Author Topic: EDITORIALS: Wii Will Get Over It, Won’t Wii?  (Read 53346 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:EDITORIALS: Wii Will Get Over It, Won’t Wii?
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2006, 09:40:08 PM »
This is what I find extremely disturbing about the argument.

It's OK if you guys agree with the name, like the name and disagree with what we think. But when you openly question our reasons for not agreeing with the name and make allusions to our sanity in general, I can't help but feel a little disgusted by it.

In all honesty, I think most of you that support the name have a faith in Nintendo so grand that you don't want to hear any negative comments or general opinion.

This is almost like when you have great faith in God and an atheist comes to you and say "there's no God. All Churches lie to you. The bible is a fake". Your faith in God is so big that you cast aside everything that person says, wether what they say is right or wrong.

They could be telling you the biggest truth there is and you still cast it aside. Why? Because people just don't want to hear it. They want to believe that what they have faith in is right and is the absolute truth in life, even when it's clearly obvious it isn't.

This is what is happening right now with Nintendo. True, some of you have valid points as to why the name works, but from what I've seen it's all mostly blind faith in them and you don't WANT to hear what we have to say.

Want proof of this? Rick Powers' editorial. He presented his views as to why the name might not work in a smart, coherent, calm, cool and collected manner. Yet a great deal of you have bashed him and argued his opinion down, even when he offers some really damn good points! And why? Because comments like this goes against what you believe in!

Are we being too dramatic? Yes, I agree some of us have been a little too passionate about it. Are we being negative? Yes we are. Could our opinion be the truth and what we say is what will happen to Nintendo? Far from it. Like I said, we can analyze this all we want but in the end we can't determine what will happen. But guess what? Neither does your own words.

Don't like what we have to say? Fine! Disagree with us? Fine. You guys have the right to discuss this and bring your own views into it. It's the insults, the flaming and the censorship that annoys the hell out of us.

If you guys love the Wii name so much why don't you post extensive, coherent and realistic editorials and points as to why the name works?

A great deal of the Wii haters have posted some good points as to why the name doesn't work, Rick Powers' editorial being a recent example. I have yet to see a good argument coming from a Wii follower. All I've read was "The people that hate the Wii are inmature", "You guys have severe issues", "You guys are morons" and the list goes on.

If you guys want to agree with the Wii, post relevant thoughts on the matter. If you rely on insults and flaming it just proves my point that you guys are so intent on believing on Nintendo that you would be willing to insult and cast aside anyone that thinks differently.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2006, 09:50:41 PM »

Originally posted by: The Omen
It sounds just the way it's written only after you're told how it sounds(and barely at that), not upon first encountering Wii.  Most newbies won't be working from hindsight like you.

Nope, to someone whose native language isn't English the name is straightforward.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2006, 09:57:29 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Do you know what happens when games and consoles don't sell? The companies that produces them lose money. And what happens when they lose money? They lose third party support and go bankrupt. And what happens if Nintendo fails? We won't be able to play their games ever again.

I hate the Wii name, but that is a doomsdays predicition like no other. The system, no matter how bad it does, will never effect Nintendo to the degree where they close shop.

The worst case scenario, and why we are debating this as much as we are, is that sales are low and, in turn, third party support is very weak as companies don't even bother to take advantage of the controller inovations on account of it not being viable to allocate Wii exclusive content. That's what's at stake here, not Nintendo's entire bottom line or well being.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE: EDITORIALS: Wii Will Get Over It, Won’t Wii?
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2006, 10:01:58 PM »

This is almost like when you have great faith in God and an atheist comes to you and say "there's no God. All Churches lie to you. The bible is a fake". Your faith in God is so big that you cast aside everything that person says, wether what they say is right or wrong.

But do you cast aside what they say? About God, I mean?

Anyway. Not sure if any of that is directed at me, but, I feel like I've made some good points (if I do say so myself) and haven't been insulting. I suppose others have been less so, and I'll agree the insults are annoying. Yes. Everyone stop insulting and such.

If you guys love the Wii name so much why don't you post extensive, coherent and realistic editorials and points as to why the name works?

A great deal of the Wii haters have posted some good points as to why the name doesn't work, Rick Powers' editorial being a recent example. I have yet to see a good argument coming from a Wii follower. All I've read was "The people that hate the Wii are inmature", "You guys have severe issues", "You guys are morons" and the list goes on.

For whatever it's worth, most of what I've been hearing out of Wii detractors has been: I don't like the name, therefore it is bad + here's an over-the-top prediction for how I assume consumers will respond to it + here's an over-the-top prediction for the doom the name will bring to Nintendo.

edit: I thought Rick's editorial was pretty good, though.

*shrug*    
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2006, 10:05:50 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering
...most of what I've been hearing out of Wii supporters has been: I don't like the name, therefore it is bad + here's an over-the-top prediction for how I assume consumers will respond to it + here's an over-the-top prediction for the doom the name will bring to Nintendo.

Man, if that's what the supporters are saying, I would hate to see what the critics of the name think about the situation...  

EDIT: Bah, must you spoil all my fun? Late night typos are the best...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2006, 10:07:46 PM »
ahaha.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2006, 04:40:13 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
Okay SB, now you're pulling doomsday predictions out of thin air for a worst-case scenario you're treating as fact. Worse, you're basing your actions and judgment on it.

I can't argue with blatant irrationality, man; give me something to work with.

Regardless, I maintain that if that's enough to nullify your enjoyment of the games... if you can't handle the concept of paying money to play games that you think are fun, because of the off chance that, in a parallel universe where Nintendo did what you wanted, there might have been more games... well, I don't know what to say. It hurts just to type out logic that convoluted.

How am I being a doomsday predictor? If the wii fails, do you think Nintendo will try again with another home console? They pulled all the stops on this one, clearly put a great deal into R&D and if the console doesn't outsell the GC, it'll likely be the last home console they ever create.

Nothing is nullifying my enjoyment of the games. I'll buy them and enjoy them all I want. I just can't become excited to hear about them because, like I said, I think the name will cripple the console its whole life and I'm sick of investing in products which die out (Dreamcast) or get the shaft when it comes to support (GC).

A great deal of the Wii haters have posted some good points as to why the name doesn't work, Rick Powers' editorial being a recent example. I have yet to see a good argument coming from a Wii follower. All I've read was "The people that hate the Wii are inmature", "You guys have severe issues", "You guys are morons" and the list goes on

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've seen plenty of attacking the anti-wii argument but I've seldom seen a counter-argument saying "The will will succeed because of _________."

Then again, that argument would sound like, "People will get over the name and the non-gamers who Nintendo is aiming for will buy it, despite never owning a console before. They'll look past the fact that they're image conscious Americans who value their purchasing decisions above their own spirituality for the sake of buying a console from a game company which has a huge stigma for being aimed at children and is all but unheard of in the US thanks to two giant competitors trying to crush them out of existence, and they'll buy it even if the name is awkward and embarrassing to use in a sentence because you can barely say two words about it without stumbling onto innuendo."
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2006, 05:11:38 AM »

Originally posted by: wandering
Oh, also, sorry. I have to ask:

Originally posted by: Mantidor
The problem is that I find myself in the scenario when I actually want this console to fail because of the name, because Ive never been so disgusted in my life. I don't know if it will happen, given the console's features I actually doubt it will happen, but I want it to happen, that makes my stomach revolt.

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but the name actually killed my enthusiasm for E3.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

oh I shouldve also clarified that I want it to fail because is the only way to get a change in the name.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2006, 06:22:32 AM »

How am I being a doomsday predictor? If the wii fails, do you think Nintendo will try again with another home console? They pulled all the stops on this one, clearly put a great deal into R&D and if the console doesn't outsell the GC, it'll likely be the last home console they ever create.

Of course they will. Why wouldn't they? Companies don't just give up and go home when one of their products doesn't do as well as expected. I'm not sure where you're getting this "Nintendo dies if the Wii dies" thing from, but I'm afraid it does make you quite the little doomsday prophet.

I just can't become excited to hear about them because, like I said, I think the name will cripple the console its whole life and I'm sick of investing in products which die out (Dreamcast) or get the shaft when it comes to support (GC).

And I guess there lies your problem. Wii isn't a technology to invest in and pledge your neverending loyalty to, it's just a console to buy to play games on if you like the games.

I can understand not liking the name; I can understand not expecting Wii to sell well at all. But allowing that to lessen your enjoyment of the games... well, you can't argue the rationality behind that. It doesn't exist. There's a line between disagreement and illogical bitterness, and you crossed it. I'll talk to you again when you're making sense; in the meantime, I at least will be looking forward to the games I think I'm going to enjoy.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2006, 06:44:50 AM »
Nintendo defines success as "makes more money than we put into it". As opposed to MS who somehow managed to define the XBox as a success.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2006, 07:01:35 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN  Of course they will. Why wouldn't they? Companies don't just give up and go home when one of their products doesn't do as well as expected. I'm not sure where you're getting this "Nintendo dies if the Wii dies" thing from, but I'm afraid it does make you quite the little doomsday prophet.

Do you not understand what's going on here? This would be the 3rd home console which has finished last.

I'm POSITIVE that there are higher-ups at Nintendo who must be pushing for the elimination of the home console and the focus to be placed entirely on the vastly more successful handheld console line. If Nintendo took the resources they've been investing in the home console market and put it into handhelds, they'd likely get far more return for their money. If the wii doesn't outsell the GC, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nintendo just packed their bags and left the home console market.

And I guess there lies your problem. Wii isn't a technology to invest in and pledge your neverending loyalty to, it's just a console to buy to play games on if you like the games.

I can understand not liking the name; I can understand not expecting Wii to sell well at all. But allowing that to lessen your enjoyment of the games... well, you can't argue the rationality behind that. It doesn't exist. There's a line between disagreement and illogical bitterness, and you crossed it. I'll talk to you again when you're making sense; in the meantime, I at least will be looking forward to the games I think I'm going to enjoy.

Do you own a GC? What is your GC doing RIGHT NOW? I'm willing to bet that it's GATHERING DUST just like mine.

When I buy a console, I expect that the console will have good games released for it its whole lifetime. The GC didn't live up to this, something I consider to be a reasonable expectation.

If the wee doesn't live up to this either, I'm going to regret buying one. $200 could pay for a lot of other things and if Nintendo is going to slap a craptacular name on their console, how can I expect it to sell well enough that developers will continue to support it?  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2006, 07:16:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_BrotherHow can I expect it to sell well enough that developers will continue to support it?

That's funny.  It's gotten developer support even before one has been sold.  MUCH more than the GC had.

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2006, 07:18:25 AM »
You don't have to make doomsday predictions to demonstrate the negative effect it would have on us if the Wii name hurt sales.  All you have to look at is the Cube.  I have played only ONE GAME on my Cube in a least a year and a half.  The console might as well have had a three year shelf life.  I don't want that to happen again.  The Cube's low sales have affected my enjoyment of it because there just is dick all nothing to play on it right now.  If the Wii name turns off all the gamers that didn't buy the Cube and non-gamers don't show interest then the BEST Nintendo can hope for is sales at least comparible to the Cube.  In other words it's the same bullsh!t three times in a row where I'm sitting around with nothing to play.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2006, 07:21:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Strell That's funny.  It's gotten developer support even before one has been sold.  MUCH more than the GC had.

First of all, all of this dev support came BEFORE the name was announced, which I'm sure didn't earn Nintendo any friends, especially with American devs.

Second it's the CONTINUED dev support that I'm worried about. The GC started alright and gradually sank to the point where devs were axing all GC support.

How can US devs not be pissed as all hell? Nintendo made a decision without even considering the ramifications it may have in english-speaking territories. If I were them, I'd be praying that somehow despite one of the worst names imaginable, the console still sells well.

Never mind, I'm doing THAT anyway.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2006, 07:24:42 AM »

Originally posted by: wandering What the hell is wrong with you people?

Why don't YOU tell US?

If you think we're wrong, explain how we're wrong.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2006, 07:26:53 AM »
So Ian, would you say your $200 wasn't worth the two and a half years of good games you did play on the console?

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2006, 07:34:19 AM »
If he bought a PS2, he could have had 4-5 years of good games.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2006, 07:42:28 AM »
But he didn't buy a PS2, I'm assuming because he likes Nintendo's games more. Isn't that what it comes down to? Buying a system to play the games you want?

Really, I had no idea you guys were so intent on getting a specific number of years of enjoyment out of your investment. Seems to me you might be overthinking things a little.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2006, 07:43:46 AM »
SB, continued developer support is less Nintendo's doing at this point and more the consumers.  

If people honestly don't buy it based on the name, even when developers are making the effort to bring them new gameplay experiences, the name becomes irrelevent.  I concede that it was Nintendo's decision for the name.  But if we're dealing with fanboy bs and idiotic "image" conscious people who refuse to buy it on name alone DESPITE the games being there, then we're dealing with two different sets of problems.

You know how you get it to have continued support?  You stop being a whiner and you buy the system and games on launch.  And you continue to support it.  Therefore it is almost entirely in the hands of the consumer at this point.  The name shouldn't even BE considered.  The gameplay should.  You know, the same battle cry that N-fans have screamed for the last 10 years?  That it's the gameplay that matters, not the graphics, image, color of the console, or other nonsense.  

But I guess even N-fans are allowed to be stupid.

Vote with your dollars.  Whether or not that keeps it successful isn't up to you, but at least you did your part.

Which is how I am going to pursue it.  Screw what others do and what others say.  At the end of the next gen, I'll be sitting here knowing I did my part to make sure Nintendo got the damn message that I support their system and their sincere attempt to be innovative.

Now I've had it with this argument.  You people call me irrational for dealing with the name, and I call you irrational for not liking it.  The only difference is that you hide your own dislike behind this guise of "OMFG IT WILL HURT THE SALES."

Screw that.  Unless you're a total idiot, you realize that YOU buying the system is what matters for YOU.  If others don't follow, that's THEIR damn problem.  And I assure you they will be missing out.  
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2006, 07:58:01 AM »
I am buying it. I'll probably love the games and the system, but that doesn't stop me from fearing that the thing will have a limited life span.

Buying dying consoles is right up my alley. I owned a Sega CD, Atari Jaguar, and a Dreamcast. I had fun with them, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that I would have preferred to have fun with them for longer with more games.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2006, 08:23:39 AM »
{que old school end-of-episode narrator voice}

Could this be the worse decision Nintendo has made since the Cartridges?

Has Nintendo lost the war before it started?

Or is this all just a bunch of bullsh!t?

Come back next year for the exciting conclusion of: Wii, the best worst name ever!

{/que old school end-of-episode narrator voice}  
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2006, 08:23:52 AM »
We're cool then.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2006, 08:34:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem Or is this all just a bunch of bullsh!t?

I'm rooting for this one, or for Nintendo to at least explain a marketing strategy at E3 which will make most folks nod and say, "Yeah, that could work."

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2006, 08:34:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
{que old school end-of-episode narrator voice}

Could this be the worse decision Nintendo has made since the Cartridges?

Has Nintendo lost the war before it started?

Or is this all just a bunch of bullsh!t?

Come back next year for the exciting conclusion of: Wii, the best worst name ever!

{/que old school end-of-episode narrator voice}

You forgot the creepy piano music and the images of shock and awe.

You know like...O.O :_O :|

Also, you should've said "Tune in to E3 to see the development of this story!".
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2006, 08:35:39 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
We're cool then.