Author Topic: Famitsu talks to Miyamoto  (Read 12342 times)

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Famitsu talks to Miyamoto
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2004, 11:19:11 PM »
MMORPGs certainly have potential, just so far their mean ammount of interesting gameplay seems to be roughly the same as any other game: 20-30 hours worth. There will always be people who spend many more hours trying to squeeze blood from a stone, to use a cliche, but these people are a minority.

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2004, 01:14:18 AM »
Truthfully if I see any game going online for the Revolution, or the first game I see going online would have to be the next Super Smash Bros.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2004, 01:41:20 AM »
"I wasn't impressed with Mario Kart DD either, it seemed like more of the same only without some of the little things that I thought mad eMario Kart 64 fun. "

Being unimpressed by something and calling something a half-assed cookie-cutter sequel are two different things.  Me and my buds buds thought it was way more fun than MK64.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2004, 04:07:43 AM »
Just another highlight, Mario Baseball is a joint effort with Namco.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm probably the billionth person to say this, but Pokémon was made to be an MMORPG.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2004, 07:20:38 AM »
Yeah, it already HAS the levelling threadmill and item (or monster) hunting, just with enough story to get you through most of it without much repetition.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2004, 11:13:34 AM »
but Pokémon was made to be an MMORPG.

Id love to see it too, but hell just make Pokemon Stadium online and that would sell like hot cakes...  

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2004, 12:13:31 PM »
I hope Nintendo have the foresight to jump on this opertunity.  A MMORPG of Pokemon will sell unheard of numbers and will ensure that Pokemon will be around for another 4+ yrs.  They better get that done now before the Pokemon fad ends.  I know its been goin strong for yrs now but everything eventually comes to an end.  For them to release a MMORPG of pokemon when the franchise is on its last legs would be a loss in potential, a big loss in potential sales too.
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2004, 12:46:19 PM »
The Pokemon fad is already over.  The series is now selling because people like it.  At least that's my opinion.  You don't hear news stories about kids stabbing each other over Pokemon cards, or about the huge opening day of the new Pokemon movie.

I'm a little worried about Mario 128 on Cube.  I'll be happy to play it on any system, but it would make perfect sense for Nintendo to put that game on the Revolution.  Then again, maybe it wouldn't.  If the game isn't built for whatever Nintendo has in mind for Revolution, then an all-new Mario game would be better.  I just don't know if they have the time and energy for an all-new game.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2004, 05:16:16 PM »
A bit more on topic...

I don't think sacrificing Mario now for the sake of the cube and possible leaving the Rev Marioless is a bad thing. Remember that old debate about which series was the best, Mario or Zelda...well the edge has been Zelda's this generation. I mean can you imagine at the next E3 what the crowd reaction would be to promo video of a "mature, realistic" MARIO game? "oooh look at that mustache!" and "Ahhhh, bravo! What a magnifently "adult" looking fat, gross, italian plumber guy!"

No way. Zelda rules the roost so far as the hype machine goes. Which is what launch time is all about, hype. I'm much more worried about the potential lack of Zelda from the Rev launch than the lack of Mario.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2004, 05:58:08 PM »
A new Mario isn't necessary for the Revolution launch.  But the Cube didn't launch with Mario and that was a bad idea right?  Well not necessarily.  The Cube's problem was not that it had no Mario but that its flagship launch title SUCKED.  No Mario is okay provided there's a different killer app present.  In fact it might be good to not launch with Mario for once just to show the naysayers that the Revolution is going to be something new instead of just more of the same.  It's a chance for Nintendo to create something brand new to appeal to a new generation, much like MS did with Halo.

Maybe that's their plan.  Maybe they don't have a plan.  Maybe they still will have a new Mario at launch.  Maybe they're setting up third party killer apps for launch.  Who knows?  But they'll be alright provided they have at least one must own title available at launch.

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2004, 06:23:24 PM »
What sort of launch title could EAD provide that would have a major 'wow' factor though? Mario, Zelda and Metriod games all will have been recently released. Original games are a real gamble for Nintendo, I mean they're usually great, but often not so appealing to the broader market.

The only thing I could think of is an F-Zero game; they lend themselves well to having flashy graphics. Pikmin could show off the hardware, with hundreds of the little guys running around, but it's hardly a well known franchise yet.

Offline Procession

• View Profile
RE:Famitsu talks to Miyamoto
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2004, 06:42:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Caillan
What sort of launch title could EAD provide that would have a major 'wow' factor though?

Mario is Missing 2: Mario has gone missing again. Nintendo could own E3 with that one.

New Smash Bros. with online would be a good second best though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2004, 07:05:21 PM »
well they brought back Metroid, due to years upon years of fan requested/groveling/begging.

Maybe the next kicker in their plan is to bring back Kid Icarus, (remember that capcom game that was never confirmed canceled but never actually spoken of again either) they could be prepping up some major revamp of a really old school title to make its 3d debut on the Rev.

Nintendo has been trying to redo their image and one good way to start is to listen to what people(developers & consumers alike) want and react accordingly. Its worked so far for Sony.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2004, 07:16:05 PM »
A Pokemon MMORPG would sell well to the pedophile demographic.

Also, these Nintendo DS scores were in the same issue of Famitsu (trying to make this topic about DS, since it's in DS discussion )

Sawaru Made in Wario (NDS, Nintendo): 9 / 9 / 8 / 10 - (36/40)
Super Mario 64 (NDS, Nintendo): 9 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (30/40)
Feel the Magic: XY/XX (NDS, Sega): 8 / 9 / 7 / 9 - (33/40)
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits (NDS, Namco): 8 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Pokemon Dash (NDS, Nintendo): 8 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (31/40)
The Urbz: Sims in the City (NDS, EA): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Zoo Keeper (NDS, Ignition): 9 / 6 / 7 / 6 - (28/40)
Tendo Dokuta (NDS, Spike): 7 / 8 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Daigasso! Band Brothers (NDS, Nintendo): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
Chokkan Hitofude (NDS, Nintendo): 8 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (31/40)
Zunou ni Asekaku Game Series! Vol. 1: Cool 104 Joker & Setline (NDS, Aruze): 7 / 4 / 5 / 5 - (21/40)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2004, 08:15:10 PM »
"What sort of launch title could EAD provide that would have a major 'wow' factor though? Mario, Zelda and Metriod games all will have been recently released. Original games are a real gamble for Nintendo, I mean they're usually great, but often not so appealing to the broader market."

Well like Mario mentioned Pokemon would be a good choice.  It doesn't even have to do be an MMORPG (realistically they couldn't pull off a major online title at launch anyway).  A 3D Pokemon RPG that plays similar to the classic Gameboy games would be great.

But it doesn't have to be a franchise game.  Every franchise had to start somewhere.  Halo is huge and it was brand new when the Xbox launched.  The Xbox's success can be traced back to one original title.  If you want to go back further Sonic the Hedgehog managed to successfully combat Mario with his first game.  Mortal Kombat was THE game when it was released and again it was a new game.  These things have to start somewhere.  Nintendo can launch with something brand new as the flagship title as long as it's a GOTY calibre game,  it has a cool look that people immediately are attracted to, and Nintendo hypes the crap out of it like MS did with Halo.  That would take some effort to pull off but it's perfectly doable.

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2004, 02:32:12 AM »
Bill, I'm still wanting to read this interview...

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2004, 02:44:17 AM »

What sort of launch title could EAD provide that would have a major 'wow' factor though

Id love to see something from Retro thats not a metroid Prime game  

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2004, 12:42:32 PM »
From our friend Rancid's site:

http://www.nintendo-reloaded.com/modules.php?module=article&id=123

The transcript.

EDIT: Reading through it, I found something no one's mentioned...we all knew it was coming but Miyamoto had this to say about Animal Crossing online:

"Yeah, because of our cooperation with Square-Enix, [Smiles] I think there’ll be a hint hidden in Animal Crossing [DS]."

EDIT 2: Apparently, the new Pokémon game isn't with one "strong ally," but several...

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2004, 01:36:57 PM »
Its a five hour CG movie of your character doing his actions.  Whenever we dig a hole there'll be CG scene that last minutes showing us the struggles of digging that hole.  then we have to save the world.

Offline Procession

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2004, 02:08:48 PM »
Who else is hot for E3 next year then? More Zelda, more Pokeman, more DS and more of the humbly-titled Revolution. Sounds pretty good to me.

Offline 150starpower

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2004, 04:14:26 AM »
I'm just waiting for Pictochat to go online, then i wouldnt have to go to yahoo chat rooms anymore.