Author Topic: EA Signs 15-year deal with ESPN  (Read 12631 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
EA Signs 15-year deal with ESPN
« on: January 17, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »
EA games with ESPN content to appear in 2006.

ESPN and EA Sign Agreement for Sports Games; Relationship to Integrate Content and Introduce New Sports Games

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 17, 2005--Electronic Arts (Nasdaq:ERTS) and ESPN today announced a long-term agreement for the development and integrated marketing of EA SPORTS games containing ESPN content. The relationship will include established EA SPORTS franchises -- which will be enhanced by ESPN telecast, print and online content -- as well as new sports games to be published by EA based on ESPN media properties. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

The agreement gives EA access to ESPN programming, personalities and integrated marketing opportunities on ESPN television programming and other ESPN properties. The ESPN integration will appear in EA SPORTS console, handheld, PC and wireless games beginning in 2006 upon the conclusion of ESPN's existing video game licensing commitments.

"EA and ESPN have a shared belief that adding ESPN content will improve an already outstanding line of games," said George Bodenheimer, President, ESPN Inc. and ABC Sports.

"This relationship was created to benefit consumers who are passionate about sports games," said Larry Probst, Electronic Arts Chairman and CEO. "EA SPORTS recreates the real life experience fans enjoy while watching or playing their favorite sport; while ESPN programming captures the look, sound and excitement of the sports they follow. Together, we believe we can significantly grow the interactive sports category."

The agreement is for fifteen years with an option to terminate after ten years under certain conditions and gives EA exclusive first rights to all ESPN content for simulation sports games.

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:EA Signs 15-year deal with ESPN
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 11:08:02 AM »
What bothers me is that no one is doing anything about this...I don't give a crap about sports games, they bore the hell out of me,
but this has to suck for innovation (not to mention competition) in that field. EA sucks more than ever now...they're becoming the Microsoft of videogames.

EDIT:
On the other hand though, this might force publishers to make sports games that are actually fun, so...
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 11:17:24 AM »
"And thus, EA did smite the challengers with a flash of brilliant light and a large sack of cold hard cash"

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: EA Signs 15-year deal with ESPN
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 11:32:16 AM »
MAKE IT STOP!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Chris1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »
I would imagine this kills sega's ESPN 2k series. This kind of sucks for sports fans. I'm not a big fan of sports games so I didn't really follow them, but I've heard a lot of people say the 2k series is better than EA's games.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 11:46:59 AM »
If I was alone when reading this I would have let out a primal scream like one would after finding the body of a loved one.

It's bad enough they ensured that Sega couldn't use the NFL.  It's bad enough they ensured that Sega couldn't use the arena football league as an alternative.  But now they're taking away the Sega Sports line's current brand name as well?  This is just sick.  It's like stabbing someone in the gut, killing the local doctor to prevent them from getting medical attention, and then cutting off their face for a mask so you can impersonate your victim as they slowly bleed to death.

Not only has all the work Sega has done trying to make their ESPN NFL2K a serious competitor been for nothing but now it's been for EA.  The lower price helped ESPN NFK2K gain some exposure in the mainstream market.  Now EA can reap the benefits of this by releasing their own ESPN NFL game which the mainstream may assume is the next game in the ESPN NFL series.  So in other words Sega has kickstarted a new franchise for EA.  It's like how Nintendo ended up kickstarting EA's Bond series.

I don't care what bonuses Nintendo puts into to EA's Cube titles, I will not buy any of them.  They could put a brand new full length Zelda game in an EA title and I wouldn't buy it.  

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 11:52:59 AM »
Sega will no doubt sell Viscarious Vissions the Sega Sports makers now...  
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline dafunkk12

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 12:37:50 PM »

Originally posted by: Savior
Sega will no doubt sell Viscarious Vissions the Sega Sports makers now...
You're thinking of Visual Concepts

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 12:37:57 PM »
EA is so jacked up. What jerks!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 12:50:03 PM »
And they just had to put Mario and gang in the new nba street.......Its such a struggle to boycot them now...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 12:54:00 PM »
You're thinking of Visual Concepts

your right... I still think they will sell them. Maybe Nintendo buys them.
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 12:57:57 PM »
I think that killing is wrong but EA needs to die by any means necessary.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 01:00:30 PM »
What about the NBA? Would it be possible for Sega to get an exclusive deal with them?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 01:08:43 PM »
The nba denied their initial offer.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline dafunkk12

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 01:16:51 PM »
Tiburon (aka EA Sports) is right here in Orlando.  I could stop by and leave a bomb....err, angry letter.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 01:29:18 PM »
Wow, this is getting ridiculous.  Talk about the big fish gobbling up the little fish.  I'm sure EA will buy the NBA license next, then probably the WNBA, then MLS...nobody can stop them, they're too rich.

I wonder what Visual Concepts is working on now?  They must be devastated.  EA might as well buy them too.  It'd be cool if Nintendo bought them though, maybe to make a series of Mario Sports titles.  As an aside, if you ever wonder why Nintendo didn't start a Nintendo Sports brand, this is probably it.  EA is too strong a competitior...it's easier to work with them than against them.

I have new mottos for EA:

Instead of "Challenge Everything" --> "Buy Everything"
Instead of "It's In The Game" --> "It's in the game, but it doesn't matter if it isn't, because there are no other games LOL"

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 01:33:37 PM »
God, what bastards...I wasn't a fan of EA before, and I don't give a damn about sports games, but this...this is too much. I'm waiting for a Anti-trust lawsuit to get slapped on them.
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 01:35:43 PM »
If EA had a collective penis, I'd chop it off.  Those bastards deserve the "ultimate punishment" as far as I'm concerned.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 02:21:43 PM »
The real sad part is that EA also own and refuse to make a new Mutant League Football game. C'mon you bastards. ;__;

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 02:51:59 PM »

It's bad enough they ensured that Sega couldn't use the NFL. It's bad enough they ensured that Sega couldn't use the arena football league as an alternative. But now they're taking away the Sega Sports line's current brand name as well? This is just sick. It's like stabbing someone in the gut, killing the local doctor to prevent them from getting medical attention, and then cutting off their face for a mask so you can impersonate your victim as they slowly bleed to death.

Exactly.

I hope EA overspends and their games bomb.  What worries me is the length of their contracts.  Sports fans won't get a real significant sequel until the contracts expire.

Plz let this be the last EA signing, i don't want EA buying out the peewee football license (15yr contract for a bag of skittles).

Visual Concepts still have the NBA game, hopefully they conentrate on that game and kill the NBA Live series.

Someone really needs to just Kill EA.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2005, 03:01:42 PM »
F-FIFTEEN years?  That's a hell of a long contract! I still say college football is the future of football video games, and this doesn'tn really affect my prediction, but EA is a genuine VILLAIN now.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Geos

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2005, 03:07:18 PM »
Well I guess i will boycott EA now. Thats not really a big deal however considering i own 17 GC games and none of them were made by EA. I only buy quality games, not that im implying anything about EA games of course...

In any case maybe this will even work out for the best. I see sports games as the main entry for casual gamers and as far as im concerned casual gamers are largely responsible for the negative changes i have been seeing in the game industry. Maybe if EA makes bad enough games casual gamers will stop spending money and stop playing games. Still its to bad that sports games fans will be going through a rough time...

Offline gally

• What 'chu talkin' 'bout Internet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2005, 03:10:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Geos
Well I guess i will boycott EA now. Thats not really a big deal however considering i own 17 GC games and none of them were made by EA.

Boycotts are only effective if you refuse to buy something you otherwise would have. Otherwise, nothing changes. If you don't buy something you didn't want anyway, you're not boycotting the company or the product.

The term "boycott" is so overused on the internet; it's like you people want rebellion without sacrifice. You want to rebel against EA for killing the competition, but you're not sacrificing anything since you wouldn't have bought their games anyway. That teaches them nothing.  

Offline Geos

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005, 03:15:39 PM »
True enough. There isnt much i can do other then talk my friends out of buying their games. I was considering getting FIFA though as i really wanted a soccer game but i wont anymore. So i guess i will just have to be content with that minor act.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005, 03:19:00 PM »
The juggernaut that is EA seems to have a voracious appetite. It will soon be no joke that if EA crashes, quite literally half the gaming industry will go with it.

There's been a rumor that EA's no longer interested in using Madden's likeness anymore. Couple it with this recent news, will we see EA ESPN NFL '06? Its very possible.

15 years? Wow. I guess ESPN really doesn't want to negotiate with anyone else. Even if EA doesn't get exclusivity to various sporting leagues, they'll get the presentation sports gamers are accustomed to. Hell, gamers of today will have kids in the future who'll play with the key words EA ESPN.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa