Author Topic: ign pans nintendo's e3 conf  (Read 9917 times)

Offline willie1234

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
ign pans nintendo's e3 conf
« on: May 09, 2006, 04:41:43 PM »
ign gave a couple of bad reviews to nintendo's e3 preso.  I thought it was great, especially after sony's arrogance.  

Link1
Link2

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: ign pans nintendo's e3 conf
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:05:01 PM »
The IGN guys are annoying, they complain becuse the graphics aren't "next gen" and Nintendo didn't mention everything they wanted to hear, hello they aren't there to cater to your every whim Casamassina (you too Bozon).

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 05:05:21 PM »
All their complaints were, I feel, valid. The lack of details about the actual console: interface, launch price and date were the most disappointing no-shows. And why did we have to see the repeated footage of that one video of Mario Galaxy etc, different videos would have been nice.  
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
RE:ign pans nintendo's e3 conf
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 05:11:23 PM »
To be fair, Nintendo has been stressing that you need to play the system to understand.  27 playable games is HUGE.  I think the next couple of days may be much more interesting and informative than the conference.

(just read the article, and that's what Matt says in his last line)

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 05:13:05 PM »
Well lets see last time Nintendo showed too much, Sony made a half-assed ripoff (true they were working on it for years, but they only added it after they saw the Wiimote), why should Nintendo show too much and have their competitors try and undercut them?  This way they maintain the upper hand until its too late for their competitors to counter.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 05:16:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Avinash_Tyagi
Well lets see last time Nintendo showed too much, Sony made a half-assed ripoff (true they were working on it for years, but they only added it after they saw the Wiimote), why should Nintendo show too much and have their competitors try and undercut them?  This way they maintain the upper hand until its too late for their competitors to counter.

That's the thing, I don't really care what Sony does. I don't really think that a bit of extra game footage would hurt. Seeing that contest winner on stage with Miyamoto was my favourite moment of the conference. More things like that would have been fantastic to watch.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 05:17:19 PM »
Yet Bozon gives the conference a B-, and Matt trashes it for three paragraphs before fessing up that he's still really excited.

Take this as a grain of salt from two people who knew some of these surprises for weeks, and needed more.  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 05:23:39 PM »
Does anyone here still read that site? We should know better.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 05:32:33 PM »
Solid pre-conference.  I think Nintendo is holding things close to the vest.  AFter all Wii is still 6 months away.

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 05:35:40 PM »
Yeah, but what has been said by Nintendo the last several months? "You'll know everything at E3" Or something along those lines. They could've detailed some of the OTHER important things like price, date (the lack of an exact date is worrying me), and the online service's interface. This is the best opportunity to announce these types of things.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 05:43:40 PM »
I think we're all forgetting tomorrow still exists.  There's bound to be interviews and info exchanged behind closed doors, and we're definitely going to hear more than we have now.  I'm not saying everything, but more.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 05:49:47 PM »

Originally posted by: thepoga
Yeah, but what has been said by Nintendo the last several months? "You'll know everything at E3" Or something along those lines. They could've detailed some of the OTHER important things like price, date (the lack of an exact date is worrying me), and the online service's interface. This is the best opportunity to announce these types of things.

No, TGS is the best place to do it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »
i woke up pretty early, it was unimpressive. Information is important to consumers. They left out alot of information, and honestly it didn't do anything but anger me.  

1. They only showed a few third party games.
2 the only game that looked good was red steel
3 they only showed a few first party games

if the system is coming out this year. They just need to do more.

where are the games?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 05:53:27 PM »
Really?  I was sold the second they showed the gameplay footage, in fact that's all they needed to show as far as i'm concerned, the rest i can wait, there's still six months left.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 05:59:48 PM »
Games are impulse buys, blowing all out today with the console still months away isnt a good strategy, sucks but its true, Nintendo needs to try to keep the hype up as long as possible. And we will get the info anyway, I actually prefer it this way, its painful to know about this awesome game and not being able to play it for another six months.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 06:11:08 PM »
I agree with them on certain things. I agree that the conference was terribly underwhelming, especially with the hype surrounding it. Also, I agree that perhaps Nintendo played it a little too safe and skipped many important details about the Wii.

Although I disagree with them about the graphics as...
1. When the XBOX 360 was released a lot of it's titles were basic looking
2. The Wii games have at least six months to be updated

And the shell was actually announced, it just that Nintendo didn't mention it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 06:26:18 PM »
It's not just a question of selling people a Wii... it's a question of selling them on the idea of waiting for it to launch. If one was so inclined, they could buy an Xbox 360 tomorrow... and right now we have no clue if the Wii is really going to be cheaper, or if the VC is really going to be a worthwhile feature.

Offline JoeSmashBro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 06:27:29 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Matt's and Bozon's reviews of the show. They didn't really tell us ANYTHING. Zelda and Red Steel, the two games they demoed most extensively, were the two games we already knew the most about! Besides independent developers and the announcement of WiiConnect24, almost no new details were presented!
-Joe
"If the guests give you their coats, hang them in the closet!"
AIM: WhatJoeSays

Offline Frozen Atlantic

• Spiritually Direct
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 06:29:45 PM »
Um... is E3 over? No? OK.

They may wait to reveal more through actual gameplay.

I'm starting to sound like Bill. :/
smash brothers : 5069-3792-8710

wii: 2034-1057-8595-3928

if you send me a PM, I'll add you more quickly

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 06:31:23 PM »

The IGN guys are annoying, they complain becuse the graphics aren't "next gen" and Nintendo didn't mention everything they wanted to hear, hello they aren't there to cater to your every whim Casamassina (you too Bozon).

Considering we were told time and time again from Nintendo and practically everybody else that E3 was going to answer all the questions, IGN's complaints were valid.

Nintendo missed a big opportunity to really let the general public, the group Nintendo is trying to go after, know all there is to know about the Wii.  E3 is pretty much the only gaming related event that the mainstream media outlets such as CNN ever cover in depth.  TGS?  When was the last time a mainstream media outlet ever talked about news about TGS and broadcasted them on television?

With Sony caving in and releasing actual prices and the reaction they got for it, Nintendo could have really stuck it to Sony and won over the jaded crowd, cause there are a lot, since we know that it is at least cheaper than a 360.

Their presentation was great, but it could have been even better if they released some more information.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 06:37:09 PM »
All I wanted to see was video footage and some games.  They exceeded my expectations.
I don't care about the price until I buy it.  I mean, we know it's going to be less than 300 dollars.  So what does it matter, now, beyond that?

My only concern with the VC: what games will be available.  That's also already clear.
My interest lies in the games.  So I'm thrilled, and can't wait until stuff starts coming in over the next few days.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 06:42:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Magik

Considering we were told time and time again from Nintendo and practically everybody else that E3 was going to answer all the questions, IGN's complaints were valid.

Nintendo missed a big opportunity to really let the general public, the group Nintendo is trying to go after, know all there is to know about the Wii.  E3 is pretty much the only gaming related event that the mainstream media outlets such as CNN ever cover in depth.  TGS?  When was the last time a mainstream media outlet ever talked about news about TGS and broadcasted them on television?

With Sony caving in and releasing actual prices and the reaction they got for it, Nintendo could have really stuck it to Sony and won over the jaded crowd, cause there are a lot, since we know that it is at least cheaper than a 360.

Their presentation was great, but it could have been even better if they released some more information.

Actually during the presentation Reggie said he wasn't going to answer all of our questions today.

And actually last TGS everyone talked about

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 06:45:41 PM »
It matters how much less, especially depending on the specs.

If this is essentially a souped up Gamecube, as IGN has suggested in the past, $299.99 would be a bit pricey, IMO (unless they bundle Wii Sports and a second wiimote with it or something). The difference between $199 and $299 is a significant one.

VC costs are a big factor too... if the VC is charging $10 a title or something, that's an important thing to know. Did you guys see what Sony was charging for some of the stuff they showed for Sony Live? $7 for a downloadable "level" of a game? I mean, I guess anyone who's spending $600 on a system has no concept of the value of money, but even so.

They did just enough to convince me to not buy a 360... but not enough to convince me to preorder a Wii... I need a lot more info.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 06:58:02 PM »
metroid prime 3...lookd..the same as mp2...red steel looks prettier. hopefully they can make it look better. i want to know of its online play.  
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 07:04:28 PM »

I think we're all forgetting tomorrow still exists. There's bound to be interviews and info exchanged behind closed doors, and we're definitely going to hear more than we have now. I'm not saying everything, but more.