Author Topic: Son half-assed ripped off Nintendo  (Read 32784 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE: Sony half-assed ripped off Nintendo
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2006, 06:17:19 PM »
I want a little, tiny man to come out on the big, open empty stage tommrow at Nintendo's Conference.

As he walks up to the the podium in the center of the stage, he taps the mic and says "Excuse me.. everyone, excuse me"  and waits for everyone to get really quiet.

"Everyone.  I'm sorry to announce that this Nintendo press conference has been cancelled.  It seems to us that since our competitiors have taken our ideas and made them their own, there is no reason for us to exist as a competitor in the Video Game market place anymore.  To this extent, Nintendo of America, Nintendo, Co, Ltd and all other Nintendo Partnerships around the world will be dissolved by the end of the day.  Thank you for your time."

The he walks of the stage.

The end.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2006, 06:21:14 PM »
???
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline willie1234

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2006, 06:22:49 PM »
my two cents -
i have no idea what is meant by 6 degrees of freedom/axis whatever.  what I saw in the demo was only xyz axis movement (actually, the flying seemed to me more focused to two planes).  anyway, this didn't seem to do much more than a analogue stick already does.

most important was the LAG.  from what I could gather in the video, the controller acted basically like an anologue stick in the sense that it only sends directional movement, ie lean this much, etc.

the wii controller, in contrast seems to be more like a mouse, in that it is sending location.  a big difference, for anyone who likes first person shooters on the pc can attest.  by sending location, the response is instant, you move (mouse/wiimote) accross space x units, and the character/gun/sword moves immediately.  by contrast a joystick take s time, because it is not sending location, it is sending, "push the gun/sword/etc. x amount" and the result is you are accelerating more than you are directly moving.  in the end the imersion is lost, and of course, tennis, cooking, fishing, drums, swords are impossible.

to me it looks like a cheap rip off as well, and I don't see too many games using it.

one last point.  this looks to be worse than having done nothing in one sense.  reviewers now have something to compare the two systems on where the wii will have a clear advantage.  before today, sony and microsoft had a clear out in saying, 'power is more important, the wiimote is too radical for gamers'.  now however, sony has validated nintendo, and every review will have mention of the fact that wii executes the control flawlessly while the new dual shock does not.  it is a reverse of the previous situation, where every review of the wii would mention that cpu/gpu wise it was less powerful than the 360/ps3.

I predict nintendo pulling out a ds style win here.  close match up in the us, with advantages world wide, and run away success building in japan.

Offline willie1234

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Sony half-assed ripped off Nintendo
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2006, 06:25:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Oh yeah, this isn't the only thing they copied poorly.

Did you guys all see the F1 PS3 PSP connectivity features? Hook up your $250 PSP and you get a REAR VIEW look at the race. Pressing L1 just isn't as exciting when you can look at all the action simultaniously on your PSP!

haha, I didn't miss that.  $250 for a mirror. WOW!

I also didn't miss the "sound of one hand clapping" enthousiasm through out the entire preso.  Sony looked like they were on their heals today.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2006, 06:27:31 PM »
what was the crowd response when the announced the gyro features? did they get booed? they should had.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2006, 06:30:45 PM »
This is funny.  I think this is going to look bad to everyone...and the press are not going to be excited about it.

The funny thing is...Sony may not have copied Nintendo.  They could have been planning this all along, but Nintendo beat them by designing an even better concept than Sony.  And Nintendo showing it first really helped, by having everyone see it as Nintendo's innovation.

It will be fun to see everyone comparing Sony's system to Nintendo's not by graphics, but by control because they did this.  They just pissed away there advantage of graphics because to the media it is now about which one controls better.

Stupid Sony.

You really are more arragont and pathetic than I could imagine.  

I am finally glad Microsoft is in this battle.  Between Nintendo and Microsoft Sony is not going to last.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2006, 06:34:16 PM »

The funny thing is...Sony may not have copied Nintendo. They could have been planning this all along, but Nintendo beat them by designing an even better concept than Sony. And Nintendo showing it first really helped, by having everyone see it as Nintendo's innovation.
Not a chance.  Only Warhawk uses the tilt sensor so far.  None of the other games shown.  If this were planned all along, GTHD or RR7 would have used the function (at the very least).  This is something Sony pulled out of their ass in response to the Wiimote.

EDIT:  Remember, this is the company that has used the same basic remote for their past three home consoles and a very similar control setup for their portable attempt.  They know nothing of innovation.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2006, 06:35:25 PM »
No you can tell Sony went to work on this stuff right after TGS.  The reason is they only had one demo to show off the controller.  And something wasn't right about the demo.  It was slapped together  because when the guy tilted there seemed to be a big delay before something happened on the screen.  This tells me this functionality is a very new development for Sony.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2006, 06:36:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
This is funny.  I think this is going to look bad to everyone...and the press are not going to be excited about it.

The funny thing is...Sony may not have copied Nintendo.  They could have been planning this all along, but Nintendo beat them by designing an even better concept than Sony.  And Nintendo showing it first really helped, by having everyone see it as Nintendo's innovation.

i dont think so. nintendo has had gyroscopes in their portable games for awhile now, i think the first might of been a GBC title. it could of crossed their mind, even tested it, but realized it didnt add to the game. then later on thought up the full 3d motion sensing that they are using today.

