Author Topic: new gamcube controller.  (Read 11076 times)

Offline Tokerev

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« on: February 26, 2003, 12:29:52 PM »
lets begin. i have to admit right now, gamecube has horrible first-person setup on thier controllers. Using the c-pad to aim is so frustrating. Its just no big enough. Original xbox controllers were good but they remade them almost exactly alike, but smaller. They are really good for fps games. PS2 has also good controllers for first-person shooters. If anyone agrees, post here. I think nintendo should remake thier controllers in the favor of fps gamers, who will buy fps games on gamecube, if i cn master them. all i ask is that the c-button, right now its just a lump, be enlarged almost like the joystick. The cpad base needs more moving space at least, it also needs to be controlled easier. anyone think this would work, or suvck. POST IT HERE !

Offline Taco

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 12:31:34 PM »
Yeah, no they are fine.

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 12:32:13 PM »
Yeah, for those 3 FPS games.  And I've had no problem using the dual analog setup for the 'cube.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 12:33:59 PM »
Personally, I think the standard GC controller is wonderful for FPS games. Left stick for movement, C-Stick for free look/turning, R trigger for shooting (As long as the developer doesn't have it so you have to click it down to shoot)

If anything, I have a great deal of frustration when using the standard Xbox controller. And no, I don't have small hands. But yeah, I snapped up the Controller S, now all is well in the land of Halo.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 12:42:52 PM »
Personally I love the Gamecube controller.  The only games it isn't that good for are PS2 ports but I hate the PS2 controller so I'm glad that Nintendo didn't just copy them (which would be kind of ironic considering the original PSX controller was a rip off of the SNES controller in the first place).  For games designed for the Gamecube it works perfectly.  With any game with crappy controls I blame the developer because it's their responsibility to design the controls around the controller instead of the other way around.  The D-pad is kind of crappy but developers shouldn't be making 3D games with d-pad controls anymore.  It's their own fault for not keeping with the times.

Anyway the FPS friendly controller you're suggesting is such a minor change that it doesn't seem worth it.  Odds are most people don't have any problems with the C-stick.  The most common complaints have to do with the small D-pad or PS2 owners who can't cope with a (*gasp*) ergonomic controller.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 03:41:29 PM »
Every Gamecube game I've played so far had a magnificent control scheme.  Halo was good but awkward, and I'd never get used to the Playstation shape buttons, but it's also a good controller.  Gamecube controller is my favorite, though.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline dafunkk12

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 04:13:16 PM »
Well, I don't agree, so I guess I shouldn't be posting....

Thanks to EB, I've been able to playtest the three consoles regularly, sometimes with the same game.  For this example, I'll use Nightfire because I spent plenty of time with all three versions.  Gamecube and Xbox controllers being pretty much the same layout were excellent and the logical way to arrange things for those who've grown up on the WASD + mouse setup of PC games.  PS2, is horrid.  The lateral movement stick (the left one) does not fall naturally where one's hands would be, and the two sticks' close proximity to each other caused some brain-confusion.  And having shoulder buttons instead of triggers (and two on each side on top of that) didn't feel at all natural.  Err...hmm...didn't work Nightfire into it...

While we're complaining about controllers, I'd like to bitch about having to play 2D fighters on the DualShock2.  I've been spending a lot of time with Guilty Gear XX and the damned 4-seperate-directional-buttons thing is a bitch when doing all those circle-based movements.  Sure, you can use the stick, but it doesn't also control movement, just move-input.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2003, 04:26:27 PM »
I've played TimeSplitters2 out the wazoo with the GCN controller and I love it.  I will say that I don't like the default setting which aims with the C-stick...I think that's absurd, so I set it up like Goldeneye.  The C-stick doesn't seem nearly so responsive as the primary analog.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2003, 04:44:05 PM »
I'd have to agree with that, the manual aim default on Nightfire is the same deal against Agent Under Fire, which uses the left stick.

But I'm not a fan of the PS2 controller, unlike the GC's the buttons are harder to differenciate (bringin' out the big words). I just have to think about it that nanosecond longer.  
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2003, 05:02:30 PM »
i think the only games that dont work well with the gc controller are games where u need to press more then 1 button at a time to preform a certain task, and games where u need to use the dpad. so basically fighting games and thats it. fps arent bad at all imo.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2003, 05:11:29 PM »
Uhh, they designed it with the idea of pressing more than 1 button at a time.  Namely the A button and one of its sattelite buttons.  Which works particularly well, given the nature of the thumb.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2003, 05:19:59 PM »
Personally I think that the GameCube controller is the perfect control device.  I just love it to death.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline alvinaloy

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2003, 05:26:05 PM »
I also feel that the Gamecube controller is the best. It fits ergonomically into my hands unlike the controllers for the other 2 consoles. I did play Halo and hated the controls especially for the Warthog.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2003, 05:35:04 PM »
"Uhh, they designed it with the idea of pressing more than 1 button at a time. Namely the A button and one of its sattelite buttons. Which works particularly well, given the nature of the thumb."

*looks at post..........turns and runs*
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2003, 06:38:12 PM »
I must also say that I think the Cube's controller is excellent, even for FPS games. Time Splitters 2 with the C-stick took a second to get used to, but then it was no problem.  I do aggree with Tokerev on one issue though; I think the C-stick could have benifited from a "cap" or thumb pad or whatnot, like the Control stick has.  It is not bad at all as it is, but with a pad like that my thumb woud grip it better.  As it is now my thumb occasionally slips off the smooth nub of the C-stick.  But I still think the Cube's controller is the best.  I rate the 3 consoles controlers in this order: First Gamecube, then Xbox, and lastly Playstation 2.  The PS2's stick are too unresponsive in my opinion.  They seem to be barely analog; not at all as sensitive as the Xbox and Cube controlers.  I like the Xbox's analog stick "click" function. It is a cool way to add an extra button, and it does a better job of it than the PS2's analog stick "click."  Being able to zoom and crouch by simply pressing the sticks down in Halo is an excellent control scheme; it leaves your fingers free to use other buttons.  I wish the Cube had the "stick click."
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline rojkai

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2003, 07:04:01 PM »
although i agree that the gamecube controller is by far the best out of the three, i think its a little hard for fps especially timesplitters..switching weapons is just a pain using the d pad..one genre where the gc controller sucks, IMO, is fighting games..trying playing capcom vs snk 2 EO on that thing..lol..only way to go in that game is cc-ism..

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2003, 07:11:42 PM »
I have played Bloody Roar and SSBM on GameCube.  Not being a fan of 2D fighters, I passed up Capcom vs SNK.  I haven't had any problems with the controls in either of those game.  In Bloody Roar I used the D-Pad exclusively.  Other than bruising my thumb quite badly as it was the first time I did so in years....  I had no complaints.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2003, 04:11:39 AM »
I just use the stick for Bloody Roar, it works just fine except a few specific moves I might have to repeat. Actually I've found it works better than the d-pad for beast drives IMO.

Edit: My dog chewed the rubber nub off the joystick so my thumb has developed a callouse, however it pinches anyone else who uses it.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline Nintendork SP

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2003, 04:33:30 AM »
The only FPS that bothered me was TS2, that sniper rifle was imposibble to be accurate with in sniper mode.  So I played bond.  
Going to war without France is like going fishing without an accordion.
-----------------------------------------------------
When I was I child I caught a fleeting glimpse.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2003, 04:43:39 AM »
yeah but that was because the sniper rifle in TS2 sucked
the targeting shouldnt always snap back in the center, i liked that better in halo where it just moved by motion on the stick
anyways
the GCN controller is great for FPS IMO and also great for anything else, lets see if SOul Calibur works on it
its the best controller, and feels the best, its really ergonomic which you cant say about the PS2 or Xbox pads
LZ 2005

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2003, 05:01:00 AM »
Yeah, the problem with the sniper rifle in TS2 wass not the controller, but the blasted snap to center function; it was applied to all weapons when you used the aim or zoom button. They should have included the option to turn it off.
rojkai is correct in my opinion, in that the Cube's controllers are not too good for Capcom fighters; but then again, Capcom games were designed around the 6 button, linearly arranged scheme of arcades, so it has problems transfering to any console controller.  The PS2 doesn't even have a great layout for Capcom 2d fighters; it is alright, but using the shoulder buttons and its ill-concieved d-pad can still be troublesome for certain combos.  Other fighting games, however, seem to translate to console controllers better; 3d fighters rely on different  kinds of combo systems and button configurations.    
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Nintendork SP

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2003, 05:06:39 AM »
You know capcom vs. SNK would have been way better if they had a setup for use of both the basic H. Punch L. Punch setup AND the use of the C stick but no it had to suck.
Going to war without France is like going fishing without an accordion.
-----------------------------------------------------
When I was I child I caught a fleeting glimpse.

new gamcube controller.
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2003, 07:28:59 AM »
I think the c-stick to aim is difficult, but many games let you switch the sticks around, which is just about perfect.  "Classic B" setup in TImesplitters 2 I think it is.

new gamcube controller.
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2003, 08:08:30 AM »
IMO the ocarina of time control scheme for the cube is awful.  Especially when you play the Ocarina with the C-stick.  The more I try to use it, the more I reach for the Z button to play a note instead, which makes me pissed that they positioned the button so poorly, on purpose.  If they didn't want you to use the button, they just shouldn't have included it in the design.  So, I get even more pissed because I don't want to use either one to play the notes.  They really should have placed the Z button on the front of the pad instead of on top or added another button on the front, and moved the the Z-button to a better spot on the back.
it was time for a change.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
new gamcube controller.
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2003, 08:58:31 AM »
Chen, that's it exactly.  The primary analog is much better than the C-stick, by my experience.  Configuring is a must as I said before.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV