Author Topic: Speculation and handicapping the NPA  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Speculation and handicapping the NPA
« on: March 11, 2006, 01:25:42 PM »
I don't know about you but I like to speculate! For instance, speculating on playoff match-ups or award shows. Because of that, I thought it might be fun to take a look at the Nintendo Power Awards and speculate on the outcomes. Other people could throw in their predictions as well. Then, at the end of the month, when the actual results are published in Nintendo Power, we can see how we did. So, with that let's take a look at the match-ups and how I see them panning out.

1. GCN Game of the Year

-Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
-Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
-Peter Jackson's King Kong
-Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
-Resident Evil 4
-Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

My prediction:
1. RE4
2. DKJB
3. FE:PoR
4. PJKK
5. PoP:TTT
6. THAW

Most likely RE 4 is going to be the one to walk away with most of the awards and this should be one of them. The real challenge is figuring out where the rest of the nominee's will fall. I have a feeling THAW will most likely be last, followed by PoP:TTT, which, although critically praised, doesn't seem to have had made a real splash with gamers. It's possible that may be liked enough to move up to fourth over King Kong, which was faulted for being too short. However, I believe both of these games sold less than my top three choices and that's what's going to limit them. The games that were played by the most people are going to be the ones that get the most votes. That's why I think DKJB will get second place. Although RPG's usually do well, FE just didn't sell as many copies as DKJB and won't receive as many votes.

DS Game of the Year

-Animal Crossing: Wild World
-Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
-Mario Kart DS
-Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
-Nintendogs
-Sonic Rush

My Predictions:
1. MKDS
2. AC:WW
3. C:DoS
4. M&L:PiT
5: Nintendogs
6. SR

This is one of the toughest catagories to predict because these are all good titles and most are big sellers. Mario Kart has been the biggest seller though and a DS game many people have been waiting for. Plus, it was the first MarioKart game to go online. These factors will probably make it the winner. Sonic Rush has sold the least I believe and so may get the least amount of votes. However, with strong support from Sonic fans it might end up higher. Nintendogs has sold the most but I believe the luster has fadded somewhat and many won't consider it a game like the others listed. Mario & Luigi is another great game but again, I feel it has less exposure. Also, it has been mentioned that the game is a bit on the short side with not much besides the main quest and the fact that it could have explored it's time elements more. Castlevania is another game that has done well. Even Ian Sane has a copy. But I think Wi-Fi connection is going to count for more and so more votes will be given to MK. AC is much different from Castlevania and attracts a different crowd as wll. The votes of that different crowd will help propel it to number two but less sales will affect it. Still, there could be an upset in this catagory.

GBA Game of the Year

-Final Fantasy IV Advance
-Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
-Gunstar Super Hereos
-The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
-Pokemon Emerald
-WarioWare: Twisted

My Predictions
-LoZ:TMC
-PE
-W:T
-FE:TSS
-FF IV
-GSH

Another tough catagory. Zelda vs. Pokemon. Even though Emerald sold more than Zelda, I have a feeling Zelda will still win, though it will be based more on name recognition. Gunstar will probably end up last, though that's due to sales again and thus less people playing it. Same with Final Fantasy, though name recognition may help again. Fire Emblem has it's fans and as I've said before RPGS do well, but I think Warioware will get more votes due to the fact that with all these RPGs, the votes will be split among them. Non RPG players may vote for Wario. Plus, it's a really fun game. Still, this should be a Zelda versus Pokemon contest.

That's it for now. I need a break. But if you're interested, I could post some more of the catagories later.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
RE: Speculation and handicapping the NPA
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 12:48:15 PM »
Well as for the GCN goty I'd be surprised as all hell if RE4 didn't get it. I mean I don't see how any game is even a close second.

As for DS goty (heh heh goatee) that's a much more TOUCHY situation, I mean I just don't know if I can Decided Soon enough to vote. I mean after all, isn't there a little UTER in all of us? No wait...Uhm I pick AC: Wild World. Because it owns the pants off of your ass.

As for the GBA game of the year, I've got no idea. I haven't played my GBA in forever.  

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
RE:Speculation and handicapping the NPA
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 12:57:02 PM »

Originally posted by: Rancid Planet
Well as for the GCN goty I'd be surprised as all hell if RE4 didn't get it. I mean I don't see how any game is even a close second.
Well Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat is a distant first, but I guess that's just my opinion.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 01:00:35 PM »
Man that's a pretty sorry list for the Cube.  When King Kong is in consideration you know you had a weak year.

RE4 is the obvious choice just due to it's significance.  It's the only Cube title of the year to attract any real attention outside of Nintendo's core fanbase.  It's probably the only title of the group that people will still be talking about a year from now.

Any of those DS nominees could win and it wouldn't seem out of place.  I figure Animal Crossing and Mario & Luigi won't win since they don't quite have the same popularity of the other titles.  Sonic Rush probably won't win either.

For the GBA my choice is Zelda.  None of those other games even come close.  I would be very disappointed in seeing Pokemon or Final Fantasy win since they're ports/remakes.  I personally would automatically disqualify such titles since in reality they're games from a different year unless the remake is really significant like with Metroid: Zero Mission.  Personally I would never vote for multiplatform titles either unless it was the best version of the game.  It's kind of lame for example to consider Tony Hawk the best Cube game of the year when in reality it's more or less a PS2 game and doesn't really represent what the Cube has to offer.

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 01:01:36 PM »
I'm sure others feel the same way as you Dasmos. I just don't see there being any real competion for RE4 once all the votes are counted.

Maybe if DK: JB had a scantily clad girl with huge hoo hoos it would have had a chance.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 01:28:38 PM »
You're right, if only Candy Kong had made an appearance.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 01:30:24 PM »
Indeed Dasmos I haven't wanted a woman that needed electrolocis that bad since high school.

Wow, I overshare a lot.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 08:32:10 PM »
Man that's a pretty sorry list for the Cube. When King Kong is in consideration you know you had a weak year.

Remember, there were multiplatform awards that gave an award to King Kong.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 08:04:05 PM »
Hey, just when I gave up on this, we got some players. Quick replies. I agree that DK: JB should be the one to get first but I'm basing my predications on promotion and sales and RE4 was the one that got both. Also, the Candy Kong comments -classic! And quickly to Ian. I agree that the nominated DS games are all great and as I said before, this catagory could go many ways. But I do think AC: WW has a lot more popularity. As for the GBA, last year, Metroid: Zero Mission beat Pokemon LeafGreen and FireRed but according to the comments, Metroid just barely eked out the win. Still, if Metroid beat Pokemon, Zelda should be able to, I think.

Back to the competition, it's time for the technical awards.

Best Graphics - GCN
-Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
-Killer 7
-Resident Evil 4
-Spartan: Total Warrior

My predictions
1. RE4
2. DK: JB
3. PJKK
4. PoP: TTT
5. S: TW
6. K7

Pretty much the same as Game of the Year. RE 4 has all the hype on graphics and should take this award. Killer 7 and Spartan:TW both had low sales and the votes should reflect that. Plus, when people think graphics, they think realism and cel-shading will not garner many votes. Again, it's harder to place second but, even though I just mentioned people voting for realism, I think DK will be second because people vote for Nintendo charcters regardless. Finally, I think King Kong will have the edge over Pop:TTT because KK graphics were probably the biggest thing hyped about the game.

Best Graphics - Handheld (GBA/DS)
-Gunstar Super Heroes
-Mario Kart DS
-Tony Hawk's American Sk8land (DS)

My predictions
1. MKDS
2. M&L: PiT
3. LoZ: TMC
4. C: DS
5. THAW
6. GSH

2-D versus 3-D. Personally, I would like to see a 2-D game come out on top but something tells me it will be Mario Kart on top. This is another tough catagory to call but I think it will come down to sales again and people who have actually seen the games in action. Therefore, Gunstar lowest, followed by THAW. Despite THAW's 3-D, I believe franchises will be key, namely Nintendo franchises, with Castlevania placing fourth. Although some may be surprised, I think M&L will just squeeze past Zelda for second place. I think people will appreciate the style of M&L more and because the DS can pull off better graphics than the GBA. I think it's another close race for second.

Best Music - All Systems
-Call of Duty 2: Big Red One
-Meteos
-Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

My Predictions
1. C: DS
2. THAW
3. Meteos
4. FF IV A
5. CoD: BRO
6. PoP: TTT

Wow. This is a really strange group of nominees. Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix wasn't nominated? I only know the music of one of these nominees so I'm just guessing with this one. However, I think in the end, Castlevania will be able to walk away with an award! Really, I think this one is designed to make sure Castlevania gets something. After that I went with THAW because people seem to like liscensed music for some reason. Meteos is the biggest surprise to me and the only one I'm familiar with. I know sales weren't that high but its music was always promoted so people may just throw some votes that way because of that. Final Fantasy could place third because of name recognition but I don't think it was heard by too many people. No comments on my last two choices except I think more people will have played CoD than PoP or maybe I'm thinking of Medal of Honor.

And the last Technical Award:

Best Sound/Voice Acting - All systems
-From Russia With Love
-Gun
-Killer 7
-Medal of Honor: European Assault
-Resident Evil 4

My Predictions
1. RE4
2. PJKK
3. FRWL
4. MoH: EA
5. Gun
6. K7

Who could it be? RE4? Pretty much. Again, another award to RE4. After that, I'm going to say King Kong because it seems to do well with technical awards (oscars). Then, I'd have to say FRWL because Sean Connery was a big draw for that game. Next is Medal of Honor because it did have good sales so that might help. Then Gun which a few people liked. Finally, Killer 7. That may surprise some people because the sounds in Killer 7 were something people talked about but, again, I think low exposure will hurt its chances. Although, in all truth, I think only my first two are pretty much a sure thing and the last four could easily be switched around.

That brings me to the end of the latest round. I know these awards may not be the most interesting but stick around and in 3 or 4 days, I'll post my thoughts on the next set of awards - the Genres. You know, strategy, sports, adventure, etc. As always, your thoughts are always encouraged and warmly welcome (usually).

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 09:52:37 PM »
Honestly, hype or no hype. Does anyone disagree that RE4 should win best graphics?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 07:19:34 PM »
Yeah, you're probably right. Since I haven't seen all the nominees, I just treat them as if I haven't seen any of them and that they're all equal.

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 08:10:41 PM »
Well of course that's the fair minded thing to do. I'm just saying, does anyone even consider any other Nintendo game in the hunt for best graphics?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 02:45:45 PM »
Ok. I should finish posting the list. I think some people have already recieved the new issue of Nintendo Power with the results so I'd better hurry. If you do have the new issue, please don't tell me who won yet.

The Genre nominations.

Best RPG/Strategy Game - All Systems
-Advance Wars: Dual Strike
-Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
-Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
-Pokemon Emerald

My Predictions
1. FE: PoR
2. M&L: PiT
3. PE
4. AW: DS
5. FE: TSS
6. FFIV

Starting off with a tough catagory. FE: PoR will most likely win because it's the best looking and usually that is what RPG fans like as well as it has a good story. (I'm assuming.) I'm going to guess (and I'll admit that for this catagory its all guesses) that M&L: PiT will be second because people like the Mario RPGs and their humor. Pokemon is always big, even when its a remake so I'll say it places third though it could be higher. Its hard to tell with Pokemon. Next, will probably be Advance Wars: Dual Strike the only non-RPG game. Then FE: TSS because FE: PoR will probably take most of votes. Then last FFIV. This catagory was just full of good titles and all but one are Nintendo franchises as well. It's going to be tight.

Best Adventure Game - All Systems
-Killer 7
-Resident Evil 4

My Predictions
1. RE4
2. LoZ: TMC
3. C: DS
4. PoP: TTT
5. K7
6. PJKK

Well, this is a bit easier. Resident Evil wins another nom. Zelda should have its die hard fans that will give it enough votes for second but enough for first. Of the remaining competition, it should be Castlevania. Then I'm going to say Prince of Persia followed by Killer 7. Yes, for once I don't think K7 will be dead last. That will go to King Kong.

Best Platformer - All Systems
-DK: King of Swing
-Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
-Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament
-Shadow the Hedgehog
-Sonic Gems Collection
-Sonic Rush

My Predictions
1. DKJB
2. SR
3. DK: KoS
4. SGC
5. StH
6. K2: DCT

Congratulations DK! You finally get a win for you awesomeness with bongos. Yes, DKJB should win flat out. Don't feel left out Sonic. Your DS outing will also get you some recognition which Nintendo Power seems to want since 3 Sonic games were nominated. Now it gets a bit tricky as its DK versus Sonic. And I think DK: KoS is going to get 3rd. Yes, Sonic Gems has arguably the best Sonic game on it (Sonic CD) but it is a re-release and not all the games in the rest of the package are stellar. DK is a new game that tries a new idea. Plus the Sega/Sonic fans will be split over 3 choices while the Nintendo/DK fans only have 2. If Gems does get 3rd, it's only because of Sonic CD and Vectorman. Of course, I'm assuming that the Sega fans are able to realize good game play and won't vote for Shadow in a huge number because its a 3d Sonic(?) game. Last year Sonic Heroes made third. And we know Shadow sold the most on Gamecube then the other consoles. Finally Klonoa will place last because I have no idea what it is, I've never seen it before and I'd never heard of it till I read its nomination. Why Donkey Kong Country 3 wasn't nominated is a big mystery. It would have made 3rd for sure and DK might have been able to pull off getting all 3 top spots.

Best Shooter/Action game - All Systems
-Battalion Wars
-Gunstar Super Heroes
-The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
-Mega Man Zero 4
-Spartan: Total Warrior
-Star Fox Assult

My Predictions
1. BW
2. SFA
3. GSH
4. MMZ4
5. S: TW
6. TIH: UD

Strange Choices. I think Nintendo is trying to give some recognition to some titles it was hoping would be big sellers. Battalion Wars. I'm not sure it will get first but I think it deserves it out of the games nominated. I had the best experience playing it than some of the other titles and its biggest negative was just not having multiplayer. Hopefully, people will vote for it to increase chances of a sequel. If BW doesn't win, it will go to StarFox. Its not the best StarFox game but I believe it sold the most of those nominated and StarFox has a fan base. Maybe Gunstar Super Heroes will get third. Its hard to tell how popular Mega Man is. Same situation with BW. If GSH doesn't get 3rd, its because of MM's fans. Finally, I'm going to say Spartan does better than Hulk.

And our final nom for this batch is:

Best Sports/Racing Game - All Systems
-Fight Night Round 2
-Madden NFL 06
-Mario Kart DS
-MVP Baseball 2005
-Mario Superstar Baseball
-Super Mario Strikers

My Predictions
1. MK: DS
2. SMS
3. M NFL 06
4. MSB
5. FNR2
6. MVP B 2005

Easy win for Mario Kart. And Strikers should get second as it seemed to be Nintendo's big title for the winter and its multiplayer was hyped up alot. People Madden for some reason so it will probably make third. Mario Baseball should make 4th and might possibly make third but I'm not sure Mario sports fans will be able to divide enough votes 3 ways. Since baseball makes fourth, I'll guess Fight Night beats out MVP for fifth since its a different sport.

Well that's it for genres. There's just some gameplay nominations and the big Game of the Year nom left. I'll try to post the rest by tonight or tomorrow and the real results should be here soon.