Author Topic: Online Play Confirmed For Super Mario Bros. Wonder In Direct  (Read 772 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Online Play Confirmed For Super Mario Bros. Wonder In Direct
« on: August 31, 2023, 11:40:43 AM »

But only one tangible player goes on screen.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/64706/online-play-confirmed-for-super-mario-bros-wonder-in-direct

For the first time outside Super Mario Maker 2, it will be possible to have online play in a 2D Mario game.

Today's Super Mario Bros. Wonder Direct confirmed the addition of "online ghosts" to the game, which can be used both in a cooperative and competitive fashion. The ghosts can be used to revive a player who is about to lose a life from enemy contact (similar to the bubble function in the New games, but on a five-second countdown), or can enter into races to complete an objective. The former function can also be used with "Standees" of the chosen character, which are purchased ingame using the purple diamond coins shown in early footage.

Other details including the playable characters in the game (a Mario record even only counting two Toads for one) and the new power-ups can be seen in the archive.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Online Play Confirmed For Super Mario Bros. Wonder In Direct
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 11:27:31 PM »
Nintendo remembering that people like to play online with their friends is a sign of tremendous growth.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Online Play Confirmed For Super Mario Bros. Wonder In Direct
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 11:23:14 AM »
I have mixed feelings about this. I s'pose this feature has its merits in terms of sociality, but it's no replacement for proper co-op and should exist as just one mode of online. They already figured this out in two prior Mario games. At least it has some form of online since the first trailer made it look like it could just be local only, and maybe I'll get lucky and they'll add proper online co-op in a future update...