Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167726 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #3375 on: April 14, 2011, 06:40:44 PM »
As far as the controller goes, I think the best way to go is to have a conventional controller which can break apart into a wiimote/chuck type deal for motion gaming, but then easily snap back together for a conventional controller experience. This way you get the best of both worlds in a single controller, instead of having to complicate things with one controller for motion and another for regular gaming.

LOL at this idea. I came up with it back when I wasn't called Unagi, or Stogi, or Dante 'Blazin The Amazin', but when I was Don'tHate742; i.e. a long ass time ago. I even drew a picture and it was posted on IGN.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: April 14, 2011, 07:08:53 PM »
Its a great idea. The only other controller idea I can think of remotely as good is if they did something like the Power Glove from the NES, but you know have it work to the point where you can use each finger in the glove as a form of input so that you could design games where you could grab objects in the game world with your character and then use them. Like in Zelda you could grab the Master Sword with the power glove, and then wield it.

Imagine wearing two power gloves and something similar for your feet as well. Then you'd have something like Kinect, but much better.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:10:47 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: April 14, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
I don't know about wearing something on your feet, but atleast you would have some feedback by wearing the gloves. some "Haptic" feedback through rumble (and other motors/levers) would work wonders for all those Kinect type games.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: April 14, 2011, 07:20:56 PM »
Nintendo could take it a step further and in addition to dual power gloves they could have some sort of headgear which provides the display, so you are taking the TV out of the equation. It would be an HD 3D display and you'd be immersed in the game and you'd interact with the world with your dual power gloves. It would be virtual reality.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: April 14, 2011, 07:25:14 PM »
<<<REW

Nintendo On

Never forget

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »
Nintendo could take it a step further and in addition to dual power gloves they could have some sort of headgear which provides the display, so you are taking the TV out of the equation. It would be an HD 3D display and you'd be immersed in the game and you'd interact with the world with your dual power gloves. It would be virtual reality.

Ok Now your just fuckin' with us.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: April 14, 2011, 07:52:35 PM »
I wanna bring this post back up since i don't remember NWR ever reporting on this:

Wii 2 @ E3 2011?
More Fuel To The "Wii2 @ E3 Announcement" Rumors?
Ono: SSFIV3DS connects to a Video Game System. Can't say more till E3
Yoshinori Ono "confirms" that could be presented a new desktop system from Nintendo.

Thus, players could be facing one of the possible bombing that Nintendo would have prepared for the E3 in Los Angeles, the arrival of Wii 2 could be imminent.

All this information has come through the words of one of the people most is betting on Nintendo 3DS, Yoshinori Ono, Capcom and developer already has a review of Super Street Fighter IV on Nintendo 3DS.

It is well known for their support in the handheld, has confirmed that Super Street Fighter IV will have connectivity to a video game system, but can not confirm until three months, coinciding with the E3 in Los Angeles. They suggest two things very interesting in his words, the first that the games could be patched and updated to offer new content and the aforementioned Wii 2 could be presented at the Nintendo press conference.

Wii2 or connectivity with Wii? Some site trolling for hits or this may have some merit to it?
What do you guys think.

I hope there is some real good integration of 3DS to Wii2 connectivity. Just like with the VB before, Nintendo dabbled in 3D and now we have the 3DS, they have also dabbled with connectivity (FFCC - GBA) so it's time for that idea to mature into something that we can actually use too.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: April 14, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »
For controllers I think Nintendo should just have two controllers - the CC Pro and the remote/nunchuk combo.  They can just include all of them with the system itself.  With the Wii we already had a situation where each game has icons on the box indicating what controller it supports.  Nintendo also sold the remote and nunchuk seperately.  Oh and then they also later introduced Motion+ to complicate things further.  For all the talk Nintendo made about casuals being "intimidated" by the traditional controller they had no problem offering four seperately sold controller "pieces" and that isn't including the more obscure stuff like the wheel and balance board.

The Wii pretty much had multiple controllers anyway so the Wii 2 should just embrace it fully.  Hell, the Atari had paddle controllers and joysticks and that caused no issues.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: April 14, 2011, 07:59:08 PM »
If they also include a HDD, they can include a patch for all games referencing GC controllers and replace the graphic with a CCpro+

simple solutions(?) for simple problems.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: April 14, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »
If they also include a HDD, they can include a patch for all games referencing GC controllers and replace the graphic with a CCpro+

BnM you're thinking complicated.  Just emulate the GCN port and have it map the CCpro+ according.  Coding and testing once support everything this could be done in lou of GCN ports except Unclebob's accessory connection would be lonely.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: April 14, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »
I don't like the CCpro and wish it would die. Its like a ripoff of the Playstation controller, which is ironic and sad because the Playstation controller itself is a ripoff of many Nintendo innovations. So the CCpro is not only a ripoff; its a ripoff of a ripoff.

If anything, just bring back the Gamecube controller with a few improvements/tweaks and go with that. It sucks that the Gamecube flopped, because I think that's why Nintendo seems to want to distance itself from the GC controller because they associate it with that failure, but its not fair because the GC controller is probably the best traditional controller design of all time and it wasn't the reason the GC flopped. So Nintendo took the controller design of the much more popular PS2 and copied that when they made the CCpro. The PS2 may have been a popular console, but its controller was inferior to that of the GC and it pisses me off that Nintendo chose to copy it instead of using the better design which they already had.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:34:11 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: April 14, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »
It's come up in the staff email thread that the current rumor on NeoGAF (which obviously must be accurate) is that the controller has a screen on it.

In addition to being reminiscent of the Dreamcast, which is always a plus in my book, that strongly implies a return to a more traditional controller design. Putting a screen on the current Wiimote setup would require significant changes and be pretty damn awkward.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: April 14, 2011, 08:37:37 PM »

BnM you're thinking complicated.  Just emulate the GCN port and have it map the CCpro+ according.  Coding and testing once support everything this could be done in lou of GCN ports except Unclebob's accessory connection would be lonely.

Actually you're over complicating my thought. I was merely talking about the picture of the controller the game that they would use to show what button does what and where it is on the controller. You know the one in the controller setup screen.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: April 14, 2011, 08:43:54 PM »
It's come up in the staff email thread that the current rumor on NeoGAF (which obviously must be accurate) is that the controller has a screen on it.

In addition to being reminiscent of the Dreamcast, which is always a plus in my book, that strongly implies a return to a more traditional controller design. Putting a screen on the current Wiimote setup would require significant changes and be pretty damn awkward.

Maybe that rumor is derived from the 3DS connectivity? The 3DS certainly would make a decent (albeit expensive) controller.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: April 14, 2011, 08:50:44 PM »
If anything, just bring back the Gamecube controller with a few improvements/tweaks and go with that. It sucks that the Gamecube flopped, because I think that's why Nintendo seems to want to distance itself from the GC controller because they associate it with that failure, but its not fair because the GC controller is probably the best traditional controller design of all time and it wasn't the reason the GC flopped. So Nintendo took the controller design of the much more popular PS2 and copied that when they made the CCpro. The PS2 may have been a popular console, but its controller was inferior to that of the GC and it pisses me off that Nintendo chose to copy it instead of using the better design which they already had.

The GameCube controller, as comfortable as it was to hold, was hardly the "best traditional controller design".  The size and placement of the buttons was less than desirable, making it difficult for 3rd parties to develop multiplatform titles that use a standard control layout.  The Pro, on the other hand, has buttons all uniformly sized (except for the Triggers, which are nice and big and easy to use) and placed for easy access.  The twin sticks are on the same elevation, and the sticks have a good feel to them (as opposed to the GameCube's C-Stick, which didn't have the same amount of "give" to it that the left analog stick did).  Sure, it's heavily based on the Dualshock, but the Dualshock and its iterations are excellent controller designs that function favorably with a wide variety of gaming genres.  There's no sense in reinventing the wheel and no shame in copying the current standard when the current standard works just fine.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:01:16 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: April 14, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »
I don't like the Playstation controller standard personally.  I was really hoping the PS3 controller was going to be the Batarang concept. (Even though I did make a comic making fun of it.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: April 14, 2011, 09:00:44 PM »
I don't like the Playstation controller standard personally.  I was really hoping the PS3 controller was going to be the Batarang concept. (Even though I did make a comic making fun of it.)

Eh, it was a cute idea, but there was nothing ergonomic about that boomerang design, and 3rd parties would have had difficulty making their games play well on it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: April 14, 2011, 09:03:24 PM »
I would be fine with sticking with the basic design of the CCPro if they swapped the position of the D-Pad and left analog stick. It made sense to put the focus on the d-pad when it was mainly designed for playing old games, but if it's going to be intended for use in current games the analog stick needs to be there. Sony refusing to modernize the controller in that way is why I only play games on PS3 when I have no other choice.

Eh, it was a cute idea, but there was nothing ergonomic about that boomerang design

Sony has proven that they don't care about ergonomics by using the same very un-ergonomic controller design three generations in a row.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:05:56 PM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #3393 on: April 14, 2011, 09:03:48 PM »
Here's a rumor: They're going to fix every mistake that led to over 80 million Wii sales.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: April 14, 2011, 11:31:58 PM »

Eh, it was a cute idea, but there was nothing ergonomic about that boomerang design, and 3rd parties would have had difficulty making their games play well on it.

I wouldn't say I have huge hands by any means, but the dualshock controller is way too small for my hands. It feels like it was designed for children or something. The grips are way too short, so when I hold the grips they come to an abrupt end in the middle of my hand so the bottom of my hand has nothing to grip onto and it just doesn't feel right.

I don't know what planet you come from where you can say the batarang design wouldn't have been ergonomic, but I would have to strongly disagree. Anything that lengthens the grips and makes the controller better suited for adult hands is a major improvement in my opinion. The only ones who would be upset by that new design would have to be small children or a very small percentage of adults with dwarfism. Everyone else would benefit by having something they can actually grip onto. You'd think after 17 years Sony could improve on the design of their controller, but no...

Sure, it's heavily based on the Dualshock, but the Dualshock and its iterations are excellent controller designs that function favorably with a wide variety of gaming genres.

Ha! Are you Kevin Butler by any chance? The Dualshock controller is garbage. It was designed for children for people with tiny hands. Ironically, despite being labeled "Kiddie" the Gamecube controller actually fits well in my adult hands, so its ironic that a "kiddie" console has the most adult friendly controller, but the "adult" console has a controller made for little people. The broken up D-pad of the dualshock also sucks, as does the palcement of the D-pad and the left analog stick (they need to swap places).

The different size and color of the GC controller buttons made them very convenient and easy to use. Having buttons all shaped the same and with the same size creates the problem of accidently hitting the wrong button and ending up dead in a game. Having the buttons stand out from one another helps solve that problem.

There's no sense in reinventing the wheel and no shame in copying the current standard when the current standard works just fine.

Wow. What a bunch of bullshit. Nintendo is the one who invented the wheel, and they did a damn fine better job of it than Sony has. Sony is the one who reinvented the wheel and made it awkward and tiny. And whatchu talking about "current standard"? Last time I checked the PS3 is in 3rd place so they aren't the industry standard. But yes, there is shame in copying from Sony. Sony are the ones who lack creativity and always rip off whatever Nintendo creates and innovates. If you're going to rip off an idea its better to rip it off of someone who knows what they're doing. Stealing from Sony is like copying your test answers off the Dunce of the class. When Nintendo does it its even worse, because that's like the brainy nerd of the class sinking so low that he's now copying off the Dunce. That's how bad the CCpro thing is. Nintendo is copying the village idiot, when its supposed to be the other way around.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:48:39 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #3395 on: April 14, 2011, 11:59:05 PM »
I agree with Chozo Ghost- the Gamecube pad is amazing.  I even ordered one of those white Japanese ones with the extra long cord to play Smash Bros and Mario Kart on my Wii.  For my weird little hands, the GC controller is the most comfortable and intuitive controller I've used.

Never liked the Dual Shock.  I'm fine with the 360 controller.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: April 15, 2011, 12:03:33 AM »
Dude, the Dualshock and 360 controller designs are very similar with pretty much the exact same button layouts (aside from start/select), and as far as controllers designed for people who actually play games (rather than people who like to twirl around TV remotes), they are the standard.  I have issues with the Dualshock's fractured D-pad, but I find it to be an excellent controller and I have probably larger-than-average hands.  Hell, I'm actually kind of decent at fighting games with this D-pad, and I'm never decent at fighting games.

And if it sounds like I'm cranky, it's not you.  I'm trying to go for an online trophy in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and no one's using the characters I need so I'm in a bit of a foul mood.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:07:44 AM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: April 15, 2011, 12:20:11 AM »
If that rumor about the controller having a screen is true and it's similar to the Dreamcast's VMU, Nintendo might as well call it a "Gameboy." /nostalgia erection

I still think there should only be 1 controller. Nintendo is worth billions; they're Research and Development department is the best in the industry. Figure it out. If they can't, Nintendo needs to lower the prices. Having to spend the same amount or more on controllers than the console itself is out-of-this-world ridic.

It's even being rumored to have FULL BC with the Wii, because it would be STUPID not to. How do you follow up your biggest console success in this day and age and not have some way of easing in all the customers of the past 5 years, especially the massive casual market that now all own HD TV's?
The Wii is Nintendo's first home console with backwards compatibility so shipping without any backwards compatibility is not without precedence. Nintendo will put backwards compatibility in if they can because it's a nice feature, but it's hardly stupid not to and Nintendo has had no problem ditching this or that in the past. Most casual gamers probably have no idea what backward compatibility even is. The idea of "easing" customers in is total bullshit. If Nintendo wants to keep all of those casual gamers, they absolutely must come up with something brand new and innovative that resonates with that segment of the market because being able to play legacy games isn't going to hack it. Assuming Nintendo gets that killer app for casuals, if they really want to be nice and totally sweeten the deal, they can always upconvert Wii Sports and Resort and preload them onto the new console's internal memory.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: April 15, 2011, 12:23:35 AM »
I would argue the 360 layout is more similar to the GC than to the Dualshock's layout. The 360 controller has a real D-pad, and it has the analog/D-pad layout the same as that of the GC controller. Only the Dualshock is the oddball that decided the D-pad should be given top billing, which goes against all logic because modern gaming relies more on analog sticks, and D-pads are mostly used to cycle through weapons and classic gaming.

The reason the Dualshock has the D-pad given top billing is because that's how the original Dualshock was setup. Then when Nintendo launched the N64 and revolutionized gaming by introducing the analog stick Sony basically did a rush job and slapped on two analog sticks on the bottom of the dualshock controller. This was not the best placement for them, and it makes the controller unergonomic and ugly because the analog sticks bulge out and make the grips much less useful. They get in the way.

So anyway, the Xbox controller and GC controller both get it right because they understand the importance of the analog stick to modern gaming and are designed to give it top priority, whereas the Sony controller still hangs onto the vestigial D-pad and leaves it in the primary spot as if gaming still revolved around it.

Btw, the original dualshock controller is basically a ripoff of the SNES controller. If you take an SNES controller and add some grips and two more shoulder buttons you basically have the dualshock. The layout in every other respect is exactly the same. Not that that's really such a bad thing, because the SNES controller was the best non-analog controller of all time (in my opinion). It was better than the Genesis controller or any other of the day. But since we entered the analog era a new design is needed. The GC and xbox controllers gets this design right, but Sony doesn't.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: April 15, 2011, 12:26:31 AM »
I'm not a fan of the PlayStation controller either, the handles are too wide, the D-pad is uncomfortable to press, the sticks are in awkward spots, etc. The GameCube controller almost got it right, but it had a few problems holding it back, like a small D-pad and awkward B button. Though I still find the Nintendo 64 controller the most comfortable to hold, and its only issue was the three-prong thing, which doesn't affect comfort.

Or it was, until the Wii controller. Its disconnected, two-part design is really the best thing to happen to controllers since the D-pad, as it allows it to be held without bringing your hands together for so long. Cramps are a thing of the past with it. All it needs is a few more buttons to accommodate more types of games so developers don't have to use motion flicks in the place of buttons. Whatever Nintendo uses for the next system, I hope it follows a similar design.