Author Topic: Rumor Round-up: Nintendo's Next Console  (Read 13841 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Rumor Round-up: Nintendo's Next Console
« on: April 17, 2011, 03:56:32 AM »

Here's a one-stop location for all the "supported" rumors about Nintendo's sixth console. UPDATED 4/25

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/26086

LAST UPDATED: 4/25 - Added official confirmation of the new system, Project Café references, IGN hardware specifications. All updates indicated with *

The rumor engine has started up again, and is already running at full steam. Starting with the report in Game Informer, news outlets have begun to report rumors about Nintendo's next home console.

Here we will try to provide you a list of "supported" rumors. Supported meaning that they are rumors from news outlets where they claim to have from first-hand sources.

The Basics:

What: Nintendo will announce their next console at E3.
Origin: Game Informer first reported the news and many other sources have since echoed it.

*Confirmed 4/25: Nintendo has confirmed that Wii's successor is in development and will be unveiled in a playable for at E3 2011.

When: The new console will launch in late 2012. It will be shown at E3 2011 (June 7 - 9).
Source: Game Informer, IGN (see below for details)

The original Game Informer article reported the launch date. IGN reported that the console will be at E3 2011.IGN News Director Jim Reilly later tweeted that the first games, both first and third party, will be at E3.

*Confirmed 4/25: As part of the same announcement that confirmed the new system would be shown during E3, Nintendo confirmed their plans to launch their next home console in 2012.

The Name: While no source claims to know what Nintendo will call their sixth home console, it has been reported that it is being developed under the codename "Project Cafe."
Source: CVG

*Confirmed 4/24: Individuals investigating the Café rumor probed the Nintendo's Software Development Support Group website. In the process they located multiple references to the Café name.

What's in it:

Hardware: The hardware in the next Nintendo console appears to be similar to the Xbox 360, but more recent versions of the hardware.
Sources: Game Informer, IGN, 01net (see below for details)

The original Game Informer report stated that the new console was capable of HD, but the processing power, relative to the Xbox 360 and the PS3, was unconfirmed.

IGN followed up that report with comments from developers that the new console "will be greater than or equal to the PlayStation 3."

French site 01net reports that the new system is a "cousin" to the Xbox 360. It will use a custom three core IBM PowerPC and a custom ATI graphics processor capable of shader technology more advanced than the ATI R500 in the 360. The RAM is likely in excess of the 512 MB in the 360.

Other sites have misinterpreted 01net's extrapolations into exact specifications, but they don't claim to have any exact hardware components.

*IGN has updated their original information with specific hardware specifications. Their information is mostly congruent with the previous report from 01net. They confirm the triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset. They state that the GPU will also be a newer version of the one in the Xbox360 - the "revamped" version of the AMD R700 chipset. More interestingly they note that the system "will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D" but say it isn't confirmed as a "core" feature.

The Controller: The current rumor is that the controller is some sort of tablet-like device. It features a six-inch screen, face buttons, and motion control. There is some disagreement on the details.
Sources: CVG, vg247, Edge, IGN, 01net (see below for details)

Sources have confirmed to CVG that the new controller will feature a six-inch HD LCD screen. '"'Nintendo's plans sound unreal,' one source said. 'Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting.'"

Gaming site vg247 confirmed the CVG's report but said the screens are sub-HD, and that they are touchscreens.

Edge notes that motion controls are retained, and improved beyond the capabilities of Sony's Move controller.

01net's sources say the screen is sub-HD, and that it is capable of simple stand-alone processing (like a tablet computer). It communicates with the console wirelessly. Their sources claim the controller also features a D-Pad, L and R buttons, 2 "triggers," as well as other buttons, and most interestingly, a front-facing camera. They also say their sources functionality to replace the Wii's sensor bar are integrated into the new controller.

IGN's Jim Reilly has indicated that the controller "allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console - like a miniature television." He also indicated that the controller will feature two analog sticks.

Backwards Compatibility: IGN has reported that they have been told that the new system will be fully backwards compatible with Wii games. It is reasonable to assume that this could also apply to GameCube games, given the similar architecture between the two systems, but this has not been "confirmed."

How it looks:
*The console itself: The system will look like a modernized Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and will be roughly the size of an Xbox 360.
Source: IGN

Disclaimer: All of what we know are nothing more than rumors. This is a rapidly evolving situation, and Nintendo World Report will continue to provide updates as they become available.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rumor Round-up: Nintendo's Next Console
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 04:08:16 AM »
There is still an IBM and an AMD comment I'm still trying to figure out that happened before this floodgate of rumors started pouring out.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 04:42:35 AM »
Nice work compiling all these sources. This seems to be a very comprehensive list. The only other tidbits I've seen are:
* A source told Kotaku that the console will be "more powerful than the current generation systems"
* Edge heard on the grapevine that Ubisoft, Electronic Arts and Activision have had development kits for several months
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 05:27:09 AM »
I would be very surprised if it's backwardly compatible with the GameCube, it requires a special disk-drive to accept both sizes of disks and Nintendo usually take out compatibility from 2 generations back.

DS took out original Game Boy (B&W) support
DSi and 3DS took out GBA support

Which is annoying because you have to have at least a GBA to play your old GB/GBC games, I'd much rather stick them in my DSlite, the connector IS the same. (it fits but doesn't play)

Saying this however, if the Wii2 doesn't support GC games they'll have to think of a way to stop people putting the disks in and screwing up the drive.

Also if it is compatible, I could see them charging us for a USB "GameCube connection kit" to plug your controllers in, no way are they going to cram 4 GC ports onto the system again.

They could also call it the "Smash Bros Brawl connection kit", cos that's the only thing I've used GC pads for in the past 5 years!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 05:33:17 AM »
Nice work compiling all these sources. This seems to be a very comprehensive list. The only other tidbits I've seen are:
* A source told Kotaku that the console will be "more powerful than the current generation systems"
* Edge heard on the grapevine that Ubisoft, Electronic Arts and Activision have had development kits for several months
The Complete Rumor Compilation starting from Oct. 2010 -> Yesterday
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg667116#msg667116

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 07:30:34 AM »
any pie in the sky rumors, dismiss.
like more powerful then the ps3, i see nintendo using 360
like components cause its refined now and cheeper, but  unless
nintendo plans a bulky psp2 like device for palm of hand 3d games,
count out an expensive 6in touch screen.
Nintendo goes minimum, so 360 level i see if they can sell it for a profit.
remember, all the proto types nintendo had for the wii controller, so some
of these controler ideas will never be mass produced. and yea, i see GCN
support being dropped, please nintendo, use HD disks.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »
I would be very surprised if it's backwardly compatible with the GameCube, it requires a special disk-drive to accept both sizes of disks and Nintendo usually take out compatibility from 2 generations back.
It's really not much different than any other slot loader, it just has a rolling bar on the "bottom" to load the disc in so it can take both sizes, unlike the PS3 that has gears and wheels on the sides that can only accept full size discs. It certainly wouldn't add to the costs.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »
It's really not much different than any other slot loader, it just has a rolling bar on the "bottom" to load the disc in so it can take both sizes, unlike the PS3 that has gears and wheels on the sides that can only accept full size discs. It certainly wouldn't add to the costs.
Doesn't it also have a little funnel like shape to position the GCN discs to the middle.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline 8bitsdeep

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 11:41:39 AM »
I'd love to see a rundown of previous console rumors being compared to what the console actually turned out to be.  I'm not sure how hard it would be to find all those old rumors for the Wii or GameCube before they were unveiled but it'd be interesting to see and would really help put all these rumors in the proper context.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:52:51 AM »

I don't think there's enough of sample to state "usually" with Nintendo.
NES - No BC (Duh)
SNES - No BC
N64 - No BC
GCN - No BC
Wii - GCN-only (1 Generation)
VB - No BC
GB - No BC (again, duh)
GBC - GB-only (1 Generation)
GBA/SP - GB & GBC BC (2 Generations)
GBm - No BC
DS/DSlite - GBA only (1 Generation)
DSi/DSiXL - errr... DS only (0.5 Generations?)
3DS - DS & DSi (1.5 generations?)

Three systems with no BC due to lack of things to be compatible with (NES, VB, GB)
Four systems with no BC.
Four systems (counting the 3DS) with only BC one generation back.
One system that went two generations back.

So, there's as much precedence for there to be no BC as there is for there to be BC only one generation back.  However, I agree with the later part of your post about not including GameCube ports.  It would be interesting if there was a device that allowed you to connect your old GCN controllers (you know, assuming that you won't just be able to use the new 'everything but the kitchen sink' controller that this new system is supposed to have).

Would it plug in via USB, or could it be a wireless attachment?  Because that'd be pretty cool.  Another advantage of having a separate attachment, they could easily program the *next* next system to support it as well, using one attachment several generations down the line.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 12:49:53 PM »
Didn't Nintendo file a patent at some point with a screen-controller mock-up very similar to the rumors circulating now? Could that be the source of the rumor, true or not?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »
GameCube BC may be required for Wii BC due to the shared accessories.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Aside from dance mats, are there any Wii games that require the GCN ports?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 01:38:28 PM »

I'm not sure. I'll try to follow up on that.

Then again, act Activision how much Nintendo cares about BC in the DSi.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 01:40:23 PM »
Going by how rumors with the DS and Wii ended up these are most likely true. The touchscreen device sounds clunky and expensive though. No idea how you'd use motion controls with that. On the upside that means Chou Soujuu Mecha MG could work on that console.

As for shared accessories, the DSi had no support for DS accessories that used the GBA cart slot.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 01:45:35 PM »
I've been thinking about the 6" figure, and my first thought is that it is a diagonal. That means we don't know the height/width ratio. It could be quite narrow.

Interesting fact: diagonal corner-to-corner the Wii Remote is 6".
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 02:00:34 PM »

I'm not sure. I'll try to follow up on that.

Then again, act Activision how much Nintendo cares about BC in the DSi.

Guitar Hero DS?

Also I mean High resolution single touch screens have been around for a long time.  My Dell Axim 51v screen had just been caught up to this generation of iPhones so... single touch tech wise it probably be a lot cheaper then everyone be thinking for the screen. Mic Cheap.  Camera's Cheap.  I'll bet the motion bits cost more then the last two things and there not that expensive anymore.  Nintendo can think the Phone industry for really driving down the cost of a lot of these little components.  Though I do think Nintendo couldn't initially make there customary profit margin and make a normal 20%-10% or so but, seriously as long as you're making money on the accessories what they gateway into matters much more.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 02:37:04 PM »
Saying this however, if the Wii2 doesn't support GC games they'll have to think of a way to stop people putting the disks in and screwing up the drive.
It wouldn't mess up the drive. It could just do what the current Wii drive does whenever an object that isn't a disc is inserted and eject it right away.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »
A new device wouldn't have to use a slot loader anyway.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 03:03:24 PM »
Go back to flip-top like the GameCube? I like that design better anyway, it's more durable.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 03:05:31 PM »
No reason it couldn't, but that does mean you couldn't put it on a middle self in an entertainment center.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »
Could be a tray, similar to the Panasonic Q.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 03:22:03 PM »
A tray is still better than a slot-loader, to me.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »
Nintendo won't go out of their way to add GC support. There are Three reasons why I say this:

1) Its not like the GC was a hugely popular console, and we're now 2 generations later so people care even less than they did then.

2) Nintendo wouldn't even make the simple effort required to add DVD playback to the Wii. Even though its simple to do, it adds to the cost.

3) And perhaps most importantly, Nintendo makes zero money off Gamecube games and accessories at this point. If they aren't making money on it, why would they want to support it? They actually have an economic incentive NOT to support GC BC because they can make more money that way by selling GC games via downloads on the virtual console.

So for those three reasons I believe they won't add it. Even though it is simple to do, there just isn't the incentive there for them to do it. Not many consumers care about it, and there's no money in it, so why would they? They want you to rebuy those games.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 05:13:07 PM »
The most baffling rumor to me is easily the 6" touchscreen. I'm trying to wrap my head around a controller that uses motion, sticks and buttons, and has a screen. Nothing feasible comes to mind. Who wants to swing around an NGP?

The most intriguing clue to what it may look like may seem like the most insignificant: the sensor bar. Why would the controller need a sensor bar? Well it probably needs to sense something, but what? Could it be a Wii like remote? Probably, but how are you going to hold the remote and the controller at the same time?

That's why I'm guessing that Head Tracking is making it's way into reality -- if these rumors are true. It's really the only logical answer given the data.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 05:15:00 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports