Author Topic: DS Demos Can Be Downloaded Via Revolution  (Read 5741 times)

Offline Don'tHate742

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
DS Demos Can Be Downloaded Via Revolution
« on: September 18, 2005, 04:30:32 PM »
I didn't know which furom to put this in so bare with me.

Anyway according to Revo-Europe:

Is there nothing Nintendo's wonderous next-gen console can't do? Today we found out another piece of the Revolution puzzle...

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has confirmed that the upcoming Revolution console will have the ability to download demos for the Nintendo DS... and then transfer them wirelessly onto your handheld!

More details are expected in October, when Iwata has promised the lid will be blown off the mysterious Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, ahead of such launches as Mario Kart DS, Tony Hawks American Sk8land and Animal Crossing: Wild World - all of which support the online service.

We'll bring you more on this as it breaks.

"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:DS Demos Can Be Downloaded Via Revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 04:35:23 PM »
I think this was posted b4 as a rumor somewhere on these forums, but its good to see that it has been confirmed now.  But it was already expected, as it only made sense.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
RE: DS Demos Can Be Downloaded Via Revolution
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 04:37:34 PM »
Where was it confirmed? Almost too good to be true. But I hope so.
"wow."

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 04:40:16 PM »
True....the actual news isn't that exciting. However, if you look beyond what is said, you can see that there is a possibility of say...taking your NES, SNES, and N64 games on the go. That news would be very exciting on the other hand.

Here's hoping I'm not reading into this too much...

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 04:44:13 PM »
Ever since I heard about the download service I've been dreaming of playing my downloaded NES or SNES games on my DS (N64 may be too big..).

This is good news too, of course
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 04:47:13 PM »
Wow dude, that was kicking rad.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 04:49:47 PM »
What does that mean, the Rev has some way of communicating wirelessly with the DS?

So is it a Wifi router or do they have to be in the same network or what?  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 05:12:57 PM »
No....there are two different modes for WiFi.

One being the one your talking about. It connects to a router and therefore connects to the internet.

The other is basically LAN mode (I think its called Ad-hoc). Other wireless devices talk to each other with WiFi, even without a router present. An example of this is Xbox 360 WiFi controller, that speaks to the actually console itself.

So basically, if you want to play REV LAN, you won't need to connect everything to a router like you did with the Xbox this gen (though I maybe wrong). I am positive that the DS will speak directly to the REV however, and this announcement proves it.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 05:27:42 PM »
But doesn't that mean the DS had to be designed with communicating with the Rev in mind?

Was Nintendo really looking that far ahead?

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 05:32:44 PM »
Both the DS and Revlution will use 802.11b to connect. And theoretically you can connect any device that uses that networking protocol together as long as their is a software (or hardware) interface that supports the connection. So it is possible that we will see some hacked consoles (Xbox 360 and PS3) that will in some form allow the DS to connect to it.

On another note this isn't really surprising. Nintendo had a simular service going in Japan for the Gameboy (Advanced I think) where you bought a blank cart and you could go to a store and buy a game to dl to the cart. So theoretically they can probally do this for the DS if they offer blank DS cards and you can dl them at home instead of going to a store.

As I said in another thread if Nintendo handles their down load service correctly they will be able attract a lot of developers who will make games just for the service. (A homebrewer's dream, to make money with their hobby.) For example the developer can submit their title to Nintendo and make a suggestion on how much they want back from the sale of each game (say $10.00), then Nintendo can decide if the game fits some critrea for distribution. Then Nintendo could put a $1-to-$5 price increase on top of that for storage and liscensing. I"m not saying it will happen but one can dream.

Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 05:44:42 PM »
I think Nintendo has something like this in mind. They mentioned how teams made up of only 8-10 people have really great ideas, but lack the support and funds. They went on further to say that those teams with just that big idea will be able to produce games for the REV.

I don't remember the exact quote, but it was stated at E3.

Anyway, ever since the controller's unvieling, it seems more and more evident that Nintendo has the ball in their court. They have the ability to wipe out the competition. Homebrew games, Revolution interface, Virtual Console, DS interactive play, first online Nintendo console, Sleek design...........it goes on and on....

What can't Nintendo do?

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 05:56:05 PM »
"What can't Nintendo do?"

Make Ian happy.

Offline pudu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 06:50:52 PM »
If this is true it's pretty awsome.  I've followed the sources back to eurogamer.net and can't find this news article anywhere on the DS or Rev sections of their site.

I've always been a fan of demos.  They are easily one of the best ways to get people to want a game then letting them play it and get a feel for it.  If they also let people download demos for Revolution this will be the first Nintendo console (and handheld) that have readily available demos.  It's a welcome change in my book.

Offline NotSoStu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 07:14:32 PM »
This is certainly good news.
i haven't used this in years why is it the second result when you search my name asdfadsfasfa

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 12:56:44 AM »
Holy crap, this would be awesome! I completely forgot about the possibility of DS and Rev interacting. I'd download demos as long as they're free.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 05:39:17 AM »

Originally posted by: pudu
If this is true it's pretty awsome.  I've followed the sources back to eurogamer.net and can't find this news article anywhere on the DS or Rev sections of their site.

I've always been a fan of demos.  They are easily one of the best ways to get people to want a game then letting them play it and get a feel for it.  If they also let people download demos for Revolution this will be the first Nintendo console (and handheld) that have readily available demos.  It's a welcome change in my book.

I think your looking for this Here

It mostly talks about how the virtual console downloadable games won't be free, though you'll notice it does mention DS demos near the very bottom.

.....for the lazy

Interestingly, the Nintendo boss also confirmed that Revolution users will be able to download demos for the Nintendo DS to the console and then transfer them wirelessly to their handhelds.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 06:01:46 AM »
Does this mean you won't be able to download demos from the internet directly to your DS? I think this is a sign they won't be updating the DS firmware for TCP/IP.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 10:32:24 AM »
FREE?

YES PLEASE.

I really respect Nintendo for this.  Charging for these downloads is easy money, and from a business stance this is ridiculous, especially when you're making a proft even if you charge a nickel for each game, but Nintendo decided to please the gamers instead of themselves

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 10:33:15 AM »
Wait wait wait.  Okay, I have this.  Every first party game they have will be available for download (from NES to N64).  I understand that, and that is incredible.
But does that article say FOR FREE, or has the sea brine blurred me eyes?
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 10:38:41 AM »

Nintendo has finished collating and formatting all 221 of its first-party NES, SNES and N64 titles, which will be offered to Revolution users via free download when new the hardware launches in 2006.

According to an article in the latest issue of Japanese games magazine Famitsu, Nintendo will definitely offer every first-party title it's ever published for its three pre-Cube consoles for free download from day one.

Famitsu also reconfirmed that Nintendo will allow third-parties to make any number of their games available, though points out that the pricing of such titles is at the discretion of the publisher in question and as such won't necessarily be free.

While it's clear Nintendo's motive for offering its back-catalogue to customers for free is to shift its new console, third-party publishers have no self-serving motive for giving their games to Nintendo for free, so are expected to use their titles to add purchasing incentive to their own Revolution game releases.

I figured that perhaps it was a translation mistake, where they only meant free WiFi, but the talk about letting third parties charge for their games matches with the statements about online gaming, where Ninty's first party titles would be free, but third parties could charge whatever they wanted...

For all those in disbelief or who don't feel like reading  I suppose you could argue about translation all you want, but this is enough confirmation for me.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 10:41:48 AM »
That article is wrong. Look at the date.

Famitsu was listing what Nintendo could offer. They didn't announce pricing or even declare what they WOULD offer.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 10:52:28 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
That article is wrong.

just so this conversation doesnt keep running on and on
I'll shut up now...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 11:08:11 AM »
I still stand by what I said earlier (prior to this, I don't recall where), that if Nintendo offered all their games for free the Revolution would sell itself.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005, 11:10:12 AM »
Oh noes, I didn't noticed the date =o  I require that whoever posts the article makes sure it's current >=O

Also, what Hostile said.