Author Topic: Plugabugz' Playstation Plural Playground. Pie.  (Read 16662 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Plugabugz' Playstation Plural Playground. Pie.
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »
Burnout Paradise is awesome, as is the first Uncharted.  People laughed when I said that the key to Uncharted 1 & 2 are the facial expressions, but they are.  There are little details in their mannerisms that make the characters feel alive.  It's the best voice acting/cutscene integration I've ever seen in a game...I'd go as far to say that I could watch a full movie comprised of the CG animation.  It's that good.

I just completed it. It's really a fantastic game. The voice acting feels perfectly fluid and i'm looking forward to playing the second one. For now though, I'm playing Littlebigplanet and Motorstorm 2 next.

On the Wii front, all i've been doing is Wii Fit Plus. Is there anything anyone can recommend?

Once you beat the 2nd Uncharted, I recommend watching the behind the scenes videos available for free on the PSN store.  Its interesting to see what the actors really look like and the extra steps they went through to make the animation and voice acting so fluid.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 01:36:52 PM »
Can I use this thread to troll Uncharted? I downloaded the demo and I wasn't impressed.

The climbing was fun, but about the same quality as Tomb Raider. One downside of the "ultra realistic" graphics is that it makes it tough to see where you can jump.

The shooting part is average, the one nice thing is the different animations when sticking to walls. I have a problem seeing the enemies from a distance.

However, I have been playing it with composite cables, so my resolution is low. I have HDMI cables coming from Amazon this week, so I am going to give it another shot.

I may buy the game if I can find it cheap enough, just to troll with more authority.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 11:03:34 PM »
I got my HDMI cables today, I was running at 1080p but I was getting some odd color artifacts. The system wanted to put me at 1080i, but I switched it to 720p so the resolution wouldn't have to adjust when playing a game.

Uncharted does look better in HD, and the enemies were easier to see. The combat in the demo seemed even worse this time, a chore to slog through to get back to the jumping parts.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »
Yup. That part in the demo is maybe one of four parts were the thugs just keep coming. It's really annoying and they adjusted those moments in the sequel.

It's not a game breaker though, definately worth pressing through.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 07:15:42 AM »
I see why you made that other Wii thread.

I only just noticed this post. I was at Heathrow at the time and completely missed this. Yes, that's why ;)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 10:49:58 PM »
So a friend let me borrow Uncharted. This game is Tomb Raider. It's a decent game, but so is Tomb Raider. I'm going to download the Uncharted 2 demo and see if I like it better.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2010, 11:17:07 PM »
I've never played Uncharted, but Uncharted 2 (at least the demo) is actually pretty fucking badass.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 11:25:26 PM »
I've never played Uncharted, but Uncharted 2 (at least the demo) is actually pretty ****ing badass.

Just out of curiosity, what part of the game does the demo cover?  Probably the ideal spot I would pick would be the city level early in the game (I think it's Nepal or some such place), which features a lot of great street fighting and platforming before shifting into a fight with a helicopter.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2010, 01:04:57 AM »
There's a part where a truck is chasing you down an alley, then you blow it up (IIRC) and you're in a run-down city.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 01:11:27 AM »
There's a part where a truck is chasing you down an alley, then you blow it up (IIRC) and you're in a run-down city.

Yep, it's the area I thought they'd put the demo in.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 08:21:18 PM »
 I wonder if it let's you get to the helicopter. It should, as that would definately sell some people on the game.  Even though the demo for the first game was just ok, it was one of the few demos I've ever played to convince me to get the game.  That and Bad Company.   

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »
I'm sold on the second without having to buy the first.

I bought Flower on PSN partly because because of Jonny's recommendation and it's going for £2.39 so i thought i'd try it. I'm also downloading the Heavy Rain demo. Most of it i played already back in October at a games expo but apparently there's more bits. Heavy Rain isn't quite insta-buy but i will wait for the price to tumble.

Uncharted 2 is already at £31 (from £39?) so i will just hold out for that.

Still working through Little Big Planet in the meantime.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »
Hey, Plug, do you have any interest in Bioshock 2?  I just finished my first playthrough of that last night, and found it pretty awesome (though an entirely different experience from the first game).  The multiplayer's surprisingly good, and I usually hate online competitive multiplayer.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »
Hey, Plug, do you have any interest in Bioshock 2?  I just finished my first playthrough of that last night, and found it pretty awesome (though an entirely different experience from the first game).  The multiplayer's surprisingly good, and I usually hate online competitive multiplayer.

I should really play the first one first ;)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2010, 06:53:45 PM »
As LBP continues, it seems that the levels are getting longer and there's no real checkpointy (or save) system so when i get really stuck on an area i have to redo the entire level again.

It gets really frustrating.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 02:33:18 AM »
So I tried the Uncharted 2 demo, and the sequel seems to be a much much better game. The combat is ten times better. I threw down the controller in disgust one too many times with Uncharted. Maybe I'm just getting sick of video games in general, but my patience for the smallest bit of crap is shrinking.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 01:55:19 PM »
Little Big Planet COMPLETE. I liked it but would liek it more if it was just pure platformer. The background foreground mechanic would be interesting to wrap a whole platformer around.

I'm going to play Flower for a little bit then either Prince of Persia PS3 or Mirror's Edge.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »
I'm sorry--maybe I missed this but why does Plugabugz get his own PS3 blog in the General Gaming forum?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2010, 05:16:59 PM »
So I can troll the PS3?

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 09:05:38 PM »
Little Big Planet COMPLETE. I liked it but would liek it more if it was just pure platformer. The background foreground mechanic would be interesting to wrap a whole platformer around.

I'm going to play Flower for a little bit then either Prince of Persia PS3 or Mirror's Edge.

How would you rate it with the all time great platformers?  Personally, it would rank low on my list.  I love so many things about it.  The style, the graphics, the amazing FREE user content, the characters.  Its just the actual gameplay that bugs me.  Its a dead horse, but its just too floaty for me.  In addition, on some levels, so many simple tasks, just don't work right, like grabbing things.  And then there's the foreground background maneuvering......

But at the end of the day, I still had fun with it, and smiled a bit.  So for me, it was good, just not epic.  I think its way over rated.  And all the DLC from Media Molecule is laughable.  Stickers??  Costumes??  It was cute the first couple times, but now its a bit sad.  Is that all they can really do?  Where is the creativity the intro to the game goes on about?  They should take a cue from Criterion and Burnout Paradise.  Release some amazing new cars (or characters for LBP) and then couple it with new worlds to explore.  Stickers are for dweebs.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2010, 08:25:20 AM »

How would you rate it with the all time great platformers?  Personally, it would rank low on my list.  I love so many things about it.  The style, the graphics, the amazing FREE user content, the characters.  Its just the actual gameplay that bugs me.  Its a dead horse, but its just too floaty for me.  In addition, on some levels, so many simple tasks, just don't work right, like grabbing things.  And then there's the foreground background maneuvering......

But at the end of the day, I still had fun with it, and smiled a bit.  So for me, it was good, just not epic.  I think its way over rated.  And all the DLC from Media Molecule is laughable.  Stickers??  Costumes??  It was cute the first couple times, but now its a bit sad.  Is that all they can really do?  Where is the creativity the intro to the game goes on about?  They should take a cue from Criterion and Burnout Paradise.  Release some amazing new cars (or characters for LBP) and then couple it with new worlds to explore.  Stickers are for dweebs.

It's good but it just didn't tightly tie everything together. The game has tons and tons of potential (and i even found a couple of mario themed levels online) but the floaty controls and the lack of a checkpoint system progressively wound me up.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2010, 09:43:59 AM »
I think those are pretty accurate evaluations. LBP has a ton of charm, but the game play is too "physicy" It reminds me of Deus Ex 2 were you can bump into everything and it moves around like it is made out of styrofoam.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2010, 10:05:31 PM »
Bayonetta received a patch to fix up a bit of it's load times, but the blemishes still look like ass. =(

(though Bayonetta's ass seems to have survived)
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2010, 02:31:47 AM »
I'm generally happy with my PS3 purchase, but having a mandatory patch to a game day one that takes an hour and a half to download and cannot be downloaded in the background is irritating.

EDIT: And the Wii file size limit sucks, but what happens when there's no limit is that Championship Sprint, a slightly altered version of an early-80s arcade game, takes up 84 megabytes.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:40:35 AM by insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2010, 03:24:55 PM »
It is an industry of EVIL.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.