This one is definately just sony's reaction to all the good press nintendo is getting based soley on their innovative new controler; not graphics processing and cpu power or any of that trivial stuff. if sony had been planning this for a longer amount of time, as in BEFORE nintendo showed off the wiimote then their efforts would of been greater than what was shown today. this is just something that was thrown together because they didnt think it (the wiimote) would be recieved as well as it has

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline joedick

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2006, 06:37:24 PM »

I knew Nintendo was going to regret showing off the feature so early on.

I really don't think it would've made a difference when they revealed it. Long before Nintendo unveiled the controller, it was rumored that the 'revolutionary' aspect as motion detection/gyroscopes. That wasn't the shocking aspect of the controller, the fact that it was shaped like a remote was.

Sony was probably working on this long before the controller was unveiled, and were hanging on to it in case the rumors were true.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2006, 06:39:53 PM »
given sonys track record; its hard to believe anyone could actually think that sony would of come up with this before nintendo, before microsoft even.
they've always taken the "wait and see" approach before "innovating".

EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Jin-X

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2006, 06:42:22 PM »
Its obvious that this is a lame rip-off. From the half-ass nature of it, to the rushed nature of it, hell they had to take out rumble. Of course some Sony fanboys will try to claim otherwise to what is as plain as night and day.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2006, 06:45:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Jin-X
Its obvious that this is a lame rip-off. From the half-ass nature of it, to the rushed nature of it, hell they had to take out rumble. Of course some Sony fanboys will try to claim otherwise to what is as plain as night and day.

yeah and the sad part is, this could be the "straw that broke the camels back" for me. i'll have to stop trying to prove what sony ripped off and from who and instead do what reggie would do; punch them in the face

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2006, 06:56:11 PM »
I knew this was coming... but I didn't think they would be that desperate.

Re-eunuch-mote. How pathetic.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2006, 07:20:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Luckily Sony didn't do a good job of copying the idea but what if they had?  Seems like Nintendo gambled on that one.

Oh, I doubt it. I'm sure Nintendo knew, that by the time they showed off the controller, it was too late for Sony to copy it in a timely manner. Nintendo's been working on this thing for a LONG time, developing the tech, working through lag issues, getting patents, working on games, etc.

Originally posted by: zakkiel
I suggest we relieve blood pressure for the next 14 hours by coming up with possible Nintendo responses. Here's mine:

The conference opens, revealing IWATA-SAN at the podium while beside him, MIYAMOTO-SAN is playing Pilotwings with what appears to be... a giant dual-shock controller. He's trying to control it entirely by tilt and doing quite badly.

MIYAMOTO: Iwata-san, we're losing!
IWATA: What'ss wrongu, Miyamoto-san?
MIYAMOTO: We needu mow powuh!

ahahaha. That'd be great....though Nintendo will probably be too busy wowing everyone to bother taking out the trash...
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2006, 07:46:49 PM »
Does the Wiimote have rumble? Does the nunchuck attachment?

I don't care about rumble personally, but if we've got it in either. they absolutely have to have Reggie stick it to Sony for claiming that it can't be done:

Offline Griffin

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2006, 07:48:20 PM »
Last I heard, the wiimote has rumble.  

...did I actually call it the "wiimote"? Crap. I've converted.
INCONCEIVABLE!!!

AC Info:

Name: Mike
Town: PhatCave

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2006, 07:48:42 PM »
yes the remote rumbles

nunchuck I dont know, I think not.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2006, 07:50:08 PM »
Well, it has been confirmed that there's force feedback(I think), which is kind of more impressive than rumble, of not along those same lines.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2006, 08:16:18 PM »
Wow, things like these really brings out the fanboy in you..

Well, looks like Nintendo has achieved their goal of "disrupting the market"; perhaps in a way that they didn't even think. Imagine what's going on in Microsoft's camp right now..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2006, 08:17:17 PM »
Wow.  I got alot of grief from my statements.

I still stand by them.  We don't know when Sony had the idea...or if they stole it from Nintendo.

They probably did.  I think Sony is a bunch of pathetic weasels when it comes to stuff like that.  I wouldn't mind stealing technology and innovation, that is going to happen, but don't pretend you aren't stealing it.  And don't call the company's innovation you are copying a sparkling innovation.  It shows very low class.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2006, 08:22:35 PM »

And don't call the company's innovation you are copying a sparkling innovation
Hahahaha.. filters are your friend
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2006, 08:23:19 PM »

Does the Wiimote have rumble? Does the nunchuck attachment?

I believe Nintendo has confirmed rumble/feedback for both, yes.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2006, 08:23:28 PM »
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html

Sorry if it's already been posted. Just posting it before bed...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2006, 08:30:44 PM »
I've thought about it some more, and I think Nintendo shouldn't even mention Sony's press conference. Seriously... this is such a train wreck to begin with, it's almost spiteful to point it out.

We've got two Square Enix launch titles, they're going to be lucky if they get one.
We're getting our own original Madden and Tony Hawk titles, they're going to have to settle for Xbox 360 ports.

What are the big things they got? Another Metal Gear that appears to play almost exactly like the last 3, and a racing game with a connectivity function that would've been embarrassing last generation.

Are we really supposed to believe that the mainstream is going to spend $600 on a console to play a $60 racing game using a $250 handheld as a mirror?

The conference tomorrow needs to be about Wii... what Wii offers...

Sony dropped the ball today... instead of pointing and laughing we just need to pick it up and head downfield.

Yay... football metaphor.