Author Topic: Revolution launches in November  (Read 7783 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Revolution launches in November
« on: January 18, 2006, 07:47:09 AM »
Iwata says they hope to launch Revolution before Thanksgiving. Ign has an article.

Here's the Link

There's goes the theory of launching in the Summer to start countering the Xbox360.  
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution launches in November
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 07:53:15 AM »
WOOT~

NOVEMBER FTW.
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 07:54:10 AM »
I like how "before Thanksgiving" is incredibly vague and only sets November as the very latest it will be released...But yeah, November has been the most likely date for a long time now...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline TMW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 07:56:38 AM »
Yeah, but its nice to hear even a little confirmation of that.

Before, all we had was 2006.  Now we at least have a semi official time frame.
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 08:01:39 AM »
Is the PS3 still technically scheduled to launch this Spring or has it been pushed back yet?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TMW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 08:08:45 AM »
Last I heard, they were talking about pushing it back to 2007.  

Of course, Kutaragi is insane, so who knows what hes really gonna do.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution launches in November
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 08:09:37 AM »
Sony will hold onto that spring release until the last minute, it one of their methods of getting people to hold off fo the Xbox 360 until they can really show off the PS3 and start the HYPE train.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 08:17:30 AM »
November, eh?  I hope for Nintendo's sake that Twilight Princess is REALLY good because it has got to last us a while.  Its job is to keep Nintendo relevent in console gaming for most of 2006.  Before the Cube launch Nintendo was just gone for a few months and the black out period really hurt them.  At the very least the gaming media still has to be covering Nintendo related news.  A really good E3 will help keep them in the magazines and on site front pages as well.  The Cube's first E3 didn't quite have that momentum because the really hyped titles (Mario, Zelda and Metroid) weren't due for a while and Luigi's Mansion didn't exactly build tons of hype.  If Nintendo has a big launch game cooking then Twilight Princess plus hype for the new game could maintain interest until November.

I hope that since Iwata is talking about it that NCL is planning for a launch around this time.  With the DS it was so obvious that NCL had their own launch plans and didn't think at all about North America.  Then NOA said "hey ideally we need to launch by Thanksgiving" and they did but because NCL wasn't planning on that the North American DS launch was dismal.  Nintendo's developers in Japan were clearly working on NCL's deadline so nothing really significant was ready for the earlier American launch.  The Rev can't afford to have a rushed launch like that.  The big guns have to be ready for the American launch.  That must be the deadline given to all Japanese developers.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 08:19:58 AM »
I live in Canada.  Canadian Thanksgiving is in October (when you Americans have Columbus Day, I believe).

But I'm sure he meant American Thanksgiving.  :/

Well, we probably all expected it to be no later than Thanksgiving - to make it a big thing for this Christmas season, it really is kind of a given.  Not a surprise, at all, really.

Now I'm wondering where those Summer 2006 estimates came from, or if that was just wishful thinking.  Maybe it had to do with the fact that Nintendo said they wouldn't launch too much later than the PS3, when that was supposed to have a Spring 2006 launch.  If the PS3 really is delayed to 2007, then this Christmas will be really good for Nintendo.  

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 08:50:10 AM »
Nope, it wasn't that. It was because MoSys officially declared that Nintendo told them to expect a Summer 06 release. It was by far the most reputable source for any release date thus far, so we all kept it in mind.

Now, I don't know what to think.....

Could Nintendo be prepping us up for a big surprise? Or am I just talking out of my ass?
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 09:00:04 AM »
I don't think Nintendo will need to keep the Cube going any more than Zelda will.  Think about it, back when the Cube was shown off at E3.  What drove the hype train for that through to November?  It wasn't the N64, thats for sure, and the Cube had plenty of hype even going head to head with the X-Box.

As I've said before, I think Sony would be stupid to launch in the Spring.  Christmas does a lot to add to hype.  If Nintendo launches any earlier than November, it will be a bad decision.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 09:04:18 AM »
"Think about it, back when the Cube was shown off at E3. What drove the hype train for that through to November? It wasn't the N64, thats for sure"

There was a few months before E3 though where Nintendo was just plain gone.  It's easier to build hype if the media is giving you coverage and it's harder to get much media coverage when there are like no games being released for your console.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 10:23:15 AM »
Good thing Nintendo is keeping the press busy with the micro and the ds, then
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 10:35:32 AM »
"Good thing Nintendo is keeping the press busy with the micro and the ds, then"

Nintendo had the GBA between the N64 and Cube too and it didn't really help.  Nintendo's portable success never seems to transfer to their consoles.  Plus portables don't usually get the magazine covers.  They're not like the BIG stories.  I think it's important that specifically as a console maker Nintendo continues to be in everyone's mind during the change over.

If they've got the killer app launch title they SHOULD have then it won't be much of a problem.

Offline Nosferat2

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 12:28:19 PM »
Well a thanksgiving launch give me time to finish all my unfinished GC games.. 20 or so,..
That wont happen. Thank God the Rev is backward compatible....

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 02:53:15 PM »
I'm not really surprised; when was the last time Nintendo didn't launch in november? the 64, and that was ten years ago (which is retarted. Makes me feel old. Toy Story is also 10 yrs old, which is doubly weird.)
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 03:13:40 PM »
Wow has ben ten years since the N64? You should feel old (because I do).  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 03:58:20 PM »
Yeah, isn't that weird? 1996 doesn't feel like it was so long ago - 18yrs have I walked this Earth.

Anyways, like I said, not surprised...I hope Zelda isn't delayed to coincide with Rev launch though.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 04:01:53 PM »
I will in all honesty buy an XboX and play Jade Empire if Zelda is delayed ti november 2006. Hell, if I don't play Zelda B4 E3 I'll be one sad puppy. Demo Disc or something please!!!
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 04:39:22 PM »
Yeah, isn't that weird? 1996 doesn't feel like it was so long ago - 18yrs have I walked this Earth.

Nah, I'd say 16. 17 tops.

Unless you already took that into account
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 06:24:11 PM »
So, I just happened to be watching Attack of the Show on G4 today, and I guess there was some news on the PS3 launch. There's talk of the PS3 coming out in November of this year as well. I've posted the link for the article where they got their story Here.

I don't know. Sony and Nintendo releasing at the same time. What do you think?

I'm beginning to wonder if Nintendo should release in September or October to start creating a real buzz about their console, especially if the new controller does prove to be a real game-changing experience. Then perhaps less people will be interested in the PS3.  
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 07:25:29 PM »
I've always thought it would release in November. Hopefully PAL regions wont have to wait until 2007.

November, eh? I hope for Nintendo's sake that Twilight Princess is REALLY good because it has got to last us a while.

What if Twilight Princess comes out in October? We still have no idea when that's coming out...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 07:46:35 PM »
IT'S NOT COMING OUT.

TIME TO GIVE UP GAMING, PEOPLE.

MYSPACE IS WHERE IT'S AT.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 04:45:46 AM »
On the topic of feeling old.  I remember the days when I thought the only way to get on the web was to use AOL and than to find something you had to use a Gopher.  I'm really not that old.  Just 23...

On the topic of PS3 and Rev having the same release month if not date.  That would be very interesting.  Many people be torn.  In fact it might be anarchy at some game retailers because both sides have there Zealots.  Could you think of the promotions.  

"Get the next gen launch combo.  For under a $1000, aka 999, get a PS3, Rev, an extra controller for each, extra memory card for each, the DVD thingies for both, a game for each, and a "I'm not bias, I just love games" shirt."

That would be insane.  Ironically enough, though, I would have no trouble strolling past all the PS3ites and going to the counter, "Sir, I like a Revolution."
Pay. Walk out.

But in all actuallity a launch like that would be very hard on most the retailers.  I mean they love the profits but the extra manpower you need for platform launches.  Well...  It be a lot of work for only a few people.

Also there be this scenario, "Sir, I'm sorry we don't have anymore PS3's because Sony has no forward thinking ability.  What I do have is the Revolution.  It's better, cheaper, and instock because Nintendo knows how to have hardware for a launch."

Another fun one would be:

While waiting in line for his PS3, which he preoredered to boot, Timmy notices something.
Something shiny, something white.
Looks cool and comforting.
He just wants to hold it.
Play with it.
Love it.
Look it's right by him.
He wouldn't lose his place in line.
So why not play?
"You know this is fun," thought Timmy as he prepared a virtual meal.
Then the line moves on.
"Here is your PS3 Timmy, enjoy."
Dun dum dee dun~.  Timmy has Acquired a PS3.  (One of the lucky few who did)
Timmy gets home and hooks it up.
The graphics are wonderful.
The gameplay is tired.
The Online not there.
Staring at his boomerang Timmy declares, "This will do to fill my fix for a while but when it comes out I will sell it and by my glimmer"
Poor Timmy was hooked by it's lucious curves and sleek exterior.
It had him in a thrawl.
It was all he could think about at night.
Even when he was playing the PS3 he was thinking of the other.
Soon the day came and the darkness disappeared.
Timmy then declared, "The day is here, the darkness is gone.  PS3 was swell but this is more fun."

I know the ending is weak if anyone can think of anything bette go for it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline attackslug

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2006, 05:24:10 AM »
Launching head to head with Sony would be *bad*.  The brand recognition and loyality of the Playstation brand is the same, if not stronger, than that of the original NES at the end of the 8bit era.  I will guarentee that Sony is going to market the PS3 more aggressively than any previous consoles, and despite the higher price point it WILL sell like crazy.  If anything, Sony knows how to market to the Western consumer, particularly America.  Nintendo has to beat sony to the market by at least a month, otherwise it'll be ignored by the hype of the PS3 release.
Another point to consider is the actual cost of the PS3.  Remember how everyone was convinced that the PSP would be well over $300?  Sony will definately sell the PS3 at a HUGE loss, probably bigger than most people have so far predicted.  In order to truly combat the PS3 launch, I think that Nintendo needs to not only get in before the holiday shopping starts, but it needs to really show off to the mainstream crowd how it's (hopefully) unique features make it a must-have.