Author Topic: Epic Mickey - Wii Exclusive  (Read 162101 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Mickey - Wii Exclusive
« Reply #350 on: January 12, 2010, 06:32:58 PM »
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but doesn't it look like Oswald is holding a bong in that stained glass pic of him?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 12, 2010, 06:51:26 PM »
It does bear some resemblance to a bong but I would guess it is actually a science beaker of some substance bearing an impact on the game (something that Mickey has to clean up like the sludge in Mario Sunshine?).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 12, 2010, 11:01:03 PM »
That is a beaker, you can see the bubbles come up from it.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 12, 2010, 11:51:34 PM »
I know what it is, I was just saying what it kinda looked like.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 13, 2010, 12:01:09 AM »
I just wonder what the point is. We may find out the answer in late 2010.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 26, 2010, 08:04:34 PM »
Disney: EPIC Mickey to be as successful as a Nintendo Title
Disney Interactive Studios executive VP and general manager Graham Hopper says that the studio is striving to evolve storytelling, and entertainment itself, by leveraging properties across the wide range of media pipelines that reside under the Disney umbrella.
[...]
Protecting Mickey, Eying Nintendo

The highest-profile game due out of Disney Interactive Studios is Disney's Epic Mickey, a new game from game design guru Warren Spector's Junction Point Studios, which Disney acquired in 2007. Hopper and Disney Interactive Studios have been watching Nintendo's strategy in hopes of achieving success on a platform known for being tough for third parties.

"I think we've tried to learn from the things Nintendo does well," he says. "One of the things that Nintendo does on their own platforms is they give their projects the time and appropriate resources to be successful, and they iterate until they get there. And I think we're doing the same with Epic Mickey, giving it the time and resources to be successful."

He adds, "I'll tell you that I don't think all other third parties are approaching the Wii in the same way. If there's a third-party game that I think has potential to be as successful on the Wii to Nintendo levels, I'd like to think it's Disney Epic Mickey. We're following the same playbook."

Disney Interactive Studios is also known for its franchise-based games -- the company would crank out video game titles based on Hannah Montana and High School Musical regularly, leveraging the popularity and recognizability of the brands among younger players.

So it's rather strange that Mickey Mouse, the iconic anthropomorphic rodent upon which Disney was founded -- who's lovable and eternally kid-friendly -- is in so few games these days. Meanwhile, Mario is doing everything from kart racing to DDR.

"This has been a conscious approach, to try to withhold Mickey from the marketplace a little bit," says Hopper. "I didn't feel that we've been doing him justice in the games business. Simply using him as an icon or an avatar in a game really doesn't do a whole lot for us, and it doesn't agree with the value of who Mickey is as a character."

"We came up with the idea a few years back for Epic Mickey, and have been assembling the right creative team. It took us a while to find the right creative team and visionary to put behind it. Warren Spector has taken that idea and really evolved it. I think it'll be an awesome game."

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 26, 2010, 08:17:37 PM »
That sounds reassuring, but you know if it sells well, the other third parties are just going find another excuse for its sales.  "Only established franchises sell", "Only family games sell", and so on...

I'm excited to see that some people in the industry don't buy into it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 26, 2010, 08:31:57 PM »
That sounds reassuring, but you know if it sells well, the other third parties are just going find another excuse for its sales.  "Only established franchises sell", "Only family games sell", and so on...

Well, in all fairness if Mickey Mouse can't sell on Wii, nothing can.  It's not like there's anything working against the game on Wii, at least when it comes to attracting mass market attention.  Most 3rd party games on Wii can't say as much.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:34:30 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 26, 2010, 08:42:10 PM »
If Mickey Mouse can't sell on the Wii, then it won't sell on the other platforms. There was talk of possibly bringing the game to 360 and PS3 which is a terrible idea. Epic Mickey is specifically built for the Wii and its controller and the audience most likely to purchase the game are Wii owners.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 26, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
If Mickey Mouse can't sell on the Wii, then it won't sell on the other platforms. There was talk of possibly bringing the game to 360 and PS3 which is a terrible idea. Epic Mickey is specifically built for the Wii and its controller and the audience most likely to purchase the game are Wii owners.

I don't see anything wrong with bringing the game to the HD consoles and letting you see that artwork in full HD glory, especially with all the consoles soon having their own motion controllers so they can more easily port from Wii (especially Sony's wand).  But yes, if it doesn't sell on Wii it won't sell better elsewhere.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 26, 2010, 11:43:23 PM »
If a game is planned from the beginning to be a multiplatform game, that's a-ok with me. However, Epic Mickey was made for the Wii after making the game for 360/PS3 was dropped. Deciding more than half-way through development that HD versions need to be made spells trouble. What does that mean for the Wii version? Would Warren Spector have to divide his attention away from the main Wii version? If he doesn't, will that mean the other versions will suffer?

I just think it's better for Disney/Junction Point to focus on making this game the best it can be and since it's already on the Wii, make it the best Wii game it can be. Considering other versions at this point is a distraction and not worth potentially delaying the game or causing problems with the Wii version already neck deep in development.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 27, 2010, 02:27:33 AM »
Well, in all fairness if Mickey Mouse can't sell on Wii, nothing can.

You mean a properly made Mickey Mouse game with Warren Spector at the helm. Of course a cheapo cash-in wouldn't work but this is Warren Spector. The only worry is that it might end up too deep for most people.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 27, 2010, 04:40:02 AM »
i wonder how many frames of vector animation could be stored on one dvd? Thats me thinking about the future.

This game is awesome.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 27, 2010, 12:15:36 PM »
If this is marketed well, it could be a decent seller. But it seems awfully niche. The people who like "hardcore" video games aren't necessarily the people who like Mickey Mouse.

Kingdom Hearts sold well but it had the Square Enix Final Fantasy thing going for it. Gaming has changed since Kingdom Hearts though, if Kingdom Hearts launched as a new franchise today, I don't think it would be as big of a hit.

That being said, I like Mickey Mouse and look forward to this game.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:50:54 PM by ShyGuy² »

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 27, 2010, 01:44:46 PM »
The only problem I find with Mickey Mouse is that he is boring as a character. The fact you can change Mickey with different actions is very pleasing.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 27, 2010, 06:28:50 PM »
If nothing else, Disney's confidence confirms they're not going to send it out to die with no advertising like all other 3rd party Wii games. That alone gives it a much better shot at success.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 27, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »
I'm assuming these comments mean the game will actually be advertised. Hopefully.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2010, 07:48:28 PM »
Before every Disney Produced movie in the theater, before every Disney release on DVD/Bluray, on every Disney Owned TV station (including ABC & ESPN), print ads in Disney magazines and some sort of crossover at every Disney Theme park.

And that's just the cheapest way for them to push a game starring their most iconic mascot.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 27, 2010, 07:52:56 PM »
Yeah, this game is going to sell big if they just do that. In fact, I think it will become the highest selling 3rd party game on Wii. The only competitors for it in my mind are the Guitar Hero games and Mario & Sonic series and many people don't even count those since Mario is in them.

That is my prediction.*

*Assuming they put a Disney sized marketing push on the game and don't abandon it to die like other companies do.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 27, 2010, 07:57:54 PM »
I don't think we have to worry about Epic Mickey not selling on Wii, not with the Disney Marketing Machine and the Star Power of Mickey Mouse behind it.  The only question is whether it's going to sell "well" or "exceptionally well", where I suppose is where we gamers factor in and it's probably going to be dependent on how much general Disney is stressed in the marketing.  I know I can't stand Mickey Mouse.  I'm getting this game for the interesting take on Disney's other properties.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 27, 2010, 10:30:07 PM »
I have feeling that this game will open the door for the next kingdom hearts game to come to the wii. Perhaps the characters of this game could be used in KH3 and considering that 358/2 days sold farely well, it could happen if Square and Disney collaborated Nintendo.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 28, 2010, 05:50:06 AM »
358/2 sold well? I thought it was underwhelming in sales. Or did I miss something and it only sold poorly in Japan?
My Game Collection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 28, 2010, 09:29:42 AM »
The only problem I find with Mickey Mouse is that he is boring as a character. The fact you can change Mickey with different actions is very pleasing.

Again, that's the whole point of Epic Mickey. Mickey Mouse has become too bland and boring, pretty much just a shallow image to be printed on merchandise. Epic Mickey is Disney's plan to revive Mickey Mouse and turn him into an interesting character again. That is why Warren Spector gave up independence and joined Disney. To revive Mickey Mouse.

Disney is going to put some serious resources behind this game if they really take it as seriously as they claim.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 28, 2010, 12:57:21 PM »
I'd just like to say that Epic Mickey is the worst name ever and I hope it's not final.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 13, 2010, 05:13:49 AM »
Anyone hoping for more of a reveal for this game at E3?

I know I've probably tricked some people into thinking there is some new info, but I'm just sad discussion of the game has tapered off.
My Game Collection