Author Topic: Killer7  (Read 13238 times)

Offline miedo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Killer7
« on: July 14, 2005, 07:27:28 AM »
God and the pigeons are one. Trust in the pigeons.

Killer7

Genre Action | Publisher Capcom | Developer Grasshopper | ESRB Mature

(author’s note: The slowdown and long load times do not plaque the GCN version. This review technically covers the PS2 version, but the above is the only difference)

There are some games that split user response in two. Generally it can be due to a new, unique way to play, or in the case of some RPGs, the story direction. Killer7 has appeared to do the same. If you are looking into this game and have read the various reviews out there, you have already realized that some people despise the game for having such a simplistic gameplay design. Others realized that this was the only way you could explain the story and keep this wild style of graphics, sound design, and other parts of gameplay. I am part of the latter.

The reason this game is so unique is due to a few factors. If you check out a few of the screenshots, you will see that the art style used to portray the game is wildly different then anything we have seen before. Still, after playing a few hours with this style, it is easy to see that there would be no other form of graphics that would portray the image Suda 51 and Grasshopper were trying to show you. When killing off Heaven Smiles, the game’s central enemies, about 30 holes will open all of their bodies, and blood will pour out of their wounds as if their body was a showerhead of blood. When they finally fall, the body explodes into little colorful particles.

These Smiles, who never stop smiling by the way, are the central figure of the story. You play as the Killer7, a group of assassins all seemingly sharing one body. Harman Smith has seven personalities in addition to his own: Garcian, Dan, Kaede, Kevin, Coyote, Con, and Mask. Our dysfunctional bunch here is the Earth’s main resistance to the Smiles. This is fairly expected, because the man who controls the Smiles is Kun Lan, Harman’s main adversary. While the game starts out seemingly as these two groups fighting, your “assignments” will be to kill other various political figures. All are unique, and range from a man who likes little girls to a gang of Power Ranger-rip offs. In the end, this all ties together to somehow explain the past of the Killer7, as well as some very messed up political ideas. All of this adds up to one of the best stories in video games. Do I fully understand what went on in Killer7? No, not really. I get the overall idea of it, but a lot of details are still confusing. Don’t worry though; it only adds to the mystique that is Killer7.

Well, this story needs a vessel to get to you with. That vessel is the distinctive gameplay, although some say it is too simplistic. Yes, it is simple when you first look at it. The game is almost like a rail shooter. You press one button to go forward, and one will turn you around. At intersections, you choose where you want to go next with the left analog stick and continue down that path. Combat involves bringing up your weapon into a first-person view and scanning whenever you hear the Smile’s screams. This makes them visible and open targets to your gun (or knife) fire.

What really makes it unique is the variety of Smiles, ways to kill enemies, the level design, and the light RPG elements that accompany all of this. You control seven personalities, although Garcian can not be upgraded (and you won’t use him much either). They each have their own weapons that are generally unique: Mask’s dual grenade launchers that require a reload after every round to Con’s automatics that are amazingly fast to Kevin’s knives which have no reload time. Using these weapons, you can target the weak points of the Smiles, which sometimes are shown glowing yellow (in the easiest difficulty) and other times they are fairly obvious and are not directly denoted.

Every time you hit a weak spot, or shoot off a limb, the Smile will spout blood. Blood will be collected, and comes in two forms: thin and thick. Thin blood will be used for healing and special attacks, like charge shots. Thick will be turned into serum at TVs, where you save and can change to Garcian, who you generally only use to resurrect fallen personas. The serum is then used to upgrade four categories: Power, Speed, Waver, and Critical. Mask and Kevin have slightly different upgrades, but they work the same way. Anyway, this is how you shape the characters you like. Say, you really like Dan. However, his arm tends to shake a little when aiming. So you upgrade your Waver to level 3. Now, Dan’s aim is near steady. It is not perfect, but is a lot better than it was. Now, you focus on the other statistics. When you get each of them to level 2, Dan gains his counter attack ability. Whenever a Smile gets too close, you can time a press of the counter button and Dan will grab the Smile and shoot him dead. You get no blood out of the deal, but it helps against damage. These abilities come from certain level requirements. You can get the counter attack, which most of the personas can get, or get a Head Lock-on with Dan, which will automatically target the head of the Smile nearest to you. There are several of these abilities, but you never really know when you will get one, so it’s basically going by luck when choosing upgrades that you get the ability.

The last bit of gameplay to work into Killer7 is the puzzles. You can whittle most of the puzzles to their core, which almost always are finding the right piece and putting it in the right place. Whether it is finding an engraving to open a door or seeing how many transformations a toy has on a poster and then imputing that number into a computer, they all revolve around a key to a lock. Some will get more complicated and force you to backtrack and check things, then go back to the lock and open it with the information you hopefully remembered. Still, you can always look at the bosses as puzzles, because as they are generally human, they each have their own unique way to go down. Sometimes you have to shoot at the precise time in a stand off, or others you just have to find the weak point and exploit it. None are ever really the same, and make for some of the more unique experiences during gameplay.

As I said before, the presentation is probably something you have never seen before. Aside from the colorific regular graphics, the game uses two other styles of cutscenes. Both are actually anime, but the way they are drawn and animated is completely different. They are used in sections also, as one appears in the first half and the other appears in the second. I’m not exactly sure of the reason for this, but it may have been used to switch things around. Anyway, on the music front, everything is a little toned down. Nothing is real eccentric like the rest of the game, except for the disco theme after the gatekeeper, which I personally love. However, where it lacks that “edge” in the music, it gains in the sound design. From the laughs of the Smiles as they explode in your face to the arcade-like kill sounds every time the Smile erupts in blood, nothing is short of uniquely brilliant. Even the voices of the dead ghosts that come back to help, or haunt, you speak in a weird gibberish with the help of subtitles. Don’t worry, the rest of the voice-acting is all real English, and is actually fairly well done.

While it may surprise you, Killer7 can last about 15-20 hours. It only has seven missions, but each one tends to last about 2-3 hours long, excluding the last one. Oh, and there are two different ways to play the game. Technically, they are different difficulties. But the differences are really whether you want to be really challenged or if you want the game to be there for help if you ever need it. On the easier difficulty, most puzzles are denoted on the map with the persona/item to use for it. There are also key locations and things that should be checked out shown on the map as well. Probably the biggest change is the fact that only on the easiest difficulty you will be shown the enemy’s weak points on regular Smiles. That yellow glow I mentioned earlier, it isn’t shown on the hard difficulty. Plus, the enemies are harder. Again, if you start with the harder difficulty, you’ll probably have a tough time getting used to the game.

Aside from the puzzles, the only real flaws you can find in this game are due to the Playstation 2’s hardware. Unfortunately, gameplay will get slowdown when a few Smiles get close to you, or sometimes even with the death of a Smile. There is also about 10 second-long cutscenes between doorways and changing personas. You know that static you get on your TV when the channel doesn’t work? Imagine the camera is zoomed in and the color is hued to blue. Get used to that image, because you will be seeing it a lot.

Overall, I really had a good time with this game. If my score was based on personal fun with the game alone, it would be near perfect. Still, Killer7 is a wildly unique game that won’t please everyone. I definitely recommend renting this title due to the storyline and uniqueness that accompanies most things you do. Trust me; your time will be unlike anything you have done before.

Gameplay...8
Graphics...9
Audio......9
Worth......8
Overall........8 /10

+ An experience like no other
+ Schizophrenia has never been so much
- Puzzles are almost all, at their core, key and lock related
? Why must the story confuse me half the time?

originally posted at http://www.gamexc.com

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Killer7
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 11:41:14 AM »
Nice review...I'll probably pick this up sometime, but I spent my last 20 on Riviera...Gotta find some cash, fast!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline miedo

• View Profile
RE:Killer7
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 06:59:24 PM »
Both are weird games, but give you a lack of control (as I've heard), so I guess that's about even.  I haven't played Riviera, but if you like the unique games, Killer7 is a great buy.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 07:30:28 AM »
I was going to rent this game shortly after it came out, but all the copies were gone and I've been too busy to give it an honest chance since.  It sounds really interesting, but I'm both iffy on the gameplay and the violence, so I don't want to go and spend $50 cdn without trying it first.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline miedo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 06:56:31 PM »
I heard there was a recent $20 price drop.  Not exactly sure, but I wouldn't be surprised.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 08:01:37 PM »
Excellent review.  I love this game and highly recommend it to anyone willing to have a very bizarre gaming experience.  One of my favorite games.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 06:35:50 AM »
I rented Killer 7 lately, and it was definitely interesting.

Not being a huge fan of violent games and also being a little annoyed with the game design, I'd say I'll still wait for this one to drop in price before I'll buy it (the game is still full price around here).  Having said that, the story is compelling and the presentation is amazing...I like it a lot.  Very stylish and weird and creepy.  Too bad you need to beat the first chapter to really get into the thick of the plot.

The gameplay was a lot better than I feared.  It felt to me like a mix of old-fashioned graphic text adventures like Shadowgate and first person shooters.  It was pretty fun, but I found myself playing only to see more cutscenes, which is not a great sign.  The areas became repetitive once I memorized them, and it was too easy to fall victim to cheap deaths before I memorized them: it takes too long to figure out where the enemies are.  I also got a little disoriented because of the restricted movement for the characters, but that's a minor annoyance.  Overall it played okay, but the story was what really drove the game.

I'd say this is at least a must-play (but not necessarily a must-buy) for anyone who is interested in bizarre, non-linear storytelling along the lines of The Maxx or Aeon Flux.   Most of those people will probably dig it enough that they'll want to buy it after, but it's just too weak in the gameplay department for me to recommend it sight unseen.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 09:19:26 AM »
The Maxx is awesome.  They really need to get around to releasing that on DVD.  I own is on VHS, but I can't remember the last time I watched tape.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 08:27:15 AM »
Yeah, I love the Maxx too.  - Back on topic...I was a little too wishy washy in my last note - everyone must play this game.  I still don't recommend it as a must buy, but it's a title that demands to be played at least once (well, assuming you're old enough!)

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 11:31:05 AM »
The gun battle with the pigeon on the old man's shoulder...how the hell are you supposed to kill him.  I'm looking at the bird's neck...but nothing seems to work.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 03:25:25 PM »
Are you constantly holding down R? If you are, don't. Wait until the bird flies away, then press R, then shoot him.  
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline cubist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 08:58:17 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  I guess I can now revisit the game after one whole month of not touching it due to frustration and having my younglings laugh at me 'cause I can't beat the guy.  Does it get better?  How much is in the second disc?'

Thanks again.

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 10:08:54 AM »
The story definitely picks up, yeah. The target directly after that one is a total blast with a few great anime sequences. And after Handsome Men, well, let's just say Killer 7 kicks it into overdrive.

As for how much is on the second disc, there isn't that much - a lot of cutscenes but there's only a couple real levels.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline cubist

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 03:53:39 PM »
Now I'm definitely going to have to put down DOR2 and Batallion Wars to finish what I started with Killer 7.  Good show Viewtiful Gamer - that's 2 quick responses...and I thought no one was monitoring this part of the Forum.  Since you were kind enough to take the time to answer, I'll post some reviews starting with Batallion Wars next week.  I like the idea that people are actually reading the "Reader Reviews" section.

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 04:06:17 PM »
I bounce around, I guess. Plus, miedo's a pal of mine, so I kept track of what people were saying in his review.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 06:32:48 AM »
I couldn't get into this one.  IT has style tho.  

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 08:38:58 PM »
HOw in the hell do i beat the biatch who runs around the parking lot on hard mode? I hit her 14 times and she still runs around. Its harder than hell to get to 15 hits. I hope im doing something wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Nosferatu

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 12:23:11 PM »
She's a tough boss. I won't lie to you, when you beat her, it's more luck than anything else. Basically, start out using Mask and try hitting her with him, since you don't need to be exact. Once/if he's down for the count, take out Dan. Then aim as well as you can (under light-posts, of course - it's pretty hard to hit her under any other conditions). If you can get a couple solid hits with Mask, Dan should only need a few shots to land on her and she'll go down for the count.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 01:54:14 PM »
I really had no trouble with her at all.  I had plenty of health vials, if I ever got low, and a few good shots with Dan (tried Con at first, that didn't work out) managed to take her out.  Maybe took me twenty minutes, and I never died.
We should have an entire forum dedicated to the discussion of Killer 7, and its incredibly weird freaking plot.
I love this game.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline miedo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 04:40:49 PM »
I just killed her with Mask by firing my grenades in front of her.  She usually ran into the blasts.  Or I would stand in the middle and wait for her to come down the middle row and just fire straight shots right at her, because her trajectory was coming my way.  Suppose it would be best to have a lot of vials.  I don't see how you could get through this fight without several.  But Mask is a big boy, he can take a bit of punishment, heh.

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 09:44:33 PM »
Hmm
I literally hit that girl 14 times! I always die. I use all nine of my blood vials and after those run out i switch personas everytime they are about to die. All 7 personas get wiped out and the biatch keeps on running! I start out with The Barefoot as i get the most hits with her. also im playing on hard. Id all you above beat her on hard?? Even though on hard i thinkis it is rediculous that she doesnt die after getting shot 14 times!
Thanks for the help guys.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 09:14:26 AM »
...so, you know how to beat her, you just can't do it on hard?  Is that what you're saying?
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 10:26:14 PM »
No, im saying that thats what i did. And if im doing something wrong please let me know. I just want to know if someone has played on hard and knows about how many hits it took. I just feel that @ 14 hits she should die. But since she doesnt i feel that i need to do something else. But if all i need to do is hit the girl then i guess ill have to keep trying until i hit her 15 times. But what if i hit that mark and the bitch is still running around!? Will it take 20 hits?? If so it will be impossible.  

Offline cubist

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 06:51:45 AM »
I finally finished this game.  It took a while between games, but it was all worth the little bit of time I put into it since it was released last summer.  It is definitely a game that you'll have to review after completing it.  There's no way to put up a review when you've only played a couple of hours of it.  

I don't want to repeat everything that we hear in all the reviews...BUT...after completing the game, I've felt like I've actually accomplished something cool...like after beating a Zelda game.  I think the last time I felt this good about beating a Cube game was Pikmin 2 (except I didn't have 100 purple Pikmin to pick up that last item).  

Recently, since I've been on winter break, I've beaten True Crime: New York and GUN.  Both these games didn't reward me at all for beating them.  

That's it.  My rating of the game:

8.5 / 10

This is almost one of those non-game games.  

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 12:56:16 PM »
Cool,
I havent gotten past that super fast girl so i havent beat it yet. havent tried either, need to get back into it.
But were True  Crime NY and Gun worth the purchase? Im contemplating on buying TC NY.
Thanks