Author Topic: I hate iTunes  (Read 14014 times)

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
Re: I hate iTunes
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2010, 12:42:21 PM »
Not everyone likes how iTunes chooses to organize their music.  I have a very specific organizational structure to my music that is totally different than what iTunes uses.  Some people like to actually have some measure of control over their computing experience, but that goes against the Apple philosophy.  It is not like it is hard to have a media player that keeps track of changes in your music, lots of other developers have done it (in fact I would say it is pretty much a standard feature of modern media players).  So it is a perfectly legitimate complaint.

I never suggested that no one should want to organize their music differently from how iTunes does it. That's fine, and if that's the case, iTunes might not be the program for you! But what EasyCure is wanting to do IS something that iTunes can do automatically.

Anyway, it's really disingenuous to suggest that using Apple software means having no control over your computing experience. iTunes is scriptable, after all, and Mac OS X in general is endlessly hackable/customizable. If people don't do it as much as they do it to Windows, it's more likely that it's because they're happier with the default Mac OS X experience than the default Windows experience. At least, that's been my experience in using the two platforms.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:46:18 PM by NWR_Grant »
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2010, 01:17:25 PM »
vudu, did you try unchecking "Manually manage music", and then going to the Podcast tab and making sure no podcasts are checked?

I don't subscribe to any podcasts through iTunes--I download them manually and then add them manually.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 01:36:42 PM »
I didn't read any of the previous posts but I would still say that you should just use MediaMonkey. It'll play anything and everything you throw at it. It syncs with ipods and iphones and even allows you to customize how the songs are automatically converted just in case they aren't a file an ipod can play. It allows you to stream podcasts and regularly updates (everytime you open it, it'll check). It also has Last.FM built right into which is perfect for parties. Oh and speaking of parties, it has a "Party Mode" which locks people from changing the song. They can still suggest something by double clicking it and it'll show up in a suggestion box. Oh and it also has the best visualizer in the business, not to mention you can design the look of it in anyway you want.

Just take a look at mine.

I made that background (or at least leveled and cropped it)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:39:40 PM by Dante "Blazin' The Amazin" Person of African Persuasion »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 02:36:41 PM »
Not everyone likes how iTunes chooses to organize their music.  I have a very specific organizational structure to my music that is totally different than what iTunes uses.  Some people like to actually have some measure of control over their computing experience, but that goes against the Apple philosophy.  It is not like it is hard to have a media player that keeps track of changes in your music, lots of other developers have done it (in fact I would say it is pretty much a standard feature of modern media players).  So it is a perfectly legitimate complaint.

I never suggested that no one should want to organize their music differently from how iTunes does it. That's fine, and if that's the case, iTunes might not be the program for you! But what EasyCure is wanting to do IS something that iTunes can do automatically.

Anyway, it's really disingenuous to suggest that using Apple software means having no control over your computing experience. iTunes is scriptable, after all, and Mac OS X in general is endlessly hackable/customizable. If people don't do it as much as they do it to Windows, it's more likely that it's because they're happier with the default Mac OS X experience than the default Windows experience. At least, that's been my experience in using the two platforms.

Yeah, all this "Apple controls everything and you can't customize it to your needs" stuff reeks of people who aren't at all familiar with OS X. I don't think iTunes is scriptable in Windows, though; it's done through AppleScript in OS X and from what I understand Apple never bothered to adapt it for a Windows-compatible scripting language.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »
I don't think iTunes is scriptable in Windows, though; it's done through AppleScript in OS X and from what I understand Apple never bothered to adapt it for a Windows-compatible scripting language.

Oh good point, I didn't think about that.

vudu, what about the Music tab on the top of the iPod summary window? Can you click that and make sure nothing is syncing there? If nothing is set up to sync, try actually selecting some other things to sync (if you have any in your library), syncing your iPod up, and then going back and unchecking all the sync options, and syncing a second time to remove everything. That might flush your system out. If that won't work, what about restoring the iPod?
vudu, so the podcast in question is showing up in the "Music" section of your library instead of the "Podcast" section?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 03:45:51 PM »
vudu, so the podcast in question is showing up in the "Music" section of your library instead of the "Podcast" section?

It's not a problem with my library--it's a problem with my iPod.  I don't have a podcast section under my iPod (in iTunes) and it's not showing up in the music section.  As far as iTunes knows the podcast isn't on my iPod at all!

I've determined that the problem is caused by podcasts edited with Audacity.  RFN usually doesn't show show up because that's what Greg uses to edit the podcast.  But when Karl edits them using Garageband it shows up just fine in iTunes.  It's the same way with Newscast--all episodes before #12 won't show up in iTunes but when Andy switched to Garageband for episode 12 and beyond they appear just fine.

It's really weird.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »
Which version are you using, MP3 or AAC? Have you tried using the other one?

J.P. Corbran

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2010, 04:12:31 PM »
AAC.  I prefer it to MP3 because when I charge my iPod halfway through a podcast it restarts from the beginning on MP3 files but not on AAC files.  Very annoying on a 2-hour podcast.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2010, 04:16:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can get any file to start where you last stopped it, it's just on by default in the AAC version. There should be a checkbox in the Get Info window that lets you toggle that on or off.

edit: It's in the options tab; "Remember playback position," at least in the Mac version.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:18:49 PM by insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2010, 11:19:11 PM »
I didn't change the settings and my mp3 podcasts still start where I stop them.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2010, 07:48:42 AM »
I didn't change the settings and my mp3 podcasts still start where I stop them.

If you download them through iTunes and they show up in the Podcasts section they'll do that regardless of what format they're in.

J.P. Corbran

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2010, 01:02:35 PM »
I don't have a podcast section under my iPod (in iTunes) and it's not showing up in the music section.

I realize you don't have a podcast section in your iPod on the sidebar to the left, but does anything show up when you click the Podcast TAB on the top of the iPod summary window? I know you have a Podcast tab up there because I see it in your screenshots.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
Nope--nothing shows up there.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2010, 05:44:52 PM »
Did you restore the iPod?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2010, 06:38:03 PM »
Did you restore the iPod?

All the time, but that has nothing to do with this.  The Podcasts section of my library is empty because I don't subscribe to any podcasts via iTunes.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
Restoring your iPod isn't clearing your iPod's hard drive?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2010, 10:20:01 AM »
Restoring my iPod clears my iPod's memory.

I'm sorry--I guess I don't understand the question; what does restoring my iPod have to do with my empty podcast section in my library?

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2010, 06:10:57 PM »
MediaMonkey huh?  Looks interesting.  Downloading now.  You buy the gold version, or is the free one sufficient?
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2010, 03:32:37 PM »
Restoring my iPod clears my iPod's memory.

I'm sorry--I guess I don't understand the question; what does restoring my iPod have to do with my empty podcast section in my library?

Maybe I'm not understanding your problem. Your iPod has space being used up by a podcast but you can't see the podcast listed on the iPod, so you can't delete it, right? Your goal is to get rid of the podcast and reclaim the space, right? So wouldn't restoring the iPod clear the iPod's memory, thus getting rid of that podcast that is using up space?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »
That's my exact problem.  Well, sorta.  The real problem is this happens with all RFN podcasts, so I have to restore my iPod every single week if I want to remove an episode after I've heard it.  It's annoying and time consuming.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2010, 05:14:43 PM »
Why not try just subscribing to RFN? It's usually available within 30 minutes of going up on the site, so time really isn't a issue and it might solve your problem.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »
Yeah, subscribe to the podcast in iTunes, PROBLEM SOLVED.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2010, 09:06:42 PM »
What part of I hate iTunes don't you guys understand?  I subscribe to podcasts through my RSS reader for a reason.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2010, 03:48:48 PM »
What part of I hate iTunes don't you guys understand?

The part where you hate iTunes for an easily fixable problem, and refusing to fix the problem is what makes the problem worse.

I'd really love to hear how subscribing to the podcast through an RSS reader benefits you.