Author Topic: Episode 847: Aggressive Worming  (Read 917 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Episode 847: Aggressive Worming
« on: November 05, 2023, 06:30:54 AM »

It's a work in progress below the surface.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/65390/episode-847-aggressive-worming

Jon is out this week, so once again we're running a three-man show.

The returning Greg kicks the show off with some post-completion thoughts on Super Mario Bros. Wonder. This is probably pretty close to our definitive segment on the game - you could call it "smooth." We do. About 100 times.

Guillaume is playing Sparklite. It's a roguelike action game available on Switch.

James closes out New Business with Dave the Diver. You're Dave. You're a diver. You hunt fish, you serve sushi, you make money, and you...cheer on an idol? Hey there's more beneath the surface here, if you'll excuse the pun.

A short break gives way to a single Listener Mail segment: could a remake be game of the year? You can send us your questions or fill our last-call for RetroActive suggestions here.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 847: Aggressive Worming
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 08:14:37 AM »
Gui didn’t point out a particular detail about Sparklite that makes it’s roguelite structure doubly frustrating: the map rearranges each time you die, so seeking out specific spaces for certain kinds of puzzles and power ups can be a bit of a slog. I’m right there with him, though- once I started to steamroll that game, I didn’t stop until o got to the final boss… who proceeded to whoop my ass so hard I needed a fully kitted equipment grid just to take him down, and even then, I had to rely on a bit of RNG bull.

Another novel take on the roguelite Legend of Zelda clone is Rogue Heroes: Ruins of Tasos. The dungeons are randomized and the overworld is persistent, and the game is co-op, for the Karen in your life! It’s not stellar and can also sometimes feel like a grind, but it’s in the service of building a character that you like, which is arguably the fun of the game.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 847: Aggressive Worming
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 11:48:14 AM »
Ooh, thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah, I guess I said dying was frustrating but forgot to say why outside of losing your items. Oops. Yep, the map rearranging itself is BS. Having the possibility of using precious space in your grid to reveal part of the map in a new run is just adding salt to the wound.

Karen and I are probably good for co-op games for the foreseeable future: we've got Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2 to play through once we're done with Wonder.