Author Topic: Intrested in FF:CC  (Read 20392 times)

Offline Zeth

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Intrested in FF:CC
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2003, 06:08:43 PM »
how could you only be interested in 2 ps2 games! and who buys a system and then returns it 2 days later!
crazy nut!

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2003, 06:59:11 PM »
well i thought i wanted more, i bought GTA3, played the missions, and was dissapointed, wasn't my thing i guess.  I was using my friends before so i had just about finished FFX.  The other game was dark cloud, which i really enjoyed.  I wish i could play Xenosaga and Rachet and Clank though.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2003, 07:48:53 PM »

Originally posted by: theaveng
What does FF6 (akaFF3-US) have that FF7/9 do not?  (just curious)  I've played FF6 and it was a very good game, but I didn't think it was superior to FF7 or FF9.  What does FF6 have that makes it so outstanding in your mind?

Also would you rate FF4 (akaFF2-US) beter or worse than FF7/9?  (again just curious)

I haven't checked this topic in so long; this response may be a bit late, but here it goes. (hopefully the question was directed at me)

The main reason I liked FF6 over 7 and 9 was the story and characters.  Gameplay wise I liked all the Final Fantasy games (except 8 wasn't my thing; too slow and monotonous for me.) FF6's story and characters were a good blend of deep and simple.  There are magical beings, known as Espers, and an evil empire wants to suck out their magic to conquer the world. (That is the short version.)  When FF7 went on the whole "save the planet/sprit of the earth" thing I was just waiting for Captain Planet and the planeteers to show up.  And there were parts of the story that did not seem fleshed out or explained enough to me, such as the ancients and their origin and such.
The character's lacked the same charm that the old ones had in my opinion.  Part of the problem is the newer Final Fantasies are moving to more movie like presentations, no longer presented in sprite animations and text boxes, but in cut scenes and such.  This thematic direction is not a problem to me in and of itself, but it just throws the story of the game even further into the foreground, thus making the flaws or weak spots in the stories all the more visible and dissapointing.  The newer generation of Final Fantasies just reek of the same crap they used to make the "Spirits Within" storyline.  That was not a good movie story wise, and as the games become more akin to movies, that kind of thing won't cut it.  
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2003, 08:37:32 PM »
Speaking from a purely visual standpoint, this game looks terrifically beautiful.  The character designs are warm and charming, the landscapes are sharp (one of the latest shots I saw had tall green grass and a covered wagon or something--really nice), the magic effects are some of the better I've seen, and it has a very cinematic feel to it.  Seriously, those character designs are wonderful.  From this standpoint, I am very, very excited about this sucker.  As for the gameplay and story, I have no idea, I haven't read much on it, and I don't care.  I'll play it and let you know then.  ;-)

By the way, Grey Ninja, your FF list's number 1 was perfect.  Call it nostalgia, but those two are the best.  I simply cannot imagine appreciating Final Fantasy without adoring FF 2/4 and 3/6 (darn it, this gets complicated...haha).  I'll never forget playing FF3/6 for the first time and seeing that beautiful, snowy mode-7 into as the city drew nigh and the best song Nobuo ever wrote faded in slowly, perfectly in-sync with the on-screen graphics.  No polished cinematic Square has done since has matched that magic.  If you ask me.  Just thinking about it makes me want to boot it up again.  I think I will, with the stereo up really, really loudly.  FF6--best music of any videogame, period.  
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2003, 09:46:38 PM »
If you want to check out some new screenshots and information on FF:CC, go to The Magic Box.  It's looking better and better with each batch of shots, imho.
Why you call me, Grimlock, stupid?  Me not stupid!

--from the Transformers G1 episode "Grimlock's New Brain", where he gets really smart and creates the Technobots

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2003, 10:48:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Sean
By the way, Grey Ninja, your FF list's number 1 was perfect.  Call it nostalgia, but those two are the best.  I simply cannot imagine appreciating Final Fantasy without adoring FF 2/4 and 3/6 (darn it, this gets complicated...haha).  I'll never forget playing FF3/6 for the first time and seeing that beautiful, snowy mode-7 into as the city drew nigh and the best song Nobuo ever wrote faded in slowly, perfectly in-sync with the on-screen graphics.  No polished cinematic Square has done since has matched that magic.  If you ask me.  Just thinking about it makes me want to boot it up again.  I think I will, with the stereo up really, really loudly.  FF6--best music of any videogame, period.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still remembers the golden era, where Square ruled all.  

RahXephon, might I suggest ePSXe?  I finished Xenogears using it, and only had some minor problems.  If your PC is up to the task, then it shouldn't be much problem.  I can help you through the parts that crash the emulator.  Trust me though, you can't go wrong by buying the discs if you can find them anywhere.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2003, 05:13:20 AM »
actually, through an extremely odd turn of events, i do own the discs for xenogears.  An i am intrested in this ePSXe thing.

Anyway you guys see the new screen on the PGC Home Page.  THERE ARE HEARTS.  I don't think it is a wild guess to say that they are not hitpoints.  I am starting to doubt that you lvl up in this game.  Of course i still want it, but i will be terribly sad if i cant lvl up/
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2003, 06:19:22 AM »
Those new PGC screens are great, but its slowly looking more and more like a game thats only fun (if not playable) with a GBA.
I really hope thats not the case, for the controls sake alone.
Ofcourse it would be a reason(on of thousands) to buy a GBA, but it could IMO hurt sales.
LZ 2005

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2003, 06:53:36 AM »
I don't think they've described what those hearts are for yet.  They could indicate life, like Zelda, or they could be for something else entirely.  Magic, power, how much you love your character...

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2003, 07:00:50 AM »
well, my theory is that they are the health, and that each character is given a certain amount depending on their abilities.  The main guy has three, he is probably medium speed with okay melee and okay magic abilities.  The one with 4 hearts probably cant use magic(or only use certain spells), but has a very high melee, and i would imagine him to be slow.  And the one with one heart would be very weak melee, but real magical and real fast.  It would add some balance to the game.  I would also assume you could purchase more hearts as the game goes on.  But as it is, i don't see anything else that looks like a HP bar.
And as far as GC-GBA connectivity goes, i got the link cable early on, cause i knew there would come a time when i would need it.
And how can you NOT own a GBA.  It has so many good games.
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2003, 07:16:25 AM »
Well i tried translating the words on the yellow spiral thingy.  It appears they are just names
on the first pic, the girl in the top right is something like RISORYU, and on the bottom, RASUTIA.  anyway, it has been a while sine i used Katakana, so i'm probably a bit of.  However i looked up the words and they don't seem to exist.  Soe ither a spell name or character name i would guess.
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2003, 08:28:58 AM »

Originally posted by: RahXephon

And how can you NOT own a GBA.  It has so many good games.

Yes you can, and that is if you have a limited amount of money to spend, and rather invest that in a few cube games. Im gonna get a job though so I can buy a GBA SP but I really hope the controls wont suck, I dont want to play a 3d game with a D-Pad.
LZ 2005

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2003, 11:30:54 AM »

actually, through an extremely odd turn of events, i do own the discs for xenogears.  An i am intrested in this ePSXe thing.

Well, head over to here and download ePSXe 1.5.2

head over here and get Pete's GPU plugins (1.68).  Use the OpenGL plugin if you have an nVidia card, and the D3D if you have an ATI card.  You can also pick up the CDR plugin if you wish.  It's the one that I use, but the default one works pretty good too.

go here to get the Eternal SPU 1.20.  It's about the best SPU plugin for ePSXe, and is also the one I use.

After you do that, you are all set to go, except for one thing.  PM me if you need help with that, as it is not something to be discussed on this board.   Once you do get it up and running though, I assure you that the picture quality is far better than you could ever expect to come up with on the PS2.  The graphics are nice and crisp, and you can play with all kinds of cool settings to make everything look nice.

If you need help configuring your plugins, let me know, and I will help.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2003, 11:52:16 AM »
wow, thanks a real lot man, i gotta a big ol paper due for Modern Philosophy tommorow, so i will try and get some stuff workd on, why don't you email me, it is under my profile, that way it would be more efficient than the PM's.  Thanks again.
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2003, 02:42:41 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
Since someone asked, I thought I would give a list of my favorite Final Fantasy games, in order.

1)  Final Fantasy VI/IV  (Tie for first place)
2)  Final Fantasy Tactics
3)  Final Fantasy VII
4)  Final Fantasy I
5)  Final Fantasy V
6)  Final Fantasy IIIj
7)  Final Fantasy VIII
8)  Final Fantasy IIj
9)  Final Fantasy IX
10)  Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

AlphaDragoon, it would seem that you and I are wishing for exact opposites in Crystal Chronicle.  I hope that through some miraculous act we are both pleased with the end result, but I really have to shake my head at your taste.  There's just no accounting for it.  

As for Secret of Mana on GameCube, word has it that Brownie Brown (makers of Seiken Densetsu (Mana)) series are working on a GameCube game.  Maybe we will see something at E3?

Why is there no accounting for it...?  Just because I like the new FF games better?  Don't get me wrong-I think FFIV (2 here in the US) is one of the best in the series, and FFV was awesome.  I just hate FFVI, and I think most of the new FF's (except for IX) were superior to the older ones, especially FF Tactics and FFVIII.  I guess it's just a difference in opinion, but it's known to happen.

BTW, I also think that Xenogears is the best RPG ever made.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power...its burning grip tells me to defeat you!!!"

-Domon, G Gundam

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2003, 02:58:34 PM »

when i play an Rpg, i look for 1 very important element, story.  To me the rpg is like a living anime epic.  The story doesn't have to be huge, just well told.  And out of the story, my favorite part is the romance involved.  Like in FFIX, i thought Dagger and Zidan had the best example of an in game love story i have ever seen.  I played the game through just to watch it develope.  I smiled my biggest smile ever when the cutscene came where Zidan swung and saved Dagger.  VIII also had an awsome love story.  X's was ok, but I died alittle inside when Aries died in VII.  However in answer to my favorite, I withhold an opinion.  I think each game had a story that was worth playing to see.  This is also why i put in the general post Grandia II on dreamcast as my fav game of all time.  It's all about the story.
Oh yeah, and i found no problem with any of the games gameplay.  When i say i am a FF fan i mean it.  It has been too long since i played the old ones so i can't remeber much, but i did play the japanese ones that werent released in america.
Anyway, that game better get on the shelves soon, and i mean it.  I just pray for a good plot, with better characters.

i agree with you all the way... grandia 2 had one of the better love stories told through an rpg
i really couldn't say what my favorite rpg is of all time though
there are many good ones but one that stands out is a very underrated game--- valkyrie profile
not only does it have one of the best battle systems of an rpg, the game has lots of depth
the story to some was not that great, but if you played through to get the best ending, it all gets tied together
the ever lasting love between lucian and platina really set the story
that game may have some of the best characterization in an rpg ever

enought about valkyrie though.... my top rpgs of all time are:
valkyrie profile, chrono trigger, grandia 1+2, final fantasy 6 (the best final fantasy), final fantasy 7, skies of arcadia, xenogears, and of course earthbound!

i think final fantasy cc looks pretty good- it really does look like a mana game
hopefully this is really how it works out  
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2003, 06:09:28 PM »
Crystal Cronicles is looking more and more interesting.  I love the visual style. However, the "baby face"  design of the human characters I don't like too much.  It is not a big complaint at all, almost a non-issue.  What I am really curious about is the GBA conectivity, and what role will it play; will it be optional or not?  If it is not optional, I am sure that the A, B, L, and R buttons will be enough, but I agree with Hemmorrhoid in that I would rather use the Cube's control stick than the GBA's d-pad.  But if it does require the GBA, it could open some interesting possibilities, such as all menu selection and spell selection and such taking place on the GBA, so it does not crowd the TV screen; each player could then access his personal menu without having to pause the game and everyone else.  From the screen shots, this scenario seems to be close to the truth.  It will be interesting to see exactly how the game works and plays.
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2003, 06:12:39 PM »
It could simply be that there are two modes to play the game in.  One where the GBA is optional, and one where it is required.  (ala Perfect Dark and the Expansion Pack).  But since we know dick all aobut the game, I suppose it's better not to speculate.  I can't wait for E3 though.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2003, 06:18:33 PM »
you know calibretto, i think all N RPG's should use the GBA as an "opptional" menu.  It would be sop cool to just look at your stats while you are playing, or use items on the fly.  
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline snorgasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2003, 12:59:37 AM »
with some new details trickling out about this game.. it seems that the game will have a super mega focus on teamwork and multiplayer.. apparently using a gameboy as a controller is practically required as it delivers messages to each individual player and communicating these messages with the people you play with will help you progress in the game...

graphically, the game looks fantastic.. glad to see they kept the game in a fantasy realm as opposed to a more sci-fi realm like more recent FF games have been.. nevertheless, i can't help but feel disappointed that instead of getting an epic story driven rpg, we'll be getting a gimmicky and possibly quite shallow experience in crystal chronicles...

i'm gonna go ahead and make a few assumptions:

1) the game will be short..

2) the story will be thin

3) progress will be made in a linear path... go from point a to point b.. no REAL overworld map to explore...

4) gameplay will be simplistic.. there doesn't seem to be HP or MP.. there are heart containers for health, doesn't seem to be a magic meter... two-button control scheme.. no mention of character skill upgrading of any kind.. will there even be a status screen?

but i guess we'll hafta wait till e3 before we will know for sure...  
-- COMMODE7 - we write about videogames.. or something...

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2003, 01:04:40 AM »
snorgasmo you are being extremely pessimistic, theres too little known to jump to conclusions
and since when where FF games not linear? Sure, they werent really totally linear, but you always had a fixed path you could go on(but i might be wrong havent played much FF yet)
LZ 2005

Offline snorgasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2003, 01:38:28 PM »
i know i may be sounding quite pessimistic about the game, but realize that i've been a fan of final fantasy games since final fantasy "2" was released for the snes.. it's kinda depressing watching the series slip into such mediocrity...

as for the linear nature of the FF games, i don't think so.. you often had a whole world map to explore at your leisure... you were given hints of where you had to go next, but never was the path totally paved for you..

i really just hope this game has a good single player experience.. i like playing these games at my own pace... plus none of my friends really like rpgs
-- COMMODE7 - we write about videogames.. or something...

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2003, 03:34:05 PM »
i have a feeling the game will play a lot like the secret of mana titles-
it will have a decent story (nothing earth shattering)
the computer will control the other characters and people can just plug in a controller and press start to take control of the character
i would guess the game would be of an average length for an rpg (about 25-30 good hours)
and the game may have multiple paths
this is all speculation as i have not seen enough to make a good distinction
hopefully it will help in sales of gc's and bring square back to nintendo
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2003, 04:23:13 PM »
Yeah, I have been getting the distinct feeling that this is a Seiken Densetsu clone with the Final Fantasy name tacked on.  I guess I can't really complain about that though, as Final Fantasy Adventure was the start of the Seiken Densetsu series.  

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2003, 04:32:03 PM »
Hey... basically they are the probably going to be the same.  I can't wait to see what there going to do with the GBA connectivity.  It seems pretty cool, hopefully it won't flop.  This game will tell Square if they should continue on....