Author Topic: Epic Mickey - Wii Exclusive  (Read 162582 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Mickey - Wii Exclusive
« Reply #375 on: April 13, 2010, 05:19:11 AM »
It's supposed to release around Oct. of this year, so I would think there will be a huge blow out at E3.

Maybe it will get some time in the Nintendo E3 Press Conference. It is probably the biggest Disney game of the generation to date and it's also Wii exclusive so it might have a chance at special treatment.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 13, 2010, 05:22:10 AM »
It should get special treatment. I think this will be a major eye opener regarding Wii game sales. Or at least I hope it will be.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 13, 2010, 07:07:09 AM »
It should get special treatment. I think this will be a major eye opener regarding Wii game sales. Or at least I hope it will be.

So your prediction is 150k in sales? ;)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 13, 2010, 01:17:38 PM »
It's based on the most popular animated character, and it's being developed by Warren Spector and it's also (at least appears to be) a grade A platformer that could rival Nintendo's best.

If Disney does an advertising blowout, it might sell... 250k first month? Disney themselves have said their games sell better on Wii/DS.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 13, 2010, 07:50:45 PM »
Yeah you made me thought there was info, you bad bad person.

What's there to discuss? I'm intrigued and subscribed to the newsletter, thats all there is for now.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 13, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »
Has there been anything to report since last time? Nothing to discuss if we don't get more information.

I actually wonder what kind of selling power Mickey Mouse still has. When was the last time that anything major featuring Mickey was released?

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 13, 2010, 10:49:04 PM »
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, and the upcoming Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 13, 2010, 10:59:54 PM »
Those games had a bunch of Disney characters in them though, right?

I guess my question is, when was the last time Mickey starred in a videogame or movie?

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 13, 2010, 11:53:11 PM »
Those games had a bunch of Disney characters in them though, right?
Yes, but the mouse himself was (semi)important to the plot.

The last game that had Mickey in the lead role was Magical Mirror starring Mickey Mouse for the GCN... back in 2002. Basically was called Mickey Mousecapade in 3D (you know, the Capcom publish but Hudson made NES game?).

I thought the Magical Quest games on the SNES were pretty good though. The first one had awesome music.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 14, 2010, 12:56:19 AM »
I thought the second one was a GBA sequel to the SNES game? I loved the first one. A classic.

Mickey Speedway USA was the only one I could recall on the N64.

Was The GC Mickey game good? I don't remember hearing much about it and assumed the lull of information to mean it was a poor game.
My Game Collection

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 14, 2010, 01:19:31 AM »
Reviews panned the GCN game, since it was made for kids. Wasted potential right there.

Quote from: Stratos
I thought the second one was a GBA sequel to the SNES game? I loved the first one. A classic.
There were three Magical Quest games on the SNES. Two of them were released in the United States, the last one wasn't.

Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse
Great Circus Mystery starring Mickey and Minnie (GBA port renamed Magical Quest 2)
Mickey to Donald no Magical Quest 3 (not released in the states, IMHO the best in the Magical Quest series. DONALD IS PLAYABLE.)

The third one never played the GBA version played the SNES version via other means took the best of Magical Quest 1 and upped it. Mickey and Donald both had unique outfits which completely changed the way some levels were played, except the second costume if I remember correctly. It was the same thing.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 14, 2010, 01:32:49 AM »
Now I really want to try the second and third ones. I thought the GBA one was a quick cash-in on an older popular game.
My Game Collection

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 14, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »
The GBA ports, from what I heard, suffered from poor sound (obvious). Other then that, I heard nothing else.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 06, 2010, 03:47:51 PM »
Looks like Disney is set to publish 2 Epic Mickey books to coincide with the release of the Epic Mickey game for Wii.
Both books look to be aimed at the ages 9-12 yr old.

Epic Mickey - It's Your Call #1 / 144 pages (October 12, 2010)
Become Mickey Mouse as he travels through the Cartoon Wasteland full of rejected and forgotten creations. Battle fierce robots called “Beetleworx”, anamotronic blotlings, and Mickey’s older half brother, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit! Armed with a magical paintbrush, Mickey must stop the Phantom Blot who will stop at nothing to rule the Cartoon Wasteland, earn back his half-brother’s trust, and save the Cartoon Wasteland from total devastation! Are you up for the job?

Epic Mickey Junior Novel (Junior Novelization) / 192 pages (November 23, 2010)
When Mickey Mouse accidentally spills paint and paint thinner on a rendering of a model word called the Cartoon Wasteland, mayhem ensues! Unbeknownst to Mickey, the spill creates an evil monster called the Phantom Blot who will stop at nothing to take control of the Wasteland, and everything in it, including Mickey’s older half brother, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit! Unable to stop the Phantom Blot, Oswald goes into hiding and the Cartoon Wasteland is transformed into a hideous and twisted world. 

Many years passed and Mickey went on with his life, until one day he gets sucked through a mirror -- and winds up in the Cartoon Wasteland!  Armed with just a magical paintbrush that he took with him, Mickey must stop a Mad Doctor who works closely with the Phantom Blot, earn back his half-brother’s trust, and save the Cartoon Wasteland.
source: NeoGAF

Does this mean that Disney is putting a lot of money behind this since they can advertise the game and the books at the same time?

I'm hoping they announce a new cartoon to go with the game too.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 06, 2010, 04:16:25 PM »
Sounds like typical modern Disney, with more of an interest in the supplementary merchandise that can be exploited from a product than the product itself.  I'm a little disappointed by the decision to make a young reader series of books from the game, but whatever.  A new animated series would be kind of awesome if done right, though.  Hopefully the game will still be awesome.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:17:58 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 06, 2010, 09:38:53 PM »
So they are pulling a Metal Gear Solid novelization?

Um... good for them?

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 06, 2010, 10:32:37 PM »
Win back Oswald's trust? Damn. I was hoping he was going to be the final boss or something.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 06, 2010, 10:50:28 PM »
That doesn't necessarily mean Oswald can't be the final boss. Epic Mickey is envisioned as a trilogy so he could at least be the final boss of the first game, assuming of course they complete the trilogy. /points and laughs at Too Human

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 07, 2010, 01:40:33 AM »
Did you actual want a sequel to Too Human?  Bleh, now Shenmue III on the other hand.

And I think WS stated the game to have multiple playthroughs (good/bad ect) so you don't need to earn his trust, if you go against him maybe he will be an enemy boss.

Still can't wait to see more Epic Mickey at E3.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 07, 2010, 04:11:57 AM »
I have the impression that Oswald is to The Phantom Blot what Aghanim (sp?) and Zaant from the Zelda series were to Gannon. Oswald is a puppet and eventually you have to fight him to break the power the sinister true boss has on him.
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 07, 2010, 06:00:07 AM »
Win back Oswald's trust? Damn. I was hoping he was going to be the final boss or something.

I believe they already stated you won't get the option to kill Oswald (but you'll probably fight him a few times), it's still a Disney game and the moral spectrum is virtuous-mischievous, not good-evil. I suppose you do get to influence whether Mickey greets him with a sincere handshake or an electro shocker in his palm.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 07, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »
Did you actual want a sequel to Too Human?  Bleh, now Shenmue III on the other hand.
Yu Suzuki is no longer at Sega, and if the way Sega's development team are these days, they would fucking destroy the franchise.

Shenmue doesn't deserve that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 08, 2010, 12:00:31 AM »
/points and laughs at Too Human
Did you actual want a sequel to Too Human?
I don't know, dude. You tell me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 02, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned here yet since it's been reported somewhere else about a week ago, but;

EPIC Mickey to get a graphical overhaul?
The Wii-exclusive Epic Mickey may be seeing a graphics overhaul due to complaints from fans. The French site GameKyo (via CVG) reports that we'll see a new visual style unveiled at E3. Disney sent word that it "doesn't comment on speculation," but if the rumor is true we'll know in only two short weeks anyway.

The apparent reason for the change is the disparity between concept artwork and screenshots. Fans have felt the game could more closely imitate the stylized art. The developers may be struggling a bit to imitate the style using the more limited power of the Wii, but if the rumor pans out we'll see at E3 how well they've managed to pull it off.

I'm not sure what the power of the Wii has to do with the style of the graphics, but I hope they aim to more closely resemble the artwork we originally saw.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 02, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned here yet since it's been reported somewhere else about a week ago, but;

EPIC Mickey to get a graphical overhaul?
The Wii-exclusive Epic Mickey may be seeing a graphics overhaul due to complaints from fans. The French site GameKyo (via CVG) reports that we'll see a new visual style unveiled at E3. Disney sent word that it "doesn't comment on speculation," but if the rumor is true we'll know in only two short weeks anyway.

The apparent reason for the change is the disparity between concept artwork and screenshots. Fans have felt the game could more closely imitate the stylized art. The developers may be struggling a bit to imitate the style using the more limited power of the Wii, but if the rumor pans out we'll see at E3 how well they've managed to pull it off.

I'm not sure what the power of the Wii has to do with the style of the graphics, but I hope they aim to more closely resemble the artwork we originally saw.

Well, hopefully this rumor will be turn out to be true, because I have been very underwhelmed by this game's presentation so far.  They put out such badass concept art, and then released screenshots that look nothing like it.  The whole dark and twisted spin on well-known Disneyana is what makes the game look so appealing, so hopefully the finished product will hold more true to the original version.  Obviously, final product always deviates from concept art by necesssity, but it can at least be in the ballpark.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.