Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167893 times)

Luigi Dude and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #4375 on: May 30, 2011, 04:01:10 PM »
HDD included (250GB/320GB) & SD card expansion.
If that is the case, then let the 3rd party flood gates come crashing down. There will be no excuses as to why the Café couldn't and shouldn't receive each and every game that is not exclusive. I just hope it is a non-proprietary HDD (assuming any of this is true) that is easily user swappable like on PS3.

I'm thinking Nintendo may go with a proprietary hard drive just for anti-homebrew/piracy concerns. They sure don't want what happened to the PS3 to happen to their next console. Fortunately though, 250gb/320gb should be plenty, especially with the ability to expand it via SD. I'm just relieved its not the mere 8gb of onboard flash like an older rumor suggested...

Well, let's keep in mind that this is still just a rumor, much like the 8 GB of storage one was.  We'll know the truth when Reggie steps on-stage at E3.  I will certainly be happy if that spec were true, though.  It's hard to say how much space games will take in the future as game development changes in the coming years, but 250 GB and 320 GB sounds like more than enough to me (and we'd better not see an insane download size restriction that negates this).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4376 on: May 30, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »
Also, I think Nintendo should just have an app you can buy that unlocks the Bluray playback. The cost of the app would cover the Licensing fee and only those that would use it would pay for it. Win/Win situation and all parties involved are happy.

They could do that, but I think we'd be more likely to see the situation the original Xbox had - you bought the remote and it unlocked DVD playback. Hell, Nintendo's already making remote-like devices, so it wouldn't be too hard for them to switch a line over to full BR remote functionality.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: May 30, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »
But what about DVD playback? If Nintendo is going to allow Blu-ray then what about DVD? The thing I'm wondering is wouldn't they have to pay two separate licensing fees in order to enable both?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: May 30, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »
If your controller already has a 6" touch screen in and maybe an IR port, then you potentially already have the best possible Universal remote (with a customizable touch interface) and one that will certainly work perfectly with your Café. (No IR and you still have a touch screen remote)

Either way, buying a remote or buying an App, the outcome is the same. Nintendo provides the drive, the consumer pays for the license to allow Movie Playback.

And I think the app route would be the better route to take for various reasons.
1. It get the user online to purchase and download the app.
now you have a consumer that is online capable and has already familiarized them selves with the online app/ware store

2. It allows you to keep your Café controller within reach whenever using the TV which would allow for a smooth transition into a game or other social features that the Café touch screen controller will provide.

By needing yet another remote control on the table is more of a hassle than necessary when they provide you with a better one out of the box.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4379 on: May 30, 2011, 06:26:48 PM »
Here's hoping for Blu-Ray playback. I'm buying a Cafe without a doubt, but I'd like to have a Blu-Ray player handy. As for the other specs, I hope all this turns out to be true. With the horse power there, all Nintendo has to do is get enough 3rd party exclusives to bring back the hardcore crowd.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4380 on: May 30, 2011, 06:33:53 PM »
I read them specs and I was like "WHHAAAAAT?! Are you serious Nintendo?" Them GigaFlopz be crazy like you never SEEN.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: May 30, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »
I don't think we could realistically hope for better specs than that, so I hope that's true.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: May 30, 2011, 06:53:35 PM »
If your controller already has a 6" touch screen in and maybe an IR port, then you potentially already have the best possible Universal remote (with a customizable touch interface) and one that will certainly work perfectly with your Café. (No IR and you still have a touch screen remote)

Either way, buying a remote or buying an App, the outcome is the same. Nintendo provides the drive, the consumer pays for the license to allow Movie Playback.

And I think the app route would be the better route to take for various reasons.
now you have a consumer that is online capable and has already familiarized them selves with the online app/ware store

2. It allows you to keep your Café controller within reach whenever using the TV which would allow for a smooth transition into a game or other social features that the Café touch screen controller will provide.

By needing yet another remote control on the table is more of a hassle than necessary when they provide you with a better one out of the box.

3. The possibility of taking the movie with you into any room like the DirectTV commercials, only here you don't even have to pause it.

Imagine watching a movie with the family and you run out of popcorn and/or soda, need to grab a blanket or maybe need to goto the bathroom. Now you don't even need to pause it and interrupt everyone else's movie watching experience. You can stream to the controller and not miss a second while you are out of the room and still be watching the same movie at the same time as everyone else.

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: May 30, 2011, 06:59:20 PM »

3. The possibility of taking the movie with you into any room like the DirectTV commercials, only here you don't even have to pause it.

Imagine watching a movie with the family and you run out of popcorn and/or soda, need to grab a blanket or maybe need to goto the bathroom. Now you don't even need to pause it and interrupt everyone else's movie watching experience. You can stream to the controller and not miss a second while you are out of the room and still be watching the same movie at the same time as everyone else.

Wow, if all this turns out be true then all I would need is that guy from Futurama announcing, 'Welcome, to the world of tomorrow!'...and pants would be shat.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4384 on: May 30, 2011, 09:27:13 PM »
That feature would work great with the 3DS (imagine conecting your Club Nintendo and Netflix accounts). I think the problem with it working with the controller would be the memory needed for it. Might drive the costs up a bit too high.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: May 30, 2011, 09:33:20 PM »
It's already rumored to stream to the controllers. I would just assume that each controller has everything necessary to make that a seamless experience included from the get-go.

If this controller does everything I think it might, $70 might not be too much to ask, as long as there is plenty of software to support the usage of the touchscreen and therefore justify the price.

-------
Parental Controls (Spectator Mode).
A parent could pick up a spare controller (assuming all 4 aren't being used) and see & hear what is being played on the console regardless of if it's a game, internet browser or a movie.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: May 30, 2011, 09:47:12 PM »
SEVENTY DOLLARS PER CONTROLLER *IS* TOO MUCH TO ASK.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: May 30, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »

GET N OR GET OUT

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: May 30, 2011, 10:11:01 PM »
speaking of movies, i always liked the wii channel interface, and would love to see some sort of ala carte television programming with a similar interface
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: May 30, 2011, 10:12:26 PM »
It is ashamed if Cafe controllers were that much.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: May 30, 2011, 10:23:43 PM »
Truth is that they just might be, as Wiimotes cost that much (without a 6" touch screen), but no one was really complaining all that much. But you did get to buy those in pieces, so the true cost wasn't always paid upfront.

Dual Shock 3 used to cost something like $50 and that doesn't even have all the tech of the wiimote. So a Café pad with a 6" touch screen, accelerometers, wireless streaming tech all the standard buttons and sticks, rumble, bluetooth, etc. for $70 doesn't really seem like too much to ask if it works like I imagine it does.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:30:16 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #4391 on: May 31, 2011, 12:19:09 AM »
I'm game. Let's do this.

One week to go. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: May 31, 2011, 12:21:52 AM »
$70 controllers (for that matter, anything more than $50, which is already pretty ridiculous for current gen controllers) is probably a deal-breaker for me.  Considering the price of the console; the retail games; and the download games, I just can't afford controllers that expensive (especially if that price is there to support a feature I don't want to use, like the supposed touchscreen functionality).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #4393 on: May 31, 2011, 12:24:03 AM »
Hey guys just thinking aloud here.

Rumours around the Apple world is that Apple want to move their MacBook and MacBook Air lines onto ARM processors, this goes with the sub rumor that ARM want to expand into the high end computer processor market. ARM currently power the iPhone, iPad, DS and 3DS.

It's certainly what ARM would need to enter the market; a large order from a big company. So what are the chances of Nintendo, considering their history with ARM, going with them in project Cafe? I know history suggests an IBM/AMD combo but by this point in the Wii's history they had already been confirmed as the chip manufacturers, we only have rumours this time.

I understand that ARM don't actually make processors themselves, just design them, so I guess that still leaves a manufacture open...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:32:28 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #4394 on: May 31, 2011, 12:31:25 AM »
ARM is currently way too weak if Nintendo is actually serious about exceeding or even closing the current performance gap, though I could see them powering the alleged remote screen.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4395 on: May 31, 2011, 12:35:26 AM »
Wii Remote and nunchuck were $60, $80 with Motion Plus ($60 for the new remotes and nunchuck). $70 is pretty steep, but not totally unreasonable. They should aim for $60. Still pricey, but if the controller is as loaded as rumors suggest, it's not a bad deal.
So what are the chances of Nintendo, considering their history with ARM, going with them in project Cafe?
I believe the main strength of ARM processors is their lower power consumption which is why they're normally found in mobile devices. Would Nintendo need that for a home console that is meant to be plugged in all the time?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #4396 on: May 31, 2011, 12:47:40 AM »
Fueling the rumour was also that Microsoft demoed Windows 8 written for ARM at CES.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: May 31, 2011, 12:48:09 AM »
Hey guys just thinking aloud here.
I know history suggests an IBM/AMD combo but by this point in the Wii's history they had already been confirmed as the chip manufacturers, we only have rumours this time.

But IBM pretty much said they were making a chip for Nintendo's next Gen Console. [link]
In the same interview they said that Cell tech has been integrated in all their PPC designs... so I'm pretty sure Café will have an IBM/AMD combination for the console.
But like MegaByte said, ARM could be a possibility for the controller itself.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: May 31, 2011, 03:54:17 AM »

It isn't that bad if you consider that's about what it costs to buy both a wiimote and chuck.
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: May 31, 2011, 04:04:29 AM »
Sigh, the Cafe most likely with be able to playback netflix HD 720 like MS but don't expect to have an Blu-ray player, nintendo would have to pay royalities to Sony and I don't see that happening.  Sure it might have an blue-laser drive but that where it ends. 

Maybe Nintendo will buy the rights to HD DVD :0--that wouldn't be an bad move considering there's already "used" equipment and materials out on the market cheap.