Author Topic: Gunstar Super Heroes Gets Name Change in Europe  (Read 4893 times)

Offline LassePalle

• PGC Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gunstar Super Heroes Gets Name Change in Europe
« on: August 27, 2005, 03:30:12 AM »
The new name is Gunstar Future Heroes, and THQ and Sega will co-publish the game.

THQ and SEGA Announce the Multi-Award-Winning Gunstar Future Heroes for Game Boy® Advance    

CALABASAS HILLS, Calif., Aug. 26: THQ Inc. and SEGA Europe today announced a co-publishing agreement for Gunstar Future Heroes for the Game Boy® Advance in all territories excluding North America and Asia. Scheduled to ship in Fall 2005, Gunstar Future Heroes is part of THQ and SEGA's multi-title exclusive publishing agreement. Known as Gunstar Super Heroes in North America, the game was received with tremendous critical acclaim at E3 2005, boasting IGN's "GBA Game of E3", "Best GBA Action Game of E3" and "Best GBA Game Graphics of E3" as well as GameSpot's "Best GBA Game of E3".    

"We're excited to be working with SEGA to bring Gunstar Future Heroes to PAL territories," said Ian Curran, Senior Vice President, European Publishing. "The game has an incredibly well-respected legacy and with Treasure once again taking charge of the development, we know we that we have a genre-defining product to bring to market."    

"THQ continues to be a great partner for SEGA and our outstanding GBA line up," commented Matt Woodley, Creative Director SEGA Europe and America. "Gunstar Future Heroes deserves to be a huge success and with THQ's unrivalled understanding of the GBA market I'm sure it will be."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Gunstar Super Heroes Gets Name Change in Europe
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 08:29:14 AM »
That name is about as appealing as "Ninja Cop". When will EA catch on and release "American Football 2007", "Realtime Strategy 2" and "James Bond FPS 6"?

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 04:48:14 PM »
It's about as appealing as "Gunstar Super Heroes" (ie, not very).  Fans of the first game who see "Gunstar" and "Heroes" in the title will still buy it, what's the problem?
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Gunstar Super Heroes Gets Name Change in Europe
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 05:25:11 PM »
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are called the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles in Europe, 'cause they don't like ninjas, apparently.

But this name change is weird.  Super to Future?  I don't see anything touchy about either word, so why bother with name changes when it's still in English?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 07:11:02 PM »
With Sega, rules and logic are thrown out the window, it helps to just not think about it.

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 10:51:12 PM »
Names can also be changed for specific regions due to copyright conflicts.  For example, the GBA version of Top Gear Rally had to be retitled to TG Rally in the UK because there was a magazine called "Top Gear Rally" or something that held the copyright in that country.

Bit of history about the "Hero Turtles" business:

The UK title for this game (as well as both the comics and cartoon series), "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles", replaced the original 'ninja' of the title with the less threatening "Hero". This is because the Conservative British government of the time wouldn't allow ANY 'children's product' to include the word 'ninja' at any point during its content, arguing that to do so would encourage the children of this fine country to use violence against each other.

If I remember correctly (and I don't, because I wasn't in the country), I think Margaret Thatcher was the Prime Minister at the time, and was the one to really enforce this.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 01:15:13 AM »
From what I heard it wasn't a law (except Michaelangelo's nunchucks were removed, not from the C64 game, though), just that they thought noone knew what a "Ninja" is.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 02:07:35 AM »
'Sup Ninja Gaiden turning into Shadow Warrior for PAL territories.

At least Gunstar SuperFutureRainbowTotalRecall Heroes is getting released soon after America, unlike Astro Boy and Guardian Heroes Advance, which took thousands of years.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Gunstar Super Heroes Gets Name Change in Europe
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 04:58:07 AM »
I only ever saw the first Gunstar for gba in EB in Adelaide, then again they seem to import alot of US version (and hong kong bootlegs)