Author Topic: Sony & Nvidia to collaborate on PS3 grafix  (Read 1666 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Sony & Nvidia to collaborate on PS3 grafix
« on: December 07, 2004, 10:12:26 AM »
http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20041207/scei.htm  <--- Babel fish this for translation (its in japanese )

- Nvidia's Home Page

I don't know how many of you were wondering who was gonna make the grafix chip for PS3, since ATi has both Nintendo & my post is a train wreck, but now its official.

Is it 100% cell based?

What does this mean for Nvidia's next PC card?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
RE:Sony & Nvidia to collaborate on PS3 grafix
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 01:44:46 PM »
apparently Nvidia's stock has risen at least $2.00 after the news
& its also estimated that Nvidia is to recieve $5 per chip/PS3
If they were to sell PS3 like PS2 then that would be over $375 million

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Sony & Nvidia to collaborate on PS3 grafix
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 05:32:12 AM »
... which is pocket change for such a company and might barely cover the R&D costs.

I believe the PS3 won't use the Cell at all, there've been too many reports indicating the Cell won't be used there.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
RE:Sony & Nvidia to collaborate on PS3 grafix
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 11:34:18 AM »
Sony has hinted @ cell being in PS3, but nothing has been confirmed one way or the other

As for the $375+ million, that alot of money considering sony is in collaboration w/ NV to create this GPU, which means that Sony is covering some if not half or most of the cost of development.  That money should be nearly all profit especially if Sony were to manufacture it themselves.  (they built all those fabs for something right?)

p.s. If they were to work out their deal like N did w/ ATi, then there was also no mention of if they get a royalty off of each game sold.

I believe N gave ATi $2 per system and $.50 per game and that would tally out to a whole lotta $$$$$$$ in the end.