Author Topic: NiGHTS Revolution!  (Read 33051 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:NiGHTS Revolution!
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2006, 09:09:24 AM »
Is not myth. Is study. But no link I have now. Maybe special population. Maybe nobel laurate winners. Me no know. Me post link if find. Otherwise word take mine..

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE: NiGHTS Revolution!
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2006, 09:18:25 AM »
Kairon:  I don't buy all the studies that people do.  Sometimes results are measured as factual when really they should be inconclusive.  

Science of the mind and people in general is very flawed...just like theortic Science usually is.

There are studies that say Global Warming is caused by man.  (Yeah right.)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2006, 09:24:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-SpangThere are studies that say Global Warming is caused by man.  (Yeah right.)

I know, tell me about it! Women are just as culpable as we are!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2006, 09:41:48 AM »
Kairon:

No you see until recently studies had shown mean and women were exactly the same.

So to say man is to say woman.

Basically I believe global warming as we see it doesn't exist.

I believe the universe goes through cycles and we may be warming up because severl external factors, but it will eventually cool again...then again we may actually not be warming at all and cooling.  There is so little evidence.

I remember reading a study that once said Orange Juice caused cancer...it was later retracted.

So I put very little faith in studies.

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2006, 10:06:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
I believe the universe goes through cycles and we may be warming up because severl external factors, but it will eventually cool again...then again we may actually not be warming at all and cooling.  There is so little evidence.

I've never heard anyone disagree with that. The issue is the speed. There is zero evidence for the type of climate change we are currently seeing having happened before.

But continue to be ignorant and we'll all continue on this path to our own extinctions.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2006, 10:18:27 AM »
I've never played NiGHTS, and, aside from the unusual capitalization, I don't know anything about it.  Lots of people praise it, so could someone explain what exactly the game is about before a mod locks this thread?

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2006, 10:31:47 AM »
Basically in Nights you play as either a yoing boy or girl where you're transported into a magical dream world in your sleep where you are able to transform into a flying jester-looking character (which I believe is a Night) and fly through various obstacles as fast as possible collecting as many points along the way as you can before facing that level's boss.
When you're in human form you can explore in 3D but when you take flight it's all 2D gameplay with rotating camera like in Kirby's N64 game. Most of the game does take place in flight with you only being in human form if you run out of dream magic or whatever.
Why is the game great?
It has a great atmosphere with imaginative levels and enemies, brilliant level design, addictive and challenging gameplay, and incredible boss battles. More than that, it was unlike any game made before or since for that matter. It was truly something special.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2006, 12:58:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
They've done studies that show that our greatest men have done their best work predominantly in their 20's. Why? Because once they married and "got the girl" they no longer needed to advertise for a mate, so one of the big subconscious reasons why they were so driven was fulfilled.

...Don't know why I remembered that all of a sudden...

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

It's a little more broad than that.  Any person who gains a high degree of success, in any field, instinctively lose that intial drive that they used to gain that success.  Age isn't really the culprit, it's at what age you become content with your career.  In most cases, it's the comfortable lifestyle and having a big bank account that end greatness.  For every Spielberg, there is a Lynch.  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2006, 01:04:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Michael8983
Basically in Nights you play as either a yoing boy or girl where you're transported into a magical dream world in your sleep where you are able to transform into a flying jester-looking character (which I believe is a Night) and fly through various obstacles as fast as possible collecting as many points along the way as you can before facing that level's boss.
When you're in human form you can explore in 3D but when you take flight it's all 2D gameplay with rotating camera like in Kirby's N64 game. Most of the game does take place in flight with you only being in human form if you run out of dream magic or whatever.
Why is the game great?
It has a great atmosphere with imaginative levels and enemies, brilliant level design, addictive and challenging gameplay, and incredible boss battles. More than that, it was unlike any game made before or since for that matter. It was truly something special.

The funny thing is that EGM (I think) called this game one of the most overrated games ever and said that it was a game where all you is collect orbs and fly through rings. Tha's it.

I haven't played the game, either, so I don't know if they are right or not, but I will say that back in the day the game was indeed truly special.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2006, 05:16:54 PM »
The worst thing Sega did for it was to put it up directly against Mario 64..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2006, 09:53:51 AM »
The frothing demand for this game increases....

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2006, 01:38:51 PM »
Not really Icecold, because it DID show that the Saturn could do similar game play as mario 64. The  thing of it was they should have madea  fantastic 3D Sonic they they teased us with (sonic X-Treme) instead of NiGHTS.

Also it was one of the first games I got for my Saturn and is definaltely deserving of the hype.  If you want to get full reviews and screen shots just goto  www.gamefaqs.com look up Sega Saturn and find NiGHTS Into Dreams. They gaem was so big and special they made thier own special controller fo rit which latter became the standard controller AND evolved into teh Dc controller AND it got a special edition Christmas bonus that added new levels and themes. It was HUGE back in the day. The main character kind looak liek those Jokers ona deck of cards with the funny hats and he has purple clothes. If you play SOnic Advenutre there is a Casin level where you fly threw the slot machines and youa ctualy fly through his level and see him flying around, it was awesome to see that and it gives you a fell of what they game was like.  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2006, 01:55:19 PM »
I want to play this, but I cannot because there are no ROMS. Darn CDs.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2006, 02:12:34 PM »

Not really Icecold, because it DID show that the Saturn could do similar game play as mario 64. The thing of it was they should have madea fantastic 3D Sonic they they teased us with (sonic X-Treme) instead of NiGHTS.
I meant that you just can't compare the two; they have their own charm and style. They were both different, and SEGA shouldn't have said it was a "Mario-killer."
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2006, 07:31:20 PM »

For every Spielberg, there is a Lynch.

Lynch being in the good column, right?

Personally, I don't think scientists can explain the motivation of great men. People do things because they have to do them. What you can look at, though are the factors that lead to the abilitity of great men: mathematicians do their best work when they're young because that's when their minds are sharp. Artists do their best work when they're old because they've accumalated a greater knowledge and understanding of the world around them. Succesuful artists, like The Omen said, stop doing good work because they exist in a bubble.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2006, 07:49:50 PM »
Lynch's earliest stuff was the worst.  Boring as hell.
At least his short films were.  Haven't seen Eraserhead yet.

So, NiGHTS, eh?  Never played it, but I'm looking forward to trying it.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2006, 09:15:56 PM »

Originally posted by: animecyberrat
Not really Icecold, because it DID show that the Saturn could do similar game play as mario 64. The  thing of it was they should have madea  fantastic 3D Sonic they they teased us with (sonic X-Treme) instead of NiGHTS.

They've had another decade now and they still haven't made a 3D Sonic that can hold a candle to Mario 64.

I think they made the right choice in this regard, NiGHTS was a 3D experience from the ground up, and a satisfying one. I think the true mistake was not making an epic Sonic 2D game for the Saturn. The Saturn was an amazing 2D platform (see Xmen vs. Streetfighter), and Sonic really could've used another epic tour-de-force 2D title.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2006, 06:38:41 AM »
Yeah what i was meaning though was they showed off some steller images and gameplay footage that made fans drool, latter the game that was goign to be sonic-x became two seperate games, first they used all the levels and redesgined the gameplay and made Sonic R, second they used a lot of the mechanics and made Sonic Adventure, say what yo will but Sonic Adventure was a big hit and was great when it first came out. Sure the otehrs havent lived up to it but they are all bad either.

A 2-D Sonic could have been nice except they were losing thier touch when it came to Sonic at that time, and the focus was on 3D because ps and n64 were focusing on 3-D.

"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »
So does this make it "NiiGHTS"?

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2007, 08:35:26 PM »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2007, 08:39:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
New NiGHTs screenshots

Ehhe, still not too impressed with the game. Not to mention I tend to be very pessimistic when it comes to Sega games now!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2007, 04:55:13 AM »
Looks better than the other screens.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2007, 06:21:29 AM »
Wait, somebody clarify the Spielberg/Lynch reference, I'm confused.  Were you saying Spielberg has stayed consistent throughout his career and that Lynch achieved what he wanted then settled into mediocrity, or vice-versa?

Sorry to disrupt the Nights discussion, I was just confused by that post.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2007, 10:17:24 AM »
Hey... Where'd the jaggies go? If the Wii wants to be the next PS2 it needs jaggies!

Seriously though, those new screens are head and shoulders above everything else they've shown so far. It looks like a completely different game now, one with good graphics.

What I don't understand is why they're having trouble with the graphics at all. It's essentially an on-rails flying/adventure game. It should be able to easily keep paces with the best looking games on Wii if Sega's even half trying. Until these new screens came out the game was looking rather crap in that regard when it never should have in the first place.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2007, 10:29:09 AM »
Because they're Sega, a Sega lacking money hats.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.