Author Topic: Too Human Trilogy: Exclusive for 360  (Read 89619 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: Too Human Trilogy: Exclusive for 360
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2005, 12:25:58 PM »
yeah he may be  a brown noser..but he sure does make great games...well not so much him  but  the  team
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Too Human Trilogy: Exclusive for 360
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2005, 04:42:10 PM »

Talk about making a point. Echo .... echo

He can't really talk about anything else at this point (Or won't.) This title's so far off that he probably just repeats whatever he can.

What struck me as interesting was this:

"IGN: Too Human started out on PlayStation 1 and was redesigned on GameCube. How far along did the GCN version get and why did you decide to halt development on it?

Denis Dyack: The GCN version of Too Human only made it to a prototype stage where we started doing camera experimentation. We created a 3D engine that seamlessly loaded areas from the disk. This was our first experience with the GCN and we ended up using some of this work on Eternal Darkness (ED) when we moved it to the GCN. Once we started the GCN version of ED all of our resources were put on it. After ED we then started work on Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (MGS:TS). After MGS:TS it was clear that it was too late to start development for this current generation and all work on Too Human was focused on the next generation. "

I hate to play what if, but it begs for it anyway: What if SK never made the MGS re-make and stuck it out with Too Human? What if Nintendo decided not to pursue a Metal Gear title if Konami decided they couldn't develop it? What if Nintendo nurtured Too Human? Would the fans would've wanted it this way? Would Too Human then fade to obscurity because of the 'Cube's popularity among the masses?

Too many what if's, even for me, but what's done is done.  Hopefully they'll have something playable at e3...

that settles it...dyack is just a kissass brown noser "Microsoft could not be better partners for the development of this epic"

To be fair, he'd be an equal opportunity brown noser. He sang Nintendo's praises as well as Konami's.   Also, this probably where Nintendo and SK had a difference in opinion. SK wanted to make this big epic with the storyline at the center. Nintendo has always been gameplay first.  

As Ian mentioned earlier, if Too Human becomes the next big thing, and if the Rev's target to non-gamers doesn't come to fruition, this can be chalked up as another big *%#! up for the big N.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2005, 05:39:10 PM »
The Cube still had 3.5 years left in it when TS came out. That's not enough for SK to finish the game? I guess that's when the money hats started falling.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2005, 06:41:23 PM »
About Denis brown nosing...

He's happy that a company will let him finish making a game that has been
in development hell for years.

Also stated earlier, the PSX version of Too Human sounds like it had a cooler concept then
the X360 version does.  Is Too Human going to be a God of War clone?
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2005, 07:34:36 PM »
God of Legacy of Half Doom Gears Life Kain Wars clone.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2005, 09:56:57 PM »
Hey guys, cut Denis some slack. SK just has a remarkable different vision from Nintendo regarding where they want to take their games. You know, just like Rare did.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2005, 10:06:16 PM »
Am I the only one thinking: Trilogy = Three 10 hour long games?
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2005, 11:03:02 PM »
Re-adjust your thinking:  3 30-hr-long (maximum) games, each game having 3 paths to choose from the start!

Vol. 1 for xb360!
Vol. 2 for xb720!
Vol. 3 for Sega MEGAPLAY!!

~~~~~

Vision?  or budget situation?  Do not compare SK to Rare (does not concern vision, does not concern budget.  Rare had deterioted productivity, and deteriorated quality).

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2005, 06:54:11 PM »

Am I the only one thinking: Trilogy = Three 10 hour long games?

Or it could be a Xenosaga-sized affair. With the cut-scenes...

Dyack did mention Xbox live support. Maybe there'll be mass mulitplayer mayhem? It could work like how the Mario Bros game was included in all the Mario Advance cartridges.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2005, 06:58:29 PM »
I guess the fanboy in all of us is strong with this topic.  I read the interview and Denis still continues to give a good interview like he's the ambassador of gaming.  You've got to admit, this game looks like it is going to kick some major ass.  I've read a lot of speculation at how much the gameplay will suck, but we haven't seen anything to comment on just yet.  I couldn't help but wonder how Silicon Knights and Rareware offering up Perfect Dark Zero and Too Human as possible killer apps for Microsoft certainly makes Nintendo's new direction and stance with the Revolution that much more ambitious.  

I've never invested heavily in other systems like I do Nintendo systems, but sitting back and watching everything develop for the PS3 and XBOX 360 going in one big-budget direction and Revolution in the other makes me realize that gaming isn't just about different gameplay genres possible on a standard controller...it is more becoming like different lifestyle choices.  To be more specific, with the current generation and the ones before, owning multiple competing consoles wasn't a difficult task.  However, I still favor my GCN over the others.  Yet, with the next generation, the prices of the XBOX 360 and the PS3 will definitely not allow most to own both... AND Nintendo's new controller will be affordable but with an investment in nunchucks and other accessories along with convincing oneself that the new controller is the way to go.  Not to mention, Nintendo's inexperience with creating an online community...which is key to the success of their next console.  

Back to the topic, I think we should be happy for Denis and the rest of his guild.  I think this was more Nintendo's loss for not funding this project.  For the fanboy, he still has a lot of respect for Nintendo as he states in his interview.  We can't fault him for catering to Microsoft in his interview because unlike Nintendo, they put the big bucks behind Too Human.  Hopefully, development times with this will be historically different to what we're used to AND their partnership with Sega offers up some Revolution titles.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2005, 05:29:49 AM »
SK needed MSoft's cash because they want to be the first to really push games and movies closer together. dyack stated similar sentiments in the past. he sees the two industries coming together to publish some really great things. It'll probably happen, too, because the only companies who can afford to publish 360 and ps3 games have to be churning out some mad profit
I'll shut up now...

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2005, 09:57:54 AM »
Which could be the secret to the REV's sucess, low budget requirements.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2005, 11:04:59 AM »
thats the  thing about  budgets that  i dont get...you could  theoretically make a  game  for  free.....what  costs  so  much? Paying t he  people  that work on  it?  Then why have  big teams? The  other thing is  sk  is actually  using  somebody  else's  engine  sooo....their  just  paying  a bunch of people to design levels  and  build haracters and  code the controls  and camera...alot  cheaper then paying  programmers  to  write  a  ton  of  code  from  scratch...

i think nintendo has  the right idea...

also re4  is  said to have the best gfx this gen..but i played star  fox...a  first  generation rare  game...and  now  im  puzzled. It  looks a ton  better  then  i  remember and better then re4.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2005, 12:21:05 PM »
The graphics issue is really just a non issue. Being underpowered next gen means nothing because games this gen already look extremely good! why a graphical overhaul needs to be so huge? games already are very impressive, updating the graphics power is normal since technology advances and now we can be offered better hardware at the same price, but why go all over the top about graphical power? Shadow of the Collossus looks stunning, and is rendered in the weakest hardware from this gen, so whats the point of having "100 times"* better graphics? people wont see these graphics as "100 times better" at all, just better.

* the delusional number that sony claimed was 100? I dont remember, its stupid anyway.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2005, 01:42:06 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
also re4  is  said to have the best gfx this gen..but i played star  fox...a  first  generation rare  game...and  now  im  puzzled. It  looks a ton  better  then  i  remember and better then re4.

Let's view the difference from my perspective.  Oh yes, SFA has fantastic looking characters Krystal, the interesting fur-rendering effect for animal hair and grass, and lots of sharp texturing.  But the price paid for these features is the framerate is inconsistent (in gameplay and cutscenes) -- something Rare can't seem to escape -- is fluidity too much to ask for?  And mathematically, when a game drops from 60fps to 30fps, the amout of polygons output is cut in half.  And I thought the explosions and particles were underwhelming.

More importantly, consider the gameplay style.  SFA is of the moderate zelda-style pace (but unfortunately, much slower than zelda ever was).  RE4 is action packed with a multitude of Evil Residents chasing after to you in the same screen.  SFA will throw more detail into an individual, usually moderate scene than RE4 will, cuz there really isn't much happening in the first place.  Specifically, SFA has much more BOREDOM per square foot than RE4.  Really, I'm more impressed by 10 Ganado ambushing Leon than Fox getting surrounded by 3 Dino grunts who're programmed to fight Fox ONE at a TIME.

If we're talking about pure graphical appearance, then the RE remake looks better than both games... until I consider how the gameplay "competes" with the visuals, in terms of how visual quality must be cut back to accomodate the gameplay.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2005, 03:54:42 PM »
Style is more important than graphics to me. See, if you're going for that suoer-realistic look but have crappy graphics, then you scuk. But if you're going for a 2D look then you shouldn't be shunned for having 2.5D graphics because you're already meeting people half way. Also, a good graphic uprade is a nice thing. Cell-shading became popular this gen and that gave us great looking games, so who knows what the next gen will give us art wise? I mean we knew how realistic games would be.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2005, 07:30:22 PM »
well, starfox  doesnt have the  gameplay  that  re4 does for sure...i feel  i  can play  re4 over and over and over  again...i hadnt played  star  fox  in  two  years  other  then the brief  30  mins this week.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2005, 10:35:08 PM »
The other thing is sk is actually using somebody else's engine sooo....their just paying a bunch of people to design levels and build haracters and code the controls and camera...alot cheaper then paying programmers to write a ton of code from scratch...

The engine is a minor problem for a game, making all the assets (levels, textures, characters, sounds, etc) takes years. And they still need programmers because an engine isn't a complete game, you need to code all the rules, objects, etc. And usually you have to adjust the engine somewhat to make it more suitable for your goals.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2005, 09:58:20 AM »
waaaay off topic, but is anyone else perfectly content with watching the sun rise over Lake Hylia, or riding through Hyrule Field to catch the break of dawn? I can play Ocarina of Time for hours on end without doing anything important and still feel content. And to think, we have another Zelda title just months away (this should be the best one EVAR).

oh, Xbox is cool, too.
I'll shut up now...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2005, 11:10:34 AM »
Nope, not really. I hate the day-night cycle in the 3d Zelda, all it means is that the world looks bad 3/4ths of the time and you often have to wait.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2005, 01:27:19 PM »
you dont  like  day time  or you dont  like nighty time?

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2005, 05:59:07 PM »
Dyack speaks again at X05 in Toronto, Ontario.
Linky

Its more or less the same details from the last interview with IGN but with more tidbits such as:

GS: You were a second-party developer for Nintendo, but this didn't work out. What happened?

Dyack: We're not talking about business details. They wanted to move in a different direction than we did, so we parted ways.

GS: What direction is that?

Dyack: They wanted to create smaller and simpler games, and we wanted to make deeper and more-epic game experiences.

There you go. Straight from the horse's mouth, he basically said what many PGC'ers have been saying all along. Either that, or he's perusing the boards, gives the fans what they want to hear, so the speculation will cease.

On what he thinks on the Rev controller [Ian, this is for you, since you asked...]

GS: Off-topic, but what do you think about the Nintendo Revolution controller?
Dyack: It looks cool and innovative, but I haven't seen the games yet, so it's hard to say. It does seem very interesting, and I think it opened a lot of eyes.

Take it as you will.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2005, 06:10:44 PM »
"Dyack: They wanted to create smaller and simpler games, and we wanted to make deeper and more-epic game experiences."

Translation: Nintendo weren't willing to fund Too Human.

Which isn't very nice, but at least now we have an easily translated answer. And it's better than "we had to get out of this sinking ship before the Revolution came along".
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2005, 06:44:45 PM »
Hopefully Too Human sells better than Eternal Darkness. I can't blame Nintendo for bad advertising, it got a decent amount. But it was a very fun game.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2005, 07:03:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Djunknown
Dyack speaks again at X05 in Toronto, Ontario.
Linky

Its more or less the same details from the last interview with IGN but with more tidbits such as:

GS: You were a second-party developer for Nintendo, but this didn't work out. What happened?

Dyack: We're not talking about business details. They wanted to move in a different direction than we did, so we parted ways.

GS: What direction is that?

Dyack: They wanted to create smaller and simpler games, and we wanted to make deeper and more-epic game experiences.

There you go. Straight from the horse's mouth, he basically said what many PGC'ers have been saying all along. Either that, or he's perusing the boards, gives the fans what they want to hear, so the speculation will cease.

On what he thinks on the Rev controller [Ian, this is for you, since you asked...]

GS: Off-topic, but what do you think about the Nintendo Revolution controller?
Dyack: It looks cool and innovative, but I haven't seen the games yet, so it's hard to say. It does seem very interesting, and I think it opened a lot of eyes.

Take it as you will.

Has this been posted in the developer feedback thread on the Rev board?

This statement is disappointing as it reveals Nintendo's software strategies to truly be micro games.  Who else would know better than Dennis?  I want the kind of epic game Dyack wants to make, but I want 3D control as well.  I don't want one or the other; I want both, and that is the key to pleasing casuals and hardcore gamers.  Gamers want to keep their game design which has been advanced so far in the past 20 years, but hardcore gamers also will appreciate the accuracy of the new control mechanic.  Nintendo does not need to wait five years before addressing the issue of serious software for this controller; then Sony will come out with their version and get credit for it all.  Nintendo needs a game at launch that is "traditionally" designed, and implements the controller's motion control to blow open some bottle neck the previous generation of controllers created.  For example, the aiming in shooters, jumping in 3D in platformers, or the complex move lists of fighting games.

Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg