Author Topic: Nintendo really puzzles me  (Read 9130 times)

Offline foolish03

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo really puzzles me
« on: November 27, 2004, 11:09:36 AM »
Okay nintendo implemented one cart download for the mario64 DS multiplayer.  Thats great right?  People who dont have the cart can still play against their buddies.  So naturally you would expect those who have two individual copies of the game can hop right into the game without downloading anything.  Wrong, me and my brother tried like ten times.  Each time we play mario multiplayer with two carts one of us has to download the game.  Weird isnt it.  Did anybody else experiance this problem.  Im hoping I just dont know how to do it.
"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline Kunoichi

• View Profile
RE: Nintendo really puzzles me
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 01:03:05 PM »
I think thats just how the single cart games are set up. Multicart games, like metroid have everyone join through the game.  

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 01:21:11 PM »
You are foolish03.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
RE:Nintendo really puzzles me
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 02:30:57 PM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
You are foolish03.

Why call me foolish.  If your not going to add anything helpful or inciteful into the thread dont reply.  Why should I spend five minutes downloading multiplayer maps when I have the cart in my DS.  You should be able to host games and have people join up, as well as allow someone who DOESNT have the cart to download the game.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 02:51:27 PM »
I've heard that problem only happens with Super Mario 64 DS. Try it with Metroid Hunters or something else...

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 02:51:27 PM »
Don't feel alone, I spent some time trying this as well. I was also disapointed that you can't choose who you want to be in the MP, I hate collecting hats.

Another begging question that NOBODY has brought up, what the hell happened to the DS alarming you when another DS is nearby. I've tried this and it DOES not do anything.  

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 03:10:02 PM »
Its supposed to happen when the DS is in sleep mode.  They say it springs to life or something like that.  It hasnt alerted me when another DS is in the area yet.  I have two in my house so it should go off all the time.  

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 03:16:14 PM »
lol...all I was saying was that it's kind of impossible to just randomly start playing a DS game...unless it's already constantly downloading stuff...what is it, foolish?  Ten more clams for your DS, or you actually have to press the "Download" button?

Oh...and your last post, Nintendo of America just comfirmed they're first class @$$es, they announced they "didn't have enough time" to encorporate that "automatic wake-up" in the North American build of the DS.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 03:39:51 PM »

lol...all I was saying was that it's kind of impossible to just randomly start playing a DS game...unless it's already constantly downloading stuff...what is it, foolish?  Ten more clams for your DS, or you actually have to press the "Download" button?

Oh...and your last post, Nintendo of America just comfirmed they're first class @$$es, they announced they "didn't have enough time" to encorporate that "automatic wake-up" in the North American build of the DS.

Your not getting it are you.  Try and understand as I explain it to you.  In mario DS it downloads the multiplayer maps from the other system.  If you have two carts that means each person already has the maps(no need to download).  Of course when you play wirelessly the two games need to be SYNCHRONIZED.  I see no need to download maps you already have inside the system.  I never said I want to randomly play a ds multiplayer with someone.  Me and my brother both booted up mario.  We each went into the game and chose versus.  All it does is sit there waiting for players to join.  There is no option where one person can host while the other searches for a game.  The m hunters demo lets you do this.  Instead one person starts up the multiplayer while the other has to exit mario and choose "DS download play".  After you choose this it takes 6 or 7 minutes downloading the damn maps.  It all boils down to poor game design.  Everything else about mario is superb.  This is my only gripe.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 03:59:00 PM »

Hrm, couldn't this be fixed using a future update patch? Similar to the "Berry Upgrade" for Pokemon R/S?

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 04:03:46 PM »
God dammit! I was hoping for that too. Where did you read this?

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 04:10:39 PM »
Too bad Ds doesnt have some type of storage device.  If it did we could get patches via the wlan.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 04:25:55 PM »
It has some kind of storage device because it stores the setting you put in when you first turn the system on.  If it didn't, then we would be putting in those setting each time we turn the DS on.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2004, 04:32:33 PM »
double post

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2004, 05:13:56 PM »

Originally posted by: foolish03
Too bad Ds doesnt have some type of storage device. If it did we could get patches via the wlan. t

- GBA cartridge slot

developers can use the gba cartridge slot to create much more storage (potentially)  
I'll shut up now...

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 05:19:22 PM »

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim
It has some kind of storage device because it stores the setting you put in when you first turn the system on.  If it didn't, then we would be putting in those setting each time we turn the DS on.

Yeah thats the system bios.  I know in regular computers you cant add any type of additional programs to it(excluding the new virus' that take advantage of the bad hardware design).  The ram has 4mb of memory but that is cleared every time you turn it off. I wonder if nintendo will come out with an add on peripheral(an SD adapter or something like that), that will allow users to download patches and additional stages via the wireless kiosks they say theyll have.  That would be great.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 06:25:53 PM »
Now I'm getting it :-P

I thought you were referring to one-card play...sry, my bad.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 07:06:35 PM »

Now I'm getting it :-P

I thought you were referring to one-card play...sry, my bad.

No prob!

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2004, 04:46:25 AM »
No link, Kirby? Nice avatar, by the way. [disables GIF animation]
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2004, 10:10:37 AM »
Are you sure the detect was taken out? IGN said that if its your birth day it will send that to other DS to know that..

plus whats the message for then? the one you input when you input your nickname?

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2004, 11:02:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Perfect Cell
Are you sure the detect was taken out? IGN said that if its your birth day it will send that to other DS to know that..

plus whats the message for then? the one you input when you input your nickname?

Not sure.  I do know that from my own experiance it doesnt work.  Me and my brother have a ds and not once did it alet me know another ds was in the area.  Ill search to see if nintendo made some official announcements.  What I heard was only hearsay so im not for sure if they took it out of american DS's.

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2004, 01:12:53 PM »
I've been hearing a lot of people say that Nintendo took it out and the Japanese release will have it. I really want to know why because that was such a promising feature.

Offline JGarcia050

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2004, 01:38:24 PM »
I thought that if two people wanted to play a DS game, only 1 person would need to have a cartrigde while the other downloads it. But thats not true. I have Mario 64 DS, Madden, and the Metroid demo, and only mario 64 uses the 1 cartridge download system (i don't know about any other games). You need 2 cartridges for the other 2 games. My brother brought home madden the other day and i was so excited that we can play together via the DS download, but i read that u needed 2 cartridges for multiplayer and was pissed.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2004, 03:45:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Perfect Cell

My birtday was on the 21st, the same day the DS came out, and I bought it as a birtday present for myself. After turning on the system and setting up all the configurateions, I went to check out picto-chat.  Right when I entered a chatroom, a message showed up saying that it was my birthday.  I was actually surprised that it did that, although no one else was in the room to care.  And yes, the name was the name you inputted for you nickname.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2004, 04:48:50 PM »

Originally posted by: JGarcia050
I thought that if two people wanted to play a DS game, only 1 person would need to have a cartrigde while the other downloads it. But thats not true. I have Mario 64 DS, Madden, and the Metroid demo, and only mario 64 uses the 1 cartridge download system (i don't know about any other games). You need 2 cartridges for the other 2 games. My brother brought home madden the other day and i was so excited that we can play together via the DS download, but i read that u needed 2 cartridges for multiplayer and was pissed.

It only uses one cart downloads if the developer programs it that way.  Im guessing the games with larger multiplayer will not utilize this feature.  It might be too much memory for the DS's ram.  Marios multiplayer is only four small stages(its still quite fun though).  Im not sure why metroid needs two carts to play multiplayer.