Author Topic: The Official Chibi Robo Thread  (Read 7789 times)

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
The Official Chibi Robo Thread
« on: February 04, 2006, 05:29:24 AM »
Yep...I've already searched and there isn't another topic...and I know that this is one of the most highly anticipated titles of all time...so I figured that I would start a thread.

Anyone who took that first statement seriously needs a drink.

Seriously though people, every video that I've seen of this game ever since its Japanese form has made me seriously consider buying this game.  I don't know what the draw is, but I think that developer Skip is bringing us this season's Battalion Wars...a sleeper hit that will flow under the radar.  

Who's with me?
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Cap

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The Official Chibi Robo Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 07:00:51 AM »
i didnt know a thing about this game, but after reading the review at ign and it sounds like it's pretty good. i might have to give it a try.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: The Official Chibi Robo Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 08:31:48 AM »
I definitely interested in it, and I will definitely get it if I can afford it by the time it comes out.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline cubist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 09:54:22 AM »
Ahem...it comes out on Tuesday I think.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 11:05:47 AM »
That early?  I thought someone said something like the 27th.  May have been another game.
Either way, Tuesday won't be the only day it's available.  I can pick it up later sometime
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 05:02:47 AM »
I've watched a few videos of this game on IGN, and I like how the character's footsteps make instrumental noises.  He wanders around on floors and it sounds like string instruments being plucked, then he gets on a carpet and suddenly it's like accordian notes.  Weird.  I definitely want to buy this one, but DDR: Mario Mix is higher on my list, and there must be 10 other games that are about even on the list, or a little behind, but would cost a lot less.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 06:30:40 AM »
IGN IGN blah blah blah, why don't you check my import review?  ;-p
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 08:08:17 AM »
BLOODWORTH BLOODWORTH blah blah blah, why don't you link to you import review? ;-p
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 08:07:36 AM »
I have Chibi-Robo, but I haven't played it yet.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 06:27:56 PM »
Well, hurry up and play the game. I want to know what you think of it. I have to say that Chibi-Robo is one of the games I'm really interested in for the Cube this year. Although the biggest game I'm waiting for this year is the Kirby GC game. I know for a lot of people the biggest game is Twilight Princess. But for me, it's the new Kirby game. I just love Kirby games so much. The screenshots I've seen for it look like it could be the best one since Kirby Super Star (which to me was one of the top 5 SNES games.)

But getting back to Chibi-Robo, from the reviews and the articles I've read, Chibi-Robo sounds a bit like Super Metroid. What I mean by that is you have to upgrade to enter new worlds (rooms) and in those rooms you have to explore all over to find secrets and new upgrades which are used to open up new secrets. So, I was wondering if that's really what the game is like, because if it is, then I would definitely get it. Right now, I'd want to rent it to see what it's like before purchasing. But if it is similar to Metroid, then I'll probably just buy it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 07:57:54 PM »
I bought the game and played for a little while.

It's fun and cute. I have no idea if it'll last right now, but I'm liking it very much.

I'm not sure if I'd compare it to Super Metroid... that depends on how many upgrades there are. The exploring rooms aspect is definitely there though. I couldn't tell you if you need to upgrade to get to other rooms though because so far I've been running around the first room and having fun.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline attackslug

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 03:23:08 AM »
Got it yesterday, and thus far, I love it.  It reminds me of animal crossing, albeit with a bit of an ultimate goal/plot to work towards.  The game has a truly weird and surreal vibe to it, and has the typical tongue-in-cheek Nintendo humor found in AC.  As much as I'm loving it right now, I don't see much in the way of replay value so far, and this may be the one GC title that I wil consider trading in to go towards another game.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 08:32:28 AM »

But getting back to Chibi-Robo, from the reviews and the articles I've read, Chibi-Robo sounds a bit like Super Metroid.
That's got to be the oddest comparison I've ever read.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 08:41:30 PM »
I got this one today and gave it 3 hours+.  The early verdict? ............

Awesome!!!  Suprisingly charming and well done.  If the first hours are any indication I'd rate it much higher than PGC did.  

The gameworld and experience is very seamless.  In that way I would compare it to Metroid Prime or maybe Animal Crossing DS.  

The way you save the game seems natural and not jarring.  The load times are very short and often almost non-existent.  Your 'helper' in the game is part of the gameworld.  The way you save the game is attached to a gameplay  mechanic in the game.  Even the manual is laying on the floor in the game world where you can discover it and read it.  Scoring points is just seamlessly integrated into the game world also.   It's all very cohesive.

The look of the game is awesome.  Not drop your jaw on the floor or anything, but it's very pleasing and just a nice slightly quirky fun look to it.  The sounds are fun too.  The controls are nice.  NOthing to complain about there at all.  Not  Nintendo AAA quality, but not very much below that at all.  The game is cute.  But in a different way than other Nintendo titles and really it's not cute at every turn at all.  Toy Story comes to mind.  

The Minor knock on the game would be that you can't skip any little conversations.  IT's not terrible as so far most of the conversations are pretty short and after awhile you accept this and it's just a minor deduction.  Other than that I can't really knock the game.   Altho you might find yourself wondering about a concept or two in the beginning or how to do this or that.  There's a timer in the game.  Sort of like Pikmin, but alot less demanding and with days and nights instead of just days.  This time limit  is also adjustable within the gameworld.  Another example of the seamlessness here.  

The day and night really only seem to sort of 'reset' the pieces in the game.  A new day or night will bring new messes or old ones might be cleaned up or the family might be sleeping etc.  Other than that I don't think there's a particular hurry to get things done at least not at the medium day and night length.  

Well I could go on.  But I definitely recommend it.  AT first play I'm not sure if it's a game you'll play again or not.  I guess would compare it to the first pikmin.  It can play a bit like Pikmin too.  Except with this game there's a bit more randomness I think and you can later shorten the time limit for a more challenging experience later on.  Or lengthen it for a more easy going exploration experience.  

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 06:41:42 PM »

But getting back to Chibi-Robo, from the reviews and the articles I've read, Chibi-Robo sounds a bit like Super Metroid.

That's got to be the oddest comparison I've ever read.

Odd comparison nothing. The review of Chibi-Robo by Planetgamecube found here (Review) states (and I qoute): Exploring is one of the thrills of Chibi-Robo – each room is slowly unlocked, Metroid style, by gaining new abilities.

Yes, everyone agrees that Chibi-Robo is the next Metroid.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 06:08:58 AM »
Let's not go quite that far. The unfortunate downside to this comparison is that it only lasts for the first half of the game. Once every room is unlocked, the Metroid similarities diminish and the Animal Crossing/Life-Sim gameplay fills out. I suppose I should've included that in the review somewhere, but really, "Metroid-style" means just that - a bit like Metroid. It is by no means a happy fun new Metroid. =)

-Evan T. Burchfield  
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Mr Bloober

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 10:41:07 AM »
I've finished the game, and must say, I greatly enjoyed it. The different characters and how they interacted were what stood out for me. And of course the gameplay is brilliant. I still clean up foot prints even though it only gives you 2 Happy Points.  

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 12:37:42 PM »
I'm alot farther now.  Maybe 10-12 hours into it.  I still give it a big thumbs up.

It's alot like Pikmin (as I said earlier) because of the scale and sense of exploration and some of the puzzles.  Also has a bit of the isolation and exploration of  a Metroid as well as the backtracking and certain new areas can't be accessed right away and parts of areas you're in can't be accessed as well (until you get a specific item.)  It also has the non-player characters (and quests) of a Zelda.  And some minor platforming stuff that you could say is from a Mario game.  Climbing and collecting of stuff tho it's pretty basic.

The game is also alot like the movie Toy Story in concept.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 07:40:04 PM »
Yeah, I realize this isn't like a metroid game. I was just posting that as a joke to show that such a comparison is not that far off as Vudu thinks. But it's probably best that you corrected me anyways so people aren't misled.

Anyways, the more I hear about this game the more I want it. I keep checking Blockbuster to see if I could rent it but they don't seem to be getting any copies in to rent. I'll probably have to buy it. But that's ok. If lot's of people buy it, maybe we'll see Giftpia come over.

Offline Zieborn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 06:59:15 AM »
I've put 6 hours into it so far, and it's funny that everyone is comparing it to Animal Crossing and Pikmin, considering that I just picked up all three games in a two week span.  My fiancee's instant addiction to Animal Crossing (and, to be fair, my own)  have kind of limited the amount of time Chibi can be in the GameCube.  Still, this game is some real fun.  I'm playing through slow and doing a lot of chores and stuff, and not even worrying about most of the quests yet.  Of course, that is making it kind of like RPG grinding, as my battery level, items, and utilibots are all going to be maxed out by the time I tackle most of the quests.  I'm hoping for Revoltion and DS sequels.
Biden wins!

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 05:16:17 AM »
So I been wanting this game for a long time, since it ahs similarities to agame me and my friends dreamed up that we never got to make. Is it any good?  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 02:25:58 PM »
I really dig the game, but there ARE some things that could have been tweaked or added to make it better. Here's some of my impressions after a week and a half with the game.

The Great:
* Engaging, unique, open-ended and ADDICTIVE gameplay featuring emphases on exploration, unlocking new areas and being happily surprised at the wild discoveries you'll make.
* A wacky storyline and surprisingly well-developed, memorable/lovable characters that drive the plot forward however fast you want.
* Just doing random tasks never got old to me (scrubbing the floor, etc.), even after I had no need for Happy Points.
* Lots of sidequests lengthen the game and add to the charm - to be technical, there's just a cubic buttload of stuff to do.
* Chibi's just so darn cute.

The Iffy:
* Loses some balance towards the end regarding the money system and figuring out what to do next to proceed (an often-unhelpful help system).
* Could've used another room. This would have lengthened the "uncharted territory" part of the game, which is arguably the most rewarding. By about 1/4 of the way through, you'll have seen every room there is to see. Just think of all the missed opportunities at not including a bathroom!
* It's been said before in multiple reviews, but it's silly that there's no way to speed up the flow of text.

The Ugly:
* While the graphics ooze unique style and art direction and there is often a lot going on, character and environment poly counts are generally low (Chibi looks great, however), and are sometimes reminiscent of N64 graphics. Some chugging in busy areas (Jenny's room).
* Babble-speech is surprisingly low-quality considering you'll hear it often, which is in sharp contrast to the in-game music (which is generally fun, catchy and of good quality).

So, with that out of the way, keep in mind that I found the good qualities to far outweigh the bad. And the main gripe in reviews that I've seen, the system of being called back to homebase at the end of each half-day, didn't bother me at all. Chibi-Robo can be almost solely blamed for my sleep deprivation this past week, as it has what may be considered the "Magician's Scarf Addiction Factor" (each new bit of the game you solve leads you to something else, and onto another beyond that, etc., turning an "I'll only play for one day" jaunt into a two-plus-hour expedition).

Verdict:
Highly enjoyable despite any faults that happen to come along for the ride.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Zieborn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 03:20:57 PM »
I'll agree with that review.  I also had no problem at all with the end of day thing.  It's kind of a silly thing to pick on, considering it's part of the "challange" of the game.  If you only have 4 minutes left and you just found the way into the basement rafters, part of the fun of it is locating a route to the items before time runs out.  Saying that hurts the game is like saying having an energy level hurts your ability to win Street Fighter 2.  
Biden wins!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 06:16:36 PM »
I think the people that complain about the time limits in Chibi-Robo are people that don't like challenges, those same people are probably the same ones that complained about the 30-day-limit (correct me if I'm wrong) in Pikmin, then Nintendo changed that limit in Pikmin 2 and to me the game turned less enjoyable to play. That is why a game is a game, it serves the purpose to create a challenge towards the player. Anyway, the only things I see wrong with Chibi-Robo is the speech and the slow-text, the rest is pretty much ok.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2006, 08:37:44 AM »
So...am I the only person who thinks Mrs. Sanderson is hot, or what? =P

::EDIT::

On an unrelated note, does anyone happen to know where I can get my hands on one of these?

I've checked a couple of the major importing sites, and none of them had it...and ebay isn't producing either.  

Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.