Author Topic: The Bible Game Announced  (Read 5607 times)

Offline SS4Gogita

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Bible Game Announced
« on: May 10, 2005, 08:48:52 AM »
Crave Entertainment seems to think that there aren't enough Bible games these days, so get your Game Boy Advance ready.

Think you know your Bible?    

Crave Entertainment Announces The Bible Game for PlayStation 2 and Game Boy Advance    

Los Angeles, Calif.-May 10, 2005-Crave Entertainment, a leading publisher of console videogames, today announced the upcoming release of The Bible Game for PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the Game Boy® Advance handheld system. The first titles of their kind on current console systems, both games combine wholesome family fun with a engaging challenge of Biblical knowledge.    

The Bible Game for PlayStation 2 casts players as contestants on a game show with fast-paced, "beat the buzzer" action and a comical off-screen announcer as emcee. 20 mini- and micro-games with 1,500 questions reinforce inspirational Old Testament teachings such as Jonah and the Whale, David and Goliath, The Tower of Babel, and many more. Multiplayer mode for up to 4 players encourages family members of all ages to play together, and provides a fun alternative for family game nights.    

The Bible Game for Game Boy Advance combines action/adventure play style with trivia challenges. In their quest to protect the Armor of God, players may choose to play as either Billy or Jenny across seven levels including forest, snowy tundra, desert, and tropical island environments. Along the way they must answer questions from both the Old and New Testaments. Either the New International Version or King James translation may be selected, and three levels of difficulty keep the game accessible for all ages.    

Scheduled for release in October 2005, The Bible Game will be available for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and GameBoy® Advance handheld system for a MSRP of $19.99.

::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
RE:The Bible Game Announced
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 09:12:16 AM »
..........you're joking.......right?
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline SS4Gogita

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 09:28:33 AM »
Haha, I wish.
::Vincent Anderson
::Staff Writer
Planet GameCube

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: The Bible Game Announced
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 09:35:18 AM »
What always bugs me about Christian related games is that there is stuff in the Bible that could make for a cool game but it never gets used.  The Israelites for example had big battles in the book of Exodus (I think it was Exodus; Moses/Joshua era stuff) like the battle of Jericho.  You could make an RTS or something based on that kind of stuff.  Or make a Sampson game.  Kicking ass with a jawbone.  You couldn't make up source material that cool.

But unfortunately these ideas have violence and game violence doesn't really gel too well with the sort of Christian groups that make these sorts of games which is too bad.  There are Christians that don't have a problem with tasteful game violence (Catholics usually are pretty cool with that sort of thing) so if someone like that worked on a Christian game we could probably get something pretty good.  They have to try not to be overly family friendly.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 09:39:05 AM »
BIBLE BLASTERS
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 09:48:56 AM »
I agree with you, Ian, although one could argue that maybe a violent game isn't really getting the message of the Bible across.  Granted, there are conflicting opinions on just what message the Bible is trying to get across, and I won't go any further into that because it's probably too theological for the forum.  When we're talking strictly about the idea of making a game based on a part of the Bible and ignoring whether or not it teaches the same principles, then yeah, developers don't choose the best source material from the Bible.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 10:02:03 AM »
Daddy says dice are evil, so we just move one space at a time.  It's less fun that way!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 10:07:33 AM »
"one could argue that maybe a violent game isn't really getting the message of the Bible across."

Again that's largely based on how different Christian groups interpret things so it would depend on what group is making the game and the message they want to get across.

I'm looking at in strict terms of making a game based on the historical events of the Bible.  Sampson really did beat the crap out of bunch of guys with a jawbone.  So put it in the game and like the real Bible allow people to interpret it as they want to.

I thought of another game idea.  Imagine Oregon Trail except intead of bringing your family to Oregon you're bringing the Israelites across the desert from Egypt to the promised land.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 10:19:33 AM »

The following topics are off-limits unless specifically approved by a moderator, and will result in the thread being deleted.  Any reposting of these off-limits topics will result in the user being banned:
Religion

Someone better get in here and ban the PGC NewsBot.  That damn user needs to go.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 10:50:29 AM »
The Problem with using Christian material is that the stuff that makes for an interesting game would be too graphic for a quote Christian game.  This is coming from a Christian.

I would love a great Christian game, but really it wouldn't be so much Christian as a historical game.  

Imagine a Bible RPG.  Yeah sounds wierd, but you just live in the time before Christ.  God would speak to His people to rally together and battle other nations, and how well your people obeyed God, He could perform miracles.  It sounds alot like Black and White, except instead of controlling God, you control a prophet.  It could be fun.

Or the mother of all Religious games would be an Oregan Trail type game that follows Moses as he leads God's people to the promise land.  You can answer trivia questions along the way that help bless your people.  Along the way you must deal with the management of a couple 1000 people, supplies, equipment, and such.  You can also add in the balance of keeping the people's faith in God up otherwise they will start to follow false gods and you will be cast further into the desert.  

It has promise.

No, really.

EDIT:  WOW.  I'm Sorry Ian.  I didn't completely read your post, so I didn't see you statement about Oregan Trail...didn't want to sound like I copied you.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 01:36:30 PM »
Yea the book of Joshua would have some sweet battle scenes, chariot races, you name it. Though I'd rather have some kind of a handheld Greek Interlinear
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 03:49:22 PM »
If they can make Ben-Hur, they can make a great religious videogame.

Unfortunately, "they" can't make Ben-Hur. Not anymore. They did it once, then they forgot how.

And then there's the fact that the entire videogame industry has serious problems struggling to make "good" let alone "great" videogames. Not to mention that this is Crave we're talking about.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 04:13:23 PM »
I'll wait for the sequel

The Bible Game II: The Next Testament

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 07:22:45 PM »
A game of biblical proportions.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 07:29:41 PM »
Ugh, this is exactly the kind of uninspired junk that Christian artists need to avoid being involved in.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 07:38:12 PM »
I don't understand why anyone would do this. It's obvious that nobody will buy it. Even if some poor deluded parent got it for their kids, it'd never be played anyway.

"I'll wait for the sequel

The Bible Game II: The Next Testament"

That would be the Qur'an  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 06:02:49 AM »
They're not concerned if the kids will play it or not, just as long as the parents (or grand parents) pick it up...

Besides, all things considered, I believe Color Dreams claimed to have done fairly well with their Bible Based NES games...  I own two of 'em... One sucks... badly (Bible Adventures) and the other is actually fairly good (Spritual Warfare)...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 01:00:07 PM »
If I remember right, these were some pretty challenging games.  I could never beat Goliath.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 01:52:54 PM »
wow even worse is the PS2 version

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 10:47:15 AM »
They should make Left Behind: the game! Going on 7 disks long where u play as the pilot, the scrawny news photographer as u try to hold on for dear life against the antichrist with your jewish pals who will lead those to the gates of heaven in this epic battle!!!          
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake