Author Topic: It's offical, the AIAS awards are completely full of crap  (Read 19256 times)

Offline HockeyDude

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
It's offical, the AIAS awards are completely full of crap
« on: February 28, 2003, 09:12:35 AM »
Yea, this makes sense.  
Splinter Cell wins Console Game of the Year, over 2 Nintendo games, noth of which were nominated for OVERALL Game of the Year?!  Who can actually let that happen?  Metroid Prime especially.  MP is one of the great modern classics, and it gets beaten by......a stealth game?  MP creates the FPA genre, and it gets beat by......a stealth game?  Oh but SC has coll lighting effects?  Woopdiedoo!  Thats doesnt take away from the awful frame-rate, non-existant AI (there no excuse in this day to have guard that repeat the same phrases over and over, and wakl right into the line of fire constantly)  Splinter Cell is good, but what really irks me about this is how they are saying that its a better game than Metroid Prime.  It's pathetic.  The AIAS has lost ALL credibility.  
HockeyDude, Gamer since 1990

NES-SNES-Saturn-N64-GC-Nintendo ???

Fav games- Ocarina of Time - Majora's Mask - Super Metroid - Castlevania 3 - Mario 3 - Resident Evil - Perfect Dark - Goldeneye - Metroid Prime - Circle of the Moon

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 09:16:45 AM »
Just because it's retarded doesn't make it less of an opinion.

Maybe they really like Microsoft... If I remember right, Halo won last year too.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 09:23:13 AM »
It is not as bad as 2000 when SSX won game of the year. Splinter Cell is a great game. I think that they shouldn't nominate Overall and just take the nominations from PC Game of the Year and Console Game of the Year.

I don't get how a game can get a record 10 nominations and only win one award.

The good thing about this year is that Animal Crossing got the recognization it deserves.

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 09:23:30 AM »
That's ok, Metroid Prime kicked ass in EGM awards. When PS2 has the highest user base, it's nice to see that a console with the lowest base gets the most votes. Although, I still think Zelda deserves Platinum on EGM.

Offline CijaroDSK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 09:43:31 AM »
Zelda will win next year.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2003, 09:46:49 AM »

Originally posted by: CijaroDSK
Zelda will win next year.

Don't hold your breath. I predict Halo 2 will win the AIAS awards. At least then I can be sure money hats are involved.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Dolphin64X

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2003, 09:50:07 AM »
Holdonaminute....
SSX won game of the year in 2000?  That means it won over Majora's Mask....   That means it won over Zelda....   Over Zelda!

I suppose they are pretty, well, stupid.
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us," said one Xbox to the other.

"Heck, if Microsoft packaged that eight-minute playable level as a full game it would rank higher than just about any other Xbox game since the original Halo."
-IGNXBOX

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2003, 09:58:26 AM »
Zelda: Majora's Mask wasn't as good as OOT. The Game of the Year 2000 should have went to one of the Dreamcast games.

Console Game of the Year 2000 Nominees
Banjo Tooie (N64)
Chrono Cross (PS1)
Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
Jet Grind Radio (DC)
Madden NFL 2001 (PS2)
Rayman 2: The Great Escape (DC)
Shenmue (DC)
Skies of Arcadia (DC)
Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PS1)
SSX (PS2)
Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PS1)
Virtua Tennis (DC)
WWF No Mercy (N64)
Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)

Offline sonic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2003, 10:11:15 AM »
I think Majora's Mask is leagues beyond OoT.

Offline slide24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2003, 10:18:17 AM »
Metroid Prime should have AT THE VERY LEAST won console game of the year, but it should have also taken game of the year. Metroid Prime was outstanding in every sense of the word and deserved both awards. This isn't just some upset Nintendo fan ranting; Metroid Prime is hailed as possibly one of the best games of all time.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2003, 10:21:27 AM »
Yeah, I was surprised that Metroid lost most of it's awards.

"Maybe they really like Microsoft"

Don't you mean Microsoft's MONEY. Just kidding- remember guys, we ARE getting Splinter Cell soon with updates.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2003, 11:27:36 AM »
Yeah, Splinter Cell's coming to Gamecube.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft was bribing anybody.  Splinter Cell looks rather cliche and dull compared to Prime.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline MH-001

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2003, 12:10:17 PM »
Stop complaining! If you'll notice, all the games that won awards, that are in Planetgameucbe's award article, are ALL for nintendo. Two Towers, Splinter Cell, Metroid Prime, whatever. They're still on GC. That shows how high-quality nintendo's lineup is.
Humans were born with the ability to be stupid. You're abusing the privelage.

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2003, 01:24:09 PM »
Actually Splinter Cell is not on the GC yet so it won the award for the Xbox version.  
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2003, 01:37:21 PM »
having played Splinter Cell on Xbox, i must say it is a really fun game.
however, i found Metroid Prime to be a much better title, with a better atmosphere and an epic feel. in my mind, Metroid Prime is the game of the year
I'll shut up now...

Offline TheCouch123

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2003, 01:48:57 PM »
actually mh 001 planet gamecube only posted the games that were on gamecube sorry to break it to but it still had 2 more games than ps2  
I am so bored.

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2003, 02:10:15 PM »
Sorry but they can't give an award to a game that hasn't released yet, to quote:

Following is a list of all winners that have appeared or will soon appear on GameCube or GBA.

Sorry if that came out jerkish, it wasn't meant to.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2003, 06:42:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Gamer Donkey
Actually Splinter Cell is not on the GC yet so it won the award for the Xbox version.

Splinter Cell is Splinter Cell, so who cares what console it's on? IT's not like Microsoft owns it or anything.

Uh oh, better not give Gates any ideas....

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2003, 06:50:17 PM »
As I understood it the GC version was supposed to be updated. Nevertheless Nintendo will most likely survive despite a few badly judged awards*.

*Not to imply the judges are crooked.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2003, 08:23:50 PM »
The games are judges on quality
not popularity
and the judges are people in high places in the gaming industry
and not stupid
Majora's mask shouldnt of won and It didnt
just like FFX shouldnt of won and it didnt
there is more to the game then just grabbing a already made engine and tweaking it a bit

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2003, 11:23:02 PM »
Its really wierd though, the fact alone, that Metroid Prime got better reviews basically everywhere makes this whole thing wierd.
LZ 2005

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2003, 01:33:11 AM »

Originally posted by: HockeyDude
Oh but SC has coll lighting effects?  Woopdiedoo!  Thats doesnt take away from the awful frame-rate, non-existant AI (there no excuse in this day to have guard that repeat the same phrases over and over, and wakl right into the line of fire constantly)  Splinter Cell is good, but what really irks me about this is how they are saying that its a better game than Metroid Prime.  It's pathetic.  The AIAS has lost ALL credibility.

*sigh*
They've lost all credibility because you don't agree with them? That makes no sense, at all.
Also, Splinter Cell introduced a whole new level of interactive environments. Shooting holes in fish tanks, watching the glass crack at all the right spots, watching them grow larger and larger until it burst, spraying water all over the carpet, soaking INTO the carpet to create a mushy sound when you tred on it, this game had great attention to detail.. I'm not saying it should have won for this reason, but it's got alot more than meets the eye (cue Transformers theme)

Anyway, if it were up to me, Eternal Darkness or Sly Cooper would have won game of the year. See, everybody has different opinions..

Offline Byron

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2003, 02:23:58 AM »
Here are the list of the judges:
The Academy's Board of Directors is composed of the following industry leaders:

Don James, Nintendo of America,
Chair Ted Price, Insomniac Games,
Vice Chair John Sutyak, Infogrames,
Secretary Yves Blehaut, Infogrames
Rick Giolito, Electronic Arts
Lorne Lanning, Oddworld Inhabitants
Douglas Lowenstein, IDSA
Laird Malamed, Activision
Stuart Moulder, Microsoft
Ray Muzyka, Bioware Corp.
Paul Provenzano, Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences
Mike Ryder, Sierra Entertainment
Jesse Schell, Walt Disney Imagineering
Bruce Shelley, Ensemble Studios
Shuhei Yoshida, Sony Computer Entertainment of America

Notice how most of these companies back Microsoft and have made deals to make games only for the XBox like Oddworld Inhabitants,Infogrames,Bioware corp and Ensemble Studios which is OWNED by Microsoft.

Basically Microsoft had 4 companies that make games only for XBox including Microsoft which is a judge too which is 5 judges on its side While Nintendo has none of its 2nd party as a judge or any allies like Capcom. So Nintendo only had 1.

While others like Sierra are hardcore PC gamers so they are more attracted to games like Splinter Cell and Activision has dissed Nintendo is the past and wants to leave the Gamecube.

So right there Microsoft already has 7 judges on their side. While Nintendo and Sony have none.

Microsoft automatically has 7 out of the 15 votes. No wonder a game like Splinter Cell which has gotten mediocre reviews compared to Metroid Prime won.

I guess money can buy you success.  lol

Offline Dolphin64X

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2003, 02:33:37 AM »
Hey, Majora's Mask was awesome.  If you cannot see the genius behind it, then I truly pity you.  And it was much more than a retread of Ocarina of Team.  After all, can you think of any game which used time to such a degree?  Had seperate lives for each inhabitant followed through three days?  Had a recursive formula which never became frustrating?

That's what they call innovation, kids.

And Mario Sunshine was shut out!  What gives?  I love platforming games, and Mario Sunshine was truly the epitome of the genre.  The simple pleasure of Mario's jumping made everything a joy; the difficulty was perhaps the best thing-never have I been so challenged by a 3D platform game, nor so happy because of it.

It should have won platform game of the year.

So there.    
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us," said one Xbox to the other.

"Heck, if Microsoft packaged that eight-minute playable level as a full game it would rank higher than just about any other Xbox game since the original Halo."
-IGNXBOX

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2003, 02:40:29 AM »
I believe Byron had just given us the evidence we needed to say that the Awards have lost some credibility. Of course, do we really know how thier voting system works? I mean they may or may not have some system in place to prevent votes from being brought off.

But yes I must say that Splinter Cell winning Console Game of the Year is somewhat questionable...
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?