Author Topic: PSP PRICE ANNOUNCED!!!  (Read 90485 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:ITT: PSP Discussion
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2005, 04:12:02 PM »

I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that.

to Quote PC-Engine from B3D Forums

Heh it's not the position of the gate...it's the position of deadbolt that doesn't align with the hole on the frame therefore forcing you to push the gate harder in order for the lock to work.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: ITT: PSP Discussion
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2005, 08:19:14 PM »
"This is the design that we came up with. There may be people that complain about its usability, but that's something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to. ... The button's location is [architectured] on purpose. It's according to specifications. This is something that we've created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake."

What a load of sh!t.  Translation: we made a piece of crap portable but we're Sony DAMMIT and we do whatever we want so you'll just have to f*cking deal with it.  Intentional my ass.  So Sony this means that you're either lying about f*cking up or you're just really incompetant.  So which is it?  Liar or dumbass?  Sony likely just made the mistake early on, hoped no one would notice, and are now acting like it was intentional in what is probably an attempt to justify not replacing defective units.  I mean if a blatant error is intentional it's not a defect, right?

The thing that bugs me is realistically this won't do sh!t.  Nintendo's too wimpy to manipulate this in their marketing and most people just plain aren't going to know.  Sony has made worthless sh!tty hardware for two generations and people have just accepted it so they'll accept this too.

If Nintendo did this Sony would mention it in ads and every gaming journalist in the world would jump all over it.  But because it's Sony it will slide under the radar.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2005, 09:00:21 PM »
Perhaps it will create more attention when the PSP sees its US launch. So far people only know what the media tell them about the PSP in Japan.

EDIT: Matching Sinfest comic.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2005, 12:14:57 AM »

Intentional my ass. So Sony this means that you're either lying about f*cking up or you're just really incompetant. So which is it? Liar or dumbass?

Have you seen the picture lately? It was clearly intentional. It took effort. They did it on purpose.

Kutaragi explained it right here:

"I didn't want the PSP's LCD screen to become any smaller than this, nor did I want its machine body to become any larger."

1. Big screen? Check.
2. People said the plastic shell looked "sexy"? Check.
1+2 = Not enough room for buttons? Ehh.. who cares? Screw the buttons.
Launch system!!!

Edit: IGN PSP

Kutaragi revealed that Sony Computer Entertainment does consider these button problems to be a manufacturing problem and will repair the systems. Of the current shipped PSP units, SCE has so far repaired 0.6% due to button problems.

LOL!

Sony repair = Open unit. Dislodge stuck button. Close unit. Put back on shelf for sale. Wait for it to come back again.

But you know, Sony really is right. I mean, 100% flaw rate = 0.6% bitching. You just know they've gotta be doing something right.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2005, 09:31:33 AM »
Apparently the problem doesn' surface equally with all units. Or some users haven't tried the button much. Makes me wonder about the breakage ratio.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2005, 04:16:10 AM »
100% of psps are defective.  a lot of people either haven't turned them in, or haven't mashed hard enough on the square button to cause it io stick.  

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2005, 12:33:36 PM »

Originally posted by: MaleficentOgre
100% of psps are defective.  a lot of people either haven't turned them in, or haven't mashed hard enough on the square button to cause it io stick.

Actually, no. 100% of PSPs are poorly mechanically designed, but currently only 0.6% are broken because of it. Technically, yes, I suppose you could call it a defect, but it will not manifest itself in every unit with the poor design.

Still, it is a bit of a stupid descision. A 3mm size increase would have sorted the problem out perfectly. It's a bit of a shame really.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2005, 03:12:54 PM »

but currently only 0.6% are broken because of it.

No. A much higher percentage of broken PSPs exist than that, 0.6% broken PSPs have been sent into Sony and repaired.

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2005, 03:34:09 PM »
Stuck buttons are usually fixed by applying back-and-forth twisting force to your controller, but that sucks for the PSP cause then your Spinning Disc of Death winds up killing some random passerby.

It's safer to just bring it to Sony and make them professionally "fix" your stuck button, but that takes too much time and effort, and PSP users have no regard for human life.
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2005, 08:57:37 AM »
I read this on another board:

1 in 7 jap. psp have faulty buttons which sony can't yet fix
1 in 5 jap psp have defective batteries
1 in 18 jap psp have dead pixels or discolored screen problems
30 hrs is the ave. life expectancy of the psp's "analogue stick"
30 days is how long the buttons below the screen are warranteed by sony because of rampant malfunction
and to top it off: Sony states that the left trigger can be expected to not perform as well as the right trigger for some unknown reason that sony can not or will not disclose at the moment.
The guy who posted this didn't back it up whatsoever.  Has anyone else heard these figures, or did this guy just pull a bunch of random stuff out of his ass?  I don't see how this could possibly be accurate, especially the part about the life expectancy of the analogue stick being 30 hours.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2005, 07:37:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario

but currently only 0.6% are broken because of it.

No. A much higher percentage of broken PSPs exist than that, 0.6% broken PSPs have been sent into Sony and repaired.

And you do of course have the statistics from a reliable source to back your claim up?
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 07, 2005, 10:54:18 AM »
Do you really think everyone who has a "broken" system is going to send it in? =P
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2005, 08:07:10 AM »
Has Sony said anything about single cart multiplayer on the PSP?  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2005, 09:51:41 AM »
I have a question... not related to the recent "button crisis"...

I read on a portable site last year (I forget which) that said that the PSP UDM discs would "identify" themselves with only one PSP unit and then could not be played on any other. Basically, you could not trade games with a friend because your games would not work on his PSP and vice versa. Is this true?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2005, 10:06:06 AM »
I would hope not, because what if you broke your PSP?  You'd then have to buy all-new copies of your games... <_<
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2005, 10:28:20 AM »
That's just silly, Bill.  From everything I've read, PSP's are near-indestructible.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2005, 12:11:45 PM »
I saw a baseball bat and a rice rocket that would disagree.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2005, 03:36:54 PM »
whoa someone broke a PSP with his penis?

har har
I'll shut up now...

Offline dmbfan755

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2005, 04:38:00 AM »
First off, I would like to say that I own a DS and have been a supporter of Nintendo ever since the release of the NES. I have never bought any other console except Sega Genesis. Now, the PSP looks good. I dont understand why people are arguing over which one is "better". I say, "Who Cares?" I dont care which one is better, because its debateable. PSP has good graphics and plays movies, but DS has two screens and a touch screen and can also play gba games. THats sweet. So I say..... get both. Then you can get the games you want for both systems and you dont have to worry about Nintendo's online playability if it never happens, though i hope it does, soon. I personally can't wait for games like lost in blue and viewtiful joe for the DS, and I also really want GTA and the ability to play movies on the PSP.  
If anybody wants to give me any virtual boy games, that would be, Indubitably, Neat-o.  

Offline PJ gamer10

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2005, 07:54:25 AM »
Amen brother!! minus the GTA game for PSP both machines are unique and not very similar. While the DS can seem to really push new boundaries for handheld games with maybe some RTS and more adventure games, the PSP can bring the home entertainment on the go. Where else can you get an MP3 player, Movie player and ps2 quality game player for $250. Now I don't have a PSP nor am I planning to get one until I see they fixed some of the problems, but both systems seem to be different enough to warrant a purchase.  
I make the impossible.........possible.
Xboxlive gamertag: Evil Twin76

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2005, 07:56:21 AM »
After playing the PSP I can say, it's pretty, but not enough to warrant a 250$ purchase.  For me, that's something that I'd have to spend on books or some crap.  NOT on a HANDHELD device.  But that's my verdict.  The games I think are also rip offs. I'm not going to spend 40$ for something I could get for 20$ (Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid 3).  So, that's my verdict.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2005, 05:37:56 PM »
Minor anecdotal report on the PSP's launch:

I was just at my local EB, and there was no crowd. I think one person came in, excitedly bought a PSP, and ran off.

A mother was in there and thinking about getting a PSP. After a while of humming and hawing, one of the clerks said "Here, you can just try playing it for a while" and passed a PSP over the counter to her. The other clerk said a very hushed "What the hell do you think you're doing?" to the first guy, who responded "Ehh, who cares? It's just one of the dead pixel units."

After about five minutes, the mom gave the unit back, saying "Oh, I just don't know... How many of these do you have left?" The clerk said "Ummm... ahhh... maybe one... or two?" Then the mom said "So do you think I could sleep on it, and maybe come back tomorrow, and you'd still have one I could buy?" To which the clerk responed with a cheery "Oh sure! No problem. You could totally do that."

I almost broke out laughing. Basically, it seems that at least some retail outlets are under orders to pretend that there is a shortage of PSP hardware, even though they have an abundance, to try and generate excitement.

I went next door to Zellers and saw that they had a neat-and-tidy stack of at least a dozen PSP units behind glass at their videogame counter, with no noticeable interest in them at all (which is semi-typical for Zellers, but not really on a launch day).
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2005, 05:48:29 PM »
PSP IGN says you could probably get one, "But they will be sold out by the weekend!" heh maybe its true
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline ruby_onix

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2005, 07:11:22 PM »
Yeah. To elaborate, for those who are boycotting IGN, IGN PSP says that from what they've seen, the PSP is selling "hot-and-cold".

Some stores had a frenzy and sold out as quickly as they could humanly take money from people, while other stores apparently can't even give units away.

IGN PSP seems confident that the launch shipment will completely sell out once the people turned away from the "frenzy" stores find the units gathering dust at the "falling asleep" stores.

BTW, I just saw my first PSP television ad about half an hour ago. It's surprising that it took Sony so long. They put out "PlayStation brand" TV ads even when they don't have anything noteworthy to sell.

It has some homeboy (probably a drug dealer) strutting down the street playing a PSP. Then he starts morphing into videogame-esque characters, and breakdancing and stuff. He eventually morphs back into himself and sits down on a bus bench, where a businessman in a suit reading a newspaper appears to be impressed by this cool dude and his PSP.  
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2005, 07:14:58 PM »
Theres numerous PSP commercials... ive seen an iPod like PSP commercial with music and some musicians using looking at the PSP screen...

It seems there are targeting the iPod crowd direcctly. Especially with the white earphones (for a black system?)
The Savior Returns Late 2005