Author Topic: Original song compositions  (Read 91088 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
RE: Original song compositions
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2005, 04:47:49 PM »
Ian's dream music is awesome!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Original song compositions
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005, 11:29:13 AM »
Ian.  I will f*cking pay you to record my song.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
Re: Original song compositions
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 06:37:58 PM »
Bumping this because I want to hear more of Ian's band's songs.

Also, I want to share a composition of my own:

The Ditty of Death

It's pretty much my first song (unless you count freestyle rap, or tunes I made in Animal Crossing.) It's not great, but I think it has a certain creepy charm. I must warn you, though, the song may be cursed.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 11:51:54 AM »
Sh!t I recorded this stuff back in 2005?  Actually earlier this year one of my bandmates got a Mac with Garage Band and we re-recorded higher quality versions of most of those songs plus there are a couple new ones.  With this post being brought back I should upload the newer versions plus the new songs.

And I've got to remember to listen to Wandering's song later tonight.  I'm at work right now so I can't.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »
Okay so I still haven't updated the site because I'm busy with a film I mentioned working on in another thread.

But I have uploaded a new piece of music.  I don't know if Americans will know this but CBC's Hockey Night in Canada recently lost the rights to it's famous theme song to rival network TSN who will be using it for their hockey broadcasts.  This has been practically a minor scandal here in Canada.

Anyway CBC is holding a contest for a new theme song which I'm sure regardless of quality will be poorly received because of people's nostalgia for the original.  Nonetheless I've entered the contest with an instrumental I wrote.  So check it out if you want.

http://anthemchallenge.cbc.ca/mediadetail/316734

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 02:18:16 PM »
Cool stuff, Ian! I really like your entry to the contest - clean it up a little more, and I can totally hear it being the real deal. I've also downloaded all your other songs too, but make sure if you put up higher quality versions to post again so we can "upgrade."

Wandering, very nice. But... cursed?? (goes to walk around a bit) Hmm, I'm still walking straight ahead and turning right when i want to turn right, and left when I want to turn left. Also, there's no little skull floating above my head. Looks like I'm alright!

Ok, technically this isn't a "song" because it doesn't have lyrics, but I thought I'd join in on the fun. I play piano, and used to really like writing music. Since I haven't had a real piano (just have a keyboard), I haven't written anything new in years. But this was the last one I wrote before I got composer's block.

Check it out here. It's pretty mellow.

Note: for the "short" version, just stop listening at 2:53.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 01:19:38 PM »
It's not really my style, Ian, but keep it up buddddddddddddddddddddy. And writing music in your dream isn't funny, it's possibly the best way to do it. For some reason, I always come up with the best melodies when I'm dreaming but I almost always forget them immediately. It kinda sucks.....

Anyway...I have a new track as well. I don't have a name for it. What I would like from yall is some constructive criticism. I use a laptop..........that's it. So take that into consideration.

I usually make straight hip-hop beats that use samples from really momentous symphonies and orchestras or in one case, a soundtrack (Requiem for a Dream). Sometimes I make a hip-hop beat that's kinda goofy but really calming and is probably best played when having some fun outside.

So ya.......this one is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I was going for a more of a "this is what I'll play when I'm driving with a car full of girls and we're headed to a party" type of feel. Bass is real heavy, the melody is really techno-ish, and it's suppose to be catchy.

Anyway, check it out:

THIS IS MEANT TO BE PLAYED AT HIGH VOLUME. SO IF YOU CAN, DO SO.

http://www.supload.com/music/Kashogistogi/The-Jam/XL9ITJ5QTZMM-download.html

EDIT: I just wanted to mention that almost all of my songs contain a duality within them. So if you the beginning is not your cup of tea, then forward a little ways to the other part.  Let me know what you think (most importantly, let me know if it sounds professionally made).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:10:47 PM by KashogiStogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 11:16:48 PM »
i already PMed K-stogi my detailed view on his song, but to keep discussion going i'll summarize my points here and see if anyone agrees/disagrees. It'd love to compare my views on this with everyone elses.

These were my main points:

-intro was a little long
-bass drum could of been a little louder in the beat
-the melody that comes in around the minute mark could use a different tone to diversify sound
-the interlude felt a little abrupt
-the outro didnt leave me wanting more

now i really liked the song, and i told K-stogi i did, even saying i want this on my ipod. I was merely giving him the constructive criticism he asked for, so i role played as a pop record producer looking for a hit.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 02:39:32 PM »
Here's a song that I made before the last one posted above. It's not as "professional" sounding, but the underlying beat is solid. I just need to tweak it, give a couple more instruments and a better sample of Mozart's Requiem (the full beat has thunder and lighting in the beginning but the intro is about 45 seconds long, so I cut it out for now).

This is the type of beat I like making. Old school hip-hop where it's not about dancing, but about bobbing your head and grooving with the flow.

Check it out: http://www.supload.com/music/Kashogistogi/Mozart/2O89EQ8NQGTB-download.html

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 03:55:36 AM »
NEW SONG! WOOT

http://www.supload.com/music/Fresh-download-ITZFS7MU3RBF.html

I think it's the best I've ever made! I have some lyrics I put on it but for some reason my computer keeps fucking up everytime I try to export it. Oh well....

Anyway, tell me what you think!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 03:59:43 AM by Stogi »

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 09:16:29 AM »
NEW SONG! WOOT

http://www.supload.com/music/Fresh-download-ITZFS7MU3RBF.html

I think it's the best I've ever made! I have some lyrics I put on it but for some reason my computer keeps fucking up everytime I try to export it. Oh well....

Anyway, tell me what you think!

Can do, just after work. Looking forward to it since i like your previous efforts.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 12:58:23 PM »
Cool. Let me know what you think. For some reason the song sounds better on my headphones than my speakers. Weird.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 07:01:48 PM »
Cool. Let me know what you think. For some reason the song sounds better on my headphones than my speakers. Weird.

dude you're talented, this track rocked my pants off.

I won't get into a big analysis here but here are my quick thoughts:

-This song immediately entrances you, which is always good

-It sounds simple until you pick out all the little things going on in the song and that's the sort of things that make these types of jams my favorite.

-the horns that come in at around 1:20 give it some bad ass Bond style that takes this track to epic proportions! My first thought was "this is what the Quantum of Solace theme should of sounded like!" (seriously, the song they had was trash. Chris Cornell does an amazing job with "i know your name" for CR then Jack White makes crap for QoS)

With your permission i'll add this to my ipod because its a sick song. Keep pumping these out and i'll listen to em, ever put out a record and i'd buy it (at a friendly discount ;))

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 11:00:28 PM »
That was exactly what I was going for. Seriously, QoS was my inspiration. EDIT: I was going for a remorse slash rampage kind of feel. A kinda deep sorrow that could only be fulfilled by hate. In a way, I wanted the brass to both let out the hatred but also show how there is no turning back. I really enjoyed making this song.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:50:47 AM by Stogi »

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »
Hey I listened to the whole thing too... twice. It was real good. EC is right about the horn's. Keep it up
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 05:27:17 AM »
Thank you. Like I said, I have the song with some lyrics. They provide a really nice dynamic. Once I figure out how to actually incorporate lyric .wav files into my song legitimately, I'll re-post the song. I think you guys will like it.

I have another track I'd like you guys to listen to as well. It's not quite ready. I need this chick (with mad pianist skills) to overlay a nice jazzy track before I send it out. Again, I'll just post it in here whenever I'm done or close to being done.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2008, 11:33:08 AM »
Could a mod please change sniperp's avatar so it'll stop causing a login prompt when I view this thread?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »
Nice work, I like the way the bass comes in, keep it up!
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2008, 12:09:13 AM »
So my friend was a guitarist in this hardcore band, their guitarist dropped out a couple of week before they planned to record their demo. My friend asked me to replace the guy for the recording and to maybe play a couple of shows. I'm not a fan of this type of music at all, so I reluctanly accepted to help my friend out.

I helped finish songs on the demo, I played a couple of shows, I helped record the demo then three weeks later I left the band. The other guys were jerks and my friend was a jerk when he was with them.

Anyway about 2 years has passed now and they only have one member remaining from when I was in the band, but they're still kicking around recording an EP or something.

Their MySpace still has their demo up if anyone is interested...

http://www.myspace.com/tsotm

I won't be offended if you think it is ****, I do.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:54:59 PM by Dasmos »
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2008, 10:30:54 AM »
If thats the case i'd like to say that it sounds like **** before even hearing it because "hardcore" as a genre is one of the most god awful types of music there is. I say either become a REAL metal band or learn to sing/use tunings other than dropped D/stop palm muting every other power chord. ****.

Don't even get me started on "hardcore" bands that go from screaming at the top of your lungs to soft harmonized singing, cuz guess what; you're not hardcore you're fucking emo.

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2008, 09:26:27 PM »
Heh, while I prefer Hardcore music to Metal, they're both **** and Hardcore is freaking monotonous to play sometimes. That's why I didn't stay long. I just keep looking at this thread wanting to contribute, but I am too horrible with any sort of criticism to put of my actual music on!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2008, 05:48:43 AM »
Wiggles said it first, hardcore music is almost always god awful.

Still, you obviously put it up for a reason. I could  to listen to but you didn't do a very good job selling it. Would you like me to listen to it or not?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:51:56 AM by Stogi »

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2008, 08:12:51 PM »
As a fan of hardcore (it isn't ****!) I thought that stuff was pretty good Dasmos. I listened to it all, and while it isn't particularly unique (what hardcore stuff is honestly), it was catchy and professional sounding. If you have any more stuff I'd love to hear it.

I listened to some of Ian's stuff and was impressed by a number of tracks, so nice work there buddy. I also listened to Stogi's stuff, and while it isn't my typical fare it was catchy and well done.

Props to everyone, you all definitely have a talent that I wish I also possessed. While I can play guitar well enough, I don't have a creative bone in my body, thus I could never put together such imaginative stuff.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2008, 11:04:22 PM »
Still, you obviously put it up for a reason. I could  to listen to but you didn't do a very good job selling it. Would you like me to listen to it or not?

I was just putting it out there, some people might enjoy it. I didn't talk it up because 1. I'm not one to toot my own horn when it comes to music and 2. I don't personally think it's that great. It's really your perogative if you listen to it or not. If hardcore isn't your type of music then these probably won't be your type of songs.

As a fan of hardcore (it isn't ****!) I thought that stuff was pretty good Dasmos. I listened to it all, and while it isn't particularly unique (what hardcore stuff is honestly), it was catchy and professional sounding. If you have any more stuff I'd love to hear it.

Glad you liked it. While I do have more songs they're mainly written by me or co-written written with other members of my band and I'm no where near comfortable enough with them to put them out on the Internet for all to criticise. Maybe one day..

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 07:12:08 PM »
Wiggles said it first, hardcore music is almost always god awful.

i still listened to it, even though Dasmos didnt try to 'sell' it and nah i didnt like it. It was good quality though and not horrible, so if i was a fan of the genre i might like it but obviously i'm not, but i still have to give props where its due.

I feel the same way as you too, i keep looking at this thread and wanting to contribute something myself. I play guitar and i've recorded a few things in the past when i played more often but never any full compisitions or anything of quality thats worth putting up. Actually, most of my recordings got lost when my last computer died on me.

The closest thing i have to show is a song that a friend and myself composed quickly and never really finished. We never realy got far in our musical projects because our taste where too different, one of his favorite bands and biggest influences was Fall Out Boy.. need i say more? Anyway after one of the last times we jammed, he went and re-recorded our lil jam on Garage Band with his new laptop and sent me this link to his myspace profile:

Myspace.com/EliasReyesProject "untitled"

The original version we recorded very mellow compared to this. I was lead guitar and didnt use so much distortion, it was a very smooth lick actually. His rythm wasnt distorded at all, in fact i prefered it when he playd his part acoustic but eh.. he adopted it into his prefered style i guess. To me it still sounds too different from what we'd done originally, but what he did with it isn't that bad and i still enjoy it.