Author Topic: Is someone at NOA somking something they need to be sharing?  (Read 7837 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Is someone at NOA somking something they need to be sharing?
« on: October 09, 2004, 04:22:45 AM »
I had a strange problem with my Gamecube the other day (a completly "blank" save file on one of my memory cards... No name, date or anything except that it said it took up eight blocks of memory... weird, eh?) so I called NoA's 1.800 number to see if they had any ideas what caused it.

Anyway, the gentleman and I were talking about what all I used on my Game Cube and he had me check all of my memory cards and controllers to make sure they were "official" products.  Which they are.  Except for one.  I mentioned that I had the Hori Digitial Controller.  The gentleman I spoke with asked if I had imported that and I said yes.  He said (not exact quotes here...) "Okay, because I don't think that has been released here yet."  "Yet?" I asked.  He replied, telling me that he thinks it's going to be released here in the states next month...

Anyone heard of this?  Or was this guy just pulling my leg?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Is someone at NOA somking something they need to be sharing?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 05:14:25 AM »
Pulling you leg.  NOA hasn't even let people know the GB player exist.  There are no commercials for it anymore, no advertisements in magazines or stores, and it still cost as much as a new game.  If they dropped the price then maybe we'll see a hori pad release.  I'd wrather have those kick-butt SFII controllers that PS2 has.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 05:26:23 AM »
Well, considering it's not an official product, I'd say pulling you're leg.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 05:44:03 AM »
I thought the Hori pad was an offically licensed third party product?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline kratos

• View Profile
RE:Is someone at NOA somking something they need to be sharing?
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 01:32:11 PM »
I haven't seen any from Hori, but I have two from Pelican.  They're great.  $9.98 each.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 03:54:39 PM »
Actually, I was watching some show on G4 not too long ago, and they actually had a rep from Hori showing off some controllers. The digital pad for the Cube was one of them and the Hori guy (...) said that they were actually trying to get it released in the US by the end of the year...

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 06:37:18 PM »
You know there's no reason for an NOA guy to lie to you. He could be mistaken but I doubt he was "pulling your leg."

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 07:38:13 AM »
>the Hori guy (...) said that they were actually trying to get it released in the US by the end of the year..

Hmm... Interesting.  I hope so... I wouldn't mind picking up another one...

>You know there's no reason for an NOA guy to lie to you. He could be mistaken but I doubt he was "pulling your leg."

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean that badly.  I love Nintendo's customer service reps* on their 800# and their e-mail.  While they may not always have the best answers, they're always friendly and usually helpful.

*There is one exception to this, and that was a guy at the 800# who's name was "Fred".  He was an asshat.  He called me a liar and said that you cannot play the DX version of Link's Awakening on the Super Game Boy.  When I know for certian you can.  Unfortunatly, I had just moved into my apartment and didn't have all my equiptment with me at the time, so I wasn't able to hook it up right then (not that I have a video phone or such...)  But sure enough, I checked it out as soon as I got my stuff together and, guess what, it worked.  This guy really ticked me off...  He was all "I've worked for Nintendo for 15 years sir and 'The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakeing DX' is ONLY for the Game Boy Color and will not work on the Super Game Boy.".  Yes, it does.

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 11:07:03 AM »
LOL @ Fred...Maybe the guy was wrong so he wasnt pulling ur leg at all.
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 12:50:19 PM »
I have a Hori pad, the one that looks like a Snes controller and haven't noticed any blank save files on any of my memory cards.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 02:25:55 PM »
Super GameBoy = Classic GameBoy (with some extras that have never been seen again, and no link port).

Link's Awakening DX was a Classic GameBoy game (Link's Awakening, of course), with GBC enhancements. Or perhaps, a GBC game that could be played on a regular GB.

The GBC coloring of the game was not available with the Super GameBoy (something which a lot of people could never seem to get a handle on), and the extra color-themed "DX Dungeon" (or whatever it was called) could not be entered with either the Classic GameBoy or the Super GameBoy.

So in a sense, you couldn't really play "Link's Awakening DX" on the Super GameBoy, it would only really be "Link's Awakening".

Except that Link's Awakening DX was also enhanced for the Super GameBoy. It had a special "four shades of green" color palate it would automatically select, and it had special artwork around the border of the screen.

I'd guess that "Fred" was probably just having a bad day, and was tired of trying to explain to people how the older Super GameBoy wasn't designed to play not-yet-invented GameBoy Color products, even though "Yeah but my TV can display a whole bunch of colors. Why can't it play the GBC? The cartrige fits in the slot. It should work but it doesn't. Why can't you fix it? You suck."
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 04:50:54 PM »
I don't have a Hori pad and I have experienced this "ghost file" problem before. So it can't be the controller, at least probably not.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 05:23:18 PM »
>I'd guess that "Fred" was probably just having a bad day, and was tired of trying to explain to people how the older Super GameBoy wasn't designed to play not-yet-invented GameBoy Color products, even though "Yeah but my TV can display a whole bunch of colors. Why can't it play the GBC? The cartrige fits in the slot. It should work but it doesn't. Why can't you fix it? You suck."

I might go for that idea... Except for the time frame this happened in...
See, I had my little run-in with "Fred" when the Game Boy Player (GCN) was released.  I called wanting to know if there was any way to get the special Super Game Boy borders to show up when running them on the Game Boy Player (Since the GBPlayer has boarders, I thought there was a chance something was programmed in).  So, I'm guessing Fred hadn't gotten many calls that particular day (or year...) about playing GBC games on the Super Game Boy.

Although, Apparently, he's worked for NoA for 15+ years, so maybe over the years, he's gotten quite a few phone calls about it...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 05:12:47 AM »
I wish the GBC/GBA/GBP supported the SGB color schemes, my favourite GB game was a launch title for the SGB (Donkey Kong)

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2004, 01:57:17 PM »
that ghost file is probably just the format file on the memory card, theres a reason the numbers are so odd, the real numbers are actually the usual power of 2 (64, 256, 1024) but the format file is 5 blocks, which is why its 59, 251 and 1019 respectively.

Of coures, the format file is only 5 blocks, no clue where the other 8 would be.  

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2004, 09:13:07 AM »
And thats why we always get odd numbered memory cards.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 09:59:15 PM »
I think it's more akin to a file system error (incomplete write process). The filesystem itself shouldn't show up.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 08:08:08 AM »
Strangly enough...

http://www.nintendo.com/cpp/forums/login.jsp?referer=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.nintendo.com%2Fnintendo%2Fboard%2Fpost%3Fboard.id%3Dlegacy%26message.reply_to_id%3D20419

Some guy on the offical Nintendo forums says this controller is being released stateside in November... ?

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 11:30:29 AM »
Yeah, i was gonna mention before (but forgot the title of the thread ) in the November issue of Nintendo Power, theres a mention of the contoller being released in November for $15.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004, 01:03:15 PM »
Oh wonderful.  More than a year AFTER decent d-pad worthy games like Soul Calibur II and Mega Man Network Transmission came out.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2004, 06:37:22 PM »
and Mega man Anniversary Collection, Sonic Mega Collection, Midway Arcade Treasures 1 and 2, Legend of Zelda, Zelda II

I'll buy 2 plzkthx.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 11:47:36 AM »
Was this topic fake? I'd really like to get those controllers...
- Bartman

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2004, 12:04:22 PM »
Nope. Not fake. Here's the quote from the latest volume of Nintendo Power (issue 186, with MP2 on the cover).

Page 22 (the third page of Game Watch):

GET A GRIP ON OLD SCHOOL CONTROL
With the likes of Metroid coming in the second wave of the Classic NES Series (due October 25), gamers who enjoy GBA titles via the GCN's GameBoy Player may get nostalgic for the pre-joystick era of console control. Now there's a solution-Hori has tailored it's Digital Game Pad for use with the GBA. The controller has a larger control pad, among other nips and tucks. Hori plans to release it in black and indigo in November for $14.99 MSRP.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2004, 04:54:11 PM »
So, has anyone spotted these yet? Its about halfway through the month and I havent seen them, yet.
- Bartman

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2004, 06:26:20 PM »
Well, just incase someone was following this thread and they don't happen to catch it, apparently a rep from Hori came and posted here - http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=11133&STARTPAGE=1

Yay!  Hori Digital Controllers for everyone (who wants to buy them for themselves, of course!)