Author Topic: Tecmo's first game revealed (online anime-style golf)  (Read 23132 times)

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Tecmo's first game revealed (online anime-style golf)
« on: February 14, 2006, 11:47:42 PM »
Japanese press release.

http://www.tecmo.co.jp/company/sc0401.htm

???, popularity online game ' ??? and golf kapok ' announcing the game conversion for home
The Nintendo Co. new model machine "revolution (tentative name)" to entry first feature

It's supposedly an existing PC game series called "Pangya" made by a Korean developer. You can see some screenshots of the PC version here:
http://www.pangya.jp/fan_screenshot.aspx  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE: Tecmo's first game revealed (online anime-style golf)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 11:54:34 PM »
Like water to a man stuck in the desert.

This looks awesome. And with motion control? Oh my, yes.

edit: whoa, tecmo hasn't released a single game for gamecube, have they? This is bigger news than I thought.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 01:55:35 AM »
Probably the most obvious idea for a game you can make on the Rev with little effort... Never mind that there's already a GameTrak Golf game that would probably play the same as a game on the Rev.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 02:33:12 AM »
Seriously, what's going on?  Why are we getting so much news today?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Tecmo's first game revealed (online anime-style golf)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 04:05:29 AM »
One-handed "Revmote" and sexy DoA chicks = recipe for easy jokes about lonely gamers.

I almost made that joke before and shouldn't bring it up again, should I?

Now where's Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for the GBA/DS?  Or a new Ninja Gaiden game where Ryu Hayabusa isn't wearing so much armor that somehow looks more like jewellery to me?

I don't understand the popularity of golf games, but then again, I'm out of touch with a lot of sports.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 04:14:40 AM »
Sweert!
Tecmo is now on board for the Revolution!

Come on Team Ninja make my dream come true release Dead or Alive 4 on the Revolution with Samus replaceing Nicole (Spartan-458 (Halo Character))

*edit* why the hell do I keep adding a 'h' in Tecmo?
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 04:41:13 AM »
Tycho will be happy.  Actually I heard that the online game that is based on is really quiet good even for non-golf gamers.  Also wasn't there a Revolution blog that mentioned that a ban was lifted one the 14th actually so, that could be why we have a lot of news coming.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 04:57:54 AM »
Oh man, those characters are pretty cute!

Too bad I don't like golf games!  But it's a popular series in the East, so it's nice to have the title there...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 05:32:32 AM »
I love good cartoony/arcadey golf games.  Mario Golf for the Gamecube and Nintendo 64 are very awesome games.  If this one is good I will have to pick it up...and this makes me really excited for Mario Golf...or how about Mario Pool.  :^)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 07:51:15 AM »
Nothing I would go out of my way to buy though those girls are pretty cute.

It's significant that Tecmo is releasing a Rev game.  Any publisher that didn't support the Cube coming aboard is a big deal.  Plus they seem to have been attracted by the controller which was Nintendo's whole plan!  I doubted that plan because I felt that publishers are going to be more attracted to userbase over anything else.  Devs would show interest but unless they convinced their publishers it would be for nought.  So this is encouraging.  Let's hope it's not an isolated incident.

And Nintendo if this game turns out to be really good could you maybe resist making another Mario Golf?  Is there REALLY a need for two cutesy golf games?  At least get Camelot to make something different first.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 08:00:18 AM »
Camelot is working on a Revolution RPG, so they'll be busy for quite a while...

Edit: Aw, crap...I was wandering around the site, and I managed to take a peek into the costumes that you can get for  the characters...

(PangYa Golf more like LOLI GOLF!)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 08:47:49 AM »
Well if this game and Mario Golf both play different, and have a completely original feel to them, then I don't mind Nintendo releasing Mario Golf with this.  Remember Mario Golf has been moving much more into the realm of abstract golf, with great success.  

I want more of the Mario universe courses in the Revolution Mario Golf, and less of the realistic Golf.  Imagine a Mario Golf from the ground being designed to introduce new Mario elements each course.  The First course could be pure golf, and the next one adds speed boosts and warp pipes.  Later courses could add elements like mud, ice, mushroom powerups, and more.  Finally later levels actually include enemies that you must avoid, or kill.  Hitting them in the air could land you interesting bonuses as well.  

This is the type of Mario Golf I want to see on Revolution...and could easily be marketed along side this game.  I must say, I do love the cute girls, and being able to dress them.  Cell-Shading is definately much more visually interesting than this realistic 3D.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 09:05:14 AM »
Cell-Shading is definately much more visually interesting than this realistic 3D.

I disagree on that matter.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 09:10:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Camelot is working on a Revolution RPG, so they'll be busy for quite a while...

Edit: Aw, crap...I was wandering around the site, and I managed to take a peek into the costumes that you can get for  the characters...

(PangYa Golf more like LOLI GOLF!)

She looks like she is wearing a FireFox outfit. So Cute!
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 09:13:04 AM »
I made that crack about DoA chicks before I saw these anime cuties.  Neat!  Cute!

But I can't help but think that DoA: Extreme Golf might be fun too.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 09:57:21 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Cell-Shading is definately much more visually interesting than this realistic 3D.

I disagree on that matter.

Well...Realistic in the same manner that Super Mario Sunshine is realistic...I like the look of the game, and the only real improvement that I would personally care about is the flat grass...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 11:18:42 AM »
Where is this cel-shading stuff coming from?  Those screens clearly aren't cel-shaded.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 11:37:37 AM »
I believe Spang was saying that the game would look better in cell-shading...

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 11:39:14 AM »
IGN

The PC version of the game is free to download and install and play, and even free to play online, but they make their money by selling you things like new costume downloads. They're probably going to keep the costume-selling system for the Rev version. I doubt the game would be a free download though.

Personally, I think the PS2 could push more polys than this game does. And the rich textures and details come from it being a PC game, so I don't know how much of that would translate into a console port, especially since we don't even really know what the Rev can handle. But they style looks nice enough.
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 11:41:35 AM »
They better not keep the costume-selling bit...That's the biggest turnoff EVER for a console gamer ever...Since we'll be paying for the game they better be including everything when they ship it; none of this micropayment bullcrap...

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 12:04:24 PM »
Wow I just went and looked up the last Nintendo Home Console Tecmo developed for, and they haven't made any games for a Nintendo Home Console since the SNES.

This is really starting to look good for Nintendo, If a developer that hasn't created anything for you for 2 generations yet created stuff for everyone else desided to get back on board for the Revolution it really can only been seen as a good thing.
Crow ~ MST3K

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 12:08:50 PM »
Actually I will clearly admit, at the time I was entering the post I thought it was cell-shaded.  I guess the characters were too cute to me, and I got distracted.

Thanks for standing up for me Bill, but I think ever forum is better when people will admit their errors.  

I do believe that Cell-Shading when done well is usually a much better technique than ultra-realistic approach to 3D.  Hell, even when designers approach 3D models with a more fun cartoon style do you see really great and fun visuals.

And that said.  I do wish this game was Cell Shaded in character design, but with non cell shaded, but still cartoony world.  

The ball should also be Cell-Shaded and time should be spent to create blur effects, and action lines that try to capture a more manga/anime feel to spice up the in game action.  

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 12:10:03 PM »
"They better not keep the costume-selling bit...That's the biggest turnoff EVER for a console gamer ever...Since we'll be paying for the game they better be including everything when they ship it; none of this micropayment bullcrap..."

I agree.  Paying for costumes makes sense when the game is free but not if you have to buy the game.  I consider that sort of thing an "either or" situation.

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2006, 12:14:53 PM »

They better not keep the costume-selling bit...That's the biggest turnoff EVER for a console gamer ever...Since we'll be paying for the game they better be including everything when they ship it; none of this micropayment bullcrap...

Well, the cute Fox costume pic you showed is in their "Illust Contest" section. I think someone won an I-Pod for designing that one for them. Technically, I think it didn't exist before they shipped the game. There is something appealing about a game that keeps getting improved. By it's fans even.

But yeah, I do prefer to be able to pay one reasonable amount and get the entire experience. Unfortunately, I think the "online" movement wants to make that a thing of the past.

This is really starting to look good for Nintendo, If a developer that hasn't created anything for you for 2 generations yet created stuff for everyone else desided to get back on board for the Revolution it really can only been seen as a good thing.

Just to mention, Tecmo isn't making the game. A Korean company called "Ntreev Soft" made the original game, and Tecmo is hiring them to make a Rev version. Still more than Tecmo did for the N64 and Cube put together.  
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 12:31:03 PM »
Publishing for the Rev is just a step away from developing from the Rev. (Granted that step may never be taken.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.