Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3167528 times)

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #1675 on: November 05, 2009, 07:47:39 PM »
I'm actually not sure if that's really a Nintendo 64 game because it looks a bit better than what the N64 could muster. But then again, it was a late release so perhaps they figured out how to optimize performance.

Agree. Going from the article, IGN wasn't sure what system it was for and just assumed it was the N64 as they "ruled out the possibility that we're looking at a Dolphin game, because we assume the next generation machine will be able to crank out better graphics than this."

However, it looks better than what the N64 was capable of, and therefore I think it was a Gamecube title. One that just, graphically, wasn't very impressive and I wouldn't be surprised if that fact was partly why the project was shelved to begin with.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: November 05, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »
I'm actually not sure if that's really a Nintendo 64 game because it looks a bit better than what the N64 could muster. But then again, it was a late release so perhaps they figured out how to optimize performance.

It's a shame there were so many canceled N64 products in 2000-2001...
Unpopularity is the death blow to projects, no matter how neat they are.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: November 05, 2009, 08:35:51 PM »

Agree. Going from the article, IGN wasn't sure what system it was for and just assumed it was the N64 as they "ruled out the possibility that we're looking at a Dolphin game, because we assume the next generation machine will be able to crank out better graphics than this."

However, it looks better than what the N64 was capable of, and therefore I think it was a Gamecube title. One that just, graphically, wasn't very impressive and I wouldn't be surprised if that fact was partly why the project was shelved to begin with.

To be honest, watching that video, and seeing a Game Over screen at the end there, I'd say it was  GameCube title with lower resolution, for a specific reason:  It was Nintendo's effort to make a game which seriously looked like a cartoon.  That's my dream of it, anyways.  Imagine something like those old laserdisc games, where you had to press a direction, right?  Picture that, but with actual control over several scripted events.  It looks like it was in concept form, thanks to some of the animation, like when they peak around the corner, but I'd say a "Game Over" screen definitely means that that's what they wanted the gameplay to look like.  Perhaps it looked less appealing graphically for a GameCube FMV type thing, but for in-game gameplay footage, that was very varied and unique, and perhaps why it was scaled down to look so poor.

It's just an idea, though, who actually knows?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: November 06, 2009, 04:14:17 AM »
I'll bet it was just one of the games developed for the N64 that got ported to the Gamecube. Or, more appropriately, was going to get ported to the Gamecube and ended up getting canned during the conversion process.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1679 on: November 06, 2009, 05:54:03 AM »
Meowth's Party

D=
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: November 06, 2009, 02:12:58 PM »
The Phoenix Wright game is a Wii-make?  Is that confirmed? 

Look at the title of this thread.  Nothing in here is confirmed.  It's just a theory and/or rumor.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: November 13, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »
No mention of the new Lufia game being developed?  It could very well come to the Wii. I'm excited.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20309

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: November 13, 2009, 03:20:45 PM »
That's not a rumor--it's been confirmed.  ;)

There's a talkbalk thread here.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: November 14, 2009, 05:45:56 PM »
Nvidia Tegra system on a chip to power Nintendo's Next-Gen DS System?

When Jen-Hsun Huang, co-founder and CEO of nVidia announced that he expects to see Tegra capturing 50% of nVidia's revenue within the next couple of years, a lot of people thought that this is a smoke screen to sway the attention from its battles against AMD and Intel.

Incredibly how it may sound, from what we are hearing nVidia is dead on achieving its course. With a very aggressive approach, the company managed to sway not just Microsoft with the Zune HD multimedia player  [based on Tegra APX 2600], but also a long-time IBM and ATI customer - Nintendo.

Launched in 2004, the Nintendo DS and its two latter redesigns [DS Lite and DSi] sold in massive 111.49 million units. With almost 40 million handheld consoles sold in United States alone, Nintendo DS owns 68.3% of worldwide market share.

As the time passed by, Nintendo started to work on the successor of its handheld console with a debut planned for late 2010 [Tokyo Game Show?]. According to our confidential sources, Nintendo is going to use Tegra System-on-Chip processor for the successor of DS/DSi handheld console. Unlike the current design, nVidia offered a single-chip proposal to Nintendo, a company famous for keeping the hardware platform absolutely simple.

Given the fact that Nintendo DS hardware is based upon 16-bit and 32-bit ARM cores, it looks like Next-Gen DS could be backwards compatible with the DS application library. According to our sources, all of the apps that came for old DS could run on a single ARM11 core, yet alone the next-gen CorTex-A9-based Tegra, leaving graphics subsystem to do "something smarter".

[...]

Now, the billion dollar question is: if Nintendo chose nVidia for the handheld console, does that mean nVidia may have an entrance into the lucrative Wii business? Bear in mind that Wii console was sold in 53.97 million units, taking almost half of current console market [48.4%, according to VGchartz.com]. Also, we wonder what is going to be in next-generation PlayStation Portable...

I would love to see Nintendo put some horspower into the next DS even if they themselves don't plan on using much of it for graphical purposes. It would be nice to see developers not having to worry about system constraints right from the start, even if that does sometimes lead to creative ways of doing things.

In Theory: Nintendo DS2 vs. Sony PSP2
Speaking under conditions of anonymity, further credible sources from within the mobile graphics industry have provided Digital Foundry with further background detail on the raw technical capabilities of the new hardware. These sources, intimately involved with the alliances and deal-making within their sector, effectively confirm the reported allegiances between Nintendo/NVIDIA and Sony/IMG, but also provide a fascinating insight into the kinds of devices the new handhelds will be, and the power levels we can expect.

In many ways, the next generation of handheld gaming technology will mirror the differences in philosophy seen in today's devices. Nintendo's new machine will offer a modest level of 3D power using established parts, while Sony will once again be aiming for the bleeding edge in mobile performance, which could well come with the same kind of price premium we saw with the launch of the original PSP.

More fuel for the Ninvidia DS2 rumor. There is more detail and speculation at the link above.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: November 14, 2009, 08:23:23 PM »
So there's a ton of technical jargon in that article. All I can really add is that I have a Zune HD and I just downloaded Project Gotham Racing on it a few days ago. It's positively gorgeous on the Zune's small screen (about as good as most PSP games, impressive for a handheld device). This article is suggesting the DS2 using the successor of the Tegra chip found in the Zune HD. Assuming that's true, color me impressed.

Still, does anyone really care that much? That's never been what handheld gaming has been about. Sony can raise the bar on power and they have, but I, for one, still have oodles more fun on DS. Phantasy Star Zero impresses me far more than Phantasy Star Portable and the graphics look about as as good as gaming had to offer 10 years ago.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: November 14, 2009, 09:04:39 PM »
But with the increased power, it can be used for far more than just increased graphics. CPU power is holding the DS back not just graphically, but in multi player, online capabilities and non-gaming applications.

if Nintendo also goes with a kindle-ish setup, that also gives them access to the cell towers, which means the next DS could also have software to use it like a cellphone(I'd imagine with a wireless headset) and maybe even at the same time as playing a game, online multi or on the solo.

But as far as the DS' graphical prowess, it should atleast be on par with a GC (or a Wii depending on who you ask) which is a nice bump higher than the PSP. If Nintendo doesn't neuter the Tegra (like I'm sure many expect them to) it should be somewhere between a GC and Wii in graphical ability with the added benefit of being on a much smaller screen.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: November 16, 2009, 06:15:31 PM »
Is Miyamoto making a Wii Music Plus?

Miyamoto drops 'Wii Music Plus' hints
Monday 16-Nov-2009 4:04 PM

It may have failed to live up to expectations both critically and commercially, but that hasn't stopped Shigeru Miyamoto from insisting his Wii Music still has a future, and even hinting there may be a 'Wii Music Plus' on the cards.

Speaking to Official Nintendo Magazine (full interview to be published in issue 50), Miyamoto said: "[Wii Music] was a really unique game, and even today, we are receiving several different offers from people in the field of music education... I think it still has great potential."

But more likely to perk the ears of creative Wii musician types, he went onto reveal the game could receive some "developments" for the "future"...

"Unfortunately, we don't have any news we can talk about at the moment," he said, coyly. "But like Wii Fit Plus, it's not really a sequel to the original Wii Fit - but we have added some features to improve the overall experience. It's a kind of an enhanced version."

So a vastly improved Wii Music not too far in the distance? It'd be a bit like Hear'Say reforming and being really, really good. (Without sounding too harsh).

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: November 16, 2009, 06:38:04 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me, though this would be worthwhile only if the motions you made affected which notes were played. Otherwise it would be a pretty pointless release.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: November 16, 2009, 06:47:48 PM »
I'll just stick with conductor mode in WW:SM
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: November 17, 2009, 02:57:47 PM »
Wii Music + needs:

- MotionPlus support.
- Music creator.
- A lesson mode on making music.

Add those things in, and I will be sold.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: November 17, 2009, 03:02:05 PM »
How about a lower initial price point?  $20-30 would give the title a better impulse buy feel for what it is, and would make a great Wii accompaniment.  Wii Fit Plus was actually more expensive than Wii Fit, in the end, but truthfully, Wii Music seems like it really wouldn't cost much to make, and so a lower release price could do a lot more for it.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: November 17, 2009, 03:55:07 PM »

The game has been confirmed, but not for Wii or DS.  It could very well be a 360 or PS3 or PSP game. 

Of course, with the new game, I'd rather speculate that it means the first two games are coming to the VC in some capacity. :)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: November 17, 2009, 05:55:55 PM »

The game has been confirmed, but not for Wii or DS.  It could very well be a 360 or PS3 or PSP game. 

Of course, with the new game, I'd rather speculate that it means the first two games are coming to the VC in some capacity. :)

I really hope it is a Wii RPG but I'm more expecting it to be on DS. I do indeed hope the old games come to VC. I never beat them and actually I only played them on emulators back in my heavy piracy days.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: November 17, 2009, 06:33:38 PM »
Wii Music + needs:

- MotionPlus support.
- Music creator.
- A lesson mode on making music.

Add those things in, and I will be sold.

eh... i guess but..

I'll just stick with conductor mode in WW:SM

How about a lower initial price point?  $20-30 would give the title a better impulse buy feel for what it is, and would make a great Wii accompaniment.  Wii Fit Plus was actually more expensive than Wii Fit, in the end, but truthfully, Wii Music seems like it really wouldn't cost much to make, and so a lower release price could do a lot more for it.

That might help too.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: November 17, 2009, 06:59:33 PM »
Since Wii Music wasn't exactly a very well-received game I think it would be better to do more than just a Wii Music Plus.  A full-on sequel would be better.  The common complain about Wii Music is that it is too limited.  It has no way to create your own compositions, no real "game" mode where players can win or lose, and the soundtrack is noticably cheaper than other music games with too much public domain music.

Wii Fit Plus seemed to be designed more for people that didn't own Wii Fit since it offered so little new content.  Personally I think that's a dickish move since it more or less punishs early adopters (fighting games are guilty of this too).  So I guess since Wii Music wasn't as popular the idea here would be to get people that didn't buy it on board.  But I think it just needs so much more to attract that audience.  It needs more than "now with bonus content".  And if you're going to change it that much then you might as well make it a sequel and reward the people that bought the first one.

With this rumour and Wii Fit Plus it makes you wonder if the only reason Wii Sports got a sequel instead of an enhanced version was because it was a pack-in so they know there would be no market for a Wii Sports Plus.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: November 18, 2009, 12:16:59 AM »
When has punishing early adopters ever stopped Nintendo? They've essentially jizzed in the eyes of early adopters two handheld generations in a row.

And course there would be a market for a non-pack-in Wii Sports Plus. Nintendo puts Wii in front of or at the end of anything and itl sells. Don't give consumers too much credit.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: November 18, 2009, 02:57:44 AM »
Since Wii Music wasn't exactly a very well-received game I think it would be better to do more than just a Wii Music Plus.  A full-on sequel would be better.  The common complain about Wii Music is that it is too limited.  It has no way to create your own compositions, no real "game" mode where players can win or lose, and the soundtrack is noticably cheaper than other music games with too much public domain music.

Wii Fit Plus seemed to be designed more for people that didn't own Wii Fit since it offered so little new content.  Personally I think that's a dickish move since it more or less punishs early adopters (fighting games are guilty of this too).  So I guess since Wii Music wasn't as popular the idea here would be to get people that didn't buy it on board.  But I think it just needs so much more to attract that audience.  It needs more than "now with bonus content".  And if you're going to change it that much then you might as well make it a sequel and reward the people that bought the first one.

With this rumour and Wii Fit Plus it makes you wonder if the only reason Wii Sports got a sequel instead of an enhanced version was because it was a pack-in so they know there would be no market for a Wii Sports Plus.

I think Wii Sports had the full on upgrade because of the Motion Plus.  Wii Fit Plus was created to be a cheap upgrade for those with Wii Fit, or a complete title for whomever does not.  It would have been a bigger game had there been a change or upgrade to the physical balance board.

Since there's the Motion Plus, Wii Music could go either way.  It could be an upgrade, it could be a full-fledged sequel, but it has to do with the tools available now, as well as the new ideas Nintendo has come up with on which concept it could be.  I'd imagine in both cases it would still have many of the songs in the first title, though.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: November 20, 2009, 01:29:40 PM »

I really hope it is a Wii RPG but I'm more expecting it to be on DS. I do indeed hope the old games come to VC. I never beat them and actually I only played them on emulators back in my heavy piracy days.
Well, it's going to be a DS game now.  They announced it. I'm kinda bummed but still glad a new one is being made.
Now discussion can be dropped here since it's no longer a rumor. :)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: November 20, 2009, 04:31:49 PM »
Aw, too bad. Oh well, maybe it will still mean that the two SNES Lufia games will come to the VC.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: December 27, 2009, 02:39:09 PM »
NextGen Wii and Larrabee? Hey that rhymes.
Intel is rumored to be in talks with Nintendo for a possible next generation partnership.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumorsArt.cfm?artid=20619

Japanese technology Impress Watch writer Hiroshige Goto has written an article speculates that chip maker Intel is in talks with Nintendo to form a partnership for their next generation console.
According to Goto, Intel is trying to convince Nintendo to use their latest graphics processor, Larrabee, in the Wii's successor. Based on the timing of the talks, the chip would have to be used in their next console rather than the rumored Wii HD system (said to be coming in 2010).
Goto, however, doesn't provide any more information about the talks, explaining that the Larrabee's push for technology might conflict with Nintendo's more conservative approach.

this is the chip that Sony supposedly turned down during a possible chip switch for PS4, citing that it was underperforming and was sucking  up too much wattage.
2 things Nintendo would not like for a next-gen chip.

Intel would have to do some major teakingof the chip to get Nintendo to switch from a IBM/ATi backwards compatible design.