Author Topic: How will GBA games work on the DS?  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Lost101

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
How will GBA games work on the DS?
« on: August 19, 2004, 07:38:26 PM »
When we got the GBC it turned all GB games to color, when we got the GBA it turned all the GB & GBC games to a larger screen (not to mention back lit on the SP), but what improvements could the DS provide?

The screen is the same size, and there would be no point in having two screens show the same thing...

Other than maybe better resolution and sound there isnt anything very obvious they can do.  Im sure Nintendo can come up with something, even if its something simple like the second screen can be used to take notes while you play or display the time or something like that (like how long you have been playing or something).  Anyone have any ideas?
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
RE: How will GBA games work on the DS?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 06:19:38 AM »
I don't really think there are much enhancements to the GBA games.  It only plays GBA games and thats it.  The idea is to do what can be done good for future DS games and not the older ones.  Maybe the GBE will do something about that but Nintendo is trying to make DS the third pillar it sees it as.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 07:16:51 AM »
I could see advancements being added to future GBA games that would have the added "DS improvement"(like the menu being displayed on the second screen), but I don't really think it's possible to add that function to games that haven't been programmed to do so...*shrug*
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 07:19:15 AM »
Yeah things like menus being on the second screen would be great but that seems pretty impossible unless they the game itself is programmed to be forwards compatible.  

I imaigne that like the GBC the GBA will have some of its later games have extra features that will only show up when you play on the DS (like  certain rings in oracle of seasons when you played it on the GBA).  

Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
RE:How will GBA games work on the DS?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 03:15:19 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I could see advancements being added to future GBA games that would have the added "DS improvement"(like the menu being displayed on the second screen), but I don't really think it's possible to add that function to games that haven't been programmed to do so...*shrug*

Unless some GBA games (since the idea for DS came up) have in fact been programmed to play differently on the DS?  That would kick ass.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 05:13:22 PM »
^Like a game on the GBA will work with a DS game.  Kind of like GBA-GCN connectivity.  You're right that would be cool. Thats two connectivities in one.  Unless it connect to Rev and GCN then we see four.

Very awesome idea.  Although they need to make it that a GBA owner with no DS will see it as something that can be skipped and a DS owner can see it as well the option is there so why not.

Does the GBA games and the DS games use the same slot?  If not then uh oh my ideas are already trash.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 05:16:43 PM »
Nope, the DS flash cards are much smaller than GBA carts...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline XBR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 06:35:15 PM »
they could do a 64DD type deal, using both slots at the same time, or possibly using either a blank gba cart or a blank ds card for memory to store created tracks and characters for the opposite format.
Rocko's Modern Life....
       ...the good ole days

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 10:54:58 PM »
Or maybe they could do something like Nintendo/Capcom did with the GBC to GBA.  Zelda had something special you could get if you played it on a GBA.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 05:41:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Lost101
When we got the GBC it turned all GB games to color, when we got the GBA it turned all the GB & GBC games to a larger screen (not to mention back lit on the SP), but what improvements could the DS provide?

The screen is the same size, and there would be no point in having two screens show the same thing...

Other than maybe better resolution and sound there isnt anything very obvious they can do.  Im sure Nintendo can come up with something, even if its something simple like the second screen can be used to take notes while you play or display the time or something like that (like how long you have been playing or something).  Anyone have any ideas?

Actually the GBA SP is front lit not backlit.

The DS on the otherhand will be Backlit.

Just getting the facts straight
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 03:33:27 PM »
I wonder whats going to be on the second screen.  I hope its not just a blank screen or a generic screen saying "Game Boy" or something
PikkCuber

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 04:18:52 PM »
well what else can they do, they would have to reprogram gba games if they were gonna use 2 screens on the ds.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 09:20:37 PM »
They could run two emulations at once... Okay, would be impossible with saving and stuff...

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 06:40:57 AM »
Interesting note, I remember reading in a magazine way back when that Nintendo actually prepared for colourizing the original Gameboy games right from day one.   It seems to be true, since even games like Super Mario Land display characters, objects and backgrounds with different palettes when playing on a Gameboy Color.  It probably made a lot of sense, because the original Gameboy's lack of a colou display was a big and obvious drawback.

Anyway, I don't think Nintendo really planned for any enhancements to be made from GBA to DS.  It would be nice if Nintendo included something (I like the note-taking idea), but I think the backwards compatibility is only there as a bonus feature.  At most, I expect to be able to switch the screen that is displaying the game, and maybe stretch the image to fit, the same way the GBA does with Gameboy Colour games.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 03:03:14 PM »
the ds has the same size screens as the gba but, it would be cool if they split the image in two  with one half on the top and the other half on the bottom
Banned

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2004, 04:54:47 PM »
what would be cool on SOME multi-player games is if you could see what the other player is doing on the second screen
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2004, 07:15:36 PM »
thats a great idea...damn why didn't i think of that!!!! that would be really cool
Banned

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2004, 03:31:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Lost101

The GBC didn't turn regular GB games to color.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Pikkcuber

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2004, 04:52:15 PM »
No it didnt i noticed that Lost got it wrong too but i didnt say anything.  Yeah defintly when i popped my castlevania game in the other day it was not colorful.
PikkCuber

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2004, 12:09:42 AM »
Dirk: Then your GBC is faulty, mine always uses a color palette unless I explicitely tell it not to (greyscale palette).