Author Topic: XGRA Discussion Thread  (Read 4632 times)

XGRA Discussion Thread
« on: February 14, 2003, 01:23:56 PM »
it's coming out sometime this summer and ign is hinting that it might be better than f-zero! anyone else excited about this game? some of the screen shots they've posted look really sweet.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 01:40:00 PM »
Yes, but since I'm not a bloody Insider, I haven't seen any screens, other than the grainy ones on PGC.
But if it IS better than F-Zero, then I'll buy it.
I'll probably buy it anyway for more speed fixes.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Tsunekazu

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 02:04:35 PM »
XG3 left a lot to be desired.  Acclaim can hype it all they want, but if it's like the last one, I'll pass.  Not my type of game.

Offline Reverse_Gecko

• View Profile
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 07:44:14 PM »
I'll get one of my feinds to get it. It's probably not going to be as good as f-zero, because its third party.
------------------------------------------
GCN games I own: Metroid Prime, Sonic Adventure 2, Timesplitters 2, Waverace, Luigis Mansion, Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Rogue Leader, Starfox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Super Smash Bros Melee, Resident Evil, Res

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 08:56:11 PM »
After Burnout 2, this is the second game I'm looking forward to.

Acclaim publishes damn fine racing games.  XGRA will not be a let down.  I read the insider interview, and it basically squased all the bad rumors that have been going around about it.  It'll be just as good if not better than XG3.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2003, 02:02:12 AM »
Finally, I have read the Insider Interview about XGRA (how long has it been unlocked for?).
And suffice to say, I am definitely getting this game.
There seems to be sooo much depth in this game now.

And any issues I had with XG3 seems to have been eradicated. The tracks are wider, there are over 40 tracks, the weapons are no longer a burden (and, so they said, actually add some strategy to the overall outcome of the race). What's more, you can even destroy the environment and block the track! One example the guy used was that in one of the Brazil tracks, there are tubes of petrol crossing over the track. With your weapons, you can blow up the tube, spill petrol onto the track, set it on fire, and damage other racers! You can even shoot down overhead flying machine and use it to crash onto the track. Same with sponser billboards.
*DROOL*

The teams are actually 'real' teams now, with full pit crews and pit girls. Racers remember if you steal their glory, and act accordingly. You can switch teams and play on from there.
All this F1 style! So cool!
With all this info, F-Zero seems a little out-dated now.

What do I suggest?
F-Zero is merely a game to get to fill the void until XGRA comes out.

And the article is here, unlocked:
XGRA Interview  

Offline Sir Pinch-a-Loaf

• View Profile
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2003, 05:02:17 AM »
Well, I must say that the interview definitely has me interested again.  Especially after he dismissed the speed issue.  I'll probably hold off on buying it immediately, though.  Since XG3 dropped in price so quickly, I don't want to buy XGRA for $50 and have it drop like a stone to $20 in three months or so.
What, you thought you wasn't gonna see me?  I'm the Osiris of this s**t.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2003, 01:50:25 PM »
Super Monkey Ball 2 is a game I'm gonna trade in when I finish it. Although the Multiplayer is excellent, the single player can get a bit frustrating, and so it'll go toward my purchase of F-Zero or XGRA.

The one thing I didn't really like about XG3 was the way you couldn't go super-fast around a corner (tight or slight curve) without bashing into the walls and sliding along them until the track straightened up again. The fact that you have to slow down is, well, crap. That powerslide sounds mighty tasty. I want handling like F-Zero.

They have to make the championship/career mode a bit better. One thing about it in XG3 was that after you finshed a cup, you couldn't got back to compete in it again, like say Mario Kart. You could only race in the single arcade race, practice, or time trial. Hopefully they fix that as well.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2003, 01:58:49 PM »
The track destruction sounds a lot like Rollcage. In Rollcage as you got closer to certain items, like barrels, buildings, floating signs, or even blimps, you would automatically target them. If you had picked up a weapon like rockets, you could fire them and bring the building down onto enemies behind you. Very slick and rewarding, and easy to do in the heat of a race. It was released on Playstation and PC; i've seen the PC version of the first game and the Playstation version of the second for ten dollars.

For all you non-Insiders, Acclaim has finally put up an XGRA page with pics. Enjoy.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2003, 04:11:39 PM »
Judging from the Insider article XGRA seems like it could be quite the racer. I may have to get it in addition to F-Zero GC. I know this is a bit off topic but anyword on a GC racer featuring real cars ala Gran Turismo and Sega GT 2002? I know about GT Cube but I seriously don't it will have any cars for outside of Japan featured. I was really hoping NST, Retro, or someonebody would come up with a GT style game for GC. I was sorta of hoping that Sega GT would come to GC but that seems highly unlikely at this point.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2003, 05:31:35 PM »
Well, Namco have said they've wanted to make the next Ridge Racer game in the mould of Gran Turismo, and hopefully that comes to GCN.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2003, 07:45:34 AM »
I don't think it's a matter of XGRA being "better" than F-Zero, just "different".  I'm sure hardcore racing fans will love all the details in XGRA,  with pit crews and all, but personally I find those little details boring, I just want to race.  I have also always felt that the lack of weapons in F-Zero really sets it apart from other futuristic racers...beating F-Zero means relying totally on your driving skills, whereas others *shoots a galnce towards Wipeout* rely heavily on clever use of weapons.  They're almost more like Mario Kart than F-Zero!
Anyway, I think both games will be excellent, although I will probably go with F-Zero.  I find the colourful characters and strange vehicle designs from that series more entertaining than the realism XGRA seems to be striving for.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2003, 05:53:09 PM »
I totally agree. The lack of weapons gives you the chance to prove that you really are the greatest, but also the chance to not be distracted by wondering what weapon you have to use. I think the side spins and side slams are much better than weapons.

Acclaim also seemed to realise that the weapons system in XG3 was a bit of a burden, and so are going to rectify this in XGRA. There's been no futuristic racer that's had weapons and has captured my attention. Hopefully XGRA is it.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
XGRA Discussion Thread
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2003, 07:59:52 PM »
It wasn't just the weapons system in XG3 that didn't work well. It was the weapons themselves. The two most effective were the leech and the mines. You could get through the entire game with those two alone (i did). Most of the others required your opponent to be directly in front (or behind) you, or within a certain range, like missiles. And having to cycle through ten or so different weapons in the middle of a race, especially in the later stages, didn't help. Nor did the cheatin' bastard CPU, who was notorious for firing homing railguns. i don't mind a good fair challenge, but that CPU was cheap. Street Fighter 2 Bison cheap.

After watching the F-Zero vids more times than my computer can count, i've gotta say that the one bad thing i notice the most is Pico's spin attack. i know it's an important gameplay element, but the overall look of the game is more "realistic" than F-Zero X, and nudges closer to Wipeout/Extreme G. Seeing that broke that look.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."