Author Topic: Any Vita owners here?  (Read 44249 times)

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
Re: Any Vita owners here?
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2012, 04:39:29 AM »

@Einstein: I applaud your steadfastness in the face of all this "convergence" tomfoolery :p

Convergence is fine for playing Cut the Rope whilst standing in a queue or checking facebook on your lunch break. But there's a good reason people with iphones still buy Kindles and DSLRs.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2012, 04:41:49 AM »
But...but...bags are girly! :(

But girls are awesome!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2012, 03:51:08 PM »
That they are.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2012, 01:21:03 AM »
Rayman is arguably the best game on the system right now. Uncharted was good, but it was over pretty quickly. Gravity Rush is fun but pretty uneven.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2012, 05:30:18 AM »
Rayman is arguably the best game on the system right now. Uncharted was good, but it was over pretty quickly. Gravity Rush is fun but pretty uneven.

I'll have to check that out at some point. The only Rayman game I've played was the 3DS remake of Rayman2 which I hated, but I can be very forgiving  ;D

So far my favourite Vita game is Stardust Delta. When you turn off the touch screen nonsense the game is a first rate arcade rush. I also really enjoyed Uncharted. It got off to a slow start for me with a few too many charcoal rubbings and tutorials in the first couple of chapters, but it hooked me and I enjoyed playing it through twice.

Right now I'm playing Resistance Burning Skies and it's not good. The graphics & animation on the human models is dreadful, PSP stuff at best. The sound design is dire, the weapons sound like pop guns. The check points are frustrating. The levels are all linear corridors. After Uncharted's shooting action it's a huge let down. I hope CODBLOPS does a better job.

I'm keen to try Gravity Rush.

Did anybody else pick up any bargains in the PSN Vita sale?
I picked up Everybodies Golf & Tales from Space for my Linderman pile.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2012, 10:17:24 PM »
Yeah, Gravity Rush is fun too, but it drags on a bit too long.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2012, 12:04:11 PM »
I bought three more Vita games: Uncharted, Gravity Rush and Hot Shots Golf. I still haven't played any of them, though, because I've been too hooked on FIFA and Rayman.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2012, 12:43:07 PM »
I opened Wipeout yesterday. I've had it for a week. My Vita time has been spent playing Gravity Rush and Power Stone Collection (which was $5 as part of a sale last week).
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
I'll be buying Wipeout when it's on sale Sunday. Unless the download code is eligible for the sale, that will be my first physical Vita game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Hey Einstein!

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »
I opened Wipeout yesterday. I've had it for a week. My Vita time has been spent playing Gravity Rush and Power Stone Collection (which was $5 as part of a sale last week).

Wish we'd had that same sale in the UK as Power Stone is one I really want to pick up. But the sales we have had have been pretty decent. This weeks is all FF games, not sure whether to believe the Sony promise of PS1 compatibility by the end of the summer or not as FFVI & VII are both featured. But I know I'll never get round to playing them on the PS3 and suspect that PS1 compatibility will be as botched and drip fed as PSP game have been.

But saying that, does anybody else find that they are a lot more interested in the PSP back catalog on the Vita then they ever where before. I've had 2 PSPs and I'm suddenly eyeing up titles I would never had bothered with.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2012, 12:09:59 AM »
I bought my first physical retail Vita game today, Unit 13, because it was on sale at GameStop for $20. Will likely be picking up Wipeout the same way when it's on sale Sunday. I'd much rather have it digitally, but I can't really argue with half price.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2012, 04:39:27 AM »
Well I just bit on gamestops online deal with Mortal Kombat for the vita.  9.99.   With shipping a little less than 15 dollars brand new.   Haven't played it on the consoles yet either.  So seems like a fairly decent deal to me.  Looking forward to playing it.  :)  http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/games/mortal-kombat/98982

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2012, 08:06:49 PM »
Has there been any news regarding when PS1 compatibility is coming beyond "summer"?

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »
Has there been any news regarding when PS1 compatibility is coming beyond "summer"?

The date I'm seeing floating around the Twitter-verse is July 20th.  I haven't seen that information myself, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »
I forget where I saw it (Kotaku perhaps?) but I read that the Vita PS1 classics compatibility will not be 100% but will broaden over time in the same way as PSP titles. I hope this isn't true though.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »
I forget where I saw it (Kotaku perhaps?) but I read that the Vita PS1 classics compatibility will not be 100% but will broaden over time in the same way as PSP titles. I hope this isn't true though.

Yeah, I saw that mentioned in a PlayStation Blog post sometime around E3.  Supposedly Sony's putting some major improvements into their PS1 emulator for Vita, such as forcing games to allow twin/analog stick support (something I'd really like to see on the PS3 as well, since it would make certain PS1 games so much more playable), which is their cover story for why the games are just going to trickle out.  It's the same cover story they've used on the BC support for digital PSP titles on Vita.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
Forcing twin analog stick support is a bad idea and if I was a developer I would tell Sony "**** you, i'm not wasting time or money to do it). Smaller developers or ones with niche games especially have little incentive to do it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »
Just a minor update, but last night Sony finally released a Vita-compatible version of the PSP's Resistance Retribution on the NA PSN.  The game is quite good and plays much better with a 2nd stick than with the face buttons acting as the camera, but this is especially notable for me since this was the last digital PSP game I had that I couldn't play on Vita.  So I can now finally play all my PSP games on Vita.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2012, 10:28:57 PM »
After how decidedly mediocre the Vita Resistance game was I'm hesitant to pick that one up, but I have heard good things.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Hey Einstein!

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2012, 07:54:16 AM »
After how decidedly mediocre the Vita Resistance game was I'm hesitant to pick that one up, but I have heard good things.

With you on that one! Although I think mediocre is a little generous.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2012, 08:24:17 AM »

Granted, I haven't finished it yet, but Resistance Retribution is actually a good game made by the company who made Uncharted: Golden Abyss on Vita (Sony Bend).  IMO, it's one of the two games in that franchise that are actually worth a damn (the other being Resistance 3).  It is a bit pricey at $20, though.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
I bought a Vita because a store had a special on console hardware and a portable seemed like a better option than a PS3 at home due to my commuter lifestyle. Got Unit 13 as my retail game (along with Asura's Wrath for the 360 and Kirby's Epic Yarn to get a bulk discount) and the only issue I had so far is that I tend to set off the virtual buttons on the touchscreen with the thumbs I use to control the analog sticks. Leaping over cover by accident is practically instant death in that game.

I've been mostly playing ZHP, Nippon Ichi games seem to be very numerous on the system (mostly in the PSP section) but I hated Disgaea because it was too grindy (which is a bit like saying the surface of the sun is too warm, Disgaea is the epitome of grind, taking it to Yo Dawg levels with the option to grind for experience while you grind your items up) and I suspect their other games will be just like that. At least in ZHP there's only one character to worry about. Still I must have misread some description because I recall it being called an action RPG which it is definitely not (it's a roguelike). Other than that it's been minis and minor games, OMG Z, Velocity and Mutant Blobs Attack. Not convinced on Stardust, I played Super Stardust back in the day on my VGA-equipped 386 but matching weapon types to enemies just doesn't sound like fun to me.

Forcing twin analog stick support is a bad idea and if I was a developer I would tell Sony "**** you, i'm not wasting time or money to do it). Smaller developers or ones with niche games especially have little incentive to do it.

I have a cheap PC gamepad where turning the analog mode off makes the analog sticks report as d-pad and button inputs, that could be implemented on the emulator level without requiring any game changes.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2012, 10:15:46 PM »
It'll be nice when Sony allows remote play on this thing.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
It'll be nice when Sony allows remote play on this thing.

Here here!!!!
It's all gone very quiet on that front. Back when it was announced remote play was the main reason I was interested in the Vita. Stroof I would buy a Sony Tablet if it let me have proper remote play of my PS3 games (via a Dual Shock  3 though)!

I had a sneaking suspicion when the Vita launched and remote play was nowhere to be seen that it had fallen off the to do list along with PS1 compatibility. I'm hoping that they are saving it to launch around the Wii U launch to try to take some of the heat away from Nintendo. But it's a slight hope.

Please don't anybody tell me that PSP style remote play works on the Vita right now. It is not a nice thing.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »
You can now get portable Cho Aniki for 5€. Expect the Vita to fly off the shelves. (in other words, PS1 compatibility is a go and I have another system library to learn about and search for good games)