Author Topic: According to IGA, the true Castlevania fanbase is on the PSP  (Read 14482 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
This is from an interview in the recent Play magazine.

Play: I know you have great affection for the original PC Engine Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, and you've talked about letting Western fans have the chance to play it for a long time. Why now, and why PSP?

IGA: I had often been told people wanted a Castlevania on PSP, long before this project began. The traditional Castlevania user base is somewhat older and more mature, so within the company it had often been suggested PSP might be a better idea than DS. When work began on the PSP version, we realized drawing pixel art at that resolution would be very difficult, and I knew the desire for a 3-D Castlevania with 2-D gameplay was there. Since that approach would be technically possible on PSP, I thought the timing was finally right for Rondo of Blood.

Text

Oh and your all going to love what he says about Ayami Kojima returning for the artwork.

Play: Something a lot of fans are happy about is the return of character designer Ayami Kojima to the series. Why the return to her more mature designs after two installments of the series that favored an anime look?

IGA: Well, the character designs for the original Rondo of Blood got a very mixed reception. You could say most of the opinions were not favorable. Since this game also contains Symphony of the Night, which Kojima designed and was very well received, I wanted to unify the aesthetic of the two games. I truly believe that even if the look changes, as long as we stay true to the Castlevania gameplay itself our core fans won't abandon us. I think that was the case with the DS games. However, the PSP owner tends to be a little older and thus probably more appreciative of Kojima's designs.

Play: So it's mainly a question of target age groups?

IGA: To be honest I've been told by some younger people that they think Kojima's designs are a little scary [laughs]. I think adults can appreciate them, of course, but for younger DS users it can be a little off-putting.

So what exactly is IGA going to say when this game bombs horribly like every other 2d PSP game.  Will he finally realize that the people that have been buying the Castlevania games for the GBA and DS ARE the traditional older fanbase because we're the only ones that still care about the series these days.  It it that hard for him and others to acknowledge the fact that a lot of DS owners are *gasp* Adults as well?

Here's the all the scans I found on a topic at Gamefaqs for anyone that wants to read the full interview.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: According to IGA, the true Castlevania fanbase is on the PSP
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:52:23 AM »
He never fails to amaze me.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:According to IGA, the true Castlevania fanbase is on the PSP
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 10:05:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude

...Stuff...

It it that hard for him and others to acknowledge the fact that a lot of DS owners are *gasp* Adults as well?

...more Stuff...

Its hard for most because we're having to much fun for adults.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 10:06:51 AM »
Konami, go under.  Thanks.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:08:21 AM »
Oh, I should add I just receive the CV GBA Double-Pack today (thanks to EB's 50% off sale, whoohoo).  So Konami's all clear to dry up and die now.

They've provided some good memories over the years, but they're only good as a memory now.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 10:24:22 AM »
That poor man.  I hope there's a cure for rectal-cranial inversion someday.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 10:25:47 AM »
come to think of it the last Konami game I've played was Dawn of Sorrow, before that it was........Turtles in Time.

Bye Konami!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:26:52 AM »
For the record, I saw a video of their castleblanca game, and I think it looks ugly.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 11:34:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Konami, go under.  Thanks.

They hate money, give it time.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 12:05:15 PM »
IGA does not consider Circle of the Moon an official Castlevania game.  Circle of the Moon rocks.  IGA is officially a George Lucas-ish bonehead whose opinion on an IP he controls should be disregarded.

The real Castlevanias are the good ones so Circle of the Moon counts and all of IGA's PS2 games don't.  And the real Castlevania audience is those that buy the good games - ie: the Nintendo portable userbase.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 12:18:18 PM »
He treats Castlevaniac like it's a comic book.  That's my issue with him.  Pretty soon, we'll have a Pre-Crisis Dracula and a Post-Crisis Dracula to have to figure out too.  When's Zero Hour going to be?

Offline denjet78

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 02:55:01 PM »
Um... how can the Castlevania market be on the PSP when most of the games have been released on the GBA/DS? How can you have a market for a franchise on a system when the games haven't even been on it?

That's the logic train developers used in order to bash the GC for years so why isn't it applicable to the PSP?

Oh... it's a Sony system and this moron's still got his head up their ass for some reason.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 03:35:09 PM »
Two thinks jumped out at me:

1. He said, "within the company it had often been suggested PSP might be a better idea than DS." That sounds like pressure from his bosses.

2. He felt the anime character designs "half-succeeded and half-failed." In another interview before Dawn of Sorrow was released, he mentioned that Ayami Kojima's art takes a lot of time and money. To me, that explains the anime look. Notice how the in game graphics aren't really affected by the character designs, Portrait of Ruin still looked like a Castlevania game. I think IGA's bosses know Castlevania fans will buy the games with or without Kojima's art, even begrudgingly so. However, I can see how they would think generic anime designs could appeal to people beyond the Castlevania crowd.

IGA is a HUGE 2D gaming fan and I almost feel like Konami execs won't let him make a console Castlevania unless its 3D. He's not Hideo Kojima so I don't think they feel as bad about saying no to him.

And honestly, I think some of you guys are just bitter because you're Nintendo fans.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 03:40:19 PM »
Of course I'm a bitter Nintendo fan, but it doesn't mean I'm not right.

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 04:25:44 PM »
Have you played their final TMNT games?  Pure garbage for 1 and 2 on the GBA.  Pure Garbage for 1, 2, and 3 for the Gamecube.

whatever magic they had, it's long gone if the TMNT games are any indications...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 05:15:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
IGA is a HUGE 2D gaming fan and I almost feel like Konami execs won't let him make a console Castlevania unless its 3D. He's not Hideo Kojima so I don't think they feel as bad about saying no to him.

Then maybe Nintendo should put in a good word. The Wii is certainly not adverse to 2D graphics goodness, just see Guilty Gear, or Metal Slug Anthology, or Super Fruitfall!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 05:38:42 PM »
I honestly think that nothing short of Nintendo asking for the game specifically would convince Konami otherwise.

Nintendo fans give IGA and Konami sh*t for their lack commitment on Nintendo consoles, but really, can you blame them? Think about it not as Nintendo fans. The Playstation brand has been very good for them. Only now, with Wii, is there really a reason to reconsider Nintendo hardware.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 06:49:54 PM »

I honestly think that nothing short of Nintendo asking for the game specifically would convince Konami otherwise.

Nintendo fans give IGA and Konami sh*t for their lack commitment on Nintendo consoles, but really, can you blame them? Think about it not as Nintendo fans. The Playstation brand has been very good for them. Only now, with Wii, is there really a reason to reconsider Nintendo hardware.

Then explain why they took Symphony of the Night to the 360 for it's first port?  Nintendo has done just as much, if not more for Konami as Sony has.  I think the truth is that Konami is still mad at Nintendo from the NES games, and they're taking it all out on them now.  And yes, I think that's a poor decision as far as Konami goes.  After all, Konami was actually one of the better treated NES developers, being allowed to publish extra NES games under the label of Ultra and all.  Even Namco didn't get that treatment, and had to opt to release some titles on unlicensed cartridges.  So no, Nintendo didn't treat them well then, but they didn't treat them as bad as possible.

Then, the GBA comes along, and Konami isn't forced to jump through the same hoops Square-Enix has to to publish content on the device.  They don't have to commit to anything, whereas SE is forced to create an FF game on the Cube.  Konami is allowed to do whatever they want.  Now the DS comes along, and what happens?  They develop for it, and it becomes a top selling and top rated franchise for the system.  You'd think they'd recognize that kind of demand pretty easily, instead opting to move on to an untested market that offers them at best half the success that the DS could.  Why?  And why don't they choose to offer a Castlevania collection for the Wii, either?  There would be a pretty good demand for any game featuring SotN, too.  Do they really not like large profit?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 07:46:15 PM »

Then explain why they took Symphony of the Night to the 360 for it's first port?

Symphony of the Night is almost 100 MB on Xbox Live. Do you really want one game taking up almost 1/5 of your internal flash memory? Also, who's going to create the emulator for that game to work on the Virtual Console? IGA's team has nothing to do with the XBL port. And I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft dipped into their deep pockets again.

I didn't really understand your explanation, but here's my own theory: Nintendo, under Hiroshi Yamauchi, was really sh*tty to 3rd party developers. Sony came in, as an alternative to Nintendo (and, to a lesser degree, Sega), and does the opposite of everything Nintendo did that 3rd parties hated. I don't think it's about old grudges or anything. Nintendo f-ed up. That's it. Now, Sony's f-ing up and you can see some 3rd parties becoming weary. With Wii, Nintendo has to earn 3rd party support after having lost it with their own arrogance and selfishness. I think they've done a pretty good job of that so far.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 07:53:41 PM »
I'm saying that Konami wasn't one of the shoddily treated developers back then, and they haven't been treated too badly compared to other devs even now, yet they still refuse to give Nintendo anything if possible.

I think they could have made a Castlevania Collection disk and done well, or released a port of the game on a handheld and done well, too, however, they won't, and that's really a pretty poor financial decision.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 07:56:11 PM »
Is this the same guy that's against having female main characters for some awful, sexist reason?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 09:38:38 PM »

Now, Sony's f-ing up and you can see some 3rd parties becoming weary. With Wii, Nintendo has to earn 3rd party support after having lost it with their own arrogance and selfishness. I think they've done a pretty good job of that so far.

Okay, which is a good point about the Wii's current situation... but this is in the handheld arena. GBA was untested its generation, while the DS is way ahead of the PSP. The excuse in this regard by Konami is pretty thin.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 10:10:47 PM »
Iga loves 2D?

I've seen multiple discussions where he tried to convince everyone that 3D was the way to go, which is why he put out the PS2 games.

Then they sucked and didn't sell well so he backed off that commentary.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 02:11:11 AM »
What is annoying about this comments isn't that he has an opinion about what audience he thinks will like his games more.

It is that he ignores all evidence contradicting his comments and makes a fool of himself.

The current DS user base is more than twice as large as the PSP user base.  It would be arrogant and statistically flawed to assume that all the PSP audience is older gamers than the DS audience.  The DS market by default is going to have a larger user base of older gamers, younger gamers, non-gamers.  Practically every demographic imaginable larger.  

Next, you have just released 2 critically acclaimed Castlevania games on a platform that YOU believe doesn't have the core audience for your games.  How did they sell?  Were they reviewed well?  Received well?  I believe the answer to that is YES.  And it is going to be sad when your PSP game is released and doesn't get the same numbers as the DS games...because its userbase is smaller.  

When will developers stop being prejudice and downright STUPID towards Nintendo.  It is like developers, media, and gamers don't want to give Nintendo a break and are pushing this younger demographic upon them like a plague...when in reality that is only one part of Nintendo's audience and market strategy...and the truth is you are beginning to see both Microsoft and Sony wishing they can get an opening into that market share as well.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 02:44:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
When will developers stop being prejudice and downright STUPID towards Nintendo.  It is like developers, media, and gamers don't want to give Nintendo a break and are pushing this younger demographic upon them like a plague...when in reality that is only one part of Nintendo's audience and market strategy...and the truth is you are beginning to see both Microsoft and Sony wishing they can get an opening into that market share as well.

When the PS3 fails completely and the Xbox 360 continues to languish they will be forced to look towards Nintendo for salvation.  Right now the world is focused on Wii and DS.  Continue to ignore that and they will suffer.  You think the game of catch up developers are going through after Wii proved to be a force of nature is hard on them, just image what will happen when developers are forced to accept Nintendo or fade away completely.

PS3 and Xbox 360 have not expanded the consumer base, hell the Xbox 360 hasn't expanded on the original Xbox.  The PSP has failed to prove it is relevant in a Nintendo DS world.

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 04:23:09 AM »
I think it's already apparent that the anime designs are cheaper, PoR had several portraits for each character and used them to express a character's feelings while e.g. Aria of Sorrow had only one portrait for each character (if you count Dracula separately) that had the same generic expression whether the character was happy, dead or about to turn into a huge monster. While Kojima has her own style her individual characters lack distinction, you can barely tell e.g. Juste Belmont and Alucard apart from each other. Or the PS2 covers. Those characters have more in common than they differ in, even down to the same apathic expression on their faces. I'm not sure anime is the way to go but I'm sure I'd rather have someone who has more than a personal style to offer in charge of those portraits.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 04:32:08 AM »
I personally prefer the anime design of the two DS games because Konami says I shouldn't.  I like them in spite of them, and find the the other artwork soulless and trite. =D

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 07:57:21 AM »
Although DS is currently raping PSP, I can see how one would think that PSP has a larger audience of older gamers. Numbers and percentages yield different results. Younger gamers and non-gamers make up a good chunk of the DS user base, skewing the percentage. At originally $250, I imagine many parents said "F*ck that" to PSP. In terms of numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if DS and PSP had about the same number of older gamers (though I'm inclined to give DS the edge). So while I don't agree that PSP has more older gamers than DS, I can see how Konami could come to that conclusion.

In any case... Damn, you Nintendo fans are hard to please! As a Castlevania fan and a DS owner, I wish this was on DS too. However, between GBA and DS, Konami released, count it, FOUR original Castlevania games. I wouldn't be surprised if Konami announced something new at E3 in July. PSP, on the other hand, is getting a remake of a 14 year old game. The ports of the original Rondo of Blood and (a newly translated and voiced) Symphony of the Night are quite attractive, but they're bonuses. It's a great bonus though the same package wouldn't fit onto a DS card.

PSP has carved a decent portion of the market. Sony has done fairly well considering how drastically every other company has failed against Nintendo. I think people take too much credit away from these companies. PSP may not be as huge as DS, but I think there's still an audience for these games or these publishers wouldn't bother. And really, DS is still getting major support from all sides.

On a semi-related note, I think another DS Castlevania is inevitable and a Wii game will likely be made too.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2007, 08:07:11 AM »

However, between GBA and DS, Konami released, count it, FOUR original Castlevania games.
Actually, it was five.

Circle of the Moon (2001)
Harmony of Dissonance (2002)
Aria of Sorrow (2003)
Dawn of Sorrow (2005)
Portrait of Ruin (2006)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2007, 08:29:21 AM »
owned so bad.

~~~~~

PSP game sales are having difficulty supporting the idea that the older gamers are buying games and/or gaming at all.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2007, 09:36:38 AM »
I don't think most of the Nintendo fans are upset with a Castlevania game going to PSP.  I know I am not upset with the game.  

I think the game looks really cool, and I know a friend who is really going to enjoy the experience.  

What we are frustrated with is Iga's comments about the DS user base and Castlevania fans.  It shows ignorance and is absolutely unacceptable and unprofessional.  Iga is a royal dick who has constantly put his foot in his mouth and has bad mouthed Nintendo every chance he gets.

What is worse is that he has no proof of the claims he makes.  He is just assuming that because of the cost, types of games on the PSP, and the audience Sony advertises for that the PSP has an older market demographic and will reach more potential buyers.

I think this is bullcrap.  I think the PSP may have a higher percentage of older gamers within their user base...But it is not 70%+ older gamers.  The PSP still appeals to all ages and even demographics that don't play games period, and just using it as a mass media device.  

The point is.  Even if the DS's userbase is only 50% older gamers (which I think is low) it would still have a higher potential user base for Castlevania than the PSP because of the number of units sold.

Another fact Iga ignores is kids from 10+ love to be scared and play/read scary entertainment and monsters.  So Castlevania may have a much broader market than he realizes.  

But again, all this contraverse would have been avoided if we would have just made a better public statement.  Something like:

"I am pleased to introduce Castlevania on a new portable device and opening up the franchise to a new gamers that may not have experienced it on the DS."

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 10:06:27 AM »

vudu wrote:
Actually, it was five.

Circle of the Moon isn't canon. In any case, I meant IGA's team. Please accept my sincerest apologies........

Spak-Spang wrote:
What we are frustrated with is Iga's comments about the DS user base and Castlevania fans. It shows ignorance and is absolutely unacceptable and unprofessional. Iga is a royal dick who has constantly put his foot in his mouth and has bad mouthed Nintendo every chance he gets.

I think the real problem here is that when someone says something even mildly anti-Nintendo, every Nintendo fan flies off the handle. Despite what IGA says, Nintendo still got quality original titles. But that's not good enough, is it? He has to stroke some Nintendo cock too. You're getting frustrated over PR. Do you really take developer interviews to heart? If so, shouldn't you be super-pissed at Miyamoto because you're not playing Super Mario Galaxy right now? He f*cking lied to us, the slippery bastard.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2007, 10:09:23 AM »

vudu wrote:
Actually, it was five.

Circle of the Moon isn't canon. In any case, I meant IGA's team. Please accept my sincerest apologies........

Spak-Spang wrote:
What we are frustrated with is Iga's comments about the DS user base and Castlevania fans. It shows ignorance and is absolutely unacceptable and unprofessional. Iga is a royal dick who has constantly put his foot in his mouth and has bad mouthed Nintendo every chance he gets.

I think the real problem here is that when someone says something even mildly anti-Nintendo, every Nintendo fan flies off the handle. Despite what IGA says, Nintendo still got quality original titles. But that's not good enough, is it? He has to stroke some Nintendo cock too. You're getting frustrated over PR. Do you really take developer interviews to heart? If so, shouldn't you be super-pissed at Miyamoto because you're not playing Super Mario Galaxy right now? He f*cking lied to us, the slippery bastard.

I think Adrock is trying to be cool by being a so called "anti-fanboi" machine but in turn becomes a fanboi of the opposite side.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 10:29:13 AM »
He's finding his niche.

[REGGIE] "I guess when you’re not doing well you have to grasp at something."

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 10:33:53 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I think Adrock is trying to be cool by being a so called "anti-fanboi" machine but in turn becomes a fanboi of the opposite side.

HEY!!! THAT'S MY JOB!!!!

HALO IS INNOVATIVE
GEARS OF WAR IS VERY COOL
GTA WAS GROUNDBREAKING

*huff...puff*

DON'T BUY NINTENDO FIRST PARTY TITLES UNTIL A YEAR AFTER RELEASE!!!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2007, 10:39:04 AM »
Yes, I'm trying to be cool... on an internet Nintendo message board. Are you kidding me?

I'm all for fairness. I'm simply saying that Nintendo should be held up to the same standards as everyone else. And the truth is, despite all this complaining, Konami released some great, original Castlevania titles on Nintendo hardware. Everyone forgets that and focuses on PR from an interview. That's ridiculous. If GBA/DS received no Castlevania titles and IGA said all that, I would see a reason for all this. But that's not the case at all.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 10:42:34 AM »

Yes, I'm trying to be cool... on an internet Nintendo message board. Are you kidding me?

I'm all for fairness. I'm simply saying that Nintendo should be held up to the same standards as everyone else. And the truth is, despite all this complaining, Konami released some great, original Castlevania titles on Nintendo hardware. Everyone forgets that and focuses on PR from an interview. That's ridiculous. If GBA/DS received no Castlevania titles and IGA said all that, I would see a reason for all this. But that's not the case at all.

Hmmm... guys, the man's got a point. Why are we complaining about these statements when they're not yet backed up by actions?

... oh wait, I think a lot of people are extrapolating this to meaning that Konami doesn't believe that Castlevania should be on the Wii. Now THAT is a thing for a Nintendo fan to complain about though, isn't it?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 10:45:19 AM »
Personally I don't care about the CV series, it can be trashed and I would not care. In regards to holding Nintendo to the standard of other companies, there are few companies that actually compare to Nintendo in quality and innovation, so you can't really hold them to the same standard when it comes to gaming. Comparing SMG to Halo 3 is perhaps the lamest comparison around when you are dealing with freshness.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 10:53:54 AM »

That's not even remotely what people are upset about.  He's implying that we might not get any more Castlevania games.  We're not the right audience for them, after all.

Besides that, his statements are demonstrably boneheaded, and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out and laughing at him.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2007, 10:58:22 AM »
IGA said he wasn't sure about Castlevania on Wii because people might get tired. I'll buy that for now though there are a number of things I don't agree with. For example, the game doesn't have to use the Wii remote (and even if it does, there's Twilight Princess), nor does it even need to be 3D. I would prefer a 2D Castlevania that put Symphony of the Night to shame.

If Nintendo continues its dominance with Wii and Konami/IGA announces Castlevania on PS3/360, I'd light the torches with the rest of you guys. At that point, I would concede that something was amiss. Nintendo has come a long way in terms of 3rd party relations (thanks in large part to Satoru Iwata) and Wii is great hardware.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2007, 11:02:02 AM »
Wow.  I am not a fanboy.

As I said, I am really excited about Castlevania on the PSP.  I am quite jealous of the Xbox 360 with several of its games...and I am sure eventually I will be jealous about the PS3.

Believe it or not, this isn't about saying negative things about Nintendo or not.  I have said several negative things about Nintendo, and I am frustrated by them at times.

What this IS about is a game designer that people actually do respect and listen to his opinion spill out false garbage about not just the DS but Nintendo in general...and is continuing a propaganda that has hurt Nintendo's sales and image in the industry and has kept developers from putting more mature titles on Nintendo systems.

You know I would have been fine if Iga said that he had a specific vision for the lastest Castlevania that could only be achieved with the power of PSP.  Or if he noted that he felt the PSP audience would appreciate a Castlevania game.  

There are several ways hyping the game and saying the something similar without being a jerk.

And he doesn't get a pass on this because its his first time.  He has numerously shown negative opinions of Nintendo and the Wii.  

His most obnoxious comment was that he could see how a Castlevania game would work on the Wii...that his games are too epic and the system wouldn't work would make gamers tired.  

After he made that statement we all debated and discussed controls for a Castlevania game...and we all had great ideas.  We are amateur fans and we could come up with the game design neccessary and he failed to have the imagination to create.

And I stand by that those comments are unprofessional.  It is unprofessional to hype your game by neglecting or tearing down another audience...that just happens to also support your games.  It is unprofessional to favor one artist over all your others, belittle the work of your peers making games for you.  It is unprofessional to assume that your games only sold to a younger market because it was on a DS...when there is no statistical data you could have to back up those claims.

*sigh*  But you are right...I am just an upset Nintendo Fanboy...that would defend his arguments if it was against the PSP.  (No wait, I have written defensively about the PS3 and the Xbox 360 on these boards.)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2007, 11:21:04 AM »
To be completely fair, I didn't call you a fanboy. And I wasn't pointing the finger squarely on you.

I get what you're saying. It's just that if IGA was so anti-Nintendo, I don't think either DS Castlevania titles would even be on DS. I also don't think this interview or any other jeopardizes the series on Nintendo hardware. These game designers say sh*t all the time. I brought up Miyamoto earlier. I'm not bitter that I'm not playing Galaxy 6 months after launch. I don't think these interviews should be taken so seriously. The only thing they're careful about is not talking about what they're told not to talk about. Everything else is like 50/50 in truthiness.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2007, 01:02:22 PM »

To be completely fair, I didn't call you a fanboy. And I wasn't pointing the finger squarely on you.

I get what you're saying. It's just that if IGA was so anti-Nintendo, I don't think either DS Castlevania titles would even be on DS. I also don't think this interview or any other jeopardizes the series on Nintendo hardware. These game designers say sh*t all the time. I brought up Miyamoto earlier. I'm not bitter that I'm not playing Galaxy 6 months after launch. I don't think these interviews should be taken so seriously. The only thing they're careful about is not talking about what they're told not to talk about. Everything else is like 50/50 in truthiness.

I do agree with you in regards to this comment, it could easily be PR speak. Konami is obviously trying to put make money off the PSP which is struggling, so it could easily be a PR move to try and stir up the "Hardcore" who own PSP or are thinking of getting on.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2007, 03:24:41 PM »
Adrock:  I guess since you were quoting me alot I decided to make it directed at me.

I do understand not taking things so seriously, and usually that is my motto, and I hate complainers (and I know I am complaining so I must hate myself.)

I am just tired of the years and years of Nintendo isn't mature talk.  It is tiring and despite whatever Nintendo does to change that image nothing works.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2007, 06:41:16 PM »
In the console space, Nintendo hasn't done too much to change its image until recently. Manhunt 2 is an (extreme) example of Nintendo actively pursuing 3rd parties who create other kinds of games. This is Nintendo really, really trying to be the "and" company they strive for. They've always said it, but never really made an effort in the past. They kind of just half-assed it before. It didn't work and I kind of feel like 3rd parties are still used to the Nintendo that sat back and expected publishers to come to them or settled for just Resident Evil. It'll take a while for the stigma to go away, but Nintendo has to just keep working at it. I feel like Nintendo is taking this task seriously and from what I've seen, at least, it's beginning to pay off.

In the handheld space, I don't think Nintendo has really tried to alter its image too much. The Lite design is a nice middle ground. It's simplicity alienates no one whereas the original purple GBA did. I think handheld gaming is very much tied to playground culture. Their handhelds will have an older audience, but it'll focus primarily younger gamers, percentage wise. And I think that's still ok. If the ratio of games for certain audiences matches the user base, I think that's something everyone can live with.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2007, 06:42:20 PM »
While these comments irritate me, they will do little to prevent me from purchasing the game the day it comes out.  

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2007, 02:38:37 AM »
I dunno the Gamecube had:

Resident Evil Series (With two new games, and one awesome remake.)
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
Eternal Darkness
Killer 7
Mortal Kombat Series
Prince of Persia Series
Geist

Then not Mature games but still games geared toward older gamers:

EA Sports games
Racing games

I know it did not have the same amount of game content as the other systems, but I believe part of that is 3rd party self fullfilled problems.  Once 3rd parties decided to not to attempt to create a mature game on the Gamecube and definitely when they decided not to advertise it of course sales were bad.  Then they just stopped trying.  I want to avoid that happening again.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2007, 06:11:23 AM »
I don't think Iga has a problem with Nintendo, I think he just honestly buys into the idea that Nintendo is for kids.  I have no idea why, but I'm not worried because I think the sales for the PSP Castlevania will prove his intuition wrong.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2007, 07:35:46 AM »
I really hate to defend IGA, but I think there's some "Lost in Translation" in that interview.

I assume many people here know that Castlevania in Japan is basically tanking.
From just about every Castlevania(CV) since Circle of the Moon, the CV series has sold about
5x better in the west then compared to Japan.  

When IGA took the series over he made a switch to an anime art style to help boost it's appeal to younger gamers in Japan.  
Remember he didn't take over the series until Harmony of Dissonance.  I guess the GBA in Japan was still considered a toy skewed at younger kids.
It wasn't until the DS that Nintendo started the "blue-ocean"/casual gamer strategy.  
When Harmony through Portrait failed to gain much traction in Japan IGA switched gears.

If you look at Rondo screenshots it has a more of western art stytle with a very old-school CV appeal to it.
In the west if SOTN was your first CV, you most likely never heard of Rondo unless you were a older hardcore gamer.
I guess Kojima is doing the artwork for Rondo, but it looks much different then her GBA/DS work.

Granted these facts don't let IGA off the hook for his comments about Nintendo.
He kinda reminds me a of milder David Jaffe.

I need take a shower in bleach.  Defending IGA is dirty business...

Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2007, 10:47:05 PM »
I don't think he believes what he is saying at all.  He simply needs to give everyone a reason why he is moving the game to another platform and since no valid reason exists he decides to throw in a false stereotype just to back it up.  Half truths and propaganda are used all the time to justify poorly performing games and receiving money hats, nothing has changed.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2007, 02:37:05 AM »
Some people, like IGA, put their mouths in motion before they put their minds in gear.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2007, 10:19:01 AM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
I don't think he believes what he is saying at all.  He simply needs to give everyone a reason why he is moving the game to another platform and since no valid reason exists he decides to throw in a false stereotype just to back it up.  Half truths and propaganda are used all the time to justify poorly performing games and receiving money hats, nothing has changed.

I think you are right, all this is, is a way to promote their games to the PSP crowd. I'll admit though I am getting tired of the mature argument used against Nintendo from Konami, especially taking into consideration the new statistics on the age of the average Wii gamer. Oh well, they will hopefully learn sometime!

Offline RawsteelUT

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2007, 06:31:19 PM »
I'm going to at least try to give the guy a little credit.  He can't be a complete jackass.  What I want to know is:

A)What were the sales numbers for each of the DS Castlevanias?
B)How much lower (or higher) are these numbers, on average, than the GBA Castlevanias?
C)Considering Konami's top PSP game was Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (definately not a game for kids), what were the PSP sales for it?  Perhaps IGA expects it to do at least somewhat as well?
You got nine lives?  Well I got ten shots.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2007, 12:13:20 PM »
Dunno about Japan, but in America Portrait of ruin actually whipped Metal Gear Portable in its launch month.  Which is pretty great considering that Castlevania wasn't supposed to save the DS and turn it all around.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
And that Metal Gear Solid Portable came out after Christmas?

... wait a sec, I remember hearing that MGSPO moved like 100k units in its launch maybe? I'm not sure if that's true... but if so, then how can anyone deny PoR hit a large audience?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2007, 02:03:02 PM »
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin were both released on the SAME DAY, December 5th here in America.  Metal Gear wasn't even able to hit the 100,000 mark in the NPD's sales for December while Portrait of Ruin sold around 120,000 copies in December.

Yet, Konami and IGA still believe the DS is for kids and the PSP is where all the older gamers are at.  Even though sales data has proven them wrong, they still love to insult the system that's doing them well, while giving all their love to the system that doesn't care for them at all.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2007, 08:43:40 AM »
stupidity knows no bounds.  when the PSP castlevania fails to sell well, I suspect that they will try again just to see if it were a fluke, like LoI and then CoD for PS2.  Then maybe after that they will realize that they were wrong.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2007, 05:43:38 AM »
Why is the DS a "children's system"? I never understood why Nintendo systems always get this stereotype. Is it because Nintendo doesn't make prostitute murdering simulations?

Nintendo doesn't make all the games, and Konami and others should realize that they as third party developers can influence the image of the system as well. If third parties made games for "mature" audiences on the DS and Wii then they can build such a market there. Just because Nintendo doesn't make murder/horror games doesn't mean that they can't.
is your sanity...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2007, 07:08:42 AM »
Hmmm... I just put down a pre-order for Brothers-In-Arms DS, maybe I should pre-order Dementium: The Ward as well now?