Author Topic: Happy Birthday, KN!  (Read 38164 times)

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Star Fox Assault
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2005, 04:27:19 AM »
Um...didn't Rare make God(starfox 64)?
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Star Fox Assault
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2005, 04:54:17 AM »
Um, NO... They made Star Fox Adventures for the Cube.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2005, 06:00:09 AM »
Yeah...my enthusiam has taken a huge blow since I read the impressions...

But you bring up a good point HC.  Comparing to SF64 isn't very fair...

Still...I'm suddenly having second thoughts about buying it on release day.  

Oh what should I do?  *sobs*
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2005, 06:02:59 AM »
Definitely rent it.  I suspect I'm going to be getting this because I want to play this sort of game on my cube.  Starfox is something other games are not, a cross between flight simulation and a fantasy shooter game.  It's a very unique category, and I really like it.  I'll probably end up getting this even if it's not as good as Starfox 64 simply because nothing better (similar to this) is available.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2005, 06:23:17 AM »
I'll end up buying it, I know, but I'll probably wait for a sale or price drop first.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2005, 06:31:45 AM »
"I can't shake the feeling that everyone judging this based entirely on Starfox 64, which isn't exactly fair. That's like comparing man to God."

I think it's more like comparing Jesus to God.  This isn't just some game.  This is STAR FOX.  Therefore it's perfectly valid to compare it to the Star Fox games that came before it.  A sequel should be comparable to other entries in the series.  If the series is of high quality then it's fair to judge the sequels by those standards regardless of how high they are.  I don't just want a good game, I want a good Star Fox game.  An average Star Fox game doesn't cut it.

After reading both IGN's review and Bloodworth's impressions I'm renting it.  This sounds exactly like what I was afraid I would get: Rebel Strike with animals.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2005, 06:33:58 AM »
I read the IGN review as well and it sounded more like a rant bleh.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2005, 07:02:30 AM »
I'm boycotting IGN.  What did they say?  7.9 for lack of Arwing skins?  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2005, 07:04:16 AM »
"Therefore it's perfectly valid to compare it to the Star Fox games that came before it."
Yeah, I realized my wording wasn't quite appropriate, because it is fair to compare them.  I'm aware that it won't be as much fun as Starfox 64, but I'd still like to know how it compares to other games.  I hope that it's at least better than Star Fox Adventures.  If it's not, I won't be buying it.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2005, 07:36:56 AM »
They complained about multiplayer being in the game...No, seriously, they did... <_<

But looking back at IGN reviews, they've given two games I love, Mario Party 6 and Luigi's Mansion, 7.0's so I'm pretty confident I'll love this too...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2005, 08:49:36 AM »
You know, having spent 2 days with it, I think IGN's review was extremely fair.  I'm a huge StarFox fan, but this title just doesn't have the pizzazz that the previous two did - especially since the boss battles just lack the inspiration and jaw-dropping coolness of SF64.

Another thing, is that 7/10 levels are the arena-style levels - all of which play exactly the same.   They're fun at first, but then you realilze that they really lack depth - not to mention that it is really, really annoying trying to help your mates out when you're on foot.

I'm surprised no one has drawn this comparison, but those arena missions feel a lot like the single-player campaign from Star Wars: Battlefront - you're running around, trying to take out the enemy spawn points, can jump in air and ground vehicles, etc.

I think this is where the multiplayer complaints come in; this game is just *begging* for a cooperative mode, but all it has is deathmatch.  With cooperative, this game would have absolutely owned - one guy, running around on the ground or inside, plugging bugs, while the other person circled in an arwing and protected them.  Without it.... it feels shallow and repetative, just like SW: Battlefront did in single player.

The on-rails stuff is classic, fun and pretty - but there's only 3 levels of it!  It's pretty bad when StarFox Adventures has more classic Starfox gameplay than this one.

The more I play it, the more I just think, "Meh."  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2005, 09:01:25 AM »
So there are only ten levels in the entire game?  Berto said he'd been through eleven before.  Is this just based off of what you've played so far, or are you referring to something else having ten levels?

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2005, 10:05:53 AM »
Sorry, I was basing that on a quote from IGN's mailbag from today:

"As far as on-rails levels go, Star Fox Assault has them, but maybe not as many as you'd like. I believe that three of the 10 missions in the game are on-rails, while the remaining seven take place in full-freedom 3D on the ground and in the skies."

I'm on something like level 8 or 9  so far, so I can't confirm / deny this quote, but from what I've seen it can't be far off.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2005, 01:01:06 PM »
I finally watched the videos......

The voices were kinda annoying.  The actual voice-work was mediocre, but the team talked almost non-stop the whole mission >_<  Plus, what's up with the voices sounding funneled, ala Baten Kaitos.  At least BK had SOME kind of excuse (being in another dimension or something, I don't have the game...).  I supposed the voice-transmition system inside the Arwings could be responsible......owait, they sound terrible in the briefing too.  Hurrah!

The level looked good, I guess...... It looked weird.  I can't put my finger on, but it didn't feel right.  Too many lines....?  It still looked pretty   fun.  You know, not BAD, but not spectacular.  Too many sentances. Oh, and what the hell is with the new barrel-roll system thing?  Use L + direction?  HAT. hay bill, what are you talking about

I'll still be picking this up, just not at lunch.  Wait some bits, get Touch and Go and MaWaRu, play some more, wait a little, get some coupons, BAM, this thing will be $30-40 used, Star Fox get. THAT'S THE PLAN.    
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2005, 01:04:39 PM »
Yes, you use the C-stick...

(Um, the voices don't sound funneled at all, get your ears checked...And the barrel roll is fine...)

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2005, 03:37:05 PM »
Yeah, I'll probably be waiting for this one as well.  I'm getting Minish Cap this weekend, so that'll last me a little while.  I might actually get Resident Evil 4 to last me until the rest of the games I want come out and Starfox gets cheaper.
Getting a damn job might also help, but I've been working on that.  Meanwhile, I'll be lobbying for Nintendo to go back to making Starfox games.

Offline AMac2002

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2005, 03:50:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
They complained about multiplayer being in the game...No, seriously, they did... <_<

But looking back at IGN reviews, they've given two games I love, Mario Party 6 and Luigi's Mansion, 7.0's so I'm pretty confident I'll love this too...

Well, just cuz it got in the 7's never meant you couldn't enjoy/love them.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2005, 04:13:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Yes, you use the C-stick...

(Um, the voices don't sound funneled at all, get your ears checked...And the barrel roll is fine...)

Bill, you get your ears checked.  They sound like they're in a steel box.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2005, 04:57:58 PM »
I forgot my smiley face, as I was being sarcastic... =P

But the effect actually gives the in-mission voices a more "realistic" static-y tone, which I like...  

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2005, 06:39:54 PM »
Curses, 3 out 10 are on rails!!?? Blast it all to hell!!! I can't believe im saying this, but I will wait until the price goes way down or buy it from someone who may wind up hating it. I love Star Fox, I really really love Star Fox, and we've been waiting so long for it to come out since the 64 days only to have it screwed up by some other company. I thought Nintendo wouldn't have even let it out the door with out it being super polished. And what happend to co-op? I know I read about it befor.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2005, 07:34:42 PM »
"I thought Nintendo wouldn't have even let it out the door with out it being super polished."

Well as far as I've read the game itself isn't poorly polished in that it's glitchy or obviously unfinished.  The polish is there there just isn't really a solid Star Fox game behind it.  Star Fox Adventures was the same way.  The game was obviously professional enough for release.  It just wasn't very good as a game.  If the game was unplayable I could see Nintendo interfering but they can't really do anything if the gameplay just isn't designed well.  Would you pull the plug on a technically well made game that you already spent money on?

Though this makes me worried about the Gamecube Advance Wars which like Star Fox Assault is being designed by another developer and is breaking away from the traditional design.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2005, 07:59:32 PM »
I don't know what you're definition of polished is...

Not being glitchy or unfinished is not being "polished". You can pick up a 10 year old camry that's banged up and dirty as heck but runs perfectly...it's not glitchy but it's not polished either. Since when has the simple act of releasing an unbroken game been "polish"? That's not polish, that's the bare minimum, which is what Assault.

Polish is Warcraft III. Super Smash Bros. Melee. Ocarina of Time. No One Lives Forever 2. Even Star Fox Adventures was polished. This game is NOT polished...  

PS ian are you going to read all that advice I gave your pc gamepad thread or what?

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2005, 09:23:46 PM »
Hey, guess what?  They finally got it right on the last level.  Killer stage.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2005, 09:40:30 PM »
You know, I just can't get my mind off of what Rebel Strike could've been... And this game... bah oh well. games suck. I'm going to sleep.
Wake me when something good comes out.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2005, 10:29:44 PM »
Awesome impressions guys, i'm really looking forward to playing this! Looks like a game i'm going to like, but I did prefer the look it had back at E3 2003 much more than the new "polished" look, but I guess I can't really comment on that because I haven't played it.