Author Topic: Nintendo vs Apple: FIGHT!!!  (Read 23354 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo vs Apple: FIGHT!!!
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2011, 08:41:39 PM »
As much as I have disdain for iProducts, the iPad 2 is pretty amazing.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2011, 11:05:36 PM »
All Apple did was allow for HDMI-out, and I doubt gaming had much, if anything, to do with that. Hell, Apple's more interested in taking a piece of Sony and Microsoft's living room media machine market (with this and the AppleTV, and the rumored incoming actual Apple TV) than they are in going after Nintendo. Apple is certainly a threat to Nintendo in a few areas, but not because of any real effort toward that on Apple's part.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2011, 11:15:57 PM »
In all actuallity if Nintendo wasn't around Apple would probably have started the move into the Game space already.  Its where they can be profitable and they are running out of places to go.  They have large success in the consumer arena but, they can't crack business yet.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2011, 11:27:02 PM »
Apple's raking in money from gaming on the App Store with next to no effort or resources put into it on their part. I'm not sure it's worth it to them to devote too much effort to it for the fairly modest gains they could hope to have.

J.P. Corbran

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2011, 01:23:55 AM »
next Apple keynote...Jobs introduces Reggie, Iwata, and Miyamoto...and the system is available as the keynote ends.  LOL
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline redgiemental

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2011, 08:32:21 AM »
next Apple keynote...Jobs introduces Reggie, Iwata, and Miyamoto...and the system is available as the keynote ends.  LOL

WWDC is on at the same time as E3 this year.......Co-operation between Nintendo and Apple would be a friggin' nerd ask moment for me however that's so unlikely it's not funny.

As an aside I got an IPad 2 on Canadian launch day, I have to say I'm finding some of the games pretty awesome, there are some shitty games with poorly thought out controls but there are some awesome games on there too.

Superbrothers, Infinity Blade, Burn the rope, Tiny Wings and an awesome version of Chu Chu Rocket have been my favourites since I got it and there's loads more games I've yet to buy.

It's not the best game machine ever, but I know I sure as hell bring my DS with me a lot less than I used to.

(Sent from my iPad :p)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2011, 09:14:38 AM »
The iOS devices are very capable game machines, for certain types of games. The control restrictions mean certain things don't work very well, if at all, but if you design with the system in mind, you can do great things (does that sound familiar to anyone?).

J.P. Corbran

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2011, 01:43:46 AM »
Also, the people bashing the iPhone as a gaming device need to actually play what's there or shut up. There is a lot of really good stuff there; it can be really hard to find among all the crap, but it's there.

I own Nintendo Handhelds and have owned Ipod products from the 2G to the current Touch, so I think I can speak up here.

My favorites are Tiny Wing and...okay, just Tiny Wing.  It's pretty much a mistake to buy anything that has been ported from elsewhere (Dead Space, SSF4, Mirror's Edge, etc.) because of the crappy controls.  They look pretty.

But Tiny Wing is awesome, mainly because it takes a fairly simple mechanic, and only 1 single control input (touch the screen to make your bird go down) and makes an exhilirating experience out of it.

With that said, I've probably put a grand total of 50 minutes into this game, and I'm almost tired of it.  It has the life expectancy of the spinning-top dungeon in Twilight Princess, or the bird gliding level in Galaxy.  The only reason I play it is because I can do so with one hand, while I am rocking my newborn daughter to sleep.  If you have never played a 1st party Nintendo game, pretty much ever, then you would probably think Tiny Wing is the sh*t, because its controls are very tight, possibly the tightest and most accurate on IOS.

But I also think Tiny Wing, and other games like it, are the reason why the 3DS will never sell as much as the DS, not even close.  The casual gamers are gone.  You can't even call them gamers, because while they played Nintendogs and Brain Age, they never bought Phantom Hourglass.  Or maybe they bought New Super Mario Bros, but they probably didn't finish it, much less get to the bonus levels.  They're all playing on the IOS, because they were never that into games in the first place.  There's a complex language, an intuitive lexicon that's a part of gaming, and even more so in Nintendo games, that represents a ridiculously high barrier of entry for these casual consumers.  You see a boss in Zelda at the end of a dungeon, and you know how to use visual clues to figure out how to kill it.  You know that you have to hit the boss 3 times.  You know that you have to use the item you discovered in the dungeon.  You know that there will be some trick which is not immediately obvious.

With Tiny Wing, this isn't the case.  You just touch the screen to make the bird go down, gravity and inertia do the rest.  That's it.  So not only is this game simple and incredibly accessible, it costs just 99 cents.  And while you're only going to get an hour worth of enjoyment out of it, if that, a casual consumer would have gotten to the 1st temple in Phantom Hourglass, said "WTF am I suppose to do?" and given up.

For better or worse, the casuals have gone to Apple and will probably never come back.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2011, 08:03:16 PM »
Steve Jobs said when he was at the top of his game the first time when Apple was new that the only company he really feared was Nintendo. It seems though that Apple and Nintendo don't compete over sales, they compete in who thinks outside the box more.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline johnn

• View Profile
    • Super Mario Toys
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2011, 04:42:54 AM »
These gaming company battles always bring out the best in terms of innovation so let's bring it on!  :cool;