Author Topic: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?  (Read 32938 times)

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Next Nintendo Console to be Announced in June?
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2011, 04:36:20 AM »
I'm in agreement about the rumours getting out of control. What started as one fairly standard rumour dropped by a magazine has exploded into all sorts of random details, a lot of which I believe to be hogwash. It sounds like either some fans are getting carried away with wishful thinking and actually posting these as rumours, or the big media outlets like IGN have seen the opportunity for traffic, so they throw out stuff like a picture of the Classic Controller Pro with a screen Photoshopped onto it.

My personal thoughts on the idea of a controller featuring a small display are mixed. On the one hand, it dredges up memories of Four Swords Adventures, a great example of how the TV screen-to-handheld screen dynamics can be done. On the other hand, this be expensive! Especially throwing in all the other bits and bobs we've heard about, plus it would kill the battery quick. That's why I'm sceptical about this whole thing being real.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »
I've been thinking about the whole "screen on the controller" aspect of the rumor, and honestly it just doesn't make any sense to me.  Why would I want such a feature, especially as a touch screen?

It would be very useful in local multiplayer games so you would have a display which other people in the room couldn't see. Even in single player games it would be useful as a Map or HUD which you could interact with via the stylus to mark locations or do whatever.

Maybe the best way the screen idea could work is if the controller had the ability for peripherals to be added to it, just like the N64 controller. So the screen might be something you would buy separately and then plug it into the controller. This way you wouldn't have a $100 controller, but it might cost $50 and then you can buy the screen later one for another $50. Or the screen could be bundled in with certain games in like a Wii Play type deal where you get the screen plus a game which uses it extensively for one reasonable price.

It seems like Nintendo would want to repeat that strategy, because look how well it worked for Wii Play sales. Wii Play is now one of the best selling games at all time, but most people only bought it for the controller. So it was a smart move. Why would they not want to repeat it?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:13:37 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »
Wii Play is a bad comparison because its another standard controller a better example would be Motion Plus stuff or the balance board.  I own the balance board but not the other because I haven't needed it.  If its not part of the original package its hard to get wide usage and support.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2011, 01:31:42 PM »
Anyway, assuming some measure of backwards compatibility, we almost already have a standard controller in the Classic Controller Pro. It only lacks thumb stick buttons.
Thumb stick buttons? That's the worst idea since Sony's D-pad.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »
I bring up the things in my last post because when I see people complain about Nintendo's systems, that's often what they refer to. Then again, I'd like to see Nintendo take a different approach to the whole situation.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2011, 02:19:34 PM »
Anyway, assuming some measure of backwards compatibility, we almost already have a standard controller in the Classic Controller Pro. It only lacks thumb stick buttons.
Thumb stick buttons? That's the worst idea since Sony's D-pad.

Hmm. It works pretty well for the SIXAXIS, Dual Shock 3, Xbox 360 controller, and some other controllers. I have yet to see how durable it is, but my 360 controller for my PC still has its thumb stick buttons working fine.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2011, 02:28:30 PM »
I just think that an analogue stick button is awkward to use. I have trouble pressing it without pressing a direction on the stick or changing the direction I'm holding, and sometimes I accidentally press it when using the stick. It's an unnecessary button, and I can't think of any game which has so many functions that it needs analogue stick buttons (certainly not any good game).

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »
Quite true. It's most prominent use for me is in first-person shooters where you push the right stick once to activate sprint. Also in first-person shooters, I like pushing the left stick in to preform a melee attack. It's quite satisfying and intuitive. After discovering it, I never had much trouble with the thumb stick buttons as long as they were used intelligently. There are certainly some bad games that want you to press and hold the thumb stick button while moving in a direction.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2011, 04:52:15 PM »
New Rumor

-Pikmin 3 moved to Project Cafe & to be shown @ E3; Nintendo also in talks with R* for solid AAA support.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2011, 06:14:45 PM »
Sometimes I think Nintendo holds Rockstar in too high of a regard.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »
I just think that an analogue stick button is awkward to use. I have trouble pressing it without pressing a direction on the stick or changing the direction I'm holding, and sometimes I accidentally press it when using the stick. It's an unnecessary button, and I can't think of any game which has so many functions that it needs analogue stick buttons (certainly not any good game).
Uncharted and Uncharted 2 say hi. :)

It was a pivotal gameplay mechanic which aided in taking cover -- allowing you to switch views over either should of Nathan Drake to make the appropriate shot. I used it immensely. Fantastic gameplay mechanic, and not once did it mess up my aiming using the right stick.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2011, 07:11:31 PM »
Nintendo also in talks with R* for solid AAA support.

This is consistent with the previous rumor of Nintendo wanting to target the hardcore market. The best way of targeting the hardcore is to get companies like Rockstar on board. Even though its just a rumor I can believe this, because they've done it before when they talked them into bringing Bully to the Wii and Chinatown wars to the DS, so its perfectly in line with what they've done in the past.
is your sanity...

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2011, 01:30:45 AM »
In other news, April Fool's on all the internet.

So many unbelievable rumors that they can't be true everyone. STop the hype train before it crashes and burns.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2011, 01:56:24 AM »
They HYPE train is designed to push expectations so high that "crash & burn" is the only truly expected outcome.

In the rare occasion that the HYPE train actually reaches it's destination fully intact, then.... well, lets not even entertain the idea that something like that is even possible.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2011, 02:28:34 AM »
Hey, when Nintendo first revealed the Wii remote back in fall 2005, I think the hype train made it to the station and minds were blown. I remember saw pictures of the wiimote and thought it was just another fan speculation mockup.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2011, 02:38:53 AM »
They HYPE train is designed to push expectations so high that "crash & burn" is the only truly expected outcome.

In the rare occasion that the HYPE train actually reaches it's destination fully intact, then.... well, lets not even entertain the idea that something like that is even possible.

Hey, the 3DS hype train made it safe and sound, so it can happen!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2011, 02:41:34 AM »
PS3 level graphics....

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2011, 11:10:42 AM »
Forget PS3 level graphics.  This thing is going to have Toy Story level graphics. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2011, 11:36:58 AM »
Forget PS3 level graphics.  This thing is going to have Toy Story level graphics. :D
lol
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »
I was talking about the 3DS.

& forget Toy Story graphics, Wii2 will finally be able to realize Zelda 2000 in real time!! ::)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »
I'm of the opinion that most of this stuff is just the gaming media saying things to build up the hype for E3. If this doesn't come to be at E3 I'm not going to jump out of a window and go emo about it. If it is there fine but if it isn't I'm okay with it.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.