Author Topic: Why are people still whining that there aren't enough games?  (Read 64989 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Why are people still whining that there aren't enough games?
« Reply #300 on: May 04, 2008, 06:52:29 PM »
Yeah, but with increased graphical fidelity and the push towards realism(the most typical application of improved graphics), you have to work harder to avoid the uncanny valley.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 04, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
Ok so we agree they are more expensive, I never contested that, I just don't buy the argument that PS3/360 games AREN'T Profitable. I am sure that NBA Live 2007 recycled a lot of code and character models from NBA Live 2006 and I am sure the same can be said for COD 2 to COD 3, etc.

I think I presented myself as to be on the other side of this as I truly am. I no doubt think Wii has the customers to buy games, and I do doubt think that any game that is profitable on PS3 would be MORE profitable on Wii.

But I don't think people can just assume PS3 doesn't make money and say it is stupid for developers to make games for it that aren't on Wii. It can be just as costly to port down a game made in HD as it can to make it from scratch right?

It's like Hollywood, once they got went Digital and HD and CGI, etc, they didn't want to turn back. Major studios invest in all this fancy hi tech gadgetry and now they want to make the most of it so they get their moneys worth.

I can see how if a developer spends the money to invest in making a big budget hi definition, graphical masterpeice that they spend time and money and effort trying to realize a artistic or what have you vision, then it makes sense they would want to continue using their fancy HD tools to keep moving forwards. I mean making a hollywood movie on film is probably cheaper than using HD/Digital cameras, but the extra cost won't stop them from putting in the extra effort.

I guess it is more like this, I don't agree fully with the developers not wanting to put their biggest and best efforts into Wii, I would like to see games like Lost Planet, Oblivion, COD4, etc, on the Wii, but I can also see how some companies would see Wii as a step forward and to steps backwards.

"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 04, 2008, 08:18:19 PM »
I can see how if a developer spends the money to invest in making a big budget hi definition, graphical masterpeice that they spend time and money and effort trying to realize a artistic or what have you vision, then it makes sense they would want to continue using their fancy HD tools to keep moving forwards. I mean making a hollywood movie on film is probably cheaper than using HD/Digital cameras, but the extra cost won't stop them from putting in the extra effort.

Yeah, that's true. You'll always have visionaries who want to push as far in any direction as they can no matter what the consequences, including the directions that benefit from more and more graphical fidelity. Squaresoft and FFXIII, for example. Or Konami's MGS4. Those are games where the developers have a clear agenda for no-holds-barred graphics.

However, business sense usually trumps those. I'm looking forward to changing market economies that make Wii versions of most multiplatform games a near-necessity. Just look at Guitar Hero III. Despite a laundry list of lacking features (including hardcore favorites DLC and... I dunno... STEREO SOUND) the Wii version of the game has had the strongest long-term sales, has climbed to 2 million, and can stand toe-to-toe against the 360 version (and head-and-shoulders above the PS3 version). Again, with the Wii on-track to match or surpass PS2 sales worldwide, there's simply no way to ignore that. I mean, we're getting Sonic Unleashed and Force:Unleashed, two games that we feared would be excluded for graphical fidelity concerns, but that ultimately show that the market dictates game placement.

There will always be games on the fringes (Like the Xbox and GC exclusives from last gen), but by and large I'm anticipating market dominance for the Wii, just delayed at that.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 04, 2008, 08:31:40 PM »
That is why I think so many Wii games are PS2 ports. So developers can raise some money fast to be able to fund their bigger projects, which should start showing up on Wii in the near future.

I mean, we're getting Sonic Unleashed and Force:Unleashed, two games that we feared would be excluded for graphical fidelity concerns, but that ultimately show that the market dictates game placement.

Two games I am greatly anticipating as well.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 05, 2008, 06:53:28 AM »
I just don't buy the argument that PS3/360 games AREN'T Profitable.

Yes 360/PS3 games have the potential to be profitably, but the profit margin is much smaller than it is for the Wii because of the costs and because (at least with the PS3 anyway) the install base is much smaller. As a result, the Wii is the system that developers are more likely to make a profit or at least break even on, so I think this will be the console where we'll see the greatest risks taken this generation. In fact, that's already the case with a number of titles, such as Red Steel and No More Heroes. Expect to see more stuff emerge over the next year or two.

Profiting isn't really enough in most cases, most companies want to profit GREATLY and that's easier to do on the Wii.
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 05, 2008, 07:49:42 AM »
Recycling assets saves money but since you can't recycle last-gen assets fior this-gen games you have to pay a lot more for the HD jump than the usual sequels.