I got a hook up with one the fatty stars, I pay him off to make the comets "disappear."  

Offline UniversalJuan

  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #819 on: November 18, 2007, 05:36:20 AM »
Quote

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

I think you should go back and play Mario 64, which was super easy to get lives as well if you wanted. All the 3d Marios and yes the 2D Mario's, except for SMB2 and 1 were easy to get lives in. The game is much more challenging then Mario 64 ever was, and even rivals Sunshine in difficulty with some of the boss battles and levels.


Uh oh, looks like someone never "milked the turtle" as my family lovingly calls it in World 3-1 on Super Mario Bros. 1  
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Quote

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Kairon

  • T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 47
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #820 on: November 18, 2007, 05:41:02 AM »
There's no point about complaining about "extra lives" in Mario Galaxy. The game just has infinite continues. Period.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Freyr

  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #821 on: November 18, 2007, 11:49:13 AM »
I just finished Super Mario Galaxy. Got all the stars in a little over 21 hours and beat the final boss twice. I thought the game was overall on the easy side. Here are the stars I thought were challanging. Making the names a little odd but people that have tried the stages should understand while people that have not done them should not get anything spoiled.

Ghost Zone Coin Challange - You only need 100/150 coins, so don't worry about getting a odd coin here and there just get coins that are in groups, and work by the outer wall before going towards the center.

Toy Zone Coin Challange - You also only need 100/150 coins, so don't worry about the odd coin. Leave the area near the starting area alone and work on the bottomleft and the top right/left parts. The top right has the most coins in a single area.

Fire Zone and the Green Star Zone "riding the ball" can both be hard. I finished the second one on my first try. I almost passed out from not breathing when I was finished tho.

Green Star Zone, wave riding can be hard. Don't try to take a shortcut to finish faster, it dosn't work I tried. You need to learn to move to the left and the right even if you can't see where your going. After you try a couple times you'll understand. Also take the blue ring area slow, after the blue ring area, you start heading up, be caeful after you reach the top the course turns pertty sharply to the right, even tho it doesn't look like it will.

Ghost Zone Boss One Hit Challange(rock guy) - Don't rush, just because you have the needed tool to attack the boss does not you always should. If you try to attack the boss every time you possible can, you will die from a mistake.


Thats all I can really think of off the top of my head, at the moment.    

Offline mantidor

  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #822 on: November 18, 2007, 11:54:09 AM »
is it crazy that I stopped playing because I don't want to finish it that soon? my annoying brother has already passed me in number of stars and constantly threatens me to spoil the thing, that bastard I just really don't want it to end.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Freyr

  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #823 on: November 18, 2007, 12:01:10 PM »
Quote

Originally posted by: mantidor
is it crazy that I stopped playing because I don't want to finish it that soon? my annoying brother has already passed me in number of stars and constantly threatens me to spoil the thing, that bastard I just really don't want it to end.


Minor spoiler for end game. Just that the game is not totaly over.
Not really, as a person that has gotten all the stars I can tell you that there is still stuff to do. There is a option to restart the game from the begining with something special(You don't loss your completed game).  

Offline NeoThunder

  • Score: -4
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #824 on: November 18, 2007, 01:06:25 PM »
I think we all know that when you beat the game, you can play the game all over again from the start with Luigi instead

I think Luigi has the "lost levels effect" where he can jump higher and run a little faster but he can't slow down as quick.  I don't know this for sure i just saw it somewhere else
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control