Author Topic: Those original IPs  (Read 22573 times)

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Those original IPs
« on: May 09, 2006, 04:35:44 PM »
I'm not even going to talk about that disaster game, the whole clip looked stupid and uninteresting.  So I'm going to focus on the hammer game.  

Why make a whole game out of a power up that should be in the new Mario (Bros, it better be Bros **********).  If your sells pitch is you just hit **** with a hammer it is a dud.  If Sony had pitched these games yesterday Nintendo fans would have been like, "that's stupid."  It's like defending Geist.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline willie1234

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Those original IPs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 04:37:53 PM »
don't buy it then?

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
RE:Those original IPs
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 04:39:56 PM »
It might be a decent brawler. You can't judge a book by its cover.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 04:40:35 PM »
I won't be buying them but I am going to get pissed at Nintendo for spending money on games that are throwaway like their name is Sega.

The hammer game, I mean, am I the only person who heard the pitch which was essentially, hammer crap, the end.  I'm saying a real game, a game with a story, something interesting could have been made.  What they showed could be summed up as a facet of the new Songe Bob game on Wii where you are given a hammer (unless they cut that part out of the final product).

Offline willie1234

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 04:44:54 PM »
there will always be games that don't turn out...I'd rather see them take a chance on some new ideas then not.  let's see how these turn out before getting pissed eh?

I was hoping for pikmin 3 and mario 128.  I know, mario 128 is probably galaxy, but still I was hoping for something with 128 marios running around

Also, does anyone know if it will play dvd's out of the box? Seems like that was skipped over too.

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 04:51:03 PM »
It's a beat-em-up style game. Tons of classic beat-em-ups exist. Anybody craving for a new Ninja Turtles?

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 04:55:43 PM »
Damn it nemo. Just shut up. We had enough of your bitching in the other threads. We don't need a whole thread dedicated to your inane complaints.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 04:58:22 PM »
Nemo, they could turn out great you know, are you at E3?  If you are then play them and they let us know, otherwise wait until Nov.

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 04:59:38 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
I'm not even going to talk about that disaster game, the whole clip looked stupid and uninteresting.  So I'm going to focus on the hammer game.  

Why make a whole game out of a power up that should be in the new Mario (Bros, it better be Bros **********).  If your sells pitch is you just hit **** with a hammer it is a dud.  If Sony had pitched these games yesterday Nintendo fans would have been like, "that's stupid."  It's like defending Geist.
The funny thing is, Sony did show the hammer game quite extensively.  There was a big guy just swinging around a big pole.  I thought it was stupid, but that it would at least be better as a Wii game, because it looked like he was just swinging around a Wiimote. Lo and behold, it's a Nintendo game, too!  I still think it is lame excuse for a new nintendo IP.  I didn't see anything as unique to Wii as Pikmin was to Gamecube.  

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 05:02:09 PM »
Whatever dude, new IPs mean more characters in Smash Bros.  Bring 'em on!
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 05:05:19 PM »

Originally posted by: odifiend
Whatever dude, new IPs mean more characters in Smash Bros.  Bring 'em on!

That's what I was thinking, wouldn't mind seeing that Hammer guy show up, for example... but is it being developed first party? Or is it like the Disaster title?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 05:08:07 PM »

I'm not even going to talk about that disaster game, the whole clip looked stupid and uninteresting. So I'm going to focus on the hammer game.

Why make a whole game out of a power up that should be in the new Mario (Bros, it better be Bros **********). If your sells pitch is you just hit **** with a hammer it is a dud. If Sony had pitched these games yesterday Nintendo fans would have been like, "that's stupid." It's like defending Geist.

Nemo, you sound like a baby.  You have to remember these games are early on, and neither you or I have played them.  Ever play Double Dragon?  That game is a beat 'em up for what?  10 stages?  It's one of my favorite games ever.  Final Fight was great fun, as was Streets of Rage.  Hell, I even spent hours playing Rampage.  Point being, if we don't know how deep the game is, why bitch?  Even if it's shallow, it can be fun, as the previous games I mentioned are.  I am intrigued by the Hammer game, which in truth reminded me of God Of War, and the disaster game could be quite good.

Lo and behold, it's a Nintendo game, too! I still think it is lame excuse for a new nintendo IP. I didn't see anything as unique to Wii as Pikmin was to Gamecube.

Pikmin, which everyone bitched about?  It's not fair to say in retrospect "Pikmin is great", because when it was announced nobody thought that.  Interesting?  Perhaps.  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 05:08:29 PM »
Nemo is disappointed that Nintendo isn't introducing virtual reality or augmented reality or whatever crap he imagined would be in there. Anyone who says

I'm not even going to talk about that disaster game, the whole clip looked stupid and uninteresting.

without seeing any gameplay at all is clearly not rational at the moment. I'd give him space, let him grieve.

Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 05:20:13 PM »

I'm not even going to talk about that disaster game, the whole clip looked stupid and uninteresting.

without seeing any gameplay at all is clearly not rational at the moment. I'd give him space, let him grieve.

Especially considering the clip that was shown looked like the movie "The Day After Tomorrow".  Kickass!
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 05:27:36 PM »
I'm perfectly pleased with the interface of the system, they require no head gear at this point, but there is noting stopping Nintendo from still creating a HMD in the future as a peripheral for the remote...but it is unlikely.  I say, wait five years, it will happen, at a friendly price for both consumers and Nintendo.

"The funny thing is, Sony did show the hammer game quite extensively. There was a big guy just swinging around a big pole. I thought it was stupid, but that it would at least be better as a Wii game, because it looked like he was just swinging around a Wiimote. Lo and behold, it's a Nintendo game, too! I still think it is lame excuse for a new nintendo IP. I didn't see anything as unique to Wii as Pikmin was to Gamecube."

That's my point, I do remember the game with the guy just swinging a big pole now.  Project Hammer is not an IP to stand next to Metroid, Zelda, and Mario as the new face of Nintendo.

I'm not the only one complaining.  EGM has already made sure Nintendo knows they want the A and B button functions switched in MP3.  I think my arguments are well founded; I'm not the one who was building his year on Super Smash Bros and then broke down when it wasn't shown.  I mean, they did show Final Fantasy; hell SSB might be playable tomorrow.  I can't wait to hear impressions from all the games, E3 has a way of digging some truthiness out of journalist, maybe they get jaded, but their standards definately raise (or Sony would have gotten praised).

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 05:31:21 PM »
What's wrong with defending Geist? Geist was the right idea and the wrong design team. I loved possessing dog food and scaring dogs.

The hammer game might well be the next classic beat-em-up. I can't say it's at the top of my list of wanted launch titles (I think I'm probably going to go with Zelda, Mario, and Dragon Quest), but I'm definitely keeping an eye on anything made by Nintendo.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 05:43:51 PM »

Also, does anyone know if it will play dvd's out of the box? Seems like that was skipped over too.
They answered this a while back; you need to buy an attachment to be able to play DVDs..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline JoeTrumpet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 05:49:07 PM »
I thought it was a great strategy, honestly. Nintendo has games of different genres to tackle different audiences. Epic, deep story? We've got Zelda at launch for that (granted, it was originally a GCN game, but aiming the arrows with the Wiimote is almost enough to totally sell me on it being buffed for Wii). Need a party brawler? Smash Bros. First-person shooter? Red Steel. Good old-fashioned beat-em'-up action game? There's H.A.M.M.E.R. (which, might I add, seems like a perfect game to attract gamers that are a bit more casual, but still gamers). Disaster rounds it out with a more adult game with an interesting--obviously this isn't a universal view--synopsis. Not completely original, but interesting, nonetheless, and they could take it in a very creative direction.

Nongamers get their thrill with Wario Ware and Wii Sports. ExciteTruck seems very easy for them to pick up too. These games are great for anyone: I think I could definitely enjoy them. This just adds to the diversity.

I do see where you're going, though: I was hoping for one totally creative, perfect-for-the-hardcore-gamer IP that would show off the Wiimote in a mindblowingly new way. It didn't quite happen, but I can't say I'm disappointed with the expected launch; in fact, I almost think I'm gonna have more than I can chew: Zelda, Smash Bros, Red Steel, and more? At launch?

With online capabilities? Extensive third-party support?

And virtual console? I can't really remember when MP3 is scheduled for release (wasn't a huge fan of MP1 and MP2, really), but I believe it's close to launch, if not on launch.

Thank you, Nintendo, for what could possibly be the best launch in console history.  
Any color you like.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 06:08:56 PM »
Just shut the hell up, Nemo.  No one's listening, so you can just sit and brood about it.

I wasn't impressed by Geist, nor by what I've seen of Hammer yet, but I don't feel that it's necessary to compain.  This game will appeal to a lot of people that Nintendo games don't normally reach.  It's all about expanding the market, not every game has to be tailored exactly to your needs.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 06:50:20 PM »
There are better ways to expand the market, Red Steel is a good example, Hammer is a bad one.  If Nintendo is going to do an original game, they should start by looking at what was big in recent years like GTA and Halo.  It is Nintendo's software department who's role it is to make sure the next big game doesn't slip through their fingers again; that department has been doing a piss poor job for a while now.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 07:02:53 PM »

There are better ways to expand the market, Red Steel is a good example, Hammer is a bad one. If Nintendo is going to do an original game, they should start by looking at what was big in recent years like GTA and Halo. It is Nintendo's software department who's role it is to make sure the next big game doesn't slip through their fingers again; that department has been doing a piss poor job for a while now.

You.  Don't.  Even.  Know.  What.  Hammer.  Is.  Yet.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 07:05:27 PM »
You know I hope Hammer turns out to be good just so Nemo will stop complaining

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »

If Nintendo is going to do an original game, they should start by looking at what was big in recent years like GTA and Halo
We must emulate, not innovate, comrades! The future is imitation of the past!
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 07:12:06 PM »
It's not imitation, it is observing what made those games fun, just like what made people flock to PSX to play MGS and RE when they were exclusive.  You can study all those games and at the same time all of them are completly different.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 07:46:00 PM »
All we know about these titles is the little 5 seconds each one got in the trailer, right? I dont even know how they are implementing the remote.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro