Author Topic: Pikmin 2  (Read 18422 times)

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Pikmin 2
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2004, 07:09:55 PM »
Ah, so you can resume play in caves. The only reason I wasn't sure if you could do that is because the game never explicitly says so. I was just too afraid to risk testing it out and losing my progress.

And I agree that the way the product placement is done fits well in the game. But it doesn't seem to be the most flattering way to advertise your product. I mean, the whole joke of the game is that you're collecting absolutely worthless junk. Except for the Game & Watch.

I'm also glad that Metts rated the graphics so highly in his reveiw. It's truly an underrated aspect of the game. I find it strange how reviewers went absolutely nuts over the graphics in PoP, yet not so much over Pikmin 2. The only reason I mention PoP is because the way the graphics look in the Piklopedia look virtually identical to the kind of lighting effects used in PoP, if not better. Most of the items look damn near photorealistic up close, too. If I'm not mistaken (and I usually am), there's bumpmapping on most items and several enemies, and even on some of the environments.

Oh, and they didn't just say "mammorial" in a Nintendo game, did they?
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2004, 09:25:07 PM »
Did they say "sexual"? I'm pretty sure they said "sexual"...

I'm in love with this game. More Nintendo sequels should be like this, Wind Waker and Metroid Prime.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Pikmin 2
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2004, 06:58:26 AM »
Yeah, the Piklopedia looks very, very good. There's very good environment mapping on some objects as well. And the lighting does look similar to PoP. Look at the Snagret's head: the light filters through and blooms around the individual feathers.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2004, 10:53:02 PM »
I'm sorry. The exact words they use in the game are "mammal appendage". But in the context they use it, they're referring to boobies. Nintendo is t3h m4tur3!

Anyway, I've now beaten the game in 37 hours, and 50 game days. I stand by my initial assessment of it deserving GOTY. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say that the last boss battle is sweet. It makes the Emperor Bulblax battle from Pikmin 1 look downright anticlimactic. It's exactly how a last boss battle should be.

One complaint I have is about the last cave. It's hard. Very hard. And it should be. But there are a couple floors that are hard more in a frustrating sort of way than in a fun Viewtiful Joe/F-Zero GX sort of way. I had to reset about 20 times on one floor. But maybe I suck.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2004, 07:01:06 PM »
I'm in love with this game.  I bought it this past Tuesday and today paied off the debt.  I'm still playing and dont think I'll stop untill I have collected everything.  This will hold me off untill Paper Mario2, followed by Metroid, and then the DS.  Seams as if Nintendo planned the timing, heh.
The graphics are amazing in this game, and I must say that I was absolutly astounded at the movie during the credits roll.  I also think the fact that Nintendo used real-word brand names simply brought this game to life even more.  As mentioned before, I do think that the Pikmin seem smarter in this game.  They avoid walls and follow you much better than previously, and they seem to do things on their own more as well.  If a pikmin is inactive, and close to something it could be doing, it will go off and do it!  Very cool.  Their cuter then ever now that they sing marching songs and all that.  Hey, did you know that if you have a group of 100 pikmin, 20 of each color, they will sing the song Ai no Uta by Strawberry Flower, a japanese song about the first Pikmin game.

And, my favorite pikmin are the white ones.  They just look so cool!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2004, 08:54:09 PM »
I hope this game is as good as all of you say it is.  I bought it, and it should be arriving here tomorrow.  I'm very excited.  It happens that this is some bring yo family up to college weekend, too, so I had them bring up the Cube, which I'd left behind before (I've been playing Worms World Party and Paper Mario on my computer up to this point).
You make the game sound amazing.  I can't wait to get my hands on it.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2004, 04:05:42 PM »
So, there is an item in the later part of the game that requires 1000 pikmin power to lift.  That would be 100 purple pikmin, or 1000 normal pikmin.  According to the item's weight and the amout of pikmin it takes to carry it, I have devised that each normal pikmin can lift 1 gram.  So, according to that standard, it would take 117,934 normal pikmin to carry me.  Because you can only have 100 pikmin on the field, I would need 1179 GCNs running with 100 pikmin and one more with 34.  LOL!

Also, in comparison to the in-game items, I figure that pikmin are about 1 centimeter tall.

So, how many pikmin would it take to carry you?
type "### lbs in grams" at Google, if you don't know how to convert.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2004, 09:57:53 PM »
117kg?!? Man, you ARE heavy.

I'm around 60kg, i.e. 60k Pikmin. Isn't that kinda pathetic, I mean, what can an ant lift?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2004, 01:36:36 AM »
So Pikmin are based on the Le Metric System.

INTERESTING
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2004, 07:48:16 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
117kg?!? Man, you ARE heavy.

I'm around 60kg, i.e. 60k Pikmin. Isn't that kinda pathetic, I mean, what can an ant lift?

Well, how tall are you?
I am 6 ft 5 in.  Being 60 kg, or 132 lbs, would make me look deathly skinny.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2004, 09:05:02 PM »
Professional: Remember, the french also put their adjectives after the nouns: La système metrique.

Switchblade: 180cm, BMI says I'm still normal. While I have no idea what 6 feet 5 inches are I assume it's somewhere around 210-220cm if 117kg are supposed to look healthy on you.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2004, 10:53:21 PM »
Please tell me you weren't taking me seriously.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2004, 11:55:53 PM »
I take every post you make ever seriously.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2004, 04:21:27 AM »
Me too.  You should also omit "the", because of you say the Le, you're saying the the, SILLY.

YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2004, 05:10:38 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Professional: Remember, the french also put their adjectives after the nouns: La système metrique.

Switchblade: 180cm, BMI says I'm still normal. While I have no idea what 6 feet 5 inches are I assume it's somewhere around 210-220cm if 117kg are supposed to look healthy on you.

6 ft 5 in = 195.58 centimeters.  That, and considering I have a large frame, well, there ya go...

heh...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2004, 09:22:09 PM »
It finally came.  And I absolutely freakin' love it.  Amazing game, it has me laughing and cussing and grinning and having fun and enjoy myself in every way.  It does everything a game should, it's awesome